[ML] 5D2 Overlay & Focus

Antony Newman

Dec 12, 2010, 7:38:36 PM12/12/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Here's a quick video of some ongoing 5D2 experimentation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMMWeouFqsA

Regards,
Antony

Antony Newman

Jan 3, 2011, 4:36:57 AM1/3/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Here's a quick update on the 'Focus Assist' function.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nW25AtYjAk

AJ.

James Donnelly

Jan 3, 2011, 6:04:51 AM1/3/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Personally I think this is one of THE killer features made possible by ML, so thanks for making it happen, looks really good.

Is it going to be possible to modify the zoom factor of the focus assist overlay independently of adjusting its size?

Is there much more work needed to get this committed to ML?  I would love to start playing with the code to learn from it.

--
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

Antony Newman

Jan 3, 2011, 5:03:27 PM1/3/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

The Overlay (currently) displays a 1 : 1 image from he the hd_vram buffer to the Overlay memory used by LCD or HDMI.
The zoom is therefore dependent on the number of pixels in the hd_ram (vs the display device overlay pixel size).

Input: hd_vram - x res
==================
Not_Recording (x1) 1024 pixels
Not_Recording (x5) 1120 pixels
Not_Recording (x10) 1120 pixels
Recording 1872 pixels

Currently, the centre of the Overlay disc in hd_vram(x,y) is recalculated whenever the resolution changes - so it should stay in the same place even when record in pressed.

I did initially play with huge pieces of asm to do zoom - but I kept running out of memory compiling the code (although now I've removed the 'huge' font ... and so there would have been space to keep it in).  Zooming beyond the 1:1 display doesn't help you focus .. and so I don't think its worth putting back in.

How does it work
===============
I started with ML;  Commented out all code that does screen update (that I couldn't switch off).
ML periodically calls my code, which then handles Vector Cropmark, Icons, Zebra & Overlay (about 4000 lines of C & assembler).

ML Compatibility
==============
Edge Detection: I removed it from my code as, even when I emulated the Marshal monitor red tinting it didn't help you focus any better.

Histogram or Waveform: I haven't coded. If you have Zebras .. do you need these? ML does its screen updates differently.  Either (1) ML could plots these where my code was not drawing, or (2) my code could be altered to have a cutout for ML to plot, or (3) I was convinced these are required, and write some asm to work these out/plot at the bottom of the screen (or maybe the unused sides when in HDMI mode)

Audio meters: If Vector cropmark is set below line 33 - these can work exactly as they are.  My feeling is that this icon could be relocated to the bottom of the screen (in a compressed form), so that all the available vram picture under the Over can be seen (helps you see what's about to come on screen / may help you focus).

AJ

Antony Newman

Jan 4, 2011, 12:54:40 AM1/4/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Moira,

I don't have much experience of which Canon menus are actual used (ie active) when recording.

Could you send me a photo of the back of your 5D when in use.

I'll set my camera to the same, and (try) and get my display information in empty space (if there is any)

Thanks for the offer of testing.

AJ

Jason Carrier

Jan 4, 2011, 4:38:46 AM1/4/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
it would be nice to have the audio meters turn on and off with a button, and i dont know if this has been implemented yet since i cant yet use ML (60d) but it would be nice to have the option to control audio gain while recording

AJ

Thomas Berndt

Jan 4, 2011, 11:31:39 AM1/4/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

Hello AJ,

Good Job! That was actually the functionality I was waiting for all the time! If your code is ready for some serious testing let me know! :-)

Again! Good Job and keep up the good work!

Cheers!

Thomas

Antony Newman

Jan 4, 2011, 12:47:28 PM1/4/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

"Personally I find that the histogram is more valuable than zebras (which I find distracting when filming).  I would be more than happy to see the audio meters relocated to the bottom of the screen.  It would mean sacrificing the Canon Info display which I do sometime use as it is easier for my (ageing) eyes to read than the ML onme - but I can live with that."  [Moira]

Moira.  I had a quick think today about your email.

Here's what is currently happens:

+) The Zebras that I have in the Overlay & Zebra code are drawn inside the Cropmarked area, and not on the Overlay
+) I've changed the Peak level up from 240 to 255 (255 being the maximum).  This means it only shows 'Red' hatch when you really have peaked (ie not all the time).
+) I've changed the Low level up down from 10 to 2 (0 being the minimum).  This means it only shows 'Blue' hatch when you really have peaked (ie not all the time).
+) I found the size of the ML zebras checkers too large. (8 x 8) pixels.  When you panned the camera, the pattern would looks like it Jumps (didn't like that). Secondly, lack of detail - just a blob.   I've used 4x4 - which (in my opinion) looks fine.
+) I have a option that reduces Zebras impact (draw every other line).  They both look good - Not sure which people would prefer.

Next : Histogram.

If you think this is useful - I will write one.    As this requires a large amount of data to process - audio meters (the icing on the cake) can wait.   Do you mind if we start of scratch an we decide the best interface that has the least CPU overhead?

Q1) What are you actually looking for when you look at the histograms?  That all the picture information is not Too Bright or Too Dim?

Q2) Rather than details information on the number of pixels on the screen that are an exact Brightness level... could we break this down into ranges? ( Eg   0-15.  16-31 ....... 240-255).  The exact levels in each range could be decided up front.   If Yes - I can start coding this - I just need to know the minimum number of ranges that we need.   (in cause you are wondering, I want to store all the level counts in CPU 'registers' which means I don't have to write to memory = works like lighting)

Q3) Display of data. Horizontal?  Vertical?  Colour?  Can we design exactly what is needed.  Where would you want this (hopefully on the bottom of the screen!)

AJ

Antony Newman

Jan 4, 2011, 1:24:17 PM1/4/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
"it would be nice to have the audio meters turn on and off with a button, and i dont know if this has been implemented yet since i cant yet use ML (60d) but it would be nice to have the option to control audio gain while recordin"  [Jason]

Jason,  I know next to nothing about the ML menu's .. I'll leave this to the ML gurus.

I had originally used the 5D2 Dial to make the Overlay rotate clockwise / anticlockwise .... only to discover that the DryOs also uses it to control functions when recording (ahhh).  And so I removed that method of taking key input.

5D2 Buttons in use

[Play] is used to rotate the position of the overlay 90 degrees (only to be used when recording right now as LiveView uses play .. and the DryOs changes the location of the HighDef videoram buffer ... and I haven't worked out where it moved too).

[Trashcan] Activate / deactivate Zebra & Overlay (also clears screen)

[Joy Up/down/right/left/+any digonal] Move the origin of the data uses in the overlay (ie within hd vram)

[Magnify -] Cycle through size of Overlay (small, medium, fullscreen).   The first two are just circles, the last one stretches into an ellipse that uses most of the screen.

REMOTE CONTROL
I think the ideal solution would be for at least one button to be remotely controllable (eg on / off) .. or ideally all of them.
I guess we need someone interested enough to want to develop one.

Using this gadget that TH mentioned in an earlier email would be fab!
http://www.viewfactor.net/index.php/products/impero.html

AJ

Moira O'Brien LIPF

Jan 4, 2011, 1:56:26 PM1/4/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
On 4 January 2011 17:47, Antony Newman <antony...@gmail.com> wrote:

"Personally I find that the histogram is more valuable than zebras (which I find distracting when filming).  I would be more than happy to see the audio meters relocated to the bottom of the screen.  It would mean sacrificing the Canon Info display which I do sometime use as it is easier for my (ageing) eyes to read than the ML one - but I can live with that."  [Moira]

Moira.  I had a quick think today about your email.

Here's what is currently happens:

+) The Zebras that I have in the Overlay & Zebra code are drawn inside the Cropmarked area, and not on the Overlay
+) I've changed the Peak level up from 240 to 255 (255 being the maximum).  This means it only shows 'Red' hatch when you really have peaked (ie not all the time).

Agreed

+) I've changed the Low level up down from 10 to 2 (0 being the minimum).  This means it only shows 'Blue' hatch when you really have peaked (ie not all the time).

Agreed

+) I found the size of the ML zebras checkers too large. (8 x 8) pixels.  When you panned the camera, the pattern would looks like it Jumps (didn't like that). Secondly, lack of detail - just a blob.   I've used 4x4 - which (in my opinion) looks fine.

This sounds a lot better than Trammel's version.  I look forward to seeing this.  The existing ML only has over exposure peaking, no under exposure.  Depending upon how well this works it might be a good alternative to histogram.

+) I have a option that reduces Zebras impact (draw every other line).  They both look good - Not sure which people would prefer.

Will be interested in seeing this and the effect on the display.

Could you do a quick video to demonstrate these developments?

Next : Histogram.

If you think this is useful - I will write one.    As this requires a large amount of data to process - audio meters (the icing on the cake) can wait.   Do you mind if we start of scratch an we decide the best interface that has the least CPU overhead?

