G729 GPL or LGPL?

Romain

Mar 30, 2009, 7:37:34 AM3/30/09
to mobicents-public
Hi everybody,

In order to apply to Google Summer Of Code 2009, I am studing G729
implementation for SIP Communicator
http://www.sip-communicator.org/index.php/Development/G729

I saw that you implemented it in Java (\servers\media\core\server-impl
\src\main\java\org\mobicents\media\server\impl\codec\g729). But I
don't know if you protected it under copy-left or not.

Given that, SIP Communicator is under LGPL license, it would be very
usefull to use your implementation of G729.

Cheers

Romain

Vladimir Ralev

Mar 30, 2009, 7:52:03 AM3/30/09
to mobicent...@googlegroups.com
There are special terms for using G729. I don't think it can go under GPL or LGPL. Read more about the restrictions from the G729 inventors' site.

Amit Bhayani

Mar 30, 2009, 7:53:58 AM3/30/09
to mobicent...@googlegroups.com
Hi Romain,

G729 is patented codec and hence any and every body has to follow the license term http://www.sipro.com/g729_licterms.php

We just have implemented the Codec however we don't take any bottom line responsibility on its usage as disclaimed here http://www.mobicents.org/products_media_server.html

romain philibert

Mar 30, 2009, 12:18:36 PM3/30/09
to mobicent...@googlegroups.com
Thank you

I contacted Sipro a few days ago, they gave me the price if we insert G729 in SIP Communicator. I admit that we couldn't afford such services. (http://www.sipro.com/g729_licterms.php)

So we will give the possibility of using G729 with SIP-Communicator, but we will not integrate it automatically. (We will write some disclaimers and warnings, as you did, and explain a way how to set SP to use G729) .

Knowing that your are not responsible of G729 usages, could we use your code in SIP-Communicator? (This code is free (Not charging you to use it)).

Cheers

Romain

romain philibert

May 5, 2009, 2:34:04 AM5/5/09
to mobicent...@googlegroups.com
What license do you use for your G729 implementation?
(Hard question I think ;) )

Cheers

Romain

Ivelin Ivanov

May 5, 2009, 10:31:18 AM5/5/09
to mobicent...@googlegroups.com

Overall Mobicents is distributed under dual license - GPL or commercial.
Some specific components such as the G729 codec are distributed under LGPL.

Ivelin

romain philibert

May 5, 2009, 11:09:05 AM5/5/09