MacPro RIP

Hannah Mackinlay

Jun 10, 2013, 2:09:08 PM6/10/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Just seen the keynote of the BigMac Mini aka 'replacement' for Mac Pro

I'm cracking open the gin. CS6 isn't going run Nvidia cards on that. What planet are they on

Anyone got an HP z800 they want to sell?

:-(

Sent from my iPad

Chris Roberts

Jun 11, 2013, 2:41:51 AM6/11/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hannah

You're hitting the wall with both your software and hardware….

http://www.philiphodgetts.com/2013/06/stop-the-cuda-panic-adobe-cc-resolve-et-al-work-fine-on-the-new-macpro/

I know, upgrading has a cost… What do I hear? We want "professional" hardware and software at prosumer prices??? Sheesh!

;-)

Chris

Rick Squires

Jun 11, 2013, 4:00:44 AM6/11/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
7 teraflops can't be all bad. 😄

Sent from my iPhone
> --
> --
> MMUG is an  Apple User Group.
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the "MMUG Chat" group. To post to the group, send email to mmug...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe, send email to mmug-chat-...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/mmug-chat. Please note that what you post to the list is publicly readable by anyone and regularly indexed by search engines.
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MMUG Chat" group.

Craig Rogers

Jun 11, 2013, 10:47:06 AM6/11/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
From what I have seen the new Mac Pro seems pretty good, the only real change is no upgradable graphics card, not a massive loss really, hd upgrades via thunderbolt and the ram us upgradable. What more do u want ?

Hannah Mackinlay

Jun 11, 2013, 3:32:06 PM6/11/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Wow! interesting indeed but from the article it seems lots of other people had the same immediate thought on the loss of their CUDA kudos! So I don't feel to much a naysayer!

My MacPro wasn't prosumer prices when I add up all the RAM, drives & CUDA but it has been the best mac I have ever had (so far....). I'm very happy to pay pro workstation prices if it delivers. It does mean a different type of set up with all that TB kit to buy but hey ho, that's progress.

I assume they are going stuff it full of RAM or perhaps that's external too if you want more! Dunno, could be very interesting, as long as it earns me money I may take a punt on one when they come out. Compared to pro video cameras it will be cheap, that's for sure!

Cheers Chris and thanks. Hannah

Robert Sharl

Jun 11, 2013, 5:56:59 PM6/11/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com

> I assume they are going stuff it full of RAM or perhaps that's external too if you want more! Dunno, could be very interesting, as long as it earns me money I may take a punt on one when they come out. Compared to pro video cameras it will be cheap, that's for sure!

RAM is completely upgradable and should support 128GB via 4 slots. Internal SSD looks like it's configurable at time of order, though hard to tell from such an early version. No indication of configurations yet. The big question is: How much are we going to pay for those dual GPUs? As separate cards they would probably double the cost of the base machine, but we'll see..

Robert

Peter Boynton

Jun 12, 2013, 5:10:39 AM6/12/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Is it me or does the new Mac Pro seem to be symbolic of Steve Jobs iconic black turtleneck shirt? Maybe Apples way of keeping his spirit alive for a while to come!

Pete

Hannah Mackinlay

Jun 12, 2013, 12:51:27 PM6/12/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
I'm sold

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/06/a-critical-look-at-the-new-mac-pro/

I better start saving up - Xmas present to me I think!

Please please Santa make PPro fly on this!!

Ps check out the special apple page on it - see the link in the article

Derek Buttery

Jun 12, 2013, 1:57:05 PM6/12/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
looking good.... with a new apple screen I'll be cashing in a few birthdays, christmasses and father's days too... :(

graham thompson

Jun 15, 2013, 5:14:27 PM6/15/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com

I have downloaded a book from Innovative Language on to my iPad bookshelf. Now, having opened it I can find no way of getting rid of it to open another book.
It seems to take over and I can see no way out except going to another programme but when I go back to bookshelf there is this bl...y Innovative Language.

Any advice please

Graham

Rick Squires

Jun 16, 2013, 4:58:37 AM6/16/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
iBooks can be a bit fussy about where you tap to get the Library button up in my experience. Try tapping just below and slightly to the right of where it usually shows up. About 2 cm diagonally down from the top left corner usually works for me
Rick

Sent from my iPhone

graham thompson

Jun 16, 2013, 7:34:08 AM6/16/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rick. It worked. It is a problem that I had not come across before.
Graham

Paul Cruxton

Jun 29, 2013, 3:31:45 AM6/29/13
to mmug...@googlegroups.com, mmug...@googlegroups.com
I'd love one too. I think the external storage is the way to go for more flexibility.

But as a hobbyist it difficult to justify the cost. We'll have to see what the prices are like on launch :)

I'll need to sell some macs first I think.