I don't mind at all starting from scratch.  If you can make it more memory efficient then so much the better.  However, I don't consider audio meters to be the icing on the cake - for me they are probably the most important feature and I will trade them for the histogram (especially if your enhanced zebras work well).

Q1) What are you actually looking for when you look at the histograms?  That all the picture information is not Too Bright or Too Dim?

I am looking at the overall distribution of pixels to find the optimum curve with the midtones being the highest level and no clipping on the whites or the blacks.  In essence I am looking for the MAXIMUM pixel information to be recorded. See the attached photo which has a reasonable distribution with only a small amount of over peaking (as you can see from the zebras).  Note that the existing histogram has a lowered opacity on the background - only the whites are displayed at full opacity..

Q2) Rather than detailed information on the number of pixels on the screen that are an exact Brightness level... could we break this down into ranges? ( Eg   0-15.  16-31 ....... 240-255).  The exact levels in each range could be decided up front.   If Yes - I can start coding this - I just need to know the minimum number of ranges that we need.   (in cause you are wondering, I want to store all the level counts in CPU 'registers' which means I don't have to write to memory = works like lighting)

This is an interesting idea and worth trying out.  I would say that steps of 10 would give sufficient information.  15 may be too large a step.

Q3) Display of data. Horizontal?  Vertical?  Colour?  Can we design exactly what is needed.  Where would you want this (hopefully on the bottom of the screen!)

Position - if we can keep the background opacity low, then the current position is fine. The bottom of the screen is going to get very congested as that seems to be your preferred position for the audio meters. I will be happy to chat off list to go into more detail on design etc.  My phone no is after my signature.

I would be interested in hearing other users comments on this email, especially on the relative importance of the three facilities ie:

Zebras
Histogram
Audio Meters

Moira
+353 876 214532

Photo1.jpg

M.v.M.

Jan 4, 2011, 2:36:00 PM1/4/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
  Matthias von Mutius here..
Zebras are very useful when doing run and gun stuff, not hitting 100% white is essential and must be when done really  done with a purpose, So Over is needed and will probably not be seen very much :-) but when seen corrected. Under-Zebras are not used in broadcast cameras, why ? Well black is black is black....
Smaller checkers are always welcome as long as they are still visible as zebra...

Histograms: very useful to check your gamma, when most stuff is in the middle you know you are okay.. For a useful histogram lets have more info on high and low  values for example: 0-5 6-12 13-25 26-50 51-90 91-145  146-200 201- 219 220- 242 243-249 250-255, This will show more important regions more detailed, maybe the values can be better visible if the display is showing an exaggerated profile, like setting the highest existing group to 100% and adjusting the rest accordingly ? so we could see at one glance what kind of look (low-key-high-key) we will get.

Thanks for reading Matthias

"Antony Newman" <antony...@gmail.com> schrieb:

Moira O'Brien LIPF

Jan 4, 2011, 2:48:04 PM1/4/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for slightly disagreeing with you Matthias but coming from a stills photography background I am always looking for detail in both then highlights and the blacks - so, while I agree that black is black, I do want to know how much of the image is completely black.

Moira

Alex

Jan 4, 2011, 2:49:46 PM1/4/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
My 550D clips low light levels to pure black in video mode, that's why
I've put lower zebra threshold at 10. And this happens indoors at
normal lighting levels imo (iso 800 @ f5.6), not candlelight...

Shooting the same stuff at iso 1600 came out perfect.

For histogram, I think 10 bins or so are sufficient.

Antony Newman

Jan 4, 2011, 3:27:25 PM1/4/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Moira,

Thanks for the photo!

"I don't mind at all starting from scratch.  If you can make it more memory efficient then so much the better.  However, I don't consider audio meters to be the icing on the cake - for me they are probably the most important feature and I will trade them for the histogram (especially if your enhanced zebras work well)."

ML Existing
In ML, when you want the Histogram, you also activate the preparation of data for the waveform.
The waveform is stored in a matrix that is 360x256 (x4 bytes) = 360 KBytes  (That's quite a chunk of memory to cleared & filled)
The Histogram is 128 bins (x4 bytes)   (updated for every pixel .. that a lot of IO)

AJ 15 bins x 10bits
My 'not-quite-worked-out' solution is to store everything that we need in 20 Bytes.
The routine will process entire lines of vram, and accumulate the all the 'bins' values with 5 registers (1reg = 4Bytes).

If there's a maximum of 720 pixel per std_vram line .. you need 10 bits to describe that bin.
5 regs x 32bits/10bits = 15 bins.

This could mean the bins are only written at the end of each line (probably around 100 times faster).

AJ

== I was going to delete this part of the email - you can ignore it ==

AJ
more bins - tricky
Slightly more 'tricky' assembler required here to empty bins when they get full.
Lets say 6 bits allowed per bin.   It can 'count' up to 63 times occurrences of brightnesses in its band before having to update memory (and zero its counter).  This would mean that a memory update would be required every 64 pixels (ish).

6bits = 5 bins per Register.    5 bins x 5 regs = 25 bins.

AJ Even More bins - more tricky
I could squeeze another 3 bins in 10bit mode.   18 bins!   (who thought bins could be so exciting?)
And if I was very daring .. another 2 bins. 20 bins!  That would make the gap around 13.   0..12,   13..25...
The issue with more complex code is that there are diminished returns .. ie it will not run like lightning!

M.v.M.

Jan 4, 2011, 3:53:00 PM1/4/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Well Moira, thats what I use the histogram for while checking my exposure, basically before pressing REC. When the conditions start to change I mostly fear loosing the highlights, because blown out whites are ugly and there is no way to fix in post, so when the zebra shows up I know this scene is lost. I need to find a new angle as a cutaway or start all over again. Example: my world is documentary work, somebody tells you his story, suddenly the sun comes out behind clouds or a door is opened etc. blown out whites are for a short moment happening. What is going on when suddenly the scene is darkening ? It is mostly usable if your audience can understand why everything is getting darker NOW. You may need a cutaway to the clouds as well but not as quick and not before the change happens because the scene is still mostly usable, and can even be corrected to some extend in post.
 And finally I see mostly always some parts in a scene that are black, the telephone line in the sky, the black in street signs and very often dark shadows on sunny days. I know and I see them as black on the screen of the camera as does my naked  eye. This is the way our seeing works, we naturally and automatically always expose for the high-lights and accept blacks in real life as existing..

 And filming is always just mimicking natural vision behaviour..

Thanks for reading Matthias

Ba...@aol.com

Piers

Jan 4, 2011, 6:51:41 PM1/4/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious whether anyone's seen this in practice: I have an AVCHD Lite camera that comes into FCP always clipped, and only by running it all thru Color can I get my blacks back. Canon (550D in my case) I haven't had to do that.

I'm not saying that the head/bottom room isn't there, but I haven't had to delve into it.

PG

Chris Barcellos

Jan 4, 2011, 8:58:03 PM1/4/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Here is a discussion of the known issue, and solutions:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-5d-mk-ii-hd/140690-5d-mk-ii-crush-black-issue.html

Piers

Jan 4, 2011, 9:39:36 PM1/4/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
We're getting OT, I guess, but those are from a year ago. I haven't really seen this on my 550 - just wondering if I'm lucky, or the 550D's different, or we have some change in QuickTime or FCP (or L&T) to deal better with this?

Antony Newman

Jan 5, 2011, 3:26:46 AM1/5/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Thankyou all for the insights into this.

+) I note that in ML it averages two pixels intensities.  Does this matter / not really?

I currently scribbling asm ideas down on post-it notes - and have arrived at (what I think is) two solutions

Solution - 1 - Register resident

There would be 21 levels ranges
+) [0] by itself (it won't be counted, in the asm, but will be worked out at the end as total pixels - total counted)

+) 20 ranges of the remainder with minimum resolution of 4.    [0-3 (really 1-3)],    [4-7],   [8-12] .....[248-251]...[252-255]
    (so    [4-11] would be valid, as would   [12-23]   )

+) There are 12 ranges in the Marshall false colour on http://www.marshallmonitors.com/products/monitors/V-LCD50-HDMI/
     [0 = Fusia] + 11 ranges.    We would have 20, and could elect where we want more detail.
     If we did line up with False colour, the Histogram Icon could use colour that match the same IRE bands

Estimated CPU impact = 8 cycles per two pixels (in calculating the bins)
Estimated Read & Writes per line contention = 20.

Solution - 2 - Store to memory

Use existing ML C logic with slight correction now that we know that luma is 8bit.

