Imac 27 inch

MullerBiker

Jun 2, 2013, 6:27:30 AM6/2/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
I'm itching to pull the trigger on a 27inch imac. I mainly use it for playing games and surfing the web and itunes.

I will get the 3 terra byte fusion drive. But my question is it worth getting the getting core i5 or i7. And should I get the fastest processor or would my use case be a waste of money.

Next is it worth getting 32 gig of memory or would 16 gig be enough.

I do like photography and as I retire from my main job at the end of the summer  might have more time to to devote to to my hobby which I combine with my other hobby motorcycling.

comments welcome

Rick Squires

Jun 2, 2013, 6:41:29 AM6/2/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Max out the graphics if you are a gamer. Don't pay Apple prices for the RAM. Buy it with the minimum and then top up from Crucial. My 27 has 16GB. I run Aperture, CS5 and FCPX with no problems. Usually zero paging.

I went for the fastest CPU as I keep my Macs for a long time so wanted an element of future proofing.

You'll love it. That screen is awesome!

Rick

Sent from my iPhone
MMUG is an  Apple User Group.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the "MMUG Chat" group. To post to the group, send email to mmug...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe, send email to mmug-chat-...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/mmug-chat. Please note that what you post to the list is publicly readable by anyone and regularly indexed by search engines.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MMUG Chat" group.

Craig Rogers

Jun 2, 2013, 6:54:30 AM6/2/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Rick,

except that I don't think you will be able to upgrade the ram in the new design without pretty much completely dismantling it, so you will probably have to get it with the amount of ram you would like.

Craig

Rick Squires

Jun 2, 2013, 6:56:00 AM6/2/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
I think you can still upgrade on the 27 but the smaller one has the RAM soldered to the motherboard

Sent from my iPhone

Craig Rogers

Jun 2, 2013, 6:56:47 AM6/2/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
defo worth a check online to make sure, i know the 24" is a no go

Craig Rogers

Jun 2, 2013, 7:04:29 AM6/2/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Yes the 27 is upgradeable see here

so max the graphics and cpu and buy all the ram you want from a third party, i usually use crucial.

Craig

MullerBiker

Jun 2, 2013, 7:07:10 AM6/2/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
You can still upgrade the RAM on 27 inch there is a panel to access the RAM mounts. Not sure when I pay nearly 2.5 grand want to mess with the insides.

Looking at the apple site you get the impression there is a refresh due. 15 inch laptops not avaliable to buy.

You right about the graphic card I was going for the best..

I keep going into the Bull Ring looking at the 27 inch screen..... its so good.... got two weeks off next week I wil buy one I need to tidy up the front room to slot it in :)

Rick Squires

Jun 2, 2013, 7:12:09 AM6/2/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Upgrading the RAM is a doddle. It must be foolproof as I've done it a number of times. Undo 2 screws, flip a couple of levers to pop the old RAM and push the new ones in.

I'd suggest pricing it up and see if you want to spend the difference or do it yourself. Or if you live near to someone on here I'm sure they'd pop round and do it

Sent from my iPhone

Peter Boynton

Jun 2, 2013, 7:16:42 AM6/2/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
I have the latest 27" iMac and upgrading the RAM is even easier than before. No screws to undo - just a button to press inside the power lead connection and the door pops open (typical lovely Apple design) and hey presto.

I put an extra 16GB in from crucial at a cost of approx £105 and i don't think I've yet used more then 8GB at a time yet!

Like everyone else the scree is great especially when I place it next to my 4 year old 24"

Have fun

Pete

MullerBiker

Jun 2, 2013, 7:24:28 AM6/2/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
I'm in Brum near city centre.... I think I try upgrading RAM myself..... looks easy when I followed the link that was posted....

I do love apple computers I had the 17 inch core duo which I sold to a member on here and is still going strong. I was impressed when apple replaced its main board due to the graphic card issue and even replaced the battery when it was almost 3 years old as it had expanded for free.

I got a 13 inch mac pro.... the imac will my first desk top one and even though they are expensive they do seem to last longer. My windows machines seem to run out of steam after 2 years.

I might treat the wife to an air when I get my lump sum. She only does basics so the air will be perfect for her.

