Letters to and from Dr Mike Clark, UK HPA

news.omega

Sep 24, 2007, 4:27:43 PM9/24/07
to mobilfunk_...@googlegroups.com

WiFi In Schools

Letters to and from Dr Mike Clark

Spokesperson FOR HPA Radiation Protection Division

The letter below was emailed to Dr Mike Clark of the Health Protection Agency on 17th September in response to his reply (copied below this letter) to my original letter to him some months before.

In my letter below I have highlighted key points in Dr Clark’s reply that I think will be of general interest.

My original letter, copied below his reply, includes a statement of my intent to copy both that letter and his reply to other interested parties, and my understanding that he would be agreeable to any reply that he sent being disseminated in this way.  There is of course no breach of confidentiality or ethics in making public text which Dr Clark sent in full knowledge that it would be made public - he had the option of stating that he wouldn’t want to comment under such circumstances.

Dr Grahame Blackwell

www.starweave.com

Dear Dr Clark

Thank you for your recent response to my letter received by you almost three months ago.  I'm only sorry that it has taken no less than three follow-up recorded-delivery letters, plus a specific request written on my behalf by my local MP, to elicit a response from the spokesperson for a national advisory body.

I'm rather disappointed also that, despite all the time you've taken to reply, you don't appear to have squarely addressed any of the points that I raised in my letter nor have you answered any of my questions.  In particular you have signally failed to answer the question posed at the end of that letter: Given your reported confirmation that we are "all guinea pigs in some multi-billion pound commercial experiment", are we to understand that you and your colleagues at the HPA are in agreement with the nation’s children becoming the youngest, arguably the most vulnerable and probably the most thoroughly exposed guinea pigs in that commercial experiment?

This is far from being a frivolous question.  Both the Stewart Report and the follow-up NRPB (now HPA-RPD) Report warned of “scientific evidence … which suggests that there may be biological effects occurring at exposures below [ICNIRP] guidelines.”  The Spectrum Management Advisory Group, which reports directly to government ministers, states in its Position Paper on WiFi that “Note should be taken of the recommendations in the Stewart Report on Health Effects in the Use of Mobile Phones” and “Adaptive r.f. power control should be an important part of system design, thereby minimising the overall level of r.f. energy emitted.”

These cautionary observations on the health issue, including one from your own organization, do not sit well with advice from that same body that there is “no reason why schools and others should not use WiFi equipment.”  Your stand appears remarkably similar to that of the officials of Amity Island (of ‘Jaws’ fame): “Yes, there have been reported sightings of a great white shark in the bay - but there’s absolutely no reason why your kids shouldn’t go out swimming.”

I note that you have been highly selective – and somewhat obvious – in your choice of wording in your response to my letter.  For example, you have avoided my quote from HPA advice on use of WiFi in schools (copied above) in favour of a different sentence that includes the phrase continue to be used in schools” [my emphasis].  This gives the impression that your advice is aimed only at schools that already have WiFi installed, which is demonstrably not the case, as evidenced above.

You likewise refer to remarks attributed to Lawrie Challis in relation to definite non-thermal effects” [my emphasis].  I have never seen, or made, any such remark.  If you read my letter again you’ll see that I refer to Prof Challis’ apparent concern about possible non-thermal effects.  The fact that you chose to modify my wording makes it clear to me that you’re not willing to squarely face the fact that I’m highlighting.

Similarly, in respect of my illustrative examples on aspects of response to evidence, you choose to address a totally different issue from the one I have raised.  I can easily believe that you can’t see the relevance of my example of sexual activity not producing a ‘consistent’ effect in terms of pregnancy – but I think that even all those schoolchildren who, on your advice, are being subjected to unproven and potentially harmful technology would see from that example the ludicrousness of the HPA’s apparent position that biological cause-and-effect has to be ‘consistent’ in order to be credible.

I’m frankly baffled by your assertion that “We need to look at all the evidence not just the biological.”  What other words did you have in mind?  Financial?  Political?  Dr Clark, we’re looking here at effects on living organisms – this is a biological issue, pure and simple.  Anyone who can’t see that surely has no place in a so-called ‘Health Protection Agency’.

