Is Mojolicious "Model-Centric"?

Ilias Lazaridis

Oct 31, 2011, 11:46:00 AM10/31/11
to Mojolicious
Hello.

Is "Mojolicious" "Model-Centric" (or can I work with it that way), as
described here?

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.php/browse_frm/thread/431fb8e4958a1aff#

If not, can you please point me to a perl framework which operates
this way?

Thank you!

.

--
http://lazaridis.com

Ilias Lazaridis

Nov 1, 2011, 8:34:05 AM11/1/11
to Mojolicious

On 31 Οκτ, 17:46, Ilias Lazaridis <il...@lazaridis.com> wrote:>
Hello.> > Is "Mojolicious" "Model-Centric" (or can I work with it that
way), as> described here?> > http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.php/browse_frm/thread/431fb8...
Sorry, this was the php related link. Here's the correct one:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.perl.misc/browse_frm/thread/3eefbd96c924350a#
I'm looking in paralell within php/perl domain, after dropping python
and ruby. my tendendyis to use a perl based frameword, as perl is
already used on sys-admin level. > If not, can you please point me to

Dotan Dimet

Nov 1, 2011, 9:28:55 AM11/1/11
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
I'd say Mojolicious is model-agnostic; it doesn't include any code for working with a model - it's up to the application developer to decide how to represent and access whatever data needs to be presented or processed.

You may want to look at DBIx::Class which is a mature and feature-rich Perl ORM that lets you generate your model classes automatically from your database schema or vice-versa.

Of the other Perl web frameworks, maybe look at Jifty? I recall it's a full-stack framework that's model-centric (http://jifty.org/)
believed to be clean.

Ilias Lazaridis

Nov 3, 2011, 7:49:57 AM11/3/11
to Mojolicious

On 1 Νοέ, 15:28, Dotan Dimet <do...@corky.net> wrote:
> I'd say Mojolicious is model-agnostic; it doesn't include any code for working with a model - it's up to the application developer to decide how to represent and access whatever data needs to be presented or processed.

I understand.

If it is a "A next generation web framework for the Perl programming
language.", it should at least provide an small example (e.g. blog),
build on top of different data-systems, simply to showcase it's
flexibility.

Because if I understand things right, Mojolicious *is* Model-Centric,
if I choose it to be.

> You may want to look at DBIx::Class which is a mature and feature-rich Perl ORM that lets you generate your model classes automatically from your database schema or vice-versa.

Sounds intresting. Thus a framework which can use DBIx::Class would
become "Model-Centric".

> Of the other Perl web frameworks, maybe look at Jifty? I recall it's a full-stack framework that's model-centric (http://jifty.org/)

This one looks intresting. The website is apparently an
"understatement" (framework provides more than the website initially
shows).

Does jifty use DBIx:Class ?

http://search.cpan.org/dist/Jifty/lib/Jifty/Manual/Tutorial.pod#Building_your_data_model

If yes, I coulde the reuse the same model with mojolicious, too?

>> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.perl.misc/browse_frm/thread/3eefbd96c924350a#

--
http://lazaridis.com

Vick Khera

Nov 3, 2011, 9:08:51 AM11/3/11
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
2011/11/3 Ilias Lazaridis <il...@lazaridis.com>:

> Does jifty use DBIx:Class ?

Jifty uses approximately half of CPAN based on the last time we tried
to install it to evaluate it. :)

Ilias Lazaridis

Nov 3, 2011, 6:41:40 PM11/3/11
to Mojolicious
So, the answer is "yes"

I understand that it has many dependencies - in contrast to
mojolicious.

Is there any sample/tutorial with mojolicious & DBIx:Class available?

.

--
http://lazaridis.com

John Stoffel

Nov 4, 2011, 11:45:30 AM11/4/11
to mojol...@googlegroups.com

Ilias> On 3 Νοέ, 15:08, Vick Khera <vi...@khera.org> wrote:
>> 2011/11/3 Ilias Lazaridis <il...@lazaridis.com>:
>>
>> > Does jifty use DBIx:Class ?
>>
>> Jifty uses approximately half of CPAN based on the last time we tried
>> to install it to evaluate it. :)

Ilias> So, the answer is "yes"

Ilias> I understand that it has many dependencies - in contrast to
Ilias> mojolicious.

Ilias> Is there any sample/tutorial with mojolicious & DBIx:Class
Ilias> available?

I'll second this request. When I'm writing web apps, it's mostly to
wrap a search interface around an existing set of data in a format and
naming scheme that I have zero control over. And I'm doing it for
fun. Hah! So some examples of how to build a search interface would
be nice.

For me, that would end up being my scaffold, since I'd then just copy
in an example and then customize it to meet my requirements for
searching. I don't need CRUD, I don't want tables.

I do want:

pagination of results
easy passing of search strings.
- so I can refine them
easy custom SQL queries

So I started on all this last winter, but then summer kicked in and I
lost interest. Now that's it cold again, Mojolicious rears it's
head. Or Javascript (jquery) with PHP.

John