Future plans and a question

Sebastian Riedel

Jan 3, 2011, 4:46:18 PM1/3/11
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
Now that we have reached the magic 1.0 milestone it might be time to talk a little about future plans.
I for one am rather happy with the core API and would really like to "let it settle" for a bit.

So aside from documentation and bug fixing, most new development from me during the next few months will concentrate on the plugin landscape surrounding Mojolicious.
And for those following my recent tweets it might not be a big surprise, but i've been looking into writing an optional (separate distribution) model layer plugin that could turn Mojolicious into a full-stack MVC framework.

That also brings me to the big question.
Which databases are you planning to use in 2011/2012 and how would you like Mojolicious to be optimized for it? :)

--
Sebastian Riedel
http://blog.kraih.com

Sebastian Riedel

Jan 3, 2011, 5:01:25 PM1/3/11
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
> Which databases are you planning to use in 2011/2012 and how would you like Mojolicious to be optimized for it? :)

Btw. For myself it will most likely be MongoDB (http://www.mongodb.org/), because of its unique combination of schemaless storage and ad-hoc queries.

David Davis

Jan 3, 2011, 5:03:19 PM1/3/11
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
Riak.  Protocol Buffers Client support is worth talking about, but not at all necessary.

David Davis
☄ Software Engineer
http://xant.us/
http://xantus.tel/

Jason Dixon

Jan 3, 2011, 5:04:41 PM1/3/11
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 10:46:18PM +0100, Sebastian Riedel wrote:
> Now that we have reached the magic 1.0 milestone it might be time to talk a little about future plans.
> I for one am rather happy with the core API and would really like to "let it settle" for a bit.
>
> So aside from documentation and bug fixing, most new development from me during the next few months will concentrate on the plugin landscape surrounding Mojolicious.
> And for those following my recent tweets it might not be a big surprise, but i've been looking into writing an optional (separate distribution) model layer plugin that could turn Mojolicious into a full-stack MVC framework.
>
> That also brings me to the big question.
> Which databases are you planning to use in 2011/2012 and how would you like Mojolicious to be optimized for it? :)

The "big three" open source RDBMS (MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite), MongoDB
and possibly Redis. I've only recently started working with ORM but the
idea of having something akin to Ruby/ActiveRecord's migrations would be
welcome.

Thanks!

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting

Marty Tennison

Jan 3, 2011, 5:06:15 PM1/3/11
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
I'm building an eCommerce framework on top of Mojolicious so my requirements may not be common.  I'm using Mojolicious with PostgreSQL and Rose-DB for the heavy lifting and Sqlite with Rose-DB for the configuration stuff.  I may use Mongo for things like recently viewed products and wish lists, but I have not gotten that far yet.

So far (I am a relative newbie to Mojolicous) I cannot find anything that slows me down concerning database integration with Mojolicious. Postgres and Rose went right in with no problems and play very nice with Mojo.

full-stack MVC framework?  Interesting to see what you come up with.

Sergey Sinkovsky

Jan 3, 2011, 5:19:50 PM1/3/11
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
Hi-

First of all, thanks for awesome framework! And congratulations on reaching 1.0 milestone.

Answering your question: I started using mongodb recently, so mongodb support will be great and SQL databases which are supported by DBI as well.

Sergey Sinkovsky

Marcus Ramberg

Jan 3, 2011, 5:35:43 PM1/3/11
to Mojolicious
+1 for me on mongodb support :)

On Jan 3, 11:19 pm, Sergey Sinkovsky <glorybox.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi-
>
> First of all, thanks for awesome framework! And congratulations on reaching
> 1.0 milestone.
>
> Answering your question: I started using mongodb recently, so mongodb
> support will be great and SQL databases which are supported by DBI as well.
>

> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:06 AM, Marty Tennison <ma...@dripdepot.com> wrote:
> > I'm building an eCommerce framework on top of Mojolicious so my
> > requirements may not be common.  I'm using Mojolicious
> > with PostgreSQL and Rose-DB for the heavy lifting and Sqlite
> > with Rose-DB for the configuration stuff.  I may use Mongo for things like
> > recently viewed products and wish lists, but I have not gotten that far yet.
>
> > So far (I am a relative newbie to Mojolicous) I cannot find anything that
> > slows me down concerning database integration with Mojolicious. Postgres and
> > Rose went right in with no problems and play very nice with Mojo.
>
> > *full-stack MVC framework? * Interesting to see what you come up with.
>
> > --
> > .