You also say “Biological evidence may be indicative but it is not conclusive”.  Conclusive of what, exactly?  Are you saying that, because research evidence to date is ‘indicative’ of a possible health hazard but not ‘conclusive’, you will continue to encourage LEAs to unreservedly irradiate a whole generation of schoolchildren?

You further say “apart from heating, there is no accepted biological effect caused by wireless signals that can be replicated.”  In this casual throwaway you appear to summarily dismiss quality peer-reviewed replicated research showing reduction of melatonin production at sub-thermal levels of RF exposure, also the multiply-replicated findings of a number of partners across Europe, in the EU-funded REFLEX Project, of single- and double-strand DNA breaks also at sub-thermal levels of exposure.  Both of these findings, supported by a raft of anecdotal evidence of effects, are accepted by a wide body of scientific opinion across the world – if not by the HPA.  Whilst the REFLEX team are properly cautious about what they have and have not shown, they make no bones about the likely implications for human health – and it is a replicated biological effect, contrary to your assertion.

[In passing I’d observe that misdirected guesses at what I “seem to be assuming” are both unhelpful and unscientific.]

You say that “there is no ambiguity in what HPA advises now and what was said in the Stewart Report in 2000.”  At risk of repeating myself, I’d say that “scientific evidence … which suggests … biological effects … below these guidelines.” is not exactly consistent with no reason why schools and others should not use WiFi equipment.” [ my emphasis]

You also say that HPA advice “is consistent with advice from most other authorities world-wide.”  It appears that doesn’t include Germany, whose Environment Ministry has recommended that people should keep their exposure to radiation from Wi-Fi (and phones) as low as possible by choosing conventional wired connections.  It’s interesting to note that this advice comes direct from the German equivalent of your own organization.  Not exactly a technologically backward country, Germany, is it?

Finally, the BioInitiative Report, released last month, blows a major hole in the HPA’s reassurances on RF emissions.  This Report has been drawn up by fourteen world-class researchers and leading figures in this field, including no less than three former Presidents of the Bioelectromagnetics Society – the top research society in the world on this subject.  For the UK HPA to take issue with the findings of such an august group would be akin to a local parish council standing in judgment on a statement from the United Nations.

The report provides detailed scientific information on health impacts from exposure hundreds or even thousands of times below FCC (US) and ICNIRP guidelines. The authors reviewed more than 2000 scientific studies and reviews, and concluded that existing public safety limits are inadequate to protect public health.  To ignore such authoritative findings could be considered culpable negligence.  I note that the European Environment Agency has seen fit to issue a call for immediate action to reduce exposure from WiFi, mobile phones and masts, in stark contrast to the HPA’s apparent complacency.  I note also that a report commissioned by the Australian Democrats has identified a wide variety of conditions that may be caused by phone & mast emissions, and calls for a ban on mobile phone antennae near homes or schools.

I should be truly glad if you'd prove me wrong by following the lead set by Germany and the EEA.

Yours sincerely

Dr Grahame Blackwell

Footnote (not included in my letter to Dr Clark)

There have been no known studies on WiFi published, but the Times Educational Supplement recently (30 March 2007) published details of an unpublished Report by the UK educational technology agency, BECTA, on a study carried out by them seven years ago. According to the TES, the Report said that the radiation produced by any device involving wireless technology raised health and safety questions. The TES quotes the Report: "During the testing carried out by Becta, which involved using at least six sets of equipment simultaneously, some engineers complained of headaches at the end of the working day. But whether this is due to exposure to radio waves or some other factor is unclear." Apparently Mike Clark’s observation on this was "A problem with very common symptoms such as headaches is that they can be caused by many things." The fact that this symptom was reported by a number of engineers specifically in relation to their testing of WiFi (otherwise it wouldn’t be in the Report - these are professionals we’re talking about) appears to have slipped past this custodian of the nation’s health - including the health of its children.