Andy Harrington

Jun 2, 2013, 9:46:34 AM6/2/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
i upped the ram on my mb pro but not sure what apple make of it if you have a warranty issue- i guess they could argue that you've damaged it.

Can't increase the memory in the air i have now, so that solves that problem! but i do like the air, i7, 512 ssd, 8 gb ram, it'll do me

i also like the iMac, but got no office to put it in - i keep trying to convince my dad to change from windoze…. :)

Andy

Drew Reece

Jun 2, 2013, 10:07:56 AM6/2/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Apple consider the RAM to be a user replaceable part, so as long as you don't force anything it should be fine.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5540
They may ask you to refit the original RAM if you are having issues that could be related to it failing, or being out of spec etc.

Boot into Apple hardware test (hold D on boot, or opt+D to boot via the internet) & run the extended test if you want to be sure it is OK after install. Enjoy the glory of the old platinum interface in AHT.

Re:co

Rick Squires

Jun 2, 2013, 10:17:15 AM6/2/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Oh I'm going to try that, just for old times sake....

:)

BigEasy

Jun 3, 2013, 11:28:49 AM6/3/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
I suppose I'm going against the grain here, but have you considered a *shudder* Windows PC? You could build an awesome gaming rig just for playing games on and the money you have saved could buy a decent second hand MacBook Pro or a new MacBok Air!

Dilip Rathod - Native Systems Ltd

Jun 3, 2013, 11:57:50 AM6/3/13
to MMUG
or for similar (new iMac 27") money you could buy an apple refurbished mac pro & eizo monitor.

**************************************
Dilip Rathod - Apple Certified Support Professional
Native Systems Ltd - Apple Consultants Network
Phone Solihull 0121 743 0875 http://www.nativesystems.co.uk
**************************************

daniel barnes

Jun 3, 2013, 3:22:16 PM6/3/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
The eizo monitors are fantastic, but the mac pro in the refurb section are a bit long in tooth, they may be xeon cpu's, but even the mid-range i5's are more powerful. For the £1489 that the pro costs you could get the far more powerful I7 computer, 32 gb ram, GTX 780, a good sized ssd for booting and 2x 2tb drives. Far more bang for your buck and a much better system for gaming.

Don't get me wrong, I can't stand Windows, but as a gaming platform it is the better / more cost effective option.

Jun 8, 2013, 1:56:59 PM6/8/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Bought the iMac. Been shipped be here Wednesday

Craig Rogers

Jun 8, 2013, 1:59:04 PM6/8/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Woohoo, what was the final spec?

On 8 Jun 2013, at 18:56, MullerBiker <stephe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bought the iMac. Been shipped be here Wednesday

MullerBiker

Jun 16, 2013, 11:23:04 AM6/16/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
I bought 27 inch iMac 16 gig ram 3tb fusion drive and bought the better graphics cars and best processor.

Been delivered and Im typing this on it :)

Craig Rogers

Jun 16, 2013, 12:33:24 PM6/16/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Nice! How is it?

MullerBiker

Jun 16, 2013, 4:14:34 PM6/16/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Very good, massive screen, very fast boots Civ 5 in seconds.

I can open several windows on same screen. Very pleased.

Paul Cruxton

Jun 29, 2013, 3:54:25 AM6/29/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Great machine :) I think upgrading the CPU will pay off in the long run.

Next question Lightroom or aperture for editing your pictures :)

Cheers Paul.

On 16 Jun 2013, at 21:14, MullerBiker <stephe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Very good, massive screen, very fast boots Civ 5 in seconds.
>
> I can open several windows on same screen. Very pleased.

Rick Squires

Jun 29, 2013, 4:58:22 AM6/29/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com

Sent from my iPhone

Craig Rogers

Jun 29, 2013, 6:26:03 AM6/29/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
No contest aperture

Rick Squires

Jun 29, 2013, 9:35:04 AM6/29/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Second that

Sent from my iPhone

Ian Collier

Jun 29, 2013, 9:39:00 AM6/29/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com, mmug...@googlegroups.com
I'd go for Lightroom, but may be just because when I started using it it was way, way better than Aperture.

___________________
Ian Collier
ian.c...@mac.com
+44 7866 510075
___________________

Rick Squires

Jun 29, 2013, 9:53:55 AM6/29/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
To be honest LR5 probably has a slightly better set of tweaking tools in the Develop module. Still tho l Aperture wins hands down for managing and organising. I love the slideshow features too.

