5D Mark II - Merging AJ and Unified Magic Lantern versions

Alex

Nov 1, 2011, 1:37:27 PM11/1/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hi,

Following the small, but positive feedback from this thread [
http://bit.ly/ml-unified-5D2 ], I'm glad to announce the next
long-term direction of Magic Lantern: merging the AJ 5.x firmware with
the unified one currently running on smaller cameras.

I need your help. As explained in the previous post, a good port (one
suitable for paid jobs) requires me having a camera for testing. On
550D/60D ports, crashes are almost non-existent, audio meters are
calibrated, HDMI monitors are fully usable and so on.

So, if you like this idea, you may help me buy a 5D2 by:

- a small donation (you don't need a PayPal account for this):
http://goo.gl/gvD8Q
- or by spreading the word, since right now there are not many users
familiar with both ML versions

Feature-wise: I'd like to ask the users who have tried both AJ and
Unified ML (especially those using both versions in a regular fashion)
to comment on this. Main question: what's the best of both worlds?
What do you like better in AJ 5.x and what do you like better in
Unified?

Big thanks to all ML community for making it possible!
Alex

----------

P.S. Here's AJ's opinion:

> Alex,
>
> I think many 5d2 users would benefit the evolution of Magic Lantern that is
> growing in the unified tree.
>
> ie I think its a great idea!
>
> AJ

Alex

Nov 1, 2011, 1:59:10 PM11/1/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
P.S. If you use Twitter, you may spread the word with this link:

http://twitter.com/#!/autoexec_bin/status/131425737105342465

moebius event

Nov 2, 2011, 11:40:07 AM11/2/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Alex ever since I heard of your project I've been constantly posting
update news and features on my facebook...

> --
> http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

Alex

Nov 2, 2011, 1:42:50 PM11/2/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I'm happy to announce that I've already received more than 10% of a
5D2 in less than 24 hours :)
So we can expect to have a 5D2 unified port pretty soon.

You may watch the progress here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4124919/5D2-Thermometer.jpg

Many thanks for your support!

Rich

Nov 3, 2011, 12:34:11 AM11/3/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Dear Alex,
I went to the PayPal link to contribute, and it comes up for Romania.
Is that what it should do? Just checking before I donate. I am both
excited and thankful that you are moving to unify all of this
information and bringing the 5D2 back into the mainstream of
development. Go for it!
rich

On Nov 2, 12:42 pm, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm happy to announce that I've already received more than 10% of a
> 5D2 in less than 24 hours :)
> So we can expect to have a 5D2 unified port pretty soon.
>
> You may watch the progress here:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4124919/5D2-Thermometer.jpg
>
> Many thanks for your support!
>

> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 5:40 PM, moebius event <moebiusev...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Alex ever since I heard of your project I've been constantly posting
> > update news and features on my facebook...

> > --
> >http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

Alex

Nov 3, 2011, 2:14:06 AM11/3/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rich,

Yes, the link is correct, that's where I am from. Thanks a lot!

Peter Scharff

Nov 3, 2011, 3:47:14 AM11/3/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

I will be donating even though I have no 5d, its the least I can do for all the hard work and effort you have put in to producing ML as a whole, I suggest everybody who can do it, come on guys look at what Alex has given us he's made our cameras double the value in features..........

mart

Nov 3, 2011, 5:42:54 AM11/3/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
- a small donation (you don't need a PayPal account for this):
http://goo.gl/gvD8Q

Although, there is an option below: Create a PayPal account or LogIn...

So, if I have no account, should I create one ?

Sorry for that stupid question, but there is a country in Europe (where I from) which has no access to this system :)

James Donnelly

Nov 3, 2011, 8:09:03 AM11/3/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Ditto, lots of small donations will get Alex over the line, so come on folks.

I will probably never own a 5DII, but I think it's only fair Alex gets another nice new camera as a small reward for his monumental dedication and effort!

We are very lucky to have Alex, so all you 550d/600d owners, here's your chance to say thanks.

Alex

Nov 3, 2011, 4:19:56 PM11/3/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to everybody, now I almost have a quarter of a 5D2 (after only two days).

Actually the first person who donated for the 5D2 port was a 550D user.

If you can't use PayPal, you may also get me something from my Amazon wishlist: http://bit.ly/ml-wishlist-alex  (or you can suggest alternatives).

Thanks again!

Alex

Nov 4, 2011, 1:48:49 PM11/4/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
After 3 days I have 30% of a 5D2 :)

I will be offline during the weekend, so I won't be able to update the thermometer. Hope you don't mind.

Thanks again!

arm.indy

Nov 4, 2011, 3:31:07 PM11/4/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
hi Alex,

Is it possible to vote for an ML port on the new C300 ? ;-)
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1111/11110310canoneoscinema.asp
It is only ten times the price of model id 0x80000218.

maybe Canon already included features from ML...

Indy (happy with his 0x80000270)

On Nov 4, 6:48 pm, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> After 3 days I have 30% of a 5D2 :)
>
> I will be offline during the weekend, so I won't be able to update the
> thermometer. Hope you don't mind.
>
> Thanks again!
>

> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 10:19 PM, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks to everybody, now I almost have a quarter of a 5D2 (after only two
> > days).
>
> > Actually the first person who donated for the 5D2 port was a 550D user.
>
> > If you can't use PayPal, you may also get me something from my Amazon
> > wishlist:http://bit.ly/ml-wishlist-alex (or you can suggest
> > alternatives).
>
> > Thanks again!
>
> > On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 2:09 PM, James Donnelly <jamesjdonne...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Ditto, lots of small donations will get Alex over the line, so come on
> >> folks.
>
> >> I will probably never own a 5DII, but I think it's only fair Alex gets
> >> another nice new camera as a small reward for his monumental dedication and
> >> effort!
>
> >> We are very lucky to have Alex, so all you 550d/600d owners, here's your
> >> chance to say thanks.