 There would be 255 actual levels
+) [0] by itself (it won't be counted, in the asm, but will be worked out at the end as total pixels - total counted)

+) 255 pixel bins

Estimated CPU impact = 6-10 cycles (depending on Cache hit) per two pixels (in calculating the bins).
Estimated Read & Writes per line contention = max of 720 (depending on Cache hit)

I'll should get some time later in the week .. and could code both to get a feel of their impact.

AJ

Alex

Jan 5, 2011, 3:29:59 AM1/5/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Two pixel averaging was there for speed... I guess.

Antony Newman

Jan 7, 2011, 8:43:39 AM1/7/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Histo Caculation
============
I will be coding for either 64 bins ( or maybe 128).

I am more inclined to process each pixels individual luma and 64 bins, rather than add the luma up of two pixels and use 256bins (existing code)..

Histo display
=========
Currenly thinking of using a Horizontal lines.  Lines at the botom Luma=0.  Lines at the top=100%.
I'm also inclined to use a Colouring similar to the Marshal 'False' colour (so you know which Level these correspond to).
(may also be interesting if a FalseColour option is ever available).

If you can think of excellent compact way to show this information - let me know ASAP.

Canon 'Under/Over Exposure' icon
=========================
In Moira's photo - this was displaed along with the other Canon Icons.

Question 1) If you the Histogram .. do you need the Canon Icon?

Question 2) If the histogram is a replacement for the under/over exposed canon display - which of the Canon icons do we actually need when shooting video?

Thanks.
AJ

Alex

Jan 7, 2011, 8:52:07 AM1/7/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
64 bins is fine. Horizontal histogram... it's pretty strange (all
graphics programs I know display the histogram like it's now, with
vertical bars).

A compact way to show under/over exposure would be as a percentage. A
(logarithmic maybe) graphical display (like the audio meters, but
small, like an icon) might help.

Moira O'Brien LIPF

Jan 7, 2011, 10:52:41 AM1/7/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
On 7 January 2011 13:43, Antony Newman <antony...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>

Histo display
=========
Currenly thinking of using a Horizontal lines.  Lines at the botom Luma=0.  Lines at the top=100%.
I'm also inclined to use a Colouring similar to the Marshal 'False' colour (so you know which Level these correspond to).
(may also be interesting if a FalseColour option is ever available).

If you can think of excellent compact way to show this information - let me know ASAP.

Given that real estate is limited either display vertical bars at the bottom of the screen or horizontal bars (so what, Alex, that no one else does this)  on the right side of screen - in either case with low opacity background as at present.

 Canon 'Under/Over Exposure' icon
=========================
In Moira's photo - this was displaed along with the other Canon Icons.

Question 1) If you the Histogram .. do you need the Canon Icon?

No

Question 2) If the histogram is a replacement for the under/over exposed canon display - which of the Canon icons do we actually need when shooting video?

If the font size of the ML display is increased (for me) then none of the Canon display is necessary except the battery info.

Moira

Antony Newman

Jan 9, 2011, 4:26:23 PM1/9/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if there my web-cam has enough resolution to effectively demonstrate the 'low impact' Zebras .. but here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5t18bQ7m64

AJ

JaKoB

Jan 9, 2011, 4:58:45 PM1/9/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
wow my 5d2 is ready for this lol

Moira O'Brien LIPF

Jan 9, 2011, 7:42:26 PM1/9/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Much more friendly AJ! Well done.

When can we have this and the focus assist to try out?

Moira

On 9 January 2011 21:58, JaKoB <jako...@gmail.com> wrote:
wow my 5d2 is ready for this lol

Antony Newman

Jan 10, 2011, 3:26:28 AM1/10/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jakob /  Moira.

Before releasing a test version - I will complete the 'core' (which is over 6,000 lines of code so far)  to the point it is unlikely to change.
This will enable me to effectively troubleshoot any issues subsequently found.

My activity list is as follows:

Core
+) Histogram for non-false colour options (this is in the debugging the assembler code stage. 75% complete) [quite involved]
+) Audio meters & Display.  This is (I believe) another task that may use a lot of CPU power. [investigate and maybe write]

Non-core
+) Add menu options for Vector Cropmarks  [should be easy]
+) ML persisting of data into config [investigate and utilise - should be easy]
+) Lens based input

Regards,
AJ

Alex

Jan 10, 2011, 3:29:54 AM1/10/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
AJ,

> ML persisting of data into config [investigate and utilise - should be easy]

CONFIG_INT("var.name", var_name, 5) // setting name from magic.cfg, C var name, default value

Only works with unsigned (16bit maybe) and strings. That's it.

Antony Newman

Jan 10, 2011, 3:44:22 AM1/10/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Alex!

Antony Newman

Jan 11, 2011, 8:01:43 AM1/11/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
MENU

I was doing a having a look at the  "Add menu options for Vector Cropmarks  [should be easy]" task .. and didn't see a nice way to get input of numbers (eg 720) for cropmarks.

I've introduced a bit of a hack into menu.c (as I don't want to change every other menu) in ML.

I use a global variable set to Zero when the menu line is diplayed.  If the menu changes teh value (eg to 16), the next menu is only moved down 16 pixels rather than the default of 32 (or whetever large font is).

This should allow me to use Large fonts and small font where needed .. and also .. If I set the 'y' to change by Zero, I'll be able to display a 'Slot machine' style number input (3 digits on one line, the use can move the cursor between each one cycle between them).  This means that in about 30 clicks you can set a number from 0..999.

AJ

Antony Newman

Jan 13, 2011, 8:29:00 PM1/13/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Here's what the Menu currently looks like ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh6EsMl3ZPQ

AJ

ba...@aol.com

Jan 14, 2011, 12:01:00 AM1/14/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Anthony:

I am wowed.... very nice.

Is this ready for prime time and if so, can you point me to source.
I have grown accustomed to false colors on my Marshall, but would be
cool for times I don't have monitor up...

Rock Hard Erections. All New Formula
Attacks the Root Fast
www.capitolbird.org/pharma.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh6EsMl3ZPQ

AJ

James Donnelly

Jan 14, 2011, 4:42:53 AM1/14/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
On 14 January 2011 01:29, Antony Newman <antony...@gmail.com> wrote:
Here's what the Menu currently looks like ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh6EsMl3ZPQ

Congratulations, amazing work.   I admire your dedication and skill.

Antony Newman

Jan 14, 2011, 8:27:59 AM1/14/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks for the comments!

Tasks to complete:
+) Debugging "Histogram-caculator-for-Zebra" region.  This needs about 8 hours in one session. (ie the weekend)
+) Audio - monitoring and diplay.  This will take an elapsed week
+) Storing config data.  This will require a little bit of time as I may need to enable users to 'add' new vector cropmarks on the fly (I haven't investigated this yet).

This represents the 'core' of the code.  I'd rather share this when I know its all works as intended!

Guess 2-3 weeks?

AJ

Ba...@aol.com

Jan 14, 2011, 11:20:35 AM1/14/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update.

Alex

Jan 15, 2011, 3:23:14 AM1/15/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
AJ,

For vector cropmarks, I suggest to look at some existing work (i.e.
don't reinvent the wheel). Examples:
* http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Grids (code seems to be simple enough to be ported)
* try to find out how to use the built-in SVG engine, as Trammell
suggested in the fonts thread (I'm sure you can do that).

On the other hand, I'm thinking not to remove the BMP cropmark
support, because anyone can make one in Paint (or another image
editing program). It's very flexible and convenient for users. If they
are refreshed only when needed, this may be a good solution. RAM usage
is around 350k and can be optimized a lot.

On the other hand, you may have a generic option in menu (outline or
letterbox) for most common aspect ratios (i.e. 4:3, 3:2, cinemascope)
which won't need extra input files.

What do you think?

Antony Newman

Jan 15, 2011, 6:35:29 AM1/15/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

ML/Zebra.c

I'm happy to co-exist my code with Zebra.c and its support for cropmarks as long as:

+) The huge static arrays are replaced by Mallocs (I don't want to starve the DryOs & my code of memory)
+) I can change the sleep timer in Zebra.c can be optionally increased to every second

Cropmarks

I have not spent much time looking at CHDK forum.   There may be some overlap.
I am interested in having a high speed graphics engine with the video tools you need integrated into core.

From this perspective, I my cropmarks aim is to:
+) have two areas - inside the crop marks where the engine renders False colours and Zebras
+) Outside the cropmarks area where the vector border of the cropmarks can be displayed

The Focus Assist 'Overlay' has a vector matrix that describes where it will be drawn - and the engine ignores this area when updating the Zebras.

Scaling:  Whilst not totally tested, the aim of this is to recalibrate the 480p cropmarks depending on which screen mode is being displayed (LCD, HDMI)

Cropmarks Graphics inside 'cropmark region'

I have not written this into the engine.  It is possible that the engine could be extended to cater for this - better to get something that works out rather than build everything I could dream of into it.