Rainer Lopes

Jan 3, 2011, 6:04:17 PM1/3/11
to mojol...@googlegroups.com

Congratulations for the splendid work he is doing with the framework!

 I am an Oracle DBA in Brazil and I'm using Mojolicious to create applications for remote administration of the Oracle database. It's been fun to use the framework and make it all work!

 We use a database in DB2, MySQL. Therefore, the corporate world is also eyeing this framework.

 Again, congratulations!

 All the best
 Rainer

Glen Hinkle

Jan 3, 2011, 8:13:57 PM1/3/11
to Mojolicious
Riak, particularly because of the Search add-on.

Drizzle (mysql), and Oracle.

It would be nice to have an object model that is database agnostic.
I'd like to be able to switch between relational, nosql, and even a
fuse-based solution without changing controller code.

From what I understand, django's model has that level of abstraction.

Justin Hawkins

Jan 3, 2011, 8:23:15 PM1/3/11
to mojol...@googlegroups.com

On 04/01/2011, at 11:43 AM, Glen Hinkle wrote:

> Riak, particularly because of the Search add-on.
>
> Drizzle (mysql), and Oracle.
>
> It would be nice to have an object model that is database agnostic.
> I'd like to be able to switch between relational, nosql, and even a
> fuse-based solution without changing controller code.

While this is possible (and has been done many times), I don't like the restriction in functionality (especially when using SQL based backends) that this entails.

I'm sure this NoSQL fad is going to run out of steam soon :-)

For the record, I use PostgreSQL everywhere, but haven't had any trouble using Rose::DB::Object with Mojolicious.

- Justin

--
Justin Hawkins
jus...@hawkins.id.au

seifer

Jan 4, 2011, 5:46:54 AM1/4/11
to Mojolicious
ORM with universal interface to db. In first step need drivers for
mongodb and mysql/percona. Mysql surely with HandlerSocket protocol,
it's very need.

Glen Hinkle

Jan 4, 2011, 8:51:38 AM1/4/11
to Mojolicious
+1 for handlersocket.

kberov

Jan 4, 2011, 11:17:06 AM1/4/11
to Mojolicious
(MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite) ++

Do not forget Unicode support and especially UTF-8 (should be
default).
Proper, Transparent encoding/decoding of textual data(only) on the way
IN/OUT needs to be done like in request handling.

For what I mean: http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/BANB/DBIx-Simple-UTF8Columns-0.03/lib/DBIx/Simple/UTF8Columns.pm

kberov

Jan 4, 2011, 11:26:22 AM1/4/11
to Mojolicious
In addition the ability to construct your object from an SQL SELECT
is mandatory IMHO.
Mojo::Base seems just quite enough to be used to make a simple but
feature-full ORM.
No fancy inheritance algorithms if possible... etc
> For what I mean:http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/BANB/DBIx-Simple-UTF8Columns-0.03/lib/...

ty

Jan 4, 2011, 12:46:51 PM1/4/11
to Mojolicious
I use Oracle, Mysql, and SQLite with Rose::DB::Object ORM.

Анатолий Шарифулин

Jan 4, 2011, 1:19:52 PM1/4/11
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
Now I use MySQL, but I think about NoSQL storages (i.e. MongoDB or MemBase).

MongoDB in Mojolicious box is very interesting.

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:46 AM, Sebastian Riedel <kra...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Now that we have reached the magic 1.0 milestone it might be time to talk a little about future plans.
I for one am rather happy with the core API and would really like to "let it settle" for a bit.

