block move error

Richard Spencer

Jan 2, 2001, 5:09:20 AM1/2/01
Hello All, and a very Happy New Year to ya!

I get a strange message just after I enter 'linux'
while booting LILO:

Block move error 0xAE
boot: linux

The 'linux' part clearly refers to my default Linux
kernel, but I'm puzzled about the rest.
Does anyone have any idea what this means?
(C'mon Lawson...)
-
the body of a message to majo...@vger.kernel.org

lawson_...@juno.com

Jan 2, 2001, 12:49:03 PM1/2/01

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Richard Spencer wrote:

> Hello All, and a very Happy New Year to ya!
>
> I get a strange message just after I enter 'linux'
> while booting LILO:

> Block move error 0xAE
> boot: linux
>
> The 'linux' part clearly refers to my default Linux
> kernel, but I'm puzzled about the rest.
> Does anyone have any idea what this means?
> (C'mon Lawson...)
> -

The error message is from /boot/boot.b, the lilo bootloader, you can see
it with "strings /boot/boot.b|less".

lilo uses the BIOS extended memory block move operation (int 0x15 ah
0x87) to arrange the linux kernel in memory where it can be booted.
Remember the machine boots in 16 bit real mode (meaning only 1mb is
reasonably addressible), and something has to
build page and descriptor tables.

I couldn't find error code 0xae in the interrup.b file (from
Undocumented DOS, IIRC). Maybe your BIOS or hardware is fried?
That error has not found its way into the doco because it never happens,
at least not ot Werner Almesberger,
but you can read the source in <lilo>/second.S
lilo then resets and goes back to the boot: prompt. Maybe you have
another image defined that can work.

Lawson
---cut here

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Richard Spencer

Jan 3, 2001, 8:34:29 AM1/3/01
Thanks Lawson! I did have another image defined in my lilo.conf,
and after commenting it out, no more 'block move error.'

You have once again zeroed-in on another solution (how do you do it?)

lawson_...@juno.com

Jan 3, 2001, 12:35:36 PM1/3/01

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Richard Spencer wrote:

> Thanks Lawson! I did have another image defined in my lilo.conf,
> and after commenting it out, no more 'block move error.'
>
> You have once again zeroed-in on another solution (how do you do it?)
> -

I don't know how I did that. I have about 20 images defined. There is
no harm in that. Probably you didn't run lilo one time when you should
have, so commenting out the other image reminded you to run lilo, and
it was rerunning lilo that fixed it.

Any conceivable lilo error can be caused by noving or changing one of
its files and not rerunning lilo.

Lawson

It is better to be lucky than good. - J. A. Soucy
---

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Richard Spencer

Jan 6, 2001, 12:46:34 PM1/6/01

I'm not so sure about it now, I still get the message 90% of the time.
Sometimes it goes away (and boots) after I hit <enter> but sometimes
I will have to hit <enter> 3, 5, 6, or 8 times. And I did run lilo, honest!

I'm still confused...any ideas?

lawson_...@juno.com

Jan 6, 2001, 2:11:33 PM1/6/01

On Sat, 6 Jan 2001, Richard Spencer wrote:

> I'm not so sure about it now, I still get the message 90% of the time.
> Sometimes it goes away (and boots) after I hit <enter> but sometimes
> I will have to hit <enter> 3, 5, 6, or 8 times. And I did run lilo, honest!
>
> I'm still confused...any ideas?

That's not the sort of error I would normally expect to yield to
retries. I am not sure which of the 386's address mode kluges block
move works with, but I remember there was a kluge in real mode that the
keyboard controller controlled address line 20, to either force
addresses to wrap back to 0 from ffff:f or carry on into the next 64k
block. I think it involved an IO command to the keyboard which sent
back a command to the controller which then messed with the address line
on the bus. If it's that bad a kluge, (I think it is), maybe your
keyboard cable is tired and has an intermittent connection on one line.