Message has been deleted

arm.indy

Nov 4, 2011, 3:57:10 PM11/4/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
on C300:

- timelapse
"The EOS C300 can also be programmed to record a set number of frames
at defined intervals for amazing time-lapse photography - and a frame-
recording feature is perfect for stop-frame animation."

- focus assist
"The cameras have a Waveform Monitor (WFM) function that shows the
overall brightness of a scene, with RGB Parade Display to view red,
green and blue brightness or Spot Display to isolate the luminance
distribution of a chosen area. The Vectorscope (VS) display shows real-
time hue and saturation levels. For sharp focus, the EOS C300 camera
has two peaking modes and a magnified focus assist function. An Edge
Monitor Focus Assist provides both a waveform representing the overall
degree of focus and a red waveform that represents focus in three
specific areas displayed on the camera's 4" LCD monitor. To maintain
proper highlight exposure, it offers a zebra bar feature as well. It's
all in the camera."

On Nov 4, 8:31 pm, "arm.indy" <arm.indi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi Alex,
>
> Is it possible to vote for an ML port on the new C300 ? ;-)http://www.dpreview.com/news/1111/11110310canoneoscinema.asp

James Donnelly

Nov 4, 2011, 6:01:25 PM11/4/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
It comes with ML built in! And only 20K!  I'll take two!

TOM_M

Nov 5, 2011, 8:33:00 AM11/5/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
so am i right in thinking that as it has a "super 35" sensor, its a
smaller sensor than the 5d Mkii?

Ba...@aol.com

Nov 5, 2011, 2:06:35 PM11/5/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Yes,  its closer to APC in the T and D7 cameras.

In a message dated 11/5/2011 5:33:09 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, duop...@gmail.com writes:
so am i right in thinking that as it has a "super 35" sensor, its a
smaller sensor than the 5d Mkii?

Jordy Vandeput

Nov 6, 2011, 8:49:29 AM11/6/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Just wondering, are you going to port the AJ version to the unified,
or the current unified to 5D2?

D.K. McPherson

Nov 6, 2011, 10:39:50 AM11/6/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I read 1.6 crop for T2i and the 35 has a 1.3 crop compared to 5d.

Moira O'Brien LIPF

Nov 6, 2011, 2:37:56 PM11/6/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I will add my voice to this.  I love the AJ series and am not interested in still photo options which will just clutter up the menus unnecessarily.

If we can keep the menu style and functionality of the AJ version wiht being able to turn off the menus that are not relevant to video, I would support the project.

If not, then I will be looking for someone to carry on the independent AJ series.

thanks

Moira

Alex

Nov 6, 2011, 5:18:09 PM11/6/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
> Just wondering, are you going to port the AJ version to the unified,
> or the current unified to 5D2?
I'm going to port the current unified to 5D2 and add the functionality
which is now only in AJ version.

Regarding user interface, the current unified version was inspired a
lot from AJ. I did not have a chance to use AJ version so far (so I
only know it from what I saw in Moira's videos). After I'll try it, I
may add more elements from AJ (you can tell me your suggestions too).

> I will add my voice to this.  I love the AJ series and am not interested in still photo options which will just clutter up the menus unnecessarily.

Latest updates for smaller cameras only display movie options in movie
mode, and photo options in photo mode.

> If we can keep the menu style and functionality of the AJ version wiht being able to turn off the menus that are not relevant to video, I would support the project.

All AJ functionality will be there (only that magic circles will be
square). Menus will be redesigned, but I want to try the AJ version
first.

> If not, then I will be looking for someone to carry on the independent AJ series.

From the first post I've been asking you what to keep from AJ and what
to keep from the current Unified. I don't understand why you are
saying this.

Moira O'Brien LIPF

Nov 7, 2011, 5:11:32 AM11/7/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello Alex

I am not familiar with the Unified version as I don't have any of those cameras so I can't say whether I like or dislike it.  I am very used to the AJ menus having been using them now for most of this year.  Is there a video anywhere showing the Unified menus like mine of AJ 5.0?

I hope you get your 5D2 soon (yes, I have contributed).

regards

Moira
PS Do have a look at the tweet below

Twitter Latest tweet: Only 10 days left to fund The Board Of Education - Trailer For Kickstarter. — Kickstarter http://t.co/y81K0deF
  Get this email app!

M.v.M.

Nov 7, 2011, 5:34:00 AM11/7/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
  Hi, Alex and Moira, I have been first using Trammels builds, in the very beginning, then the AJ as well since he started, and really the menus are super nice, but I as well envy all small-canon-owners for the work Alex did. I could use the photo/bulb/etc. stuff perfectly for time-lapse shooting, and a true unified build with a future would be great.. And on the other side, I spent maybe 1 minute a day when filming with the menus, the other 8 hours are filming...So if any changes in the menu system are done, fine with me as long as all functions that are existing now can be found, like zebra and sound and datarate etc. I think those who are able to shoot a story with a DSLR should be able to learn a new menu as well.

