Mobicents Media Server (MMS) v2.0.0.BETA1 Released!

Amit Bhayani

Jun 15, 2009, 3:51:32 AM6/15/09
to mobicent...@googlegroups.com
We are happy to announce first release of Mobicents Media Server (MMS) v2.0.0.BETA1

Starting from 2.x.y, the MMS binary will be available as Standalone Media Server as well as embedded in JBoss AS. The standalone is preferred over embedded in production and embedded is good for development where SipServlets Server or JAIN SLEE server is started in same JBoss AS. The binary is also shipped with test which is a GUI based tool used to measure the performance of MMS 2.x.y

From 2.x.y, there is complete change in Architecture of Mobicents Media Server. From JMX Kernel base (1.x.y version of MMS) we have moved to new and light JBoss Micro Container (MS) base. The bootup time of MMS Standalone is just 3 secs! The focus was on reducing the number of threads used by MMS as we realized Threads were the main issue for causing jitter. Initial performance test showed that MMS Standalone is capable of 300 concurrent announcements with almost zero jitter on 4GB, dual-core, Dell D630 laptop.

A common theme for Mobicents Media Server 2.x.y is the breaking out of internal fixed subsystems into standalone components implemented as POJOs and the introduction of SPIs throughout the server codebase.  Those changes should not affect directly the end user but they are an important part of the Mobicents Media Server strategy for making available the various voice/video services as independent components, so that they can be wired ­together on demand.

The documentation shipped with binary will give further details.

The MMS 2.x.y can be either controlled using MGCP or JSR-309 implementation of Mobicents which finally uses MGCP to talk to Mobicents Media Server.

To understand how to use JSR-309 Impl with SIp Servlet look at Media JSR 309 Demo example available with latest Mobicents Sip Servlets Server release

Mobicents Media Server Home Page:
http://www.mobicents.org/products_media_server.html

MMS Guide page:
As of now we don't have online version of MMS 2.x.y guide but included in binary. We will soon make it online.

Where to download from?
-----------------------
The distribution can be found on SourceForge.net. The binary package for standalone is mms-standalone-2.0.0.BETA1.zip and for embedded in JBoss AS is mms-jboss-5.1.0.GA-2.0.0.BETA1.zip
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=102670&package_id=263989

Source repositories:
-------------------
SVN
http://mobicents.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/servers/media/core

SVN TAG

Core
http://mobicents.googlecode.com/svn/tags/servers/media/2.x.y/core/

Looking forward to your feedback:
---------------------------------
http://groups.google.com/group/mobicents-public

Mobicents Media Server Team

Sachin Parnami

Jun 15, 2009, 5:05:52 AM6/15/09
to mobicent...@googlegroups.com
Congrats :)
--
Regards,
Sachin Parnami

Raziya Bhayani

Jun 15, 2009, 5:07:24 AM6/15/09
to mobicent...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations

Sounds very promising, cant wait to get hands all dirty with it ;)

Thanks and regards,
Raziya

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Amit Bhayani <amit.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
360.gif

aayush bhatnagar

Jun 15, 2009, 5:17:03 AM6/15/09
to mobicent...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

congrats.

Any specific reason for moving the MMS binary away from JBOSS ? The perf test results are for the embedded version or standalone MMS ?

I had one more confusion. Is the standalone version still using JBOSS Microkernel / minimal config or is it totally detached?

--
aayush
"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult"

Amit Bhayani

Jun 15, 2009, 5:29:06 AM6/15/09
to mobicent...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Guys!

Aayush my answers in-line

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 2:47 PM, aayush bhatnagar <abhatnag...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

congrats.

Any specific reason for moving the MMS binary away from JBOSS ? The perf test results are for the embedded version or standalone MMS ?
 Yes. The embedded media server was having jitter and cause was Threads. Not only threads used within media server but threads from JBoss AS on which MMS has no control. So it was perfect to move away from any container and have MMS as standalone where every resource used in MMS can be monitored and controlled.

The perf test is for standalone.

I had one more confusion. Is the standalone version still using JBOSS Microkernel / minimal config or is it totally detached?
Its using JBoss Microkernel, but no JBoss AS (not even minimal).  Its written from scratch on microkernel.
360.gif

Rainer Steinegger

Jun 15, 2009, 5:24:07 AM6/15/09
to mobicent...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

does this mean that the new realese now supports any video codecs?