I will post of video of how the completed GUI works for cropmarks (finished it yesterday) ... but I need to concentrate on a assembler debug a the routine that processes histogram & zebra.

ScaledVectorGraphics
I didn't think the DryOs had scaled vector graphics.   If you search for "Rectangle" in the subroutine list - you'll (I think) see the drawing routines that it uses.  All the code seems to hard code switches based on what the vram resolution is (or which engio struct is being used).

Dryos Fonts: I have not investigated these - but did find the Bitmap images of the 'Loading' screen, and (I think Dryos) bitmap fonts stored in memory.

I know very little about the dryos graphics routines beyond this - probably needs someone to investigate how they work (if we need to use them).

"On the other hand, you may have a generic option in menu (outline or
letterbox) for most common aspect ratios (i.e. 4:3, 3:2, cinemascope)
which won't need extra input files."

I have have generic options - but they need to be calibrated (eg by taking exsiting 'square' cropmarks bmps and working out which pixel positions they are drawn at).

AJ

Antony Newman

Jan 15, 2011, 8:07:49 AM1/15/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Here's the Vector Cropmarks GUI:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__xHleg7oiY

AJ

Alex

Jan 16, 2011, 5:18:19 AM1/16/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Scaling cropmarks: good idea. There may be artifacts for bitmap
cropmarks, or wrong thickness for vector ones, but I think it's
usable.

I've used scaling code in the focus peaking code (because the hd image
vram and lcd vram have different sizes). It may be very slow for
images, though. How fast is the integer division on ARM? A look-up
table may help and it's not that big.

About your "crap" hacks: I think they suggest there's another problem
in another part of the code. At least that was my conclusion after
debugging LUA (which uses LOTS of mallocs and reallocs).

Antony Newman

Jan 16, 2011, 7:24:45 AM1/16/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Lookuptables:

When the user moves the magnified image (focus assist overlay) - it calculates where the circle (or ellipse) intersects with the screen pixels - which use square roots - on the fly.  I put as much of the final calculation in the lookup table as I can.

For the YUV transformation I started down the numerical analysis root with hundreds of bits of paper to see I could spot the 'pattens' so that I could convert from YUV directly.  When the CPU time for the calculation started taking longer than the alternative (computing 3 indicies + a lookup) -> I went down the lookup root.     (I create the YUV index in around 6 CPU cycles now).     My next choice was where to put my the entire lookup in Cache (8192 bytes), or cached / uncached memory.    Ultimately  I decided to put it in cached memory, and not 'steal' the cache  (the frame rate was already plenty fast enough).

Transformation:  I was going to put this in the other thread, but was guessing you've already checked to see if any of the other buffers has a pixel ratio that you are more able to use.  If you are not processing at full resolution - then you could use a vram buffer that maps perfectly on the overlay.

Crap-hacks:  My current guess is that the task scheduler uses Interrupts to stop the ARM executing your C (or asm) code.  And that the other task is using too much dma.  This is only a theory based on the fact that when I switched off (ie commented out)  ML 'audio_meter_task'  and turned off the 'zebra task' - my code no longer required  long long pauses in non-memory intensive locations to stop it 'freezing' (I have never got 'err77' on my display - the task just seemed to freeze).

A second theory is that the the DryOs has difficultly with too many tasks (or maybe where they don't hand back enough time to it using 'msleep()').

My intention is to have all screen updates handled by a single task - as this will let me more easily regulate what the user sees.  (the only exception being when the 'ML menu' is displayed when my screen update task hibernates).

There are some DryOs 'task information' (along with memory info) routines that I have not looked at that may be useful for health-checking what the tasks are doing (eg they are not hogging the CPU expectantly).

AJ

Antony Newman

Jan 16, 2011, 7:50:03 AM1/16/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

There is one other side effect that has happened since i've deactivated the zebra task & audio-meter - which is that ML no longer seems to get 'stuck' in bootup (ie refusing to go into live-view).  I don't know if this is coincidence - but this issue seems to have vanished (I hope for-ever!).

I'm only one day into this - and maybe the 'getting stuck' only happened to me (!).

AJ

Alex

Jan 16, 2011, 7:52:07 AM1/16/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
The audio module crashes LUA badly, so you might just have located a
bug in the audio meter...

But the zebra (at least the 550D one) seems to work fine.

Moira O'Brien LIPF

Jan 16, 2011, 7:53:30 AM1/16/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
No Anthony, getting stuck is a common occurrence when doing anything other than accessing ML menus, changing ISO. Aperture, Shutter Speed or actually filming or replaying.  Any other action tends to hang the camera when returning to live view.

Moira

AJ

Moira O'Brien LIPF

Jan 16, 2011, 7:55:38 AM1/16/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
On another matter Anthony, I noticed an email re audio not playing back.  I looked at the past messages and see that Trammel claimed to have cured this in 0.1.6, but my audio has never, and is still not, working in playback in-camera.

How is this working for you with your current builds?

Moira

Alex

Jan 16, 2011, 8:02:54 AM1/16/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
On the 550D, Deti fixed the audio playback issue with this patch:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/changeset/ae555a0ee358

Moira O'Brien LIPF

Jan 16, 2011, 8:28:30 AM1/16/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that Alex, but not being a techie, how do I apply this patch to ML?

Moira

Alex

Jan 16, 2011, 8:38:06 AM1/16/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
As far as I know, only Antony and Trammell are the developers who work
on the 5D2.

I can compile ML for 5D2 and apply patches, but I'm not able to test
it, so the chances of breaking something are high.

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Moira O'Brien LIPF

Antony Newman

Jan 16, 2011, 8:49:09 AM1/16/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

I have Not seen a coding error the ML code that I'm rewriting - although it is possible that using 'C' to draw the ML audio meters was 'too fast'.

[Note: rewriting the audio meters because (i) ML have a slighltly different coordinate system to mine and (ii) I separate screen update into draw-after-a-screen-clear and draw-update (for speed), and (iii) I am likely to write an accelerated horizontal line drawing in pure asm ('twill be used by both this and the horizontal histogram). ]

Moria,

I have not applied any patches to my ML environment since I took the 2.0.4 compatible version.
As my icons use ML fonts (for the numbers), I have however taken the latest 'proportional' fonts.

The ML audio splits into two components:  (1) Collecting/Processing the audio data, and (2) displaying it.

Right now I working on the (2), and keeping ML's existing audio processing.

AJ

Antony Newman

Jan 16, 2011, 9:45:49 AM1/16/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

Thanks for a link to the patch.   At some point I will look at how the code repository works.

Clicking on audio.c in the repository this jumped out at me:

static uint8_t
db_peak_to_color(
int db
)
{
if( db < -35 )
return 0x7f; // dark blue
if( db < -20 )
return 0x7f; // dark blue
if( db < -15 )
return 0xAE; // bright yellow
return 0x08; // bright red
}

It's not bug per se - but there is an option there for greater granularity of displayed colour.

AJ

Antony Newman

Jan 16, 2011, 4:37:51 PM1/16/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Here's and update video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-NWOwp9jbk

What I'd like to do next is make sure that the other information that we need is displayed on the screen (at the bottom).
If there were selectable 'Sets' of information - what information would be most useful?

AJ

JaKoB

Jan 17, 2011, 12:15:14 PM1/17/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
looking forward to the 5d2 ML update..

Antony Newman

Jan 18, 2011, 6:50:25 PM1/18/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Here's another update ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbVSKYGOD38

(strange strange Youtube number ... nothing todo with me!)

AJ

JaKoB

Jan 18, 2011, 6:56:33 PM1/18/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
!drool!

James Donnelly

Jan 18, 2011, 7:03:41 PM1/18/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I disagree AJ, I think you should hence forth be known by your official SKYGOD moniker.

The interface looks very polished compared to ML as it is now.  I like the use of colours, and the arrangement looks well thought out.

Antony Newman

Jan 19, 2011, 8:01:39 AM1/19/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

I next get a chance to work on this Thursday or Friday (I'm at an internet cafe at the moment).

I had very quick look at ML code to persist menu data::

The following line of code is ambiguos (for me) - as unsigned may compile to either 16 or 32 bits (my 'C' knowledge is not very good in this area).

(config.h)
#define CONFIG_INT( NAME, VAR, VALUE ) \
_CONFIG_VAR( NAME, 0, unsigned, VAR, VALUE )

and
(config.c)

if( var->type == 0 )
{
*(unsigned*) var->value = atoi( cfg->value );
} else {
*(char **) var->value = cfg->value;
}

Not sure yet if  I will either be adding my own data type (Unsigned int) or may change the existing type to be 'unsigned int'.

My preference is to change the existing type .. you may be interested in doing the same (main benfit, you'll be able to store memory addresses with worry if they get trunctated).