 Here a short report I did all 5d for my work as journalist/filmmaker
It's in German, but you can see what I do....
http://br-online.de/fernsehen/bayerisches-fernsehen/sendungen/schwaben-und-altbayern-aktuell/gemuese-patent-von-mutius100.html

Thanks for reading Mathias von Mutius

"Moira O'Brien LIPF" <mo...@moiraobrien.com> schrieb:
Hello Alex

I am not familiar with the Unified version as I don't have any of those cameras so I can't say whether I like or dislike it.  I am very used to the AJ menus having been using them now for most of this year.  Is there a video anywhere showing the Unified menus like mine of AJ 5.0?

I hope you get your 5D2 soon (yes, I have contributed).

regards

Moira
PS Do have a look at the tweet below

Twitter Latest tweet: Only 10 days left to fund The Board Of Education - Trailer For Kickstarter. � Kickstarter http://t.co/y81K0deF
twitter_32[1].png
twitter_reply[1].png
twitter_retweet[1].png

Alex

Nov 7, 2011, 6:04:54 AM11/7/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello Moira,

> Is there a video anywhere showing the Unified menus like mine of AJ 5.0?

Here are some videos showing ML on 600D and 550D:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G5aEJQDtng
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mUOhxskTXw

Right now there's no video showing the simplified menus, since they
are very recent. I'm attaching a screenshot, just to get the idea.

There's a proposal for using submenus for complex menu items with
different options (for example: the zoom box may have position, size,
magnification (1x/2x), trigger mode and focus confirmation method).
This means it will be possible to navigate the menu and change
settings with the two dials (wheels). On 60D I can already navigate
them very quickly.

> I hope you get your 5D2 soon (yes, I have contributed).

Thanks a lot! Did you use a different e-mail address?

> PS Do have a look at the tweet below

I've noticed Jared's announcement last night. He is very close, I'm
confident he will get the funds in 3 days, according to his latest
graph. Small donations can add up much faster than one may think.

https://twitter.com/#!/goforjared/status/133433895768166400

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Moira O'Brien LIPF
<mo...@moiraobrien.com> wrote:

> Hello Alex
>
> I am not familiar with the Unified version as I don't have any of those cameras so I can't say whether I like or dislike it.  I am very used to the AJ menus having been using them now for most of this year.  Is there a video anywhere showing the Unified menus like mine of AJ 5.0?
>
> I hope you get your 5D2 soon (yes, I have contributed).
>
> regards
>
> Moira
> PS Do have a look at the tweet below
>

> Latest tweet: Only 10 days left to fund The Board Of Education - Trailer For Kickstarter. — Kickstarter http://t.co/y81K0deF

> Follow @MOBPhoto Reply Retweet   23:59 Nov-04

>   Get this email app!
> Signature powered by WiseStamp

audio-menu.png

Moira O'Brien LIPF

Nov 7, 2011, 12:28:25 PM11/7/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex

Thanks for the menu screen shot - one difference (I think) is that AJ had a + or - to the left of each item to show whether the value was going to increase or decrease - essential when setting things like sound levels where you may want to go up or down.  Otherwise, the functionality looks similar. A compromise between the two would be just fine.

Do you have the ability to switch of menus in which you are not interested?

Yes, PayPal messed up my account some time ago so I had to create an email just for a new PayPal account - you should have received from mobga...@gmail.com.

best regards

Moira

Alex

Nov 7, 2011, 12:36:38 PM11/7/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Moira,

In my version, SET increases values and PLAY decreases them.

Right now it's not possible to customize which menus are displayed and which not; it was suggested by other users too, and I'll think about it.

I didn't receive anything yet from mobga...@gmail.com, but probably it may take a while to process it. Thanks again!

Alex

Nov 7, 2011, 12:47:34 PM11/7/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Confirmed, I've just received your contribution a few seconds ago, thanks a lot!

Moira O'Brien LIPF

Nov 7, 2011, 12:47:59 PM11/7/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I checked my PayPal account and it hadn't gone - rectified that now.

AJ has this (show/hide menu) facility for a couple of menus so you should be able to pick it up from there.

regards

Moira

Axel

Nov 8, 2011, 4:57:32 AM11/8/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development

On Nov 4, 6:48 pm, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> After 3 days I have 30% of a 5D2 :)
>
> I will be offline during the weekend, so I won't be able to update the
> thermometer. Hope you don't mind.

Hi Alex,

I hope you don't mind me asking but there is one thing I am interested
to know before I decide how much I am going to contribute: what are
you going to do if your funding gets stuck at 75%, say?

P.S.: If only kickstarter.com would start hosting projects outside of
the US... ;)

Brian Berneker

Nov 8, 2011, 8:07:32 AM11/8/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Yeah all we have to do is buy him one, they're only $20k :)

On Nov 4, 3:31 pm, "arm.indy" <arm.indi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi Alex,
>
> Is it possible to vote for an ML port on the new C300 ? ;-)http://www.dpreview.com/news/1111/11110310canoneoscinema.asp

Brian Berneker

Nov 8, 2011, 8:10:18 AM11/8/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I think that being able to enable/disable menus would be an excellent
option for anyone. Whatever features you use the most would be right
there and those you don't can be tucked away. Also with a more
inclusive overlapping feature set, everyone would be able to choose
from their favorite features.

Alex

Nov 8, 2011, 9:26:51 AM11/8/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
> AJ has this (show/hide menu) facility for a couple of menus so you should be able to pick it up from there.
That's great, I'm sure there are other nice features which are less known.

> what are you going to do if your funding gets stuck at 75%, say?

