Magic Lantern 0.2.0 RC1 for 550D firmware 1.0.9

Alex

Dec 19, 2010, 1:36:10 PM12/19/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
After lots of testing and bug fixing, we believe the new Magic Lantern
for 550D firmware 1.0.9 is stable enough to release it to the general
public.

You can find it on the main 550D wiki page:
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/550D

Features:
* GUI menus: press the ERASE button to display them
* Bit rate control (QScale parameter) for the H.264 encoder
* Zebra stripes for overexposed / underexposed areas
* Spotmeter, histogram
* Cropmarks (16:9, Cinemascope, Fisheye)
* Simple intervalometer
* Trap Focus: camera takes a picture when something comes in focus
* Wireless trigger with the LCD face sensor & your own hand
* AE bracketing (like on 5D2 ML)
* Rack focus
* Stack focus (Live View only)
* Lens data computation
* Onscreen audio meters
* Manual audio gain, selectable input source, disable AGC and
digital filters
* Display time remaining during video recording
* Debug functions (display CMOS temperature, screenshot, logging)

We also have a new Windows tool for making the cards bootable
(EOSCard), and new install & user guides.

Even with all the testing this version has received, nobody can
guarantee it is bug-free. There is still a small risk in using this
software, and we want to fix all the bugs and improve it. Please read
the installation instructions carefully!

New developments will continue. Maybe coming soon: customizable ISO,
auto QScale, fluent zebras, better UI, scripting... suggestions
welcome.

Many thanks to all the Magic Lantern developers, contributors and
users who made possible this release!

Enjoy!
Alex

arm.indy

Dec 19, 2010, 2:03:53 PM12/19/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I would like to thank Alex for his huge work!

Indy

Pedro Barbosa

Dec 19, 2010, 2:24:00 PM12/19/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
great work Alex and the others who helped in this next release...

Morgan Look

Dec 19, 2010, 2:46:01 PM12/19/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Great work Alex.

Arm

Dec 19, 2010, 2:58:30 PM12/19/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
This Version works very well.
Anyway i found some bug.
During the play back mode, you cant hear any sounds that been recored.

Great job!!

de...@42u.de

Dec 19, 2010, 3:45:38 PM12/19/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
On 12/19/2010 08:58 PM, Arm wrote:
> This Version works very well.
> Anyway i found some bug.
> During the play back mode, you cant hear any sounds that been recored.
I fixed it already, update your sources and recompile.

Deti

Alex

Dec 19, 2010, 4:02:28 PM12/19/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Test build for in-camera audio playback & custom ISO (ISO 25600 and 50
steps between ISO 100 and ISO 8000). Unzip autoexec.bin over the 0.2.0
files on the card.

> --
> http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

magiclantern-2010Dec19.550d.fw109.iso+playback.alex.zip

h4nz

Dec 19, 2010, 4:56:51 PM12/19/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
thx alex,
fine work!!
h4nz

On 19 Dez., 22:02, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Test build for in-camera audio playback & custom ISO (ISO 25600 and 50
> steps between ISO 100 and ISO 8000). Unzip autoexec.bin over the 0.2.0
> files on the card.
>
> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 10:45 PM,  <d...@42u.de> wrote:
> > On 12/19/2010 08:58 PM, Arm wrote:
>
> >> This Version works very well.
> >> Anyway i found some bug.
> >> During the play back mode, you cant hear any sounds that been recored.
>
> > I fixed it already, update your sources and recompile.
>
> > Deti
>
> > --
> >http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

>  magiclantern-2010Dec19.550d.fw109.iso+playback.alex.zip
> 59KAnzeigenHerunterladen

Piers

Dec 19, 2010, 7:50:45 PM12/19/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Jeez, 36 hours without reading the dev list and I'm hopelessly behind.

Deti, what did you actually do to fix the camera speaker? I've been presuming it's because ML sends audio to the line out (meaning you can wear headphones). Simply sending it back to the camera speaker would break that. (I had been thinking a menu to select, possibly replacing the output level one, which might be controllable from the wheel (as in-camera volume is))

Or, is it in fact a whole separate issue?

PG

M-L-Userrr

Dec 19, 2010, 4:32:00 PM12/19/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks very much ! Amazing stuff :) Now its faster to go through
ISO's .
And about this white balance thing, eosmovrec is capable of changing
white balance values in kelvins with my 550D,so maybe its sourcecode
would help with this a bit ?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/eos-movrec/
>  magiclantern-2010Dec19.550d.fw109.iso+playback.alex.zip
> 59KZobaczPobierz

M-L-Userrr

Dec 19, 2010, 5:30:20 PM12/19/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development

ISO's above ISO6400 look the same so how about erasing them ? :) The
same is in photo mode without MLantern ,ISO H(12800)looks the same as
6400.