If there are any other 'unsigned' types in the ML code ... it would be wise to understand if they are writing int DryOs memory, as the Dryos uses a mixture of 8,16,and 32 bits numbers.  Internally (ie in ML), I woud recommend use of 32 bits as much as possible (its faster).

The only expection would be if you are packing your variables to avoid use of Stack to pass them between procedures (which I am guiltly of for most of my asm library).

AJ

On 10 January 2011 08:29, Alex <broscu...@gmail.com> wrote:
AJ,

> ML persisting of data into config [investigate and utilise - should be easy]

CONFIG_INT("var.name", var_name, 5) // setting name from magic.cfg, C var name, default value

Only works with unsigned (16bit maybe) and strings. That's it.

Alex

Jan 19, 2011, 8:43:59 AM1/19/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
This section definitely needs a bit of cleanup. I'd replace the data
type with int32_t. My guess is that unsigned is there because
Trammell's reimplemementation of atoi (which is used when reading
config file) does not handle signed numbers.

By replacing blindly unsigned with int32_t it didn't work (it seems to
break the audio module). Also, I have some ugly hacks for qscale
because of this.

Antony Newman

Jan 19, 2011, 12:50:47 PM1/19/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

I'm not that familiar with ML types.

I was going to suggest 'unsigned int' (this being what I use everywhere = native ARM type that I use everywhere).

If the ML atio doesn't handle  32 bit numbers .. I think we can called the DryOs function instead (from the top of my memory).

If the anyone needs 'signed ints' .. it might be easier to do the conversion after getting the data (or maybe introducing a new type?).

Eg: The ML code uses  -ve numbers to store / calculate Db.   All my audio routines use +ve numbers and only switch to -ve in the 11th our (to display to the user).

AJ

Antony Newman

Jan 19, 2011, 9:17:05 PM1/19/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
=== THE ATTACHED FIRMWARE IS FOR  5D2  AT  VERSION 2.0.4 ===

=== DO NOT USE IF YOUR CAMERA IS NOT AT THIS VERSION ===

It occurred to me that the ideal time to distribute an Alpha version of the code was before it updates any ML configuration data.

All the good warnings apply to this firmware that everyone else has put in their previous emails.

This really is Alpha code ... and with around 10,000 new lines of code that are not in your existing Magic Lantern, many more chances of Major Calamity or Captain C*ckup to take aim at your precious equipment.

Have fun!

AJ

PS: Yes I know I haven't given any instructions (the less you know how to do, the less chance you'll break it!)

magiclantern.fir

JaKoB

Jan 19, 2011, 11:19:17 PM1/19/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
YAHOO!

JaKoB

Jan 19, 2011, 11:24:17 PM1/19/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
bah 2.0.4 =( i got 2.0.8
>  magiclantern.fir
> 162KViewDownload

Ba...@aol.com

Jan 20, 2011, 12:15:23 AM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I reversed my 2.08 to 2.04.    Tried AJ's new firmware.    Managed to get it running,  but after shutting down,  could not get a restart with the card in.    Had to take card out,   start camera without card,   and could never get restarted again.

I was able to play with the features a bit,  and while buggy,   there are some cool things about this version.

AJ,  for testing,   how are you setting up the card initially.   Are you getting clean restarts ?

Chris Barcellos

JaKoB

Jan 20, 2011, 12:28:23 AM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
how you reversed 2.0.8 to 2.0.4

Ba...@aol.com

Jan 20, 2011, 12:37:55 AM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I have the old version of 2.04.   I  loaded on a CF card and then went through normal upgrade process,  and selected the 2.04 firmware.   It retrograded it.  Let me know if you need the 2.04 version firmware.

I know some had said they could not do that,  but I have done it a couple of times now.

What is giving me a problem is trying to use the write MBR and the save config menu choices.   Once I do that,   the card won't reboot.    Trying to recall if I am supposed to do prep to this card like we do on the T2i, now.   I haven't prepared a magic lantern card for the 5D in a while, and I am not clear on how to handle that.

If I don't write a MBR I can still use the upgrade method to start AJ's ML version.

In a message dated 1/19/2011 9:28:32 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, jako...@gmail.com writes:
how you reversed 2.0.8 to 2.0.4

JaKoB

Jan 20, 2011, 2:22:17 AM1/20/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Please do I love to try this out

On Jan 19, 11:37 pm, Ba...@aol.com wrote:
> I have the old version of 2.04.   I  loaded on a CF card and  then went
> through normal upgrade process,  and selected the 2.04  firmware.   It
> retrograded it.  Let me know if you need the 2.04  version firmware.
>
> I know some had said they could not do that,  but I have done it a  couple
> of times now.
>
> What is giving me a problem is trying to use the write MBR and the save
> config menu choices.   Once I do that,   the card won't  reboot.    Trying to
> recall if I am supposed to do prep to this  card like we do on the T2i, now.
>   I haven't prepared a magic lantern  card for the 5D in a while, and I am
> not clear on how to handle that.
>
> If I don't write a MBR I can still use the upgrade method to start AJ's ML
> version.
>
> In a message dated 1/19/2011 9:28:32 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
>
> jakob...@gmail.com writes:
>
> how  you reversed 2.0.8 to 2.0.4
> --
> _http://magiclantern.wikia.com/_(http://magiclantern.wikia.com/)
>
> To  post to this group, send email to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
> For  more options, visit this group at
> _http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel?hl=en_(http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel?hl=en)

Antony Newman

Jan 20, 2011, 4:31:28 AM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

It may well be that a full reformat of the CF is required if it was on 2.0.8  (not sure, I've never upgraded to 2.0.8).

I've just tried the following:

1) Put in CF into a CF reader on a Mac
2) Disk utility -> Erase -> MD-DOS (FAT)
3) Put blank CF into Camera -> Format it
4) Copied the files that I have attached to this email
5) CF into 5D -> Upload firmware.

Which results in it booting into ML without an issue.

(If there are still differences at this point, it may be that the 2.0.8 firmwares Camera settings need to be reset... I hope not!)

Regards,
AJ.

Files on CF.zip

JaKoB

Jan 20, 2011, 8:35:42 AM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
amazing! i love it!
I rolled back to 2.0.8 to 2.0.4 just fine and put in the ML files
cant wait for Ext monitor fix! =)

Antony Newman

Jan 20, 2011, 10:24:00 AM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
JaKoB.

Glad you like it.

Ext montor fix ... Sounds familiar.

For me to see what's happening:

1) Select AJ->full screen cropmarks
2) Take a picture using another camera of the external monitor
3) For good measure Select AJ->Screendump
4) Please do for both Recording & not Recording.

------------------

I am:
I) Expecting that Cropmarks should auto-scale when the screen mode changes (it may tweaking for when the monitor initially connected by HD_HDMI and recording is pressed).
2) Expecting that in LiveView (ie Not recording) that the zebras x position from the left of the screen multiplied by two (and want to confirm).
3) The 'instruments' on the 'dashboad' to get a bit confused (as I've been fine turning them for an overlay of 720pixels wide)

AJ

JaKoB

Jan 20, 2011, 10:52:31 AM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
what files do i need to send you from the 5d

Antony Newman

Jan 20, 2011, 11:41:19 AM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
JaKoB,

For me to see what's happening:

1) Select the ML menu -> select tab AJ -> Go to cropmarks -> check its 'full screen' cropmarks (it should already be)
2) Take a picture using another camera of the external monitor.  [Attach image to email]
3) Select the ML menu -> select tab AJ ->Screendump.   Open 5d2 CompactFlash.  look for a file called 'TEST.BMP'  [Attach image to email]
4) Please repeat steps (1) - (3) all for both when you re Recording & not Recording a movie.

Thanks.
AJ

JaKoB

Jan 20, 2011, 11:49:29 AM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
ok sent 2 emails
hope that helps

Ba...@aol.com

Jan 20, 2011, 12:16:28 PM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

Hi Antony:

Yes, the rotation thing, was not sure how that was to be controlled.

Another time I had a black screen show up,  that I couldn't pull out of.

Presently though,   I love what you have done.   The false colors,  while I haven't tested it for exposure accuracy against my Marshall,  is a great feature,   and will serve the camera well.

I am having issues getting my cards to boot for some reason.    So here is what I am doing.

1.   Took a card I had successfully you to boot from with the 2.08 ML version that Trammel  had set up.   I reformatted.   (I am on a PC).

2.   Put it in camera,  and reformatted again.

3.   Took it back to PC loaded the latest files you sent in root.

4.   Took it back to camera, started camera,  loaded firmware update to your ML version.   Everything works fine.   Shut it down,  restarted,  and I have to reload ML, as I expected would happen.