I'm confident it won't stop, since there's no deadline, and we have
the example with the 60D: I was able to order the camera after less
than one month. The 5D2 has a much better start, I already have 40%
after one week :)
This was the beginning of unified ML:
http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel/msg/fe624afc8e255dfd

I've already started to analyze the 5D2 209 firmware and extract
constants and other camera-specific code.

> I think that being able to enable/disable menus would be an excellent option for anyone.

For advanced users it would be very nice; for beginners, it may just
make it more confusing. I've seen a lot of reactions like "so many
confusing options in ML", so I think starting with a good default
configuration, showing most important features, is more valuable.
That's what I did in latest updates, and now the question is "where
did all advanced ML options go?" (answer: press MENU to show them
all).

scrax

Nov 8, 2011, 11:34:39 PM11/8/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

That's what I did in latest updates, and now the question is "where
did all advanced ML options go?" (answer: press MENU to show them
all).

:)
You are doing a great job,
and if you can't reach the 5D2  i'll suggest to go on for the 600D and its audio chip ;-)

Carl Lovén

Nov 9, 2011, 12:08:10 PM11/9/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
What can I do to really boost this a lot?

I am doing my FYP in January, and really loves ML, but cant use it on
external screen so I am kind of stuck.

//C

James Donnelly

Nov 9, 2011, 12:32:02 PM11/9/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Aside from donating more yourself, if you know or speak to people where 5dII issues are discussed, you could let them know about the possiblity of donating to bring about the unified release, and explain the benefits.

Forums, classrooms etc, as Alex said, spread the word.  A lot of people will benefit.

Peter Scharff

Nov 11, 2011, 2:05:10 AM11/11/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

Just a heads up new 5d firmware on the way : http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/11/5d-mark-ii-firmware-2-1-1-sighting/

squig

Nov 11, 2011, 7:30:22 PM11/11/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
The feature that I'd really like to have added is automatic picture
profile switching on record. Even better would be to have the option
to preview one picture profile on the LCD whilst recording another.
Either of these options would be really helpful for cinestyle users.

TOM_M

Nov 12, 2011, 8:08:31 AM11/12/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I agree, I love cinestyle for video, but for photos i want a more
neutral profile (i shoot raw but its nicer to preview the images with
a more contrasty picture style). Having it automatically use one PS
for video adn one PS for photos would be very useful and time saving.

Alex

Nov 12, 2011, 8:54:54 AM11/12/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
This is already implemented in the unified version (one picture style
in standby and another one when recording).

Right now it's not possible to have preview with some picture style
and recording with another one.

unity2k

Nov 12, 2011, 12:45:02 PM11/12/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
5D fund raise is close to 1000 Euro. Come on community, help push this
further. I'm a 550D user myself, but this opportunity to see the shift
in filmmaking is breathtaking. I'd like to see more and more people
benefit from the camera industry being forced to change from what is
happening on the user side of the equation - instead of what they want
us to have.

Maybe Alex should repost the thermometer on each of his posts and make
the donate link a permanent fixture on his signature.

JWise

Alex

Nov 12, 2011, 4:19:14 PM11/12/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks John,

Just hit the 1000 EUR mark shortly after your message, very nice.

The link to this thread is on the main wiki page, and traffic is
constant (300 visits daily). So if every visitor would donate 5 EUR...
just do the math :)

I'm planning to start a fresh port for the 2.1.1 firmware (which will
probably appear online these days). It's likely that most of the
constants will be identical between 2.0.9 and 2.1.1.

TOM_M

Nov 12, 2011, 7:25:49 PM11/12/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
turns out the 2.1.1 update only changes the following:

Firmware version 2.1.1 incorporates the following fixes and
improvements:

Fixes a phenomenon where shooting stops after capturing one image when
in continuous shooting or the Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB)
continuous shooting setting.

Corrects misspellings in the menu screens displayed in Dutch language.

quite boring really.

Still not available to download though.

Ohls

Nov 14, 2011, 5:19:12 PM11/14/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development

Alex

Nov 14, 2011, 5:28:00 PM11/14/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Downloaded, thanks!

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 12:19 AM, Ohls <tobia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_ii#DriversAndSoftware
>

> Now you can download firmware 2.11

arm.indy

Nov 14, 2011, 5:58:45 PM11/14/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
model_id 218, version 2.1.1

cstart = 0xFF810894

#define HIJACK_INSTR_BL_CSTART 0xFF812AE8
#define HIJACK_INSTR_BSS_END 0xFF81093C
#define HIJACK_FIXBR_BZERO32 0xFF8108A4
#define HIJACK_FIXBR_CREATE_ITASK 0xFF81092C
#define HIJACK_INSTR_MY_ITASK 0xFF810948

RESTARTSTART = 0x4E000

#define HIJACK_TASK_ADDR 0x1A24

Indy

On Nov 14, 11:28 pm, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Downloaded, thanks!
>

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 12:19 AM, Ohls <tobias.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/e...

Alex

Nov 17, 2011, 4:42:38 AM11/17/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Indy,

I've also ran the matching routine between 5D2 and 50D and found most
of the stubs (pushed on the repo). If you need an IDC, let me know.

Alex

Nov 20, 2011, 2:10:04 PM11/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to an anonymous brave tester, the unified ML has just booted on a 5D2 2.1.1 (see screenshots below).

