Parents fight phone tower near schoolParents fight phone tower near school

news....@googlemail.com

Apr 15, 2010, 12:51:12 PM4/15/10

----- Original Message -----

From: Enrico Grani

To: Iris Atzmon

Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:19 PM

Subject: Update – April 14, 2010 -- IT’S OFFICIAL: TELSTRA HAS NO LEASE

http://www.notowersnearschools.com/

http://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunrise/factsheets/article/-/article/6754190/parents-fight-phone-tower-near-school/

-- Video from AUSTRALIA --

Parents fight phone tower near school

The children and parents of Rainworth Primary School at Bardon, Brisbane (400 pupils), have been protesting for the last six months over plans by Telstra to put up a mobile phone tower 170 metres from the school. They’ve organized themselves into a determined and vocal group, setting up a website notowersnearschools.comand they’re not afraid to take on the giant Telstra. Telstra claims there is no conclusive scientific evidence that the towers pose a health risk.

The group has established a legal fighting fund, which currently stands at $15,000. The parents would like not just to prevent their own tower being built but they are also demanding legislation, to protect residential and school zones from having to live next to a mobile phone tower.

"Until scientific studies prove 3G EMR is safe, mobile phone towers should be kept away from community-sensitive locations, such as schools," the website states. The group has already enjoyed some success, winning an interim order against Telstra, which told the company they couldn’t go ahead with constructing the tower on December 22 last year.

Last week, Telstra made another submission to the courts, saying they still want to go ahead as soon as possible. A final decision is expected in March. Telstra have recently claimed that the 'professional facilitators' have been brought in to escalate the protest. A similar battle took place in Summer Hill, NSW, over the last few months, however Telstra is forging ahead despite the opposition and will begin construction of a tower 70 metres from a child care centre this week.