[ML][550D]

James Donnelly

Dec 20, 2010, 11:07:22 AM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

What is the best place for feature requests?

How about high speed video at low resolutions?  A bit like the Casio exilim range of cameras.  100fps+ would be neat, even if we're talking postage stamp resolutions.

Control over movie crop mode would also be nice.  This has been mentioned before over at DVINFO, but I thought I'd drag it up.  Wouldn't it be nice if we could control the crop resolution.  I think a 1080 crop would yield about a 2.7x magnification.  Is it also true that we would have less aliasing but worse noise owing to the lack of line skipping/pixel binning?  Would it be possible to have full control over sensor region and line skipping/resolution?

Could anyone give a status update on a couple of other things that have been mentioned, but maybe not in the context of the 550d (and while there is so much activity)?

 - Removing the zoom box on the HDMI output - whether recording or not.
 - PIP overlay for critical focus, with control over size, position and sample area.

If anyone can indicate if any or all of these are do-able, and perhaps order of feasibility, I might be tempted to get involved and have a crack at the 'low hanging fruit'.

Cheers,

James

Alex

Dec 20, 2010, 11:16:26 AM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Quote from Trammell:
Windowed sensor reads: No docs == no reads.

Would it have less aliasing or more noise? Try the 640x480 crop mode
and see for yourself.

100fps: don't think so.

Pixel binning is good (no aliasing, little noise). Pixel skipping is fast.

Zoom box: I don't have any HDMI device to check. Try the ClrPreview
function (hold down shutter half-pressed or star button, and all the
overlays should be gone). If this trick works, I can add an option to
clear the screen permanently.

PIP: comes from pixel peeping? May be possible (it's not
straightforward). There is some zebra code here, which is slow; AJ &
Piers are optimizing it (see the other messages).

> --
> http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

James Donnelly

Dec 20, 2010, 11:21:55 AM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
On 20 December 2010 16:16, Alex <broscu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Quote from Trammell:
     Windowed sensor reads: No docs == no reads.

Would it have less aliasing or more noise? Try the 640x480 crop mode
and see for yourself.

100fps: don't think so.

Pixel binning is good (no aliasing, little noise). Pixel skipping is fast.

Zoom box: I don't have any HDMI device to check. Try the ClrPreview
function (hold down shutter half-pressed or star button, and all the
overlays should be gone). If this trick works, I can add an option to
clear the screen permanently.

PIP: comes from pixel peeping? May be possible (it's not
straightforward). There is some zebra code here, which is slow; AJ &
Piers are optimizing it (see the other messages).

PIP = Picture-in-picture.

Thanks for the reply.

Alex

Dec 20, 2010, 11:25:06 AM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

James Donnelly

Dec 20, 2010, 11:30:16 AM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
OK, great.  Is there a lot of work involved to enable that functionality on the 550d?

Do you know if the code is in bitbucket?

Justyna Nadriczna

Dec 20, 2010, 11:33:36 AM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Alex do you have access to shutter speeds ? Is it possible to set 1/48 shutter speed with MLantern commands ? Its possible to do 1/45 and 1/50.

Alex

Dec 20, 2010, 11:34:05 AM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
After Antony's work will be stable, it shouldn't be difficult to do
it. As far as I know, code is not yet public.

Alex

Dec 20, 2010, 11:35:31 AM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
#define SHUTTER_40 99
#define SHUTTER_50 101

=> 100 should be SHUTTER_45 => answer is no.

Why do you need 1/48?

Justyna Nadriczna

Dec 20, 2010, 11:43:27 AM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
1/48 is the perfect shutter speed of film when you record in 24 frames per second.
Its here under Cinematographic shutter formula
With traditional shutter angle of 180° film is exposed for 1/48 second at 24 frame/s

There is shutter 45 available when you change exposure increments in P mode in custom functions camera menu 1/3 and 1/2 stops.With 1/3 you can get 1/45.

Alex

Dec 20, 2010, 11:47:27 AM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
:)

Can you tell the difference between 1/45 and 1/50?