Menu works, but at this point I don't think it's really usable, so it's only available as source code for now:
http://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/tip/platform/5D2.211

The thermometer is now at 62%. I've also created a donation link in USD and added it to the wiki:

EUR: http://goo.gl/gvD8Q
USD: http://goo.gl/mnGdB

You may watch the progress here:
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified

Thank you!
5d2_211_a.jpg
5d2_211_b.jpg

Chris71

Nov 20, 2011, 2:54:33 PM11/20/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hip, hip, hooray!!! :)

I'm using a 550D myself, but as we all know, the ML project started on
the 5D Mark II and we all couldn't use ML now if Trammell wouldn't
have started it.

I think that we will all benefit from mergin the Unified and AJ's
version.

Many thanks to Trammell, Arm.indy, AJ, Alex and all other people who
contributed to Magic Lantern!

On Nov 20, 8:10 pm, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks to an anonymous brave tester, the unified ML has just booted on a
> 5D2 2.1.1 (see screenshots below).
>
> Menu works, but at this point I don't think it's really usable, so it's
> only available as source code for now:http://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/tip/platform/5D2.211
>
> The thermometer is now at 62%. I've also created a donation link in USD and
> added it to the wiki:
>
> EUR:http://goo.gl/gvD8Q
> USD:http://goo.gl/mnGdB
>
> You may watch the progress here:http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified
>
> Thank you!
>

> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 11:42 AM, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks Indy,
>
> > I've also ran the matching routine between 5D2 and 50D and found most
> > of the stubs (pushed on the repo). If you need an IDC, let me know.
>

>  5d2_211_a.jpg
> 335KViewDownload
>
>  5d2_211_b.jpg
> 267KViewDownload

Jordy Vandeput

Nov 20, 2011, 3:33:36 PM11/20/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
This is awesome!
I have just done a reportage shoot with ML today on the AJ build. It
went pretty good, but I had to live with some bugs. If the unified
will take care of these bugs etc. this thing is actually going to hit
the professional market!

On 20 nov, 20:10, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks to an anonymous brave tester, the unified ML has just booted on a
> 5D2 2.1.1 (see screenshots below).
>
> Menu works, but at this point I don't think it's really usable, so it's
> only available as source code for now:http://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/tip/platform/5D2.211
>
> The thermometer is now at 62%. I've also created a donation link in USD and
> added it to the wiki:
>
> EUR:http://goo.gl/gvD8Q
> USD:http://goo.gl/mnGdB
>
> You may watch the progress here:http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified
>
> Thank you!
>

> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 11:42 AM, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks Indy,
>
> > I've also ran the matching routine between 5D2 and 50D and found most
> > of the stubs (pushed on the repo). If you need an IDC, let me know.
>

>  5d2_211_a.jpg
> 335KWeergevenDownloaden
>
>  5d2_211_b.jpg
> 267KWeergevenDownloaden

Alex

Nov 20, 2011, 3:58:27 PM11/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
The unified ML has built-in stability tests; I run them before every release. A test usually takes several minutes and tries most functionality (including things like scrolling menus at full speed, taking pictures while recording, switching through all modes quickly, enabling powersave functions for hundreds of times...)

Of course, in order to fix bugs, I need to know about them, so you should report them. My tests can't cover all possible usage patterns, and the automatic tests only detect those bugs which result in ERR70 or similar (not those related to usability).

Jordy Vandeput

Nov 21, 2011, 1:46:39 AM11/21/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Like I also did with the AJ development, I would also love to help
testing with the unified ;-)

FrankVer

Nov 29, 2011, 6:15:46 AM11/29/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I just donated. Keep up the good work Alex!

Alex

Nov 29, 2011, 11:18:37 AM11/29/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks Frank,

According to early testers, most essentials already work well,
including HDMI support. Jakob did the first real-world test on HDMI
(he recorded around 50 videos, without any problem).

I didn't try it myself and there are still some rough edges.

JaKob

Nov 29, 2011, 11:37:59 AM11/29/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
yup..! its working great

- Jakob

TOM_M

Nov 29, 2011, 11:41:08 AM11/29/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Is there any way i could be an "early tester"?

Alex

Nov 29, 2011, 11:46:18 AM11/29/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Of course, check your e-mail.

Moira O'Brien LIPF

Nov 29, 2011, 11:47:29 AM11/29/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I am happy to test as well.

Moira

+353 (0)87 621 4532  eFax: +44 (0)1892 800020

Moira O'Brien Photography  Moving Image Cork    Friendly Ghost Films
YouTube                            Blog
                         Cork FM

My profiles: Facebook Twitter
Contact me: Skype moirajane
Twitter Latest tweet: On the set of 'The Chase' - A Moving Image production http://t.co/dpgdqnY6
  Get this email app!

eos500

Nov 30, 2011, 4:30:08 AM11/30/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks Alex for your outstanding work!!

Could I become a beta tester of magic lantern on my 5d Mark II?

M.v.M.

Nov 30, 2011, 7:08:00 AM11/30/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
 Hi from Bavaria,
 I would be willing to test as well, I have an Atomos for recording the HDMI out as well..
 And I was an early tester for Trammel when ML started..

Thanks Matthias

Huey Lee

Nov 30, 2011, 10:46:00 AM11/30/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Can I become a tester as well? I have SmallHD DP6 and I can test the HDMI out with ML for you

juliuskarli

Nov 30, 2011, 3:01:09 PM11/30/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
i would also love to test the 5DMII unified version. i am very
interesting in the peaking function.
thank you alex.

