Re: [MMUG] OS 10.5.5 on PPC -

1 view

Drew Reece

Oct 4, 2012, 2:37:32 PM10/4/12
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Too little info, what machine is 'this'?
Have you done software update recently (10.5.5 is not the last version of 10.5).

Have you unplugged all the non-Apple stuff & tried running for a while, just use the bare minimum. Are you referring to Apple Hardware Test? It has an extended mode that will loop repeatedly. I think the Apple techs run this for a day to provoke the fault into appearing.

Boot from the install CD/DVD and click through a couple of screens until the menu appears.
Select Disk Utility & run Repair Permissions & try Disk First Aid too.

There may be info in the logs, /Applications/Utilities/Console will let you see them easily (in an admin account). You could skim them around the time of a shutdown to see if anything is panicking. The 'Console', 'All messages' or system.log may contain info leading up to a shutdown.

Re:co

On 30 Sep 2012, at 16:26, Bob Braban wrote:

> This machine has started to shut down on me without warning. Hardware checks are fine and PR zapping does not prevent the problem for very long. Any help available
>
> --
> MMUG is an  Apple User Group.
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the "MMUG Chat" group. To post to the group, send email to mmug...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe, send email to mmug-chat-...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/mmug-chat. Please note that what you post to the list is publicly readable by anyone and regularly indexed by search engines.

off...@golflincs.co.uk

Oct 5, 2012, 7:16:44 AM10/5/12
to mmug...@googlegroups.com, off...@golflincs.co.uk
Good morning Drew,

I'm very grateful for your reply.

The machine is a G5 running 10.5.8 and I use it exclusively to run
www.travelwatchdog.com so it is not on all the time.

The problem gets more and more strange. Yesterday evening it started
but shut down as soon as the start up programmes started to load
(Entourage was the first). Thereafter any attempt to start it was
followed by shut down during the boot process. I don't have the
original programme disks as I bought it with OS pre-installed, but it
would not boot using TechTool Pro 5 emergency disk.

This morning I switched it on and it ran for 40 minutes whilst I
solved some problems for travelwatchdog correspondents. I've now shut
it down, but later today I'll try looking into the logs angle.

I did the hardware checks with Techtool Pro and they checked out OK.
The problem with Techtool is that booting from it does not allow
access to the HD. However, it seems from the checks that it is
unlikely that the problem is associated with RAM malfunction, bad
blocks etc. Last night I began to suspect the PSU, but the fact that
it has run for 45 minutes this morning would seem to rule that out. I
recall some years ago a similar problem with one of my early Macs
that arose simply from selecting the wrong 'Appearance'
configuration. I was hoping it might be a similar problem that was
known to fellow users.

Many thanks for your help. It is most appreciated.

Best regards,

Bob
>> Chat" group. To post to the group, send email to mmug-
>> ch...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe, send email to mmug-chat-
>> at http://groups.google.com/group/mmug-chat. Please note that what
>> you post to the list is publicly readable by anyone and regularly
>> indexed by search engines.
>
> --
> MMUG is an  Apple User Group.

Drew Reece

Oct 5, 2012, 10:19:16 AM10/5/12
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Apple made G5's in tower format (big silver cheese grater) & in iMac format, which one is it?
I'm afraid G5's are getting really old now & I suspect it may be on it's last legs.

The PSU could be the issue, if there is a loose connection that causes the shutdown after it warms up & everything expands. I really couldn't say with any certainty.
Techtool Pro 5 seems like it should be able to access the disk so either you are looking in the wrong place, or it has something more severe wrong with it. I haven't used Techtool for many years, so find online manuals & have a read.

I can't think of any reason why a simple setting in the Appearance settings would cause rebooting. It sounds more complex to me.
The Apple discussions may be helpful, but I suspect many of the old G5 topics may have been archived, search and see what comes up.

If it is a Tower type of G5, open the side panel & see if it needs the dust removing. You can suck some away with a hoover, but be really careful the hoover will build up static & could damage the machine if you touch the tube to the circuits.

Drew

On 5 Oct 2012, at 12:16, off...@golflincs.co.uk wrote:

> [...]
>
> --
> MMUG is an  Apple User Group.
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the "MMUG Chat" group. To post to the group, send email to mmug...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe, send email to mmug-chat-...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/mmug-chat. Please note that what you post to the list is publicly readable by anyone and regularly indexed by search engines.

off...@golflincs.co.uk

Oct 5, 2012, 10:32:18 AM10/5/12
to mmug...@googlegroups.com, off...@golflincs.co.uk
Hi Drew,

it's the cheese grater and the inside is really clean so I'm pretty
sure that's not the problem. I may just get another cheap G5 and swap
some of the bits around. I have an Intel iMac and another G5 as well,
but I have so much non-intel expensive software for my charitable
site, that I don't want to be involved in very expensive upgrades if
I can avoid it. The day will come but I can probably hand on for a
while.

Many many thanks for your interest and help.

Best regards,

Bob

>>> --
>>> MMUG is an  Apple User Group.
>>> what you post to the list is publicly readable by anyone and
>>> regularly indexed by search engines.
>>
>> --
>> MMUG is an  Apple User Group.
>> you post to the list is publicly readable by anyone and regularly
>> indexed by search engines.
>
> --
> MMUG is an  Apple User Group.

off...@golflincs.co.uk

Jun 5, 2013, 3:25:33 PM6/5/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com, off...@golflincs.co.uk

Hi All,

Having a problem with iPad 2 and Mail. Cannot delete messages. The
delete panel shows OK, but any attempt to delete is met with a
dialogue box that says something like: Cannot transfer this message to
Mail trash", On occasions they do delete, but the next occasion the
App is opened, they all appear once more. I can't see anything is mail
settings that can affect the issue,

Any kind soul got anything to offer.

Bob Braban
Travelwatchdog.com