Some Japanese Kanji displaying as blocks

Bluebris

Aug 23, 2009, 1:55:23 AM8/23/09
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I have a problem with some Kanji displaying as blocks.
I searched the internet and found a recommended font, Cyberbit.ttf,
but i have no idea
how to add the font to Mnemosyne to see if it works.

Can anyone help? I searched the board but couldn't find this issue
before.

Charles Cave

Aug 23, 2009, 3:42:37 AM8/23/09
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
If you are going to use a new font, then all you have to do is
install the font then choose the Mnemosyne > Configure
option then click the Q/A font and choose your new font.

Are you using Windows? I use MS Gothic 24 point font
and it displays Kanji very well.

Charles

Bluebris

Aug 23, 2009, 4:55:12 AM8/23/09
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I'm using Linux Ubuntu 9.04.
thanks for your help, but what i don't know is how to install the new
font. Sorry, i should have made that clear in my initial post.

Brian

Peter Bienstman

Aug 23, 2009, 3:08:51 PM8/23/09
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
I have ubuntu, but I don't anything about Japanese myself.

Still, if you do

sudo apt-cache search japanese | grep font

you get a list of several fonts that would fit the bill. Don't know which one
is best though.

You can install it with

sudo apt-get install <package-name>

Cheers,

Peter
Peter Bienstman
Ghent University, Dept. of Information Technology
Sint-Pietersnieuwstraat 41, B-9000 Gent, Belgium
tel: +32 9 264 34 46, fax: +32 9 264 35 93
WWW: http://photonics.intec.UGent.be
email: Peter.B...@UGent.be

Bluebris

Aug 23, 2009, 8:50:35 PM8/23/09
to mnemosyne-proj-users
My fonts all work fine in Japanese for other applications, they just
don't for mnemosyne, for some kanji, so i want to know
how to install a font to the application itself. I've seen through a
google search other users with the same
issue in this app, and the recommendation was to install this
cyberbit.ttf font, which i downloaded and now
have sitting on my desktop. I want to install it so i can use it in
Mnemosyne. Any ideas how to do this?
> email: Peter.Bienst...@UGent.be

Bluebris

Aug 23, 2009, 9:36:52 PM8/23/09
to mnemosyne-proj-users
It's ok, i've sorted it. I downloaded the font, then did the
following:

sudo cp *.ttf /usr/local/share/fonts
cd /usr/local/share/fonts
sudo chown root:root *.ttf
sudo fc-cache

The font then showed in Mnemosyne.

Thanks for your help guys,

Brian

Randi H.

Aug 24, 2009, 1:22:50 AM8/24/09
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Search for installing fonts in Ubuntu... I don't remember exactly how it is done :) but you will just have to install it as any other to Ubuntu and then go to settings of Mnemosyne and choose the new font.