Igor Boris Bertolucci

Dec 1, 2011, 4:09:32 AM12/1/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello Alex. Thank you for all the hard work your putting into this fantastic project.
If possible I would like to beta test the unified version for the 5D MkII. There are a number of features I am interested in testing out.
Thanks in advance and keep the brilliant work.
Igor

old_eye

Dec 3, 2011, 6:48:01 AM12/3/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hi Alex, may I be a tester too? At the moment I'm using AJ 5.0.9.
Would be intersed in peakung sine a got used 24 and 2o WA lenses.
Great that you continue to work on the Canons.
Best regards

Huey Lee

Dec 3, 2011, 7:05:22 AM12/3/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I've tested the first port on 5D mk2 today. I shot 10 hours straight without any problems. I have to say it's very stable. Extra stuff like peaking, magic zoom, etc ... are not yet working. I will take my time to write down a bug report tomorrow.

Huey Lee

Dec 4, 2011, 7:22:59 AM12/4/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I guess i'll start firing up the bug report, one by one as I don't want to overwhelm you with a long list of stuff that need to fixed.
I use an old can FD Lens for the test so I could not test out the rack focus features

BUG REPORT:
1) When starts up, comes "Sensor Cleaning screen", have to press shutter button to continue or else it will stay at that screen forever
2) Magic zoom: Zrec, Med, NW, 2:1  ( not work )
                       Zr+F, Med, NW, 2:1 ( not work )
                       (+), Med, NW, 2:1   ( not work )
                       ALW, Med, NW 2:1 ( There is a small screen appears at top left corner but it flickers very fast )
3) Movie Tab / Force Live View: Start & CPU lenses ( not working as I've tried to turn off and turn on again, but the live view mod is not switched on automatically ) - ( "Always" not working either )
4) Shoot Tab / Bulb Timer ( i guess this option should not be here as 5D Mk2 does not have flash built in )
5) When you are in Play mode, while playing the video clip -> rotate the exposure wheel -> green flicker screen appears

TOM_M

Dec 4, 2011, 4:11:04 PM12/4/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
You been able to get the buffer full yet? I just can't get it to stop
recording from buffer overflow! Its been recording at 120Mbps with no
problems!

Huey Lee

Dec 4, 2011, 6:21:18 PM12/4/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Same here, i have not yet experienced any buffer overflow at all

On the second Autoexec.bin there is a text GUI MODE: 0 or sometime GUI MOD: 2 always appears on the screen, on the menu mode, etc...
You need to tell me the codes for various Canon dialogs.
- The number sometimes change to different value, sometimes GUI MODE:0, sometimes GUI MOD: 32, etc....  ( I suspect this is for debug purpose ? )

Also I've tested with my SmallDP 6, it's been working fine, no problems so far. I'm amazed at how stable it is

Huey Lee

Dec 5, 2011, 4:18:39 AM12/5/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I would like to suggest an feature where you can use Spotmeter when you Zoom. I hope this is doable feature

JoeRay

Dec 6, 2011, 3:26:32 AM12/6/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Dear Alex,
Could you please advise me...
I just got my 5DMKII back from Canon Repair and they upgraded the
firmware to 2.1.1. Any suggestions?
I need to shoot a project March 2012 and I'm worried I cannot use ML
5.9 which is on all my cards.
I read the posts and I believe I'm screwed... Do you have any
thoughts if ML 5.9 might be compatible with 2.1.1 firmware?
I don't mind waiting if it might come in a month or so but I could
send back to Canon and see if they could re-install the earlier
firmware.
Please let me hear from you. Peace, Joe Ray at: joera...@mac.com

ps: I've donated to your new camera...

TOM_M

Dec 6, 2011, 9:51:08 AM12/6/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
its easy to downgrade to 2.0.9, just google the canon firmware,
download it and install like you would install any other bit of
firmware. Ive downgraded from 2.1.1 to 2.0.9 before and it works
without a problem.

Then install AJ 5.9

:-)

> Please let me hear from you. Peace,  Joe Ray  at:  joeray_m...@mac.com

Jordy Vandeput

Dec 9, 2011, 6:52:41 AM12/9/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I just got back from my short and forgot my CF card -.- .. Now I'm not
able to test it!
How's the donation going Alex? I might put in some again ^^

Barry Sanders

Dec 9, 2011, 4:37:35 PM12/9/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I really would like to beta test the unified version for the 5D2. As
a person that owns a T2i and a 5D2, I find the unified version at
little more intuitive and user friendly. I'm also on 2.0.9
firmware.

unity2k

Dec 9, 2011, 5:44:58 PM12/9/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hey everyone, if you haven't noticed recently, Alex is now only 165
Euros away from having the donations needed to purchase a 5D - ONLY
165 EUROS! Le'ts make it happen.

> > >http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel?hl=en- Hide quoted text -

Jordy Vandeput

Dec 13, 2011, 1:55:44 PM12/13/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Look like Alex has to buy a new thermometer. His one got explode :-)

GJ everyone!

JaKob

Dec 13, 2011, 6:17:17 PM12/13/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
haha right

- Jakob

Chris71

Dec 13, 2011, 6:40:26 PM12/13/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Now have yourself a nice little full-frame Christmas present, Alex!
You really deserve it! :-)

(But please don't forget us mere crop-sensor users in future ... ;-)

scrax

Dec 14, 2011, 1:56:08 PM12/14/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
The 600D thermometer for the audio issue maybe? ;)

Huey Lee

Dec 17, 2011, 3:19:17 AM12/17/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Alex for your latest build that has fully functioning Magic Zoom. I've tested today and all features of magic zoom works perfectly, no flickering, no problems at all. I hope you can also port the Magic Circle from AJ version over to Unified as Magic Circle is very handy for follow focus.