So aside from documentation and bug fixing, most new development from me during the next few months will concentrate on the plugin landscape surrounding Mojolicious.
And for those following my recent tweets it might not be a big surprise, but i've been looking into writing an optional (separate distribution) model layer plugin that could turn Mojolicious into a full-stack MVC framework.

That also brings me to the big question.
Which databases are you planning to use in 2011/2012 and how would you like Mojolicious to be optimized for it? :)

--
С уважением,
 Анатолий Шарифулин.

t...@dix.cz

Jan 4, 2011, 2:07:29 PM1/4/11
to mojol...@googlegroups.com

At first thanks for Mojo again.

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011, Sebastian Riedel wrote:

> Now that we have reached the magic 1.0 milestone it might be time to talk a little about future plans.

It's not about plugins, but it would be realy nice to keep Mojo be able to
run as CGI (no persistant process) ie reasonably fast startup.
It is useful for tiny "applications" like forms for change user password,
email vacation notify and such...
Beside this it is fine in shared hosting with agressive idle process
purging under mod_fcgid/fastcgi.

> I for one am rather happy with the core API and would really like to "let it settle" for a bit.
>
> So aside from documentation and bug fixing, most new development from me during the next few months will concentrate on the plugin landscape surrounding Mojolicious.
> And for those following my recent tweets it might not be a big surprise, but i've been looking into writing an optional (separate distribution) model layer plugin that could turn Mojolicious into a full-stack MVC framework.
>
> That also brings me to the big question.
> Which databases are you planning to use in 2011/2012 and how would you like Mojolicious to be optimized for it? :)

Mostly Postgres and LDAP for authentication/authorization.

regards,
Tomas

Sebastian Riedel

Jan 4, 2011, 11:03:13 PM1/4/11
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
> It's not about plugins, but it would be realy nice to keep Mojo be able to
> run as CGI (no persistant process) ie reasonably fast startup.

I'm not sure where this perception might come from, but let me reassure you that there are currently no plans to make Mojolicious heavier or even unusable in CGI environments.
While the main focus of optimization will always be serious persistent environments like Hypnotoad, we will make sure to keep CGI reasonably fast.

My idea of a "full-stack" framework can be realized entirely with plugins, so it will be your decision to "opt-in" or just stick with the basic Mojolicious framework. ;)

Dominik

Apr 26, 2011, 12:03:59 PM4/26/11
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
MySQL, of course.

hvo-pm

Apr 27, 2011, 9:13:35 AM4/27/11
to Mojolicious

On Apr 26, 6:03 pm, Dominik <dominik.sch...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> MySQL, of course.

See: http://search.cpan.org/dist/Mojolicious-Plugin-Database/

Dominik Schulz

Apr 27, 2011, 9:34:19 AM4/27/11
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
I'm still not sure that this is the right way to do it. Connecting immedeately after plugin setup will cause trouble in pre-forking environments.

This looks more that the right way to do it: http://svn.depesz.com/svn/Explain_Depesz_Com/branches/metys/lib/Explain/Plugin/Database.pm

Abhijit Menon-Sen

Apr 27, 2011, 10:22:30 AM4/27/11
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
At 2011-04-27 15:34:19 +0200, dominik...@googlemail.com wrote:

> I'm still not sure that this is the right way to do it. Connecting
> immedeately after plugin setup will cause trouble in pre-forking
> environments.

Yes, which is why the latest version of the plugin doesn't do it.

-- ams

Ben van Staveren

Apr 27, 2011, 10:30:29 AM4/27/11
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dominik,

The latest version doesn't - it just sets up an empty attribute, the sub will
provide it with a default value the first time it's called. Usually in any
application, by the time you need access to your database, it's already
forked, and your first call to the helper will result in the database being
connected.

It's not very heavy on error checking, however. Something I'll have to add :)

As always, if you think of improvements, or you spot bugs in any of my
plugins, head on over to github and file an issue for it. patches, test cases,
questions and such always welcome :)

--
Ben van Staveren
phone: +62 81 70777529