I've pondered swapping as its not been updated for ages but one thing I don't like about Adobe is that they stop updating Camera RAW when they move to a new version. So if you buy a new camera and get caught by a new release you have to upgrade to process your files. Apple bundle RAW updates with OSX updates and that seems to go across releases of the OS

Plus this whole CC business is bad news for the amateur I think. In certainly not going to go past CS5
Sent from my iPhone

On 29 Jun 2013, at 14:39, Ian Collier <ian.c...@mac.com> wrote:

> I'd go for Lightroom, but may be just because when I started using it it was way, way better than Aperture.
>
> ___________________
> Ian Collier
> ian.c...@mac.com
> +44 7866 510075
> ___________________
>
> On 29 Jun 2013, at 14:35, Rick Squires <rick.s...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> Second that
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On 29 Jun 2013, at 11:26, Craig Rogers <crog...@mac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> No contest aperture

Paul Cruxton

Jun 29, 2013, 12:42:40 PM6/29/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com, mmug...@googlegroups.com
I think they are both good apps.

I used aperture when I first got my DSLR and late last year I moved over to lightroom to see if the grass was greener.

At first I hated light room because I'd learnt all the shortcuts in aperture and so it seemed far more natural to me. But as I got used to light room it wasn't such an issue.

Having used it for over 6 months now I like what I can do with it but I miss the integration aperture has with my iOS/MacOS devices and the fact you can run the aperture library from a network attached drive is good when you use more than I computer. But on the LR side I love the file management, being able to move images from my local hard drive to my NAS within lightroom is amazing and the develop module is very comprehensive with lens correction and the new healing brush (a little buggy at the mo) its a cool app.

I'm summary I think which ever app you use you can't go wrong they are both cool apps :)
Aperture has the edge on price to which helps too.

Paul

MullerBiker

Jun 29, 2013, 4:25:39 PM6/29/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
I used apature before last version was 2. I will try the new version, I will upgrade to 32 gig ram in next few months. Bought the imac through Nectar stores and just had my points added to my account worth about 30 quid.

Paul Cruxton

Jun 29, 2013, 6:25:53 PM6/29/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com, mmug...@googlegroups.com
Check out www.crucial.com/uk for ram they are pretty good.

Saying that it say 16GB would be enough for most people. I upgraded from 8 to 16GB and didn't ready notice any differences apart from when running several virtual machines at once.

MullerBiker

Jun 30, 2013, 3:35:59 PM6/30/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
RAW images can chew through ram, I thinking of getting a new camera to match the iMac . I need something to do in retirement. 26 working days to o 😛

Rick Squires

Jun 30, 2013, 3:40:49 PM6/30/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Love my Nikon d7000

image.jpeg

Craig Rogers

Jun 30, 2013, 4:03:21 PM6/30/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
I have a Nikon d7000 looking for a new home if you are interested.

On 30 Jun 2013, at 20:35, MullerBiker <stephe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> RAW images can chew through ram, I thinking of getting a new camera to match the iMac . I need something to do in retirement. 26 working days to o 😛

Rick Squires

Jun 30, 2013, 6:00:48 PM6/30/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
D7100?
😄

Sent from my iPad

Craig Rogers

Jul 1, 2013, 1:19:13 AM7/1/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Indeed!

Rick Squires

Jul 1, 2013, 1:50:13 AM7/1/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
24 megapixels of fun!

Sent from my iPhone

Craig Rogers

Jul 1, 2013, 3:28:48 AM7/1/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
And an in view finder virtual horizon !

Rick Squires

Jul 1, 2013, 2:44:24 PM7/1/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
You can get the horizon in the D7000 viewfinder, but you have to have X-Ray eyes to use it!

MullerBiker

Jul 2, 2013, 7:31:04 AM7/2/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Might be when I get my pension lump sum, although I have a lot of canon lens so might be more inclined to stay canon to keep costs down.

Rick Squires

Jul 2, 2013, 11:46:33 AM7/2/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
New 70D announced today

Craig Rogers

Jul 2, 2013, 12:11:42 PM7/2/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
It would make sense to stay with canon I think