The issue is not the shutter. See the latest comments from this thread:
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/175/cinematic-shutter

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 6:43 PM, Justyna Nadriczna

Alex

Dec 20, 2010, 11:49:11 AM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
* not the shutter speed

Justyna Nadriczna

Dec 20, 2010, 11:59:02 AM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Its not only about difference but also about flickering lights during 24p, in 25p lights dont flicker with shutter speed 50 but in 24p they do.Also shutter 1/20 for 60p would get rid of flickering lights.It has to be half of the frame rate or twice as big for 60/50fps when doing slowmotion.
So if 48 shutter is not in camera, how about 120 shutter speed for 60p ?

Justyna Nadriczna

Dec 20, 2010, 12:00:05 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Its there #define SHUTTER_250 120
Is it possible to enable all shutter speeds ? ITs not available in video mode, there is only 125

Justyna Nadriczna

Dec 20, 2010, 12:01:17 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Ah my mistake,its not there its opposite,shutter is 250 and command to set it is 120,so there is no 120 shutter speed in this cam ?

Justyna Nadriczna

Dec 20, 2010, 12:03:00 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

#define SHUTTER_100 109
#define SHUTTER_125 112

So how about values 110 and 111 ? Maybe its 120 in them ?

Justyna Nadriczna

Dec 20, 2010, 12:07:56 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Unlocking all shutter speed values for video modes would be great ,the same like you did with ISOS small increments which are not possible but you did it :) The same thing for all possible shutter speeds would be fantastic,full manual mode.

Alex

Dec 20, 2010, 12:11:56 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Well... let's try :)

I just hope Canon code won't block the shutter speeds like it does
with ISO greater than 6400.

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Justyna Nadriczna

Justyna Nadriczna

Dec 20, 2010, 12:23:39 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hehe that would be so awesome ,all shutter speeds unlocked like ISOs,550D would be super camera with full manual control ,You do amazning work :)

2010/12/20 Alex <broscu...@gmail.com>
Message has been deleted

Alex

Dec 20, 2010, 12:32:44 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, did not work. Display brightness change, but flicker no. With
PAL => no flicker, with NTSC => always flicker, regardless of the
overridden shutter.

Quick'n'dirty code (if anyone wants to try):

int shutter_raw = 0;
static void
shutter_display( void * priv, int x, int y, int selected )
{
bmp_printf(
selected ? MENU_FONT_SEL : MENU_FONT,
x, y,
"ShutterRaw: %d",
*(int*)priv
);
}

static void
shutter_toggle( void * priv )
{
unsigned * ptr = priv;
*ptr = mod(*ptr + 1, 153);
if (*ptr < 96) *ptr = 96;
lens_set_shutter(*ptr);
}

{
.priv = &shutter_raw,
.display = shutter_display,
.select = shutter_toggle,
},

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 7:19 PM, Justyna Nadriczna
<justyna...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Best thing would be to record whole sensor not 16:9 crop but its probably
> very hard and ga

Justyna Nadriczna

Dec 20, 2010, 12:44:02 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Can you leave this shutter speed change values for us to test there or is it buggy ? Can we have all possible shutter speeds ? some speeds are available/not available with 1/3 exposure increments or 1/2 exposure increments ,so it would be very good to have them all no matter what exposure increments are.

Alex

Dec 20, 2010, 12:47:48 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Here. Use at your own risk. I've only ran it in video mode.

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 7:44 PM, Justyna Nadriczna

autoexec.bin

Justyna Nadriczna

Dec 20, 2010, 1:01:42 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Haha it works, you are unbelievable :) I vote for leaving this option ,Yes 120 doesnt help nmuch with flicker but I think its there ,in theory it should be, i have no way to check this and what are actual shutter speeds with values like 110 ,111 or 134 ,135 ,with ISOs how did you checked real ISO speeds ? i mean speed like 115 ,how did you know its 115 ? Cause when i record with shutter 45 then it says shutter 40 when you press disp when browsing clips on camera,but i know its 45 not 40.
Can camera display ISO 115 or shutter 120 ? Or its better to display them in small fonts along wiith spot meter % and lens info ?

Antony Newman

Dec 20, 2010, 1:26:29 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I previously found a table in the DryOs that listed the number of (I think) microseconds that corresponded to   1/50  .. 1/60  etc.
I think was something like 20,000   and 16,667.   I was thinking at the time .. what if we changed the 20,000 value to  20,833 micro-seconds (1/48th).

Had a quick look in IDA ... can't remember where the table is located.

