If Perl is dead ...

Scott

Jan 24, 2013, 1:04:18 PM1/24/13
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
Not to upset anyone, as I do not intend to stop using or learning Perl anytime soon (and it is not dead), but if I were to take the recommendation in the infamous presentation and learn a new language, that would also imply that I would learn a new framework. If that language would be Ruby (because rvm seems to be like perlbrew and I heard somewhere that Ruby is suppose to be kinda cool), what frameworks in the Ruby land are the most similar to Mojolicious (because I compare everything to Mojolicious). Per the Plack project page that would be Merb and Sinatra. Any opinions?

Long live Perl and Mojolicious!

- Scott

Scott Elcomb

Jan 24, 2013, 1:18:47 PM1/24/13
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
Crawling out from my long-time lurker's hole, I'll go out on a limb
and recommend JavaScript (Node.js and NPM) and the Express framework
over Ruby.

I've nothing against Ruby; over the last few years I've simply
migrated from Perl to JS.

> Long live Perl and Mojolicious!

+1!

--
Scott Elcomb
@psema4 on Twitter / Identi.ca / Github & more

Atomic OS: Self Contained Microsystems
http://code.google.com/p/atomos/

Member of the Pirate Party of Canada
http://www.pirateparty.ca/

Charlie Brady

Jan 24, 2013, 4:14:04 PM1/24/13
to mojol...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013, Scott wrote:

> imply that I would learn a new framework. If that language would be Ruby
> (because rvm seems to be like perlbrew and I heard somewhere that Ruby is
> suppose to be kinda cool), what frameworks in the Ruby land are the most
> similar to Mojolicious (because I compare everything to Mojolicious).

If you aren't just trolling, then perhaps you should ask in Ruby land.

Scott

Jan 24, 2013, 5:32:10 PM1/24/13
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:14:04 PM UTC-6, Charlie Brady wrote:

If you aren't just trolling, then perhaps you should ask in Ruby land.

Sorry, I was not trying to troll and start something. My title was in reference to Stevan Little's talk "Perl is not Dead, it is a Dead End," in which he recommended programming in other languages when time allows. I thought this forum would be a good place to ask as I wanted the opinion of user's experienced with Mojolicious first and foremost. I apologize for using this forum in the wrong way.

- Scott

Wes Cravens

Jan 24, 2013, 5:43:15 PM1/24/13
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
On 1/24/2013 4:32 PM, Scott wrote:
> > On Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:14:04 PM UTC-6, Charlie Brady wrote:
> > If you aren't just trolling, then perhaps you should ask in Ruby land.

> I apologize for using this forum in the wrong way.

I just want to +1 this thread. I think seeking these opinions from
fellow Mojo advocates is a really good idea.

I also took note to the 'try other things' idea as I'm as guilty as
others at this neglect. I just tried to find a link to the video but
can't seem to find it. The slides:
https://speakerdeck.com/stevan_little/perl-is-not-dead-it-is-a-dead-end

Today I'm only tempted by JS and Ruby. Scala and Go have me intrigued
but like so many great languages before them they may not get an
occupational base going. And this is important to me from a teaching
and recruitment standpoint.

In any case, I'm following this thread with interest; if for no other
reason than playing with other frameworks is a great way to inspire
ideas on how to improve Mojo, either through core or plugins.

Thanks Scott,

Wes

lenz

Jan 24, 2013, 7:46:49 PM1/24/13
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
interesting question but i think you may have taken the wrong angle to
look at this.

i do a lot of my code in perl, but i am always playing with other
languages and can only recommend it. the one language that i use a lot
and see really taking off in many areas is erlang. i have written a
fair amount of my infrastructure in it and there is plenty of very
well paid jobs around for erlang devs.

never mind the opinion about the market share of perl and where it is
going, knowing only one language well is always limiting. the beauty
of erlang is that it complements perl so well, i use it in many places
where it is better suited than perl, not as a replacement for perl.
the other beauty of erlang is that it introduces many concepts (being
a functional language) that are not so common in perl but can add
quite useful pattern to solving problems in perl. by knowing erlang i
became a better perl developer and having two languages that
complement each other well has proven a very good mix.

interesting enough, i never tried to do any web facing things in
erlang, i use mojolicious for it (or catalyst for the old projects i
still maintain).

cheers
lenz

Robert Stockdale

Jan 25, 2013, 12:15:32 AM1/25/13
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
I second that. Erlang is quite an amazing language and definitely worth learning. I've been picking it up on the side lately since our management has decided that we shouldn't do anything new in perl due to the difficulty of hiring perl devers. It definitely wasn't for a lack of trying. Oh well, It's off to Java land for me...

-Bob

Bob Stockdale
robert.s...@gmail.com

Wes Cravens

Jan 25, 2013, 4:02:45 AM1/25/13
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
On 1/24/2013 11:15 PM, Robert Stockdale wrote:
> I second that. Erlang is quite an amazing language and definitely worth
> learning. I've been picking it up on the side lately since our
> management has decided that we shouldn't do anything new in perl due to
> the difficulty of hiring perl devers. It definitely wasn't for a lack of
> trying. Oh well, It's off to Java land for me...

