Removal of Bacon integration

floehopper

May 18, 2009, 8:23:40 AM5/18/09
to mocha-developer
I just wanted to everyone a heads-up. I'm planning on removing the
Bacon integration code from Mocha. I realise this may be frustrating
for some of you, but here's why...

There are ever increasing numbers of Ruby testing frameworks being
written and I don't want to become responsible for maintaining
integration with every one of them - this would mean running tests in
so many combinations that it would quickly become untenable. I also do
not want to be accused of favouritism towards any one testing
framework. However, I will continue to support integration with
Test::Unit and MiniTest, because these are both standard libraries in
recent versions of Ruby.

Rspec has offered integration with Mocha for a long time, but the
Rspec team has always maintained this themselves. I would hope that
the Bacon team would be prepared to do the same. If not, I think the
best solution would be to set-up a fork of Bacon including optional
integration with Mocha.

I'll always be happy to help anyone who wants to integrate Mocha into
their testing framework, but I will be removing the built-in support
for Bacon in the next Mocha release.

Thanks, James.