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 5:56 AM, scrax <scr...@gmail.com> wrote:
The 600D thermometer for the audio issue maybe? ;)

Igor Boris Bertolucci

Dec 17, 2011, 12:38:29 PM12/17/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hi Alex. I've testing the firmware (not the latest one, the one
previous ti that) and found a few issues. I tried to do the stability
test and it crashed on me after only a about 1 minute (on the top lcd
it gave me Err 80, if I remember correctly). Also I increased the CBR
rate and have had success recording clips at ~65Mbps, however I'm
having issues playing them back on the camera, the playback randomly
stops. This can occur ever second or every few seconds. There's no
consistency, but it makes reviewing the clips incamera impossible.
Also I tried the slow shutter feature and am able to lower it only to
1/32 second and not a full 360 degrees (1/24) as in the other cameras.
Last couple of things, but maybe they have been fixed in the last
build: on startup I get the cleaning sensor message until I press a
button and magic circles were flickering (but reading the post above
this seems fixed).
Thanks Alex for this really fantastic piece of software. It really
trasformed my camera.
Igor

Igor Boris Bertolucci

Dec 17, 2011, 12:44:46 PM12/17/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Sorry for the numerous typos in my previous post; I'm writing on an
Ipad with a bandaged finger :)

On Dec 17, 9:38 am, Igor Boris Bertolucci <igorbertolu...@gmail.com>

Huey Lee

Dec 17, 2011, 4:45:21 PM12/17/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Igor, the issues you listed out are actually true and I think Alex will fix them up in the future:

1) Clearning Sensor screen ( Confirmed to be a apparent issue for me and has not yet been fixed)
2) Stability Test  Err80 ( I never have this problem )
3) Playblack stop randomly ( I believe because the bitrate is too high thus it's not real time playable on the camera but it's perfectly fine when you view on computer )

Anyway, I'd like to take this chance to wish everyone and their family a merry christmas and

lord83

Dec 18, 2011, 9:12:23 AM12/18/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

First, I want to congratulate you on all the job you did, with this camera to take it to the upper level. It really improves it.

Now my thought is :
I was wondering, could it be possible to do something about the recording format.
Could it be possible to have a RAW format ? I can't seem to believe it's iimpossible. See the CHDK, and the RAW format with the canon Powershot.

It seems obvious that it couldn't be possible to have it recorded on CF.  Then, my second question is : instead of recording videos on a CF, or through the HDMI slot with a loss.
Could the slot, above the HDMI slot, usually to connect the camera to a computer, be used to record videos directly on a Hard Drive ?

I'm probably dreaming but I keep thinking about it and I don't know if it's technically possible.

I wish you a merry christmas to you all.

Huey Lee

Dec 18, 2011, 10:16:06 AM12/18/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I reckon it's highly impossible with the camera hardware...... unless someone can hack the hardware. There is only certain things you can manipulate with the firmware, in this case it's somewhat impossible to make 5D have clean HDM output and record RAW onto CF.

cacasodo

Dec 18, 2011, 3:59:59 PM12/18/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I took some time this weekend and tested long recordings with Unified
Magic Lantern on my 5D. I recorded a couple videos in both 640x480
mode and 1080P (24fps) mode while connected to an HDMI monitor. I
tweaked video bitrate to .5x in order to record 29m59s length
recordings. Worked great! I put a short video of this on Vimeo:
http://vimeo.com/33871870

as always, thanks for the great work on this Alex.
'sodo

Sander van Leeuwen

Dec 19, 2011, 11:27:49 AM12/19/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
hi cacasodo,

probably I missed a post, but where did you get the unified firmware
for 5d2? thanks

ciao Sander

cacasodo

Dec 20, 2011, 3:58:26 PM12/20/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Sander,
Currently, there is no compiled exe or zip for the 5D, so you'll have
to build from source. Although this link to the UML doesn't have any
reference to the 5D, the code source at the below link will compile
for the 5D:
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified

Also, to ease the pain, the most complete compiling instructions are
still the one for 550D here:
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Build_instructions/550D

'sodo

Moira O'Brien LIPF

Dec 20, 2011, 7:09:42 PM12/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I loaded the 5D-Unified version to Canon 2.1.1 successfully and ran it on test for some time with no problems, however I did not film in a live situation.

For a film shoot I did tonight I was going to use it but I ran into problems so i wanted to revert to AJ5.9.  That was the start of the problems.  With AJ5.9 autoboot enabled, I cannot boot with any other card.  As soon as I take the autoboot off, then I CAN boot with other cards. As the advice was to keep autoboot enabled, I can now not update the firmware back to 2.1.1 from 2.0.9 as I cannot read another card and when I put the 2.1.1 firmware onto the card that was running AJ5.9, it won't boot.  So I am now snookered.  I can only run AJ5.9 now.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Moira

My profiles: Facebook Twitter
Contact me: Skype moirajane
Twitter Latest tweet: First cut of short film "Banksters" looks pretty damn good using #cinelook plugin for #FCPX from #colorgradingcentral Follow @MOBPhoto Reply Retweet   01:01 Dec-18

Sander van Leeuwen

Dec 21, 2011, 4:09:49 AM12/21/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
You can also update the firmware using the canon EOS utility instead
of putting the image on the card, maybe that works?

