Do mobile phones really cause cancer of any kind?

news....@googlemail.com

Dec 30, 2008, 12:29:32 AM12/30/08
*_Seizures induced with 100 Hz magnetic field_*.

-magda

> MST may replace ECT for treating major depression
> <http://www.laboratorytalk.com/news/mam/mam109.html>
> Laboratory Talk - UK
> Magnetic seizure therapy (MST) uses strong, high
> frequency *electromagnetic* fields instead of electricity to elicit
> therapeutic seizures in patients. *...*
> See all stories on this topic
> <http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ncl=http://www.laboratorytalk.com/news/mam/mam109.html>

*Quick recovery of orientation after magnetic seizure therapy for major
depressive disorder*

George Kirov, MRCPsych, PhD
Cardiff University, Henry Wellcome Building, Heath Park, Cardiff
Klaus P. Ebmeier, MD, FRCPsych
University of Oxford, Department of Psychiatry, Warneford Hospital,
Oxford, and Andrew Duncan Clinic, Royal Edinburgh Hospital, Edinburgh
Allan I. F. Scott, MB ChB, MBS, MRCPsych, MD
Andrew Duncan Clinic, Royal Edinburgh Hospital, Edinburgh
Maria Atkins, MB BS, MRCPsych and Najeeb Khalid, MCPS
Whitchurch Hospital, Cardiff and Vale NHS Trust, Cardiff
Lucy Carrick, MB ChB, MBA, MRCPsych and Andrew Stanfield, MB ChB, MRCPsych
Andrew Duncan Clinic, Royal Edinburgh Hospital, Edinburgh
Ronan E. O’Carroll, BSc (Hons), MPhil
University of Stirling Department of Psychology, Stirling
Mustafa M. Husain, MD
Neurostimulation Research Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry,
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Texas, USA
Sarah H. Lisanby, BS, MD
Division of Brain Stimulation and Therapeutic Modulation, Department of
Psychiatry, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New
York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, USA

Correspondence: Professor Klaus P. Ebmeier, University of Oxford,
Section of Old Age Psychiatry, Warneford Hospital, Oxford OX3 7JX, UK.
Email: klaus....@psych.ox.ac.uk <mailto:klaus....@psych.ox.ac.uk>

Background

Magnetic seizure therapy, in which seizures are elicited with a
high-frequency magnetic field, is under development as a new treatment
for major depressive disorder. Its use may be justified if it produces
the antidepressant effects of electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), coupled
with limited cognitive side-effects.

Aims

To evaluate the usefulness of a new 100 Hz magnetic seizure therapy device.

Method

We induced seizures with 100 Hz magnetic transcranial stimulation in 11
patients with major depressive disorder during one session of a regular
course of ECT. Recovery times after seizures induced by magnetic seizure
therapy and ECT were compared.

Results

Seizures could be elicited in 10 of the 11 patients. Stimulation over
the vertex produced tonic–clonic activity on 9 out of 11 occasions.
Stimulation over the prefrontal midpoint elicited seizures on 3 out of 7
occasions.

The mean duration of magnetically induced seizures was 31.3 s, ranging
from 10 to 86 s. All patients had an exceptionally quick recovery of
orientation: mean of 7 min 12 s (s.d.=2 min 7 s, range 4 min 20 s to 9
min 41 s). The recovery times were on average 15 min 35 s shorter with
magnetic seizure therapy than with ECT in the same patients
(paired-samples t-test: P<0.0001). Patients reported feeling less
confused after magnetic seizure therapy. Side-effects were confined to
myoclonic movements, associated with the use of etomidate.

Conclusions

The new 100 Hz magnetic stimulator elicits seizures in the majority of
patients when administered over the vertex. Magnetic seizure therapy was
associated with shorter recovery times and less confusion following
treatment. Subsequent work will be required to assess the safety and
effectiveness of magnetic seizure therapy in the treatment of depression.

*_Comment to the Independent_*

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/philip-hensher/philip-hensher-glastonburys-internet-fix-use-crystals-1214982.html

Can any of those claiming that WiFi is safe direct me to any specific
published study of WiFi [2.4 GHz] which actually shows that there are no
health effects?

The Bioinitiative Report [2007] which reviewed over 2000 studies
concluded that the present [thermally based] ICNIRP guidelines for
emissions from mobile phones, cordless phones, etc. do not protect health.

The European Parliament is taking the Bioinitiative Report very
seriously. I refer you to the 'European Parliament resolution of 4
September 2008 on the mid-term review of the European Environment and
Health Action Plan 2004-2010 (2007/2252(INI)'."
In this document the European Parliament acknowledges that permitted
mobile telecommunications exposure levels are too high, that
electrosensitivity can occur, that exposure levels need to be based on
biologically factors [not just heating effects]. The comments apply to
WiFi as well as mobile phones and base stations.

/Posted by Margaret/ | 29.12.08, 17:36 GMT

_Ghana's growing mobile phone industry – any health implications?_
By GBN - *Ghana Business News* <http://www.ghanabusinessnews.com/>
Business/Finance | *Sat, 27 Dec 2008*
Read More...
http://www.modernghana.com/news/196627/1/ghanas-growing-mobile-phone-industry-any-health-im.html

Do mobile phones really cause cancer of any kind?
Is their use in any way connected with the occurrence of diseases such
as leukemia and impotence?

Informant: Martin Weatherall

[ http://omega.twoday.net/search?q=seizure
http://omega.twoday.net/search?q=leukemia