Mobicents JAIN SLEE 1.2.x , 2.0.x and 2.1.x - Please Read

Eduardo Martins

Mar 9, 2010, 12:42:41 PM3/9/10
to mobicents-public
Hi all, as you all know Mobicents JAIN SLEE 2.0.0.GA was released in
Feb 25th and we feel it is *very* important to clarify the team's
plans regarding the old 1.2.x generation, and the follow up releases.

Starting with the current version- 2.0.0.GA, we used it to create an
svn branch at http://mobicents.googlecode.com/svn/branches/servers/jain-slee/2.x.y/*/2.0.x
where * is the module relative path - core, resources/sip11,
examples/google-talk-bot, etc. The sources in this branch will be used
in possible 2.0.x releases, which result of bug fixes or minor
component/stack updates, on top of 2.0.0.GA. Note that the first (if
any) release from this branch will be named 2.0.1.GA, and we will do
it once we feel it is needed by the community, most probably once we
have a critical fix/update or a set of medium/high priority issues
fixed.

The list of issues for a possible 2.0.1.GA release can be seen at
http://code.google.com/p/mobicents/issues/list?can=2&q=component%3DJainSLEE+version%3D2.0.1

Moving on to the official roadmap, the next minor release is 2.1.0.GA,
the issues regarding the new features and enhancements for this
release can be seen at
http://code.google.com/p/mobicents/issues/list?can=2&q=component%3DJainSLEE+version%3D2.1.0
. As seen in the roadmap at http://www.mobicents.org/slee/roadmap.html
, the 2.1.0.GA release is planned for May 15th and again we have an
big feature list. We sincerely hope that the features/enhancements
matches the community needs, if it doesn't please lets us know, we can
still include modifications at this time, the user community opinion
is truly important for us. By the way, and as usual, count also on
performance and clustering improvements. Final notes about this, the
sources for 2.1.0.GA will be in the SVN trunk -
http://mobicents.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/servers/jain-slee, which may
at some point be in unstable state, due to code changes in the AS
core.

Ok, finally 1.2.x, we understand that the majority of the user base is
still around this generation, and even if our community project uses
the "release early, release often" model, we don't want to force the
upgrade through a kill of the old branch. The code sources will stay
in the usual SVN "place" at the 1.x.y branch, we will still accept and
work on fixing issues, and we will reply/help on user questions. The
only changes are an expectable lower priority in our personal work
plans, and the fact we won't do another binary release, which takes
considerable resources to test and execute. This means there won't be
an official 1.2.8.GA release, but anyone is free to build their own
binaries (all needed is "ant" in release dir!) or build from code
directly.

Any feedback or questions are welcome, thanks.

-- Eduardo

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
http://emmartins.blogspot.com
http://www.redhat.com/solutions/telco

Pavel Slegr

Mar 10, 2010, 6:30:09 AM3/10/10
to mobicent...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Eduardo,

Informations in here are very valuable!
I would like to point out here, that even we will not be producing Jain
Slee 1.2.8 , we are
happy to support Jain Slee 1.2.x as the part of our Jboss Communications
Platform 1.2.x via the regular patches (CP's).