Fully 95% of the intermittent errors I have seen, with mainframes and
PC's, have been caused by faulty cables. The other 5%, the hardware
became obsolete and was retired before we isolated the problem. Oops,
wrong, there was one case of a circuit board that would not work
reliably when the humidity was too _low_ (!)

I'm pretty sure the design of keyboard hardware hasn't changed since the
PC-AT (80286), so the old A20 booby-trap is probably still there.

Lawson

If you don't want my peaches, then don't shake my tree.

Richard Spencer

Jan 6, 2001, 5:40:52 PM1/6/01
Well, I was using an old keyboard, and after changing it to the new
USB version which came with my new box, I didn't get the
"block move error" so you must be right. Unfortunately, I did
install RedHat 7.0 with the old keyboard, and after replacing
it with the new one, by boot-up messages stopped at:

Initializing USB controller (usb-unci):

I did not get an "OK" whereas before if *flew* past that line (with
an "OK" though.)

What do you suppose I'll need to do in order to get my USB
keyboard recognized upon boot-up?

Any ideas?

lawson_...@juno.com

Jan 6, 2001, 7:21:12 PM1/6/01

On Sat, 6 Jan 2001, Richard Spencer wrote:

> Well, I was using an old keyboard, and after changing it to the new
> USB version which came with my new box, I didn't get the
> "block move error" so you must be right. Unfortunately, I did
> install RedHat 7.0 with the old keyboard, and after replacing
> it with the new one, by boot-up messages stopped at:
>
> Initializing USB controller (usb-unci):
>
> I did not get an "OK" whereas before if *flew* past that line (with
> an "OK" though.)
>
> What do you suppose I'll need to do in order to get my USB
> keyboard recognized upon boot-up?
>
> Any ideas?

Sorry, I know lots about old hardware, but no one has donated any new
hardware, and I don't buy hardware that comes with M$ pre installed.

That saves me lots of money :-)

Lawson

Isn't there a USB-HOWTO by now? Or some mention in RHManual?

Richard Spencer

Jan 7, 2001, 6:42:16 AM1/7/01

Does anyone know whether kernel version 2.4 will have support for usb?

lawson_...@juno.com

Jan 8, 2001, 12:51:42 PM1/8/01

On Sun, 7 Jan 2001, Richard Spencer wrote:

> Does anyone know whether kernel version 2.4 will have support for usb?

2.2 has a directory <linux>/drivers/usb with a file README.kbd you might
find interesting. To try it with a 2.2 kernel, you will need
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL, which should then offer CONFIG_USB_KBD.

No doubt development has gone on with 2.3 kernels. There is nothing
really bad about development kernels. I used 1.3.18 for years with no
problems. That was after 2.0.x had stabilized, but I didn't have the
bandwidth to go after it, so I made do with 1.3.18. 1.2.12 couldn't
work my mighty 2x CD, IIRC, and source for both was on 1 slackware 3.0
CD.

Lawson

If you don't want my peaches, then don't shake my tree.

Richard Spencer

Jan 8, 2001, 6:56:10 PM1/8/01
Thanks for the advice. I'll look into building a 2.2.16 kernel.
I recently built a kernel from 2.4.0 with USB support, and with it,
the new USB keyboard didn't cause any trouble until the kernel loaded and I got
the login prompt. At that point, I got the following messages:

usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
usb.c USB device not accepting new address=7 (error=-110)

which repeated discussing address=8, 9, 10, and so on, until I
plugged in an old PS/2 'El Cheapo' and was able to log in and work.

Anyway, thanks again!

Michael Hobgood

Jan 9, 2001, 12:03:08 AM1/9/01
On Sun, 7 Jan 2001, Richard Spencer wrote:

> Does anyone know whether kernel version 2.4 will have support for usb?

Kernel 2.4.0 has support for USB. A late patch to the kernel did mess things
up somewhat, so you also need to get modutils-2.4.1, as this fixes things.
The remainder of the minimum software upgrades listed in the changelog
are current and correct.

Cordially,

Michael Hobgood