On Dec 21, 1:09 am, "Moira O'Brien LIPF" <mo...@moiraobrien.com>
wrote:
> I loaded the 5D-Unified version to Canon 2.1.1 successfully and ran it on
> test for some time with no problems, however I did not film in a live
> situation.
>
> For a film shoot I did tonight I was going to use it but I ran into
> problems so i wanted to revert to AJ5.9.  That was the start of the
> problems.  With AJ5.9 autoboot enabled, I cannot boot with any other card.
> As soon as I take the autoboot off, then I CAN boot with other cards. As
> the advice was to keep autoboot enabled, I can now not update the firmware
> back to 2.1.1 from 2.0.9 as I cannot read another card and when I put the
> 2.1.1 firmware onto the card that was running AJ5.9, it won't boot.  So I
> am now snookered.  I can only run AJ5.9 now.
>
> If anyone has any ideas, let me know.
>
> Moira
>
> +353 (0)87 621 4532 <http://www.moiraobrien.com> * eFax: +44 (0)1892 800020*
>
> Websites <http://www.moiraobrien.me>
>  <http://www.friendlyghostfilms.net> <http://www.youtube.com/moirajane>
> My profiles: [image: Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/moirajane> [image:
> Twitter] <http://www.twitter.com/MOBPhoto>
> Contact me: [image: Skype] moirajane
>  [image: Twitter] <http://twitter.com/MOBPhoto> Latest tweet: First cut of
> short film "Banksters" looks pretty damn good using #cinelook plugin for
> #FCPX from #colorgradingcentral Follow
> @MOBPhoto<http://twitter.com/MOBPhoto> Reply
> <http://twitter.com/?status=@MOBPhoto%20&in_reply_to_status_id=1482063...>
> Retweet
> <http://twitter.com/?status=RT%20%40MOBPhoto%3A%20First%20cut%20of%20s...>
>  01:01 Dec-18<http://twitter.com/MOBPhoto/statuses/148206309441941504>
>  Get a signature like this.
> <http://r1.wisestamp.com/r/landing?promo=19&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wise...>
> CLICK
> HERE.<http://r1.wisestamp.com/r/landing?promo=19&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wise...>

Alex

Dec 21, 2011, 4:13:05 AM12/21/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Moira,

AJ 5.9 only works on 2.0.9 and unified only works on 2.1.1. If you take care of this detail, everything should be fine.

There is one bootflag in the camera and one on the card. The one in the camera is now set and it won't be deleted if you upgrade or downgrade the firmware.

The one in the card can be set with EOSCard or MacBoot.

To upgrade or downgrade Canon firmware, in small cameras you have to format the card from the camera. Otherwise, the update may not load.

What issues did you enconter?

Huey Lee

Dec 21, 2011, 6:06:39 AM12/21/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I wish Alex can implement the fps overdrive and HDR mode on 5D MkII port soon. I'd love to test it out for my next film. Thanks

Igor Boris Bertolucci

Dec 21, 2011, 1:40:33 PM12/21/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that would be an incredible update and I too would love to test it out and report any issues. I find it truly incredible what Alex is achieving and enabeling in these cameras.
Out of curiosity, it's probably been asked before, is 720p 60fps (or more) a possible ML feature for the 5D Mark II? Maybe in a cropped window like the Red One does? Slow mo would be quite fantastic. Just wishing...
Thanks for all your hard work Alex!
Igor

Giovanni Di Cello

Dec 21, 2011, 3:12:05 PM12/21/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Igor, THEY haven't managed to override resolution yet but i think
it'll be one of the next features they will try to hack.
Let's see if they can crank the fps past 30, that'll be good too.
I have a 50D and i would really appreciate 720p at 60 fps but it's
science fiction right now. Let's just hope something will happen :)

cacasodo

Dec 21, 2011, 11:16:02 PM12/21/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Igor,
I had asked Alex that the other day. Here's his response:
"I can only alter FPS on 60D and 600D"

sorry.
'sodo

Jordy Vandeput

Dec 22, 2011, 9:02:55 AM12/22/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Alex's public dropbox folder has been disabled. Can anyone mail me the
unified build please? (jordy[at]yapperdesign[dot]com)

Thanks! :-)

On 29 nov, 17:46, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Of course, check your e-mail.
>
> On Nov 29, 6:41 pm, TOM_M <duopho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Is there any way i could be an "early tester"?

Huey Lee

Dec 22, 2011, 9:12:04 AM12/22/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Can someone can upload the latest build on dropbox please? Thanks

Giovanni Di Cello

Dec 22, 2011, 10:02:28 AM12/22/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Wait until tonight, guys.
The official release will be available.

Sander van Leeuwen

Dec 27, 2011, 1:45:24 PM12/27/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
So where is it? ;)

On Dec 22, 4:02 pm, Giovanni Di Cello <giovannidice...@gmail.com>

Giovanni Di Cello

Dec 27, 2011, 1:46:28 PM12/27/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
You can have an early beta via mail.
Contact Alex or wait for somebody who has it already to mail it to you.

Igor Boris Bertolucci

Dec 27, 2011, 9:12:08 PM12/27/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hello Everyone,

If someone has the early beta for the 5D here I would truly like to
receive it as well to beta test. I tried contacting Alex but he might
be await for the holidays.
Thanks.

On Dec 27, 10:46 am, Giovanni Di Cello <giovannidice...@gmail.com>

Malcolm Debono

Dec 28, 2011, 3:07:07 AM12/28/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
You can donate here to get the link for the beta (and a complete HDR workflow):
It is loading more messages.