5.   I then be sure autoboot is set on and execute a write mbr.

6.   Exit all screens,  and shut down the camera.  I pull battery.

7.   I restart camera.   It goes throught Magic Lantern screen set up as I would expect in autoboot.  But meters open at top of camera,  while some of you screen is written below.  A false color image is on screen.

I am attaching photo of what that looks like.

As long as I don't write the MBR,  I can use the chip and restart ML from the card manually,  and it works like a dream.   And I can save config file.   Problem for me seems to be in writing MBR.

Again,   thanks for this amazing new  look for Magic Lantern.  Screen really look fantastic and features are amazing.

Chris

IMG_1311.JPG

Antony Newman

Jan 20, 2011, 12:27:48 PM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

Thankyou for the testing feedback (with no instructions).  The screenshot you send me looks the way the interface did a few weeks ago!

I've attached an image of what I was expecting to see.

I may need to delete all the 'object's, and rebuild everything!

AJ.

Photo on 2011-01-20 at 13.18.jpg

Ba...@aol.com

Jan 20, 2011, 1:03:28 PM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
AJ:

As long as I don't want to boot up it up with ML running,  I get clean program.   I note I do have to cycle the info button so Canon's screen writing is not interfering with your readouts.

Having to start ML each start up, isn't necessarily the end of the world, as long as configurations can be saved.   In fact,  on occasion, when I have had only ML cards to shoot with,  I found myself wishing I could start the camera in standard mode.

Attached is picture of what my screen looks like before I try to write to mbr and restart in boot up mode.  Seems clean and sweet to me.

I have long had a suspicion that the information management of the battery chip  can sometimes come into play on creating bugs on ML.  In going through these tests I have had occasions where I got nothing out of camera after trying to boot,  then changed to another battery,  and it would start up.   This summer I had similar experience where I was shooting a film,  and  ML started acting crazy while I was using the Canon ac adapter.  It was hot, so it could have been that, but when I went to a battery,  it smoothed out.

Chris

IMG_1312.JPG

Antony Newman

Jan 20, 2011, 2:28:39 PM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
/// Repeated msg - g.groups says my last message was too large //

JaKob,

Thankyou for sending me 1 x Picture of the Monitor, and 1 x screendump.

(I attached both into the email chain).

1) I am guessing this was in LiveView (ie Not recording).
    I have not catered for HD_HDMI screens in HD (1080p) resolution in my build currently.
    When you press record - the camera doen't stay in HD.
    I will return to this - but only after I have a HD monitor to test this on.
    (Note this effects the zebras)

2) My intention is to replace all of the Canon overlay icons with my own.
    The only exceptions are
     +) The  "Your card is too slow ... recording about to stop" icon 'bars'
     +) The Canon ISO choosing overlay

3) In the 'screendump' this is DryOs dump of what is in the Overlay.
    According to this there is information being thrown away from the 'Overlay data'.
    +) This may be your monitors software or this may be the Dryos.
    My guess is that it is your monitors software.

Regards,
AJ
IMG_0020.JPG
TEST.jpg

Antony Newman

Jan 20, 2011, 2:44:44 PM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

Before I answer the questions ...

Here is a 'fully' rebuilt version of the firmware.

I am expecting this provide a clean shutdown.

AJ

AJ .zip

Antony Newman

Jan 20, 2011, 3:19:15 PM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Known issues
===========
+) ML config can be saved ... but there is are not 'AJ' menu related variables saved (I'll work on this over the next week)
+) Autoboot.  Not tested.  (there are 'makefile' changes relating to this in Alex's bitbucket that I have not looked at yet).
+) The Magnified overlay currently clashes with the 'dashboard'.  I don't know if its more important to see the Dashboard - or if we want to move the magnification circle clear of the dashboard, or if we should cut the bottom off (cut-off  I think may be an useful option).
+) I have only recently been introduced to DryOs 'Properties' that alert you as to when things changed (like use pressing the canon 'Menu' / Canon 'Info' Button).  I will be adding 'Property' triggers at a later point to ensure the screen is cleared after these have been used.
+) False colours may need 'callibrating'.  I have a lookup table for each of the 256 levels that I've guessed by analysing the Marshal webstie, and guessing the correlation between the canon 0..255 and the 'IRE' from Marshall.
+) HD_HDMI when not recording.  I have not looked at this - but I can (needs a HD-HDMI monitor to test with)

Keys - to Control the Magnification overlay
================================
+) Half press of 'Take photo button', or 'Magnify -' button  -> Cycle magnification overlay between, small, large, full screen.
+) Trashcan -> Magnification overlay off / on (also clears screen)
+) Play ( It's used by Canon when in Liveview (non-recording) mode) ->  This key is also rotates the position of the overlay icon around the usable screen (right up the edges of the blank bars in HDMI modes)
+) Rotate lens -> Trigger Overlay (is enabled).   This will deactivate after N seconds (if setup), unless a you try and move the position of the over / changes its size.
+) Joystick: Up/down/Right/Left (of combinations) -> move the origin of the magnified area around. (this position should take into account screen resolution changes - keeping it centred)

Temperature warnings
=================
+) Beamed to you through the 'Magnification' icon.
+) Takes into account temps between '150 -> 192' (whatever scale they are).  2 levels of 'slowdown' (this effects the framerate of the screen updates).

Keys - to Control Vector Cropmarks
===========================
+) When cropmarks are flashing on the AJ menu -> use the Joystick to move the cropmarks (top-left or bottom right) corner around
+) Use Canon 'Magnify -' button to switch between top left and bottom right button.

ISO / SHUTTER ICON
=================
+) Changes colours if you've chosen a setting that is not good for 24p (Shutter), or doesn't give optimal signal to noise ratio (ISO).

I have missed a few - but this is most of them!

AJ

Antony Newman

Jan 20, 2011, 3:51:30 PM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

Thankyou for your instructions on how to force-run the firmware.

+) I'm hoping that the clean build will mean the camera shuts down cleanly.  If there is still a MBR/ autoboot issue, I'll keep that on my 'post-it note farm' and solve it in due course.

+) Black screen.  Could you let me know if you hit this after the clean build.

+) "I have long had a suspicion that the information management of the battery chip  can sometimes come into play on creating bugs on ML."
The existing ML function interferes with the 'are you a chipped chinese battery' logic (I believe).
I have scaled the 'batterry report' very very rougly according to my own batteries giving a 0..99 number on screen (along with power segments).
If required - this coudl be enhanced to scale for other batteris.

+) Canon overheat:  You may find that popping the battery out and also the CF helps the camera down faster.  I think that if the base of the camera is put on a heatsink - it will not overheat as quickly.   I will be adding another piece of 'accelerated' assembler code (line drawing) that should mean the CPU time for updating the Audio meters & Histogram is reduced which should in turn mean higher frame rates, or a cooler camera.

"Again,   thanks for this amazing new  look for Magic Lantern.  Screen really look fantastic and features are amazing."

Praise indeed!

Thanks,
AJ

Ba...@aol.com

Jan 20, 2011, 4:23:05 PM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
AJ:

Just got back in office,  and downloaded new version.

Your recent upload .seems to have done the trick.   Loaded up,   save MBR.  Shut down,   and then tried to restart again.   Initially, had to pop the battery.  Started back up,  and your ML version ran.   Had issue with mthe magnification screens,   the were showing only a pattern,  no  image.     I shut down,  and restarted,  seems to be working fine.    Will continue to work a bit with it through the evening.

Many thanks..

Chris.

Ba...@aol.com

Jan 20, 2011, 4:45:54 PM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
AJ:

Follow up.

Not sure what this all means.   Here's the battery thing again.    I have a Canon Battery,  and a  Chinese knock off, that also appears to be chipped as it reports actual battery level in camera and charges on the Canon charger.

At any rate,   I switched to it,  started up booting to your new version of ML,  and it booted up  alright.   But when I turned on the magnifier area,  again,  just a pattern where the magnified portion of the image should be.   Cycling through the magnifier did not change it.  I tried depressing shutter, still showing.  So I shut down camera,  and restarted.    Turned magnifier back on,  and it works fine,  showing an image.

I switched back to the Canon battery.   Same thing occurred.   Went through exactly same process.   Turning the camera off and on after that,  there seemed to be no problem.

The I switched back to off brand battery,  same result on first start... magnified area only has a pattern showing.

I ended up cycling batteries back and forth like this 10 times, and it didn't happen every time.   When it does,  restarting fixes it.

I will report other issues as I find them.

Chris

In a message dated 1/20/2011 12:51:38 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, antony...@gmail.com writes:
Chris,

AJ

Antony Newman

Jan 20, 2011, 6:00:48 PM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

Thankyou for the analysis.

1) Could you use the AJ->Screendump option (it counts 100 frames then dumps the overlay image) to a .bmp file -> send this to me.

2) Could you see you switch Live view off on clears the problem.