Just to add to the 'Perl is not Dead' part... This is actually part of
the problem with the perl community. Companies need to learn how to
'build' perl developers, not 'find' them. :-/

Wes
> <mailto:mojolicious%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> <mailto:mojol...@googlegroups.com>.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/mojolicious?hl=en.
>

> --
> Bob Stockdale
> robert.s...@gmail.com <mailto:robert.s...@gmail.com>

Revlin John

Jan 25, 2013, 6:51:50 PM1/25/13
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
Holy crap, these are some funny slides. Freaking brilliant presentation.
Hope someone can come up with a video link soon  :D

  I just tried to find a link to the video but
can't seem to find it.  The slides:
https://speakerdeck.com/stevan_little/perl-is-not-dead-it-is-a-dead-end

Thanks Scott,

Wes

Revlin John

Jan 25, 2013, 9:31:18 PM1/25/13
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
btw, for those who make it to the end of the slide presentation and want to check out https://github.com/stevan/moe go instead to https://github.com/MoeOrganization/moe (is he able to update his slides? if he can, maybe he should)

Rev

Robert Stockdale

Jan 26, 2013, 1:43:50 AM1/26/13
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 4:02 AM, Wes Cravens <wcra...@cortex-it.com> wrote:
On 1/24/2013 11:15 PM, Robert Stockdale wrote:
> I second that. Erlang is quite an amazing language and definitely worth
> learning. I've been picking it up on the side lately since our
> management has decided that we shouldn't do anything new in perl due to
> the difficulty of hiring perl devers. It definitely wasn't for a lack of
> trying. Oh well, It's off to Java land for me...

Just to add to the 'Perl is not Dead' part... This is actually part of
the problem with the perl community.  Companies need to learn how to
'build' perl developers, not 'find' them. :-/

Wes

We tried that too, for about a year now. It was very difficult to get people excited about working in perl. We literally couldn't even get people to try it. It is really sad imho. Unfortunately the path of least resistance is to hire the slew of java developers that are being cranked out of universities these days. Such is life. My hope at this point is that perl 6 will revitalize the hype around perl and get people excited about it.

Bob Stockdale
robert.s...@gmail.com

Lyle

Jan 26, 2013, 6:17:21 AM1/26/13
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
On 26/01/2013 06:43, Robert Stockdale wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 4:02 AM, Wes Cravens <wcra...@cortex-it.com
> <mailto:wcra...@cortex-it.com>> wrote:
>
> On 1/24/2013 11:15 PM, Robert Stockdale wrote:
> > I second that. Erlang is quite an amazing language and
> definitely worth
> > learning. I've been picking it up on the side lately since our
> > management has decided that we shouldn't do anything new in perl
> due to
> > the difficulty of hiring perl devers. It definitely wasn't for a
> lack of
> > trying. Oh well, It's off to Java land for me...
>
> Just to add to the 'Perl is not Dead' part... This is actually part of
> the problem with the perl community. Companies need to learn how to
> 'build' perl developers, not 'find' them. :-/
>
> Wes
>

> We tried that too, for about a year now. It was very difficult to get
> people excited about working in perl. We literally couldn't even get
> people to try it. It is really sad imho. Unfortunately the path of
> least resistance is to hire the slew of java developers that are being
> cranked out of universities these days. Such is life. My hope at this
> point is that perl 6 will revitalize the hype around perl and get
> people excited about it.

Ben: That Perl is our last hope
Yoda: No... There is another
Ben: Really???
Yoda: Well, if include Perl 6 on different platforms there is

Lyle

> > -Bob
> >

> > On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 7:46 PM, lenz <nor...@gmail.com
> <mailto:nor...@gmail.com>
> > <mailto:mojolicious%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:mojolicious%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>>.
> > To post to this group, send email to
> mojol...@googlegroups.com <mailto:mojol...@googlegroups.com>
> > <mailto:mojol...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:mojol...@googlegroups.com>>.
> > Visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/mojolicious?hl=en.
> > For more options, visit
> https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
> >

> > --
> > Bob Stockdale
> > robert.s...@gmail.com <mailto:robert.s...@gmail.com>
> <mailto:robert.s...@gmail.com
> <mailto:robert.s...@gmail.com>>
> >
> > --
> mojol...@googlegroups.com <mailto:mojol...@googlegroups.com>.
> > Visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/mojolicious?hl=en.

sri

Jan 26, 2013, 7:57:17 AM1/26/13
to Mojolicious
It's always good to learn new languages, knowing JavaScript and Ruby
as well as people from their respective communities gave me a lot of
ideas for Mojolicious. Just recently i've started learning Scala, and
it has been quite inspiring so far.

If you want to have a positive impact on the development of Perl 5,
just subscribe to the perl5-porters mailing list and be supportive of
new features. Or in the case of subroutine signatures, send a mail to
Peter Martini (peterc...@gmail.com) and thank him for his work and
for putting up with the p5p naysayers. Small gestures like that do
wonders for motivation. ;)

--
sebastian

Xiao Yafeng

Jan 29, 2013, 11:07:51 PM1/29/13
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
I've noticed Scala because of moe. perl's weakness is its implementation. Hope Stevan little's effort would bring perl communities fresh air.