AJ

Alex

Dec 20, 2010, 1:31:15 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Here's the table of shutter values vs raw values:
/** Shutter values */
#define SHUTTER_30 96

#define SHUTTER_40 99
#define SHUTTER_50 101
#define SHUTTER_60 104
#define SHUTTER_80 107

#define SHUTTER_100 109
#define SHUTTER_125 112
#define SHUTTER_160 115
#define SHUTTER_200 117
#define SHUTTER_250 120
#define SHUTTER_320 123
#define SHUTTER_400 125
#define SHUTTER_500 128
#define SHUTTER_640 131
#define SHUTTER_800 133
#define SHUTTER_1000 136
#define SHUTTER_1250 139
#define SHUTTER_1600 141
#define SHUTTER_2000 144
#define SHUTTER_2500 147
#define SHUTTER_3200 149
#define SHUTTER_4000 152

Justyna Nadriczna

Dec 20, 2010, 1:31:17 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Wow that would be like factory unlocked camera with all possible speeds that we can imagine,so its possible ?

Justyna Nadriczna

Dec 20, 2010, 1:32:32 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Yes but values like 110 and 111 etc are not described so how to guess actual shutter speeds with them ?

Alex

Dec 20, 2010, 1:37:12 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Linear interpolation may be a good guess. I'd say 110=>110 and
111=>115. An XY plot of those values may also help.

Justyna Nadriczna

Dec 20, 2010, 1:45:18 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I see :) Thanks very much for what you guys did,its different camera now,so you will leave those shutter speeds for some future releases ? Disp doesnt work on them ,i guess its very fast coding for tests but i think everything works OK and there is no need to worry.
I tried if shutter 30 works in 60p But it doesnt, i guess its impossible.

Antony Newman

Dec 20, 2010, 1:47:18 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
"shutter values vs raw values:"

I think the raw values here are the one ones use to lookup the string that prints out "1/50", "1/60" etc on the screen itself.

Somewhere in the dryos - it looks up the actual timings required (I pretty sure these are it doesn't actually do the division calculation on the fly).

AJ

Justyna Nadriczna

Dec 20, 2010, 1:50:09 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Woah so in future it might be possible to even set different framerates not defined by canon engineers ?

2010/12/20 Antony Newman <antony...@gmail.com>
"shutter values vs raw values:"

AJ

Antony Newman

Dec 20, 2010, 2:06:50 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Framerates changes for Video is not easy because all the Firmware has explicit checks for the expected frame rates (ie far to much code to hack).
There is fragments of of 20hz framerate that (I guess) they forgot to take out.  I haven't experimented with it though.

AJ

Justyna Nadriczna

Dec 20, 2010, 2:12:30 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
hehe,fascinating stuff ,im not in need of some higher fps but if it will be possible someday and safe then why not.
What about 16:9 crop in video? Is there check for this somewhere ? So is it possible to record whole sensor ,doesnt even matter if it will be stretched into 16:9 picture at first,im curious if its possible at all to grab whole picture or 4:3 picture with cropped sides instead of top and bottom in 1080p video mode.Whole sensor recording would be perfect for anamorphic cinema lenses
2010/12/20 Antony Newman <antony...@gmail.com>
Framerates changes for Video is not easy because all the Firmware has explicit checks for the expected frame rates (ie far to much code to hack).
There is fragments of of 20hz framerate that (I guess) they forgot to take out.  I haven't experimented with it though.

AJ

Antony Newman

Dec 20, 2010, 2:31:01 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Justyna,

It needs someone to continue reverse engineering the DIGIC structures.  It's neither simple nor quick.
I have reams of weird diagrams in my static analysis phase before I setup ML on my computer.
It will need someone else to 'play' in this area for progress to be made in the near term.

AJ

Alex

Dec 20, 2010, 2:32:27 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
New test build for shutter speeds, a bit more polished.

I've tried to enable 1/6000 and 1/8000; camera just refused those values.

magiclantern-2010Dec20.550d.fw109.shutter.alex.zip

Justyna Nadriczna

Dec 20, 2010, 2:37:22 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Alex this is unbelievable ! Thank you all guys , i know reverse engineering is very hard so HUGE huge respect for you all guys !
Im testing new version and its beautiful :)