FYI: There is a structure somewhere inside the Canon DryOs memory that has points to where the area of memory that that its reserved for the High-def vram (that the magnifier reads from).   If a canon (or ML) task uses this memory in a different order - then the location that the dryos uses is shifted.    I spent a lot of time searching for the vram segment, but have not searched for this 'allocation structure'.   Once found - the magnifier would not be effected by the allocation / reallocation of memory.

Thanks,
AJ.

Antony Newman

Jan 20, 2011, 6:10:00 PM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Just searched for 'battery' in ML code.

All the references I found to it are commented out ... ie there is no special ML processing of batteries (other than my own use of Canon Battery Reports) - which only get called when the DryOs 'broadcasts' a change.

AJ

Moira O'Brien LIPF

Jan 20, 2011, 6:25:39 PM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Having finished the paid work for the moment, I am able to start testing.  Sorry if I am duplicating things already reported:
  1. With magnification on, setting x5 enlarges the magnification to x5 in the focus circle but x10 doesn't change it to x10
  2. Pressing the play button when in x5 or x10 causes erratic behaviour from corrupted focus circle to blank screen
  3. For someone of my age (rising 66) the font on the AJ menu is just too small.
  4. Autoboot not working but manual updating is fine.
  5. Cannon battery meter went to 3 while AJ still shows 4
  6. I thought we could choose either the enhanced histogram or the standard one - I am finding the new one hard to read (maybe because I am so used to the standard one)
  7. I miss the focus distance on screen display from Trammel's ML.  It gives confirmation to visual off camera distance.
  8. False colour appears to be pretty accurate
  9. I have autofocus assigned to the middle star button.  When pressing this with focus circle displayed, the area outside the focus circle goes funny
  10. External monitor only works when it is already attached and active before ML loaded.
  11. External monitor not displaying the focus circle correctly - goes of the screen right
  12. External screen gets corrupted after about about half a second when switching on live view with blue lines vertical left and horizontal upper part of screen (this seems to be when the meters etc are displayed)
  13. Focus assist peaking seems to work more or less as well or badly as the previous ML (and the Marshal monitor if truth be told).
  14. I enable autoboot and wrote MBR but this has no effect.
  15. I am unclear as to the function of the third and fourth icons on AJ menu.
I think that's enough for now :).

Brilliant work AJ - I am going to love this.

Moira

Moira O'Brien LIPF
Tel: +353 (0)766-153852 | Mob: +353 (0)876-214532 | eFax: +44 (0)1892 800020

Alex

Jan 20, 2011, 6:31:38 PM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
AJ, did you post any video with focus peaking / edge detection? I'd
like to see your implementation.

False color is very nice, and also triggering the "loupe" by rotating
the focus ring :D

Antony Newman

Jan 20, 2011, 6:37:22 PM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Alex.  Do you have a 5d??

JaKoB

Jan 20, 2011, 6:55:12 PM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
audio playback is not working when reviewing videos on the 5D
 I know Alex fix this on the canon T2i i just dont know how..

Antony Newman

Jan 20, 2011, 6:57:50 PM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Moira,

Thankyou for your extensive testing.

I'll be working my way through the first wave of comments.

Quick answers before midnight hits me.

The two icons on the info screen on the bottom left were:

1) Histogram Off / Histogram on + Log scale / Histogram on + linear scale.
2) The bottom left icon (two circles) just indicates if the 'Magnify icon' is off or on.

I will answer your other questions ... circa 24 hours (I've need to keep up with Indy and Study a bit of Spanish before I crash out, and get back home circa 11pm Friday).

AJ

Antony Newman

Jan 20, 2011, 7:03:04 PM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
JaKoB,

I think Alex mentioned that Deti had found and patched this.

I tried to 'find the bits that made the patch' and throw them into the 5D build.
I am not sure if the 5d worked without the patch (in which case I'll need to revert), or I didn't correctly work out the lines of code that correspond to the patch.

I have not checked the audio side of things yet.

AJ

Ba...@aol.com

Jan 20, 2011, 7:41:52 PM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Feeling a bit dumb... but the problems is not recurring this afternoon.     Hmmm.   If it repeats,  will send screen dump as requested.

Shooting in  bright sunlight today.   False colors and focus magnification working great.     Like Moira,  I am 60 age range,  but using my inexpensive Ebay bought loupe and the focus magnification,  I avoid wearing my readers that I normally need with the loupe,  and   everything is great.

Chris

In a message dated 1/20/2011 3:00:57 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, antony...@gmail.com writes:
Chris,

Ba...@aol.com

Jan 20, 2011, 10:45:14 PM1/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Got one.   This occurred when I shot some frames on a non- Magic Lantern card.  Then I change to the Magic Lantern card,   and this came up.

It does not clear with live view cycling.    Clears by shut down and restart.
TESTfromCBarcellos.BMP

Moira O'Brien LIPF

Jan 21, 2011, 1:06:48 PM1/21/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I just noticed the change in colour of the ISO reading when it hits the natural ISO's - nice one Anthony.

I am noticing very fast battery drain with the current build.

Moira

Moira O'Brien LIPF

Jan 22, 2011, 6:22:52 AM1/22/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello Anthony

If the green bars on the far right info display are battery state then it is not working.  I am getting 4 bars with number 99 under while Canon menu is reporting 22% - sorry, 18% - it has gone down 4% in the time it has taken to write this email.  Hmmm.

I just checked the battery info again (17%) and then the CMOS temp (172), half pressed the shutter release and the screen blanked.  Top buttons are working and AF start on star button is working but all other buttons are frozen. Battery out and replaced - now battery 13% and too low to load ML :(.  New battery loaded.

A very minor point - the circle indicating the position of the focus circle is not registering correctly.  It takes 36 clicks to move the small cirlcle from bottom to top of screen, but the indicative display only has 16 positions. 54 and 13 are the horizontal equivalents.  (New battery now 79%).

I was wondering if you have any contact with Trammel?  I know that he doesn't have the time to devote to ML but he did do a huge amount of work.  The reason for asking is that he claimed to have fixed the on camera audio play problem, but I have never seen this working.  It would be good to get this into the current build.

I don't know if it would help stability if the still and movie functions were kept in separate ML builds
, or will this just make it more difficult for you as the developer.

Moira

Antony Newman

Jan 22, 2011, 6:16:08 PM1/22/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to those that have were testing the code.  I'll try and summarise what has been found / with a few comments.

============
[Bug 1] Chris: "I note I do have to cycle the info button so Canon's screen writing is not interfering with your readouts"
-> AJ: I have not 'trapped' the canon menu, I will have to determine when the menu appears/disappears and clear the screen afterwards.

[Bug 2] Chris: Autoboot (MBR) does not (always) work.
-> AJ: I've just tried this for the 1st time on my camera. Clicked on ML->Boot->Write MBR.  Boot->Autoboot->ON.
-> Switched camera off -> back on -> ML boots.
-> Switched camera off -> took CF out -> put it back in -> switched camera on -> ML boots
-> Switched camera off -> took Battery out -> Battery in -> took
CF out -> put CF back in -> switched camera on -> ML boots
-> I'll leave this bug open.

[Bug 3] Chris: "magnification screens,   the were showing only a pattern,  no  image."
-> AJ Agreed.  I have hardcoded the address where I 'found' the data for the magnification screens.
-> I have a piece of investigation to reverse engineer the DryOs to locate which structure has the base address, and use this.
-> It may take some time to track this down.

[Bug 4] Chris:
"Chinese knock off" batteries effecting the Magnification screens.
-> AJ I'll keep this open until BUG3 is fixed. (I'm expecting that bug to solution to solve this issue)

==========

[Bug 5] Jakob: External Monitor does not display correctly.
-> AJ: Agreed. Enhancement required.

==========
[---] Moira: "With magnification on, setting x5 enlarges the magnification to x5 in the focus circle but x10 doesn't change it to x10"
-> AJ: Not a bug.  The Focus Circle / Magnifications screen is only a window into the Canon High definition data.

[---] Moira: "Pressing the play button when in x5 or x10 causes erratic behaviour from corrupted focus circle to blank screen"
-> AJ: see Bug 3

[---] Moira: "For someone of my age (rising 66) the font on the AJ menu is just too small."
-> AJ: I am using the 'small' fort for the battery indicator, and the Large fort for the ISO, Shutter, Aperture.
-> I'll keep this open for now.

[---] Moira: Autoboot not working but manual updating is fine.
-> AJ: see Bug 2

[Bug 6] Moira: "Cannon battery meter went to 3 while AJ still shows 4|
-> AJ: There are two issues I think,  (i) I have not callibrated the scale, and (ii) I don't think my code is getting notified what the latest level is all the time.
-> (it is notified when the Canon Report is called).
-> I'll revisit this.