Regards
Rainer

aayush bhatnagar schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> congrats.
>
> Any specific reason for moving the MMS binary away from JBOSS ? The perf
> test results are for the embedded version or standalone MMS ?
>
> I had one more confusion. Is the standalone version still using JBOSS
> Microkernel / minimal config or is it totally detached?
>

> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Raziya Bhayani <raziya...@gmail.com
> <mailto:raziya...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Congratulations
>
> Sounds very promising, cant wait to get hands all dirty with it ;)
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Raziya
>

> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Amit Bhayani
> <amit.b...@gmail.com <mailto:amit.b...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> We are happy to announce first release of *Mobicents Media
> Server (MMS) v2.0.0.BETA1*
> <http://www.mobicents.org/mms-mgcp-main.html> or JSR-309
> implementation of Mobicents
> <http://www.mobicents.org/mms-jsr309-main.html> which finally
> uses MGCP to talk to Mobicents Media Server.
>
> To understand how to use JSR-309 Impl with SIp Servlet look at
> Media JSR 309 Demo
> <http://www.mobicents.org/mss-jb5-examples.html> example
> available with latest Mobicents Sip Servlets Server release
>

> *Mobicents Media Server Home Page:*
> http://www.mobicents.org/products_media_server.html
>
> *MMS Guide page:*
> As of now we don't have online version of MMS 2.x.y guide but
> included in binary. We will soon make it online.
>

> *Where to download from?*
> -----------------------
> The distribution can be found on SourceForge.net. The binary
> package for standalone is mms-standalone-2.0.0.BETA1.zip and for
> embedded in JBoss AS is mms-jboss-5.1.0.GA-2.0.0.BETA1.zip
> https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=102670&package_id=263989
> <https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=102670&package_id=263989>
>
> *Source repositories:*
> -------------------
> SVN
> http://mobicents.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/servers/media/core
> <https://mobicents.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/servers/media/core>
> <https://mobicents.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/servers/media/core>
>

> *Looking forward to your feedback:*
> ---------------------------------
> http://groups.google.com/group/mobicents-public
>
> *Mobicents Media Server Team*

Oleg Kulikov

Jun 15, 2009, 5:34:11 AM6/15/09
to mobicent...@googlegroups.com
I want to add that using  of JBoss microcornel architecture allows to build server's endpoints declaretively. This is allow to get a ballance between high performance and inetelligence of the media processing. See doc how to construct endpoints and media channels by editing -beans.xml

Oleg

2009/6/15 Amit Bhayani <amit.b...@gmail.com>
360.gif

Amit Bhayani

Jun 15, 2009, 5:34:59 AM6/15/09
to mobicent...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rainer,

The framework is built such that video can now be supported. Its not there in 2.0.0.BETA1 but we have it in our roadmap and partial work done. 2nd most top priority is video.

1st is SS7.

We will make the RoadMap visible on mobicents.org soon.

aayush bhatnagar

Jun 15, 2009, 5:34:59 AM6/15/09
to mobicent...@googlegroups.com
Thanks...
Congrats once again.
360.gif

Raziya Bhayani

Jun 15, 2009, 5:36:14 AM6/15/09
to mobicent...@googlegroups.com
Not yet :( awaiting it...

aayush bhatnagar

Jun 15, 2009, 5:46:07 AM6/15/09
to mobicent...@googlegroups.com
SS7 ???

Going one step back in telco protocols...any specific requirement that MMS has for SS7 ? (the context in which it can be used).

Or are you trying to incorporate MGC+MGW functionality in the server as well ?

Oleg Kulikov

Jun 15, 2009, 5:50:37 AM6/15/09
to mobicent...@googlegroups.com
SS7 integration is explained in details at this page

For those peoples who what to contribute and get video immediately can look into the to the doc how to wire components and complete already started video player :)

Oleg

Ivelin Ivanov

Jun 15, 2009, 11:19:34 AM6/15/09
to mobicent...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations for the completion of a major effort!

Ivelin

zela...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2009, 6:53:09 AM8/12/09
to mobicents-public
Hi I want to know what you have done (the partial work you mentioned
in your e-mail) with regard to video capability and what is remaining.
I can devote myself towards that. I have some experience with
GSTREAMER and JMF.

Thank you.

On Jun 15, 11:34 am, Amit Bhayani <amit.bhay...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Rainer,
>
> The framework is built such that video can now be supported. Its not there
> in 2.0.0.BETA1 but we have it in our roadmap and partial work done. 2nd most
> top priority is video.
>
> 1st is SS7.
>
> We will make the RoadMap visible on mobicents.org soon.
>
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Rainer Steinegger <steineg...@synyx.de>wrote:
>

> > Hi.
>
> > does this mean that the new realese now supports any video codecs?
>
> > Regards
> > Rainer
>
> > aayush bhatnagar schrieb:
> > > Hello,
>
> > > congrats.
>
> > > Any specific reason for moving the MMS binary away from JBOSS ? The perf
> > > test results are for the embedded version or standalone MMS ?
>
> > > I had one more confusion. Is the standalone version still using JBOSS
> > > Microkernel / minimal config or is it totally detached?
>
> > > On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Raziya Bhayani <raziyabhay...@gmail.com
> > > <mailto:raziyabhay...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> > >     Congratulations
>
> > >     Sounds very promising, cant wait to get hands all dirty with it ;)
>
> > >     Thanks and regards,
> > >     Raziya
>
> > >     On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Amit Bhayani
> >https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=102670&package...
> > >         <
> >https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=102670&package...

Oleg Kulikov