MochiKit 1.4 released

Per Cederberg

Oct 21, 2008, 6:32:05 AM10/21/08
to MochiKit
MochiKit 1.4 has now been released and is available on the web site:

http://mochikit.com/download.html

The full change history from version 1.3.1 is rather lengthy, but you
can find it on our web site:

http://mochikit.com/doc/html/MochiKit/index.html#version-history

As far as I know, there should be no backwards-incompatible API
changes between 1.3.1 and 1.4. If you happen to find one, please let
us know through this mailing list so that we can update the docs
and/or fix the issues.

Finally, many thanks to everyone who contributed code, documentation,
bug reports, ideas and everything else during this long development
cycle. Looking forward to hear from you all during the 1.5
development.

Cheers,

/Per

David Janes

Oct 21, 2008, 6:39:02 AM10/21/08
to Per Cederberg, MochiKit
Woot! Congrats to all involved.
--
David Janes
Mercenary Programmer

SanderElias

Oct 21, 2008, 10:24:35 AM10/21/08
to MochiKit
Hi,

Congrats on the new release! It's good to finally show the progress!

Regards
Sander

csnyder

Oct 21, 2008, 12:28:11 PM10/21/08
to Per Cederberg, MochiKit
On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 6:32 AM, Per Cederberg <cede...@gmail.com> wrote:

> MochiKit 1.4 has now been released and is available on the web site.

Congrats, and thanks for all of your hard work putting the release together!

It has been a real pleasure to use such a stable codebase in our
projects, and not have to worry that the api is going to break on a
whim, or that we'll want to use a feature that isn't documented yet.

I feel like MochiKit really has my back, and that is tremendously enabling.

Chris Snyder
Director, Center for Internet Innovation
Fund for the City of New York
http://www.fcny.org/

Jason Bunting

Oct 21, 2008, 12:35:48 PM10/21/08
to Per Cederberg, MochiKit
Congrats and thanks to everyone involved for all of the hard work that goes
into maintaining this stable toolkit!

Jason Bunting

> 9:10 AM

Bob Ippolito

Oct 21, 2008, 5:45:02 PM10/21/08
to Jason Bunting, Per Cederberg, MochiKit
Awesome! Thanks for all the hard work everyone, I owe many of you beers :)

Arnar Birgisson

Oct 21, 2008, 6:01:57 PM10/21/08
to Bob Ippolito, Jason Bunting, Per Cederberg, MochiKit
Congrats to the MochiKit team!

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 23:45, Bob Ippolito <b...@redivi.com> wrote:
> Awesome! Thanks for all the hard work everyone, I owe many of you beers :)

Then I owe you a case. Well, technically my previous employer does -
but I'll be glad to buy you a beer next time you are in Iceland. :)

Per: Many thanks for taking matters by such firm hands lately. I hope
the countless people begging for a release here realize what kind of
an effort it is.

cheers,
Arnar

troels knak-nielsen

Oct 21, 2008, 6:09:34 PM10/21/08
to MochiKit
On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 12:01 AM, Arnar Birgisson <arn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Per: Many thanks for taking matters by such firm hands lately. I hope
> the countless people begging for a release here realize what kind of
> an effort it is.

We do. It's appreciated.

--
troels

Amit Mendapara

Oct 22, 2008, 1:26:11 AM10/22/08
to MochiKit
Congrats and many thanks to all who made it possible. I'm sure we
could reveal even better next time. Thanks Per...

- Amit Mendapara

Christoph Zwerschke

Oct 23, 2008, 1:54:06 AM10/23/08
to MochiKit
Arnar Birgisson wrote:
> Per: Many thanks for taking matters by such firm hands lately. I hope
> the countless people begging for a release here realize what kind of
> an effort it is.

As one of those who requested a version 1.4 some months ago I also want
to say thank you, particularly to Per and Bob.

These days it seems a lot of dreams come true :)

Quote from the TurboGears list:

Oh, wow, can we expect Hurd and Duke Nukem forever next? ;)

-- Christoph

Leo Soto M.

Oct 23, 2008, 4:49:21 PM10/23/08
to Per Cederberg, MochiKit
On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 7:32 AM, Per Cederberg <cede...@gmail.com> wrote:

> MochiKit 1.4 has now been released and is available on the web site

Congratulations guys! This has been a lot of hard and good work!

--
Leo Soto M.
http://blog.leosoto.com

Amit Mendapara

Oct 24, 2008, 2:23:21 AM10/24/08
to MochiKit
Hello Per,

Several files in the downloadable zip package have permission
issues (on Linux). Please make sure that it's packaged properly
with correct access permissions.

- Amit Mendapara

Per Cederberg

Oct 24, 2008, 2:51:21 AM10/24/08
to MochiKit
Yes, I noted the same thing yesterday. Seems to be an issue with
permissions for all generated files. I'm building this on Linux and
the input files seem to have correct permissions on my machine. But
after packing and unpacking something weird happens.

I'll look into this. Seems to be an issue with zipfile.ZipFile and in
particular the writestr function in Python. Perhaps somebody else
knows what is going on there?

Cheers,

/Per

Per Cederberg

Oct 24, 2008, 4:10:43 AM10/24/08
to MochiKit
Ok, I think it is fixed now. New version is available on the download
page. I have not bumped the version number, since it is just a
packaging issue.

The root cause seems to be the following Zip handling bug in Python:

http://bugs.python.org/issue3394

Due to this fix, I've also been forced to reluctantly inaugurate a
brand new svn branch for 1.4. Please add any regression fixes to 1.4
there (and drop a mail on the list).

Thanks,

/Per

Fred Drake

Oct 24, 2008, 8:58:56 AM10/24/08
to Per Cederberg, MochiKit
On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 4:10 AM, Per Cederberg <cede...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, I think it is fixed now. New version is available on the download
> page. I have not bumped the version number, since it is just a
> packaging issue.

One thing we've learned in the Zope community is that packaging bugs
are bugs to. Creating a different release really deserves a new
version number. I know those integers can be expensive, but I think
not alarmingly so. :-)

Seriously, thanks for the work you're doing getting the release out.
That's definitely appreciated.

-Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake at gmail.com>