[Bug 7] Moira: "I thought we could choose either the enhanced histogram or the standard one - I am finding the new one hard to read (maybe because I am so used to the standard one)"
-> AJ: I will put this down as an enhancement.   I will create a horizontal version.

[Bug 8] Moira: "I miss the focus distance on screen display from Trammel's ML.  It gives confirmation to visual off camera distance.|
-> AJ: Miss them no more - I have used the biggest font / best contrast ratio .. and put this information in the remaining space on the dashboard.
-> Closed.

[---] Moira: "I have autofocus assigned to the middle star button.  When pressing this with focus circle displayed, the area outside the focus circle goes funny"
-> AJ: I don't know how to assign buttons on the 5d.  If this is not solved when Bug 3 is solved, I'll revisit

[Bug 9] Moira: "External monitor only works when it is already attached and active before ML loaded."
-> AJ: I don't have an external monitor.  Have I broken functionality that worked in the 5D2 Magic Lantern?
-> I think Deti has fixed a similar problem.  I don't know at this stage what that fix was, but I will revisit this Enhancement (or Bug if this already worked in ML)

[---] Moira: "External monitor not displaying the focus circle correctly - goes of the screen right"
-> AJ: I don't have an external monitor.  Have I broken functionality that worked in the 5D2 Magic Lantern?
-> I will revisit this Enhancement (or Bug if this already worked in ML).  I'll have to get an HD external monitor first.

[Bug 10] Moira: "External screen gets corrupted after about about half a second when switching on live view with blue lines vertical left and horizontal upper part of screen (this seems to be when the meters etc are displayed)"
-> AJ: The information that is currently used, takes some time to work out exactly what resolution the DryOs thinks the screen is at.
-> I will be investigating how to tap into the Canon 'property's at a later point to get this information sooner.

[---] Moira:  Focus assist peaking seems to work more or less as well or badly as the previous ML (and the Marshal monitor if truth be told).
-> AJ: If by false colours looks the way they do on Marshal Monitors ... that is from where I have copied them.

[Bug 10]  "I enable autoboot and wrote MBR but this has no effect."
-> AJ: See Bug 2.

[---]  I am unclear as to the function of the third and fourth icons on AJ menu.
-> AJ: Separate email send.  3rd=Histogram, 4th=Any Overlay on screen (this is more or a debug feedback for me - as it will be clearly evident on the screen... hopefully!).

[Bug 11] Jacob "Audio Playback" not working.
-> AJ: Noted:  I will be investigating this in due course.

[---] Chris: "Got one.   This occurred when I shot some frames on a non- Magic Lantern card.  Then I change to the Magic Lantern card, "
-> AJ I'll keep this open until I resolve 'Bug3', and see if the problem still occurs.

[Bug 12]: Moira: "
noticing very fast battery drain with the current build"
-> AJ: I think the issues is the DIGIC chips is very power efficient at doing complex graphical tasks.
-> The ARM chip is very powerful, but that strength is also a problem .. is also a pain for us.
-> I've have 'opened up' the default ML audio task and recoded (runs half as frequently, no longer using 'divides')
-> I've introduced configurable sleeps into both the AJ and Audio tasks to allow you to 'go turbo' if you wish.
-> There are currently two areas that I can further optimise (which will help the battery power go further).
-> I will revisit these at a future point.

[Bug 13]: Moira: DryOs Zoom Rectangle in Liveview "indicative display only has 16 positions. 54 and 13 are the horizontal equivalents."
-> AJ: This rectangle is part of the Canon 'zoom' rectangle.  I don't know how to disable it, and at this stage was going to leave it alone.

[---]: Moira; "stability if the still and movie functions were kept in separate ML builds"
-> AJ: My task is geared towards Movie making.  It is possible for me to add a  'very-long-sleep' for both the AJ and Audio tasks - but this may not solve the stability issues you are facing.
-> I only intend to progress code which is movie related.  When I take pictures, I don't load ML.

Let me know if I've missed any.

I'll release another AJ build (with the Focus distance, lower power options on Sunday)

AJ

JaKoB

Jan 22, 2011, 6:52:12 PM1/22/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
some how im not seeing red zebras it was working great and now thyu are gone i can see the blue zebras

thank you MR AJ =)

Moira O'Brien LIPF

Jan 23, 2011, 5:03:22 PM1/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
A few more observations following up on previous emails.

[Bug 10] This is connected with Zebras.  When switching zebras off, the corruption disappears. See screen shot.

[Bug 12] I did a test on the battery usage. It took one hour to go from 69% down to 7% - this doesn't seem as bad as previously but then I was not doing anything during this time except displaying live view with false colour.  The camera was still all this time.  Yesterday I was noticing very rapid drain when I was testing out the various functions.

[New bug] I lost the ability to switch off the focus assist circle.  I have no idea what situation prompted this error and I haven't yet been able to reproduce it.  Switching off and removing the battery corrected it.

[Bug 2] MBR problem - Set to autoboot and wrote MBR - switched off and removed battery, reinserted - camera would not power up, totally blank.  Changed battery, no effect. Put non ML card in, booted on second attempt. :( Phew!!!!.

Moira

Antony Newman

Jan 23, 2011, 5:41:23 PM1/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I attach my third build.

What's been added / Fixed:
+) Focus distance on Dashboard
+) 2nd attempt at battery calibration (based on the Canon Battery report with '%'. I haven't set the battery 'segments' at correct % points yet )
+) Power throttling (winding down power) to AJ and Audio task (Sleep time adjustable)
+) Change AJ task default sleep time to longer (better batter life)
+) Rewrite existing ML audio task (its runs about 5 times faster, and only half as frequently - no expecting much change, but it may use less power)
+) Rewritten audio update and decay algorithm (to take into account running half as frequently)
+) Applied Deti's sound patch (found on Alex's source site), and many of the Audio.c changes. (NOT working)
+) Some but not all the AJ task data is persisted (I have not peristed the Cropmarks data)
+) Fixed the ML code's ability to store 32 bit unsigned information (it only used to cope with 16).
+) Moved some of the options to the config file.
+) For LCD display, the bottom of the magnification circles has now been 'lopped off' to avoid overwriting the Dashboard
+) When Movie Record is pressed, I used the last time that the DryOs update the screen to trigger a ClearScreen
+) When Canon Info button is pressed, the screen is cleared

Not Fixed
+) It is possible to confuse get the Trashcan button not working
+) The Magnification circles can be confused (I think what is happening is the DryOs switches to the Shadow screen).
+) Persisting of Vector Cropmarks
+) Audio in Playback.  I think it cuts out after 1 second. (not had time to investigate this).

AJ
2011_01_23 AJ Build 3.zip

Ba...@aol.com

Jan 23, 2011, 6:59:22 PM1/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Tested out new build.

Notes:

1.   Had close focus circle freeze with a pattern image.    Then restarted,   and had focus circle for a short period.   Then a frozen image of the carpet I had pointed camera down to.    Restarted,   and worked fine.

2.   Would love selectable  cropmark capability,  particularly 2.35 aspect solid as in attached.

During testing of trash and Had event where

--
cropmarks1.bmp

Antony Newman

Jan 23, 2011, 7:26:26 PM1/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

There is no limit to the number of Cropmarks ... what is missing it the exercise of working out the exact pixel positions that you wish to use.
Build 1 & 2 have four 'dummy' cropmarks (selectable from the 'AJ' menu)

struct
{
   const char *name;
   unsigned int min_x;
   unsigned int max_x;
   unsigned int min_y;
   unsigned int max_y;
} g_crop_mark_type[] =
{
    {"Full Screen of Fun ",   0,  720,0,  425},
    {"Audio              ",   0,  720,33, 425},
    {"Audio trimmed      ",   30, 700,33, 425},
    {"Small Window stuff ",   100,600,100,400},
    {"FrEaKy - 'Far Side'",   133,333,133,233},
};

Option 1):  If you know the list of cropmarks and their name, I'll replace the list with this.

Option 2) Failing that - it is possible to go on the AJ menu, select a cropmark press select (changes it to Flashing red).  De-select menu, and move cropmarks to wherever you wish (used joy paddle to move the corner, use Canon-magnify-Minus to switch corners), then either read off the screen, or go back to the Vector Cropmark menu and read the coordinates / email them to me.

Option 1 & 2 are great for me (I can add as many cropmarks as you need)

Option 3) I'll have to analyse the bitmaps.  This will have to wait until I've completed bug-fixing.

AJ

JaKoB

Jan 23, 2011, 7:39:45 PM1/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
why would red Zebras not be working but blues seem to be working lol =( ?

Antony Newman

Jan 23, 2011, 7:42:09 PM1/23/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
JaKoB,

Could you put the lens cap on, and take a AJ->screendump.

Then send me file to me.

AJ
It is loading more messages.