Alex

Dec 19, 2010, 11:18:25 PM12/19/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
ISO higher than 6400 is not possible in video, but in photo mode (M
and AV modes at least) they do work well. I've tested ISO 12800 vs
25600 with a picture at f5.6 and f8 and they came out with the same
brightness. Of course, the ISO 25600 was noisier... but still good for
instant messenger avatar :)

Deti

Dec 20, 2010, 2:35:53 AM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
> Deti, what did you actually do to fix the camera speaker? I've been
I prevent the sounddev task from reconfiguring the audio chip when the
camera is in playback mode. This sends audio straight to the speaker or
audio output. I think it should work now as expected.

Deti

Piers

Dec 20, 2010, 6:23:00 AM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I agree it's best for now to turn it off, but I'd still like to see it switchable in a future version.. or, wait, is A/V out still active when in record?

Deti

Dec 20, 2010, 7:20:10 AM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Yes sure.

Deti

Alex

Dec 20, 2010, 10:56:27 AM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
New test build.

ISO fixes:
- all the advertised 50 steps should be now present (I've messed the
source with previous build)
- in video mode, you can select only up to 6400 (more generally, it
will skip all values refused by the camera.. like ISO 100 in HTP mode)

Menu improvement:
- you can toggle the values backwards using Disp button (thanks Tobias
for the patch!).

This would be nice to be implemented using the wheel... but I don't
know how to decode it yet.

magiclantern-2010Dec20.550d.fw109.iso+menu.alex.zip

Fotohobis

Dec 20, 2010, 12:33:24 PM12/20/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks for your outstanding work Alex. I know that Magic Lantern is
more about video futures,
but what do you think, is it posible in future to enable lens AF
microadjustment function for 550d owner?

On 20 Gruo, 17:56, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> New test build.
>
>  magiclantern-2010Dec20.550d.fw109.iso+menu.alex.zip
> 60KŽiūrėtiSiųstis
> >http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel?hl=en- Slėpti cituojamą tekstą -
>
> - Rodyti cituojamą tekstą -

Alex

Dec 20, 2010, 1:22:26 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I don't know yet; until I'll find out, you may experiment with trap
focus as a workaround.

robert

Dec 20, 2010, 3:18:26 PM12/20/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thank you, it works well.

However, during LiveView or Video mode, the Delete key was used to
reset the position of the focus rectangle to the center of the screen.
Now it's used by ML. I think we would still need the rectangle
position reset feature as in the original firmware - is there any
reason why Delete button was chosen? The central SET button has no
function by default (it's disabled in Custom Functions) - we could use
that. Or perhaps a setting in magic.cfg would make anyone happy,
allowin everyone to specfy a button of their choice.

On Dec 20, 4:56 pm, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> New test build.
>
> ISO fixes:
> - all the advertised 50 steps should be now present (I've messed the
> source with previous build)
> - in video mode, you can select only up to 6400 (more generally, it
> will skip all values refused by the camera.. like ISO 100 in HTP mode)
>
> Menu improvement:
> - you can toggle the values backwards using Disp button (thanks Tobias
> for the patch!).
>
> This would be nice to be implemented using the wheel... but I don't
> know how to decode it yet.
>
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Deti <d...@42u.de> wrote:
> > On 12/20/10 12:23 PM, Piers wrote:
>
> >> I agree it's best for now to turn it off, but I'd still like to see it
> >> switchable in a future version.. or, wait, is A/V out still active when
> >> in record?
>
> > Yes sure.
>
> > Deti
>
> > --
> >http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

>  magiclantern-2010Dec20.550d.fw109.iso+menu.alex.zip
> 60KViewDownload

Justyna Nadriczna

Dec 20, 2010, 3:25:11 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
SET button to turn on menu and delete button to turn off menu ?

Alex

Dec 20, 2010, 3:33:22 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Outside LV, I use SET for flash exposure compensation. In LV, it's
used to set lots of settings (with the Q button).

Reason for chosing Delete: when I clicked it outside Play mode,
nothing seem to happen. But maybe the rectangle was already centered
:D

Alex

Dec 20, 2010, 3:34:18 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
... whoops... seems it does nothing with those settings.

Will add a config file option.

Alex

Dec 20, 2010, 3:53:36 PM12/20/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Robert: set button.menu.on = 4 in config file.
For more details, see the last page in the user guide from the archive.
magiclantern-2010Dec20.550d.fw109.menu.alex.zip

robert

Dec 21, 2010, 7:16:58 AM12/21/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks, tested:
I've set button.menu.on = 4 and button.menu.off = 5 at the end of my
config file, replaced autoexec.bin with the new one. Pressing SET
shows a black rectangle when in P mode. It displays the menu fine in
Movie mode. Unfortunately it interferes with ML itself, as after
showing the menu, SET affects the menuitems (correctly), and it cannot
be hidden except by showing some original canon menu (press Menu key
for example).

Can you give me the codes for the DOF preview button (the one below
the lens release button)? I think I could best use that for ML menu on/
off.

On Dec 20, 9:53 pm, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert: set button.menu.on = 4 in config file.
> For more details, see the last page in the user guide from the archive.
>
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 10:34 PM, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ... whoops... seems it does nothing with those settings.
>
> > Will add a config file option.
>
> > On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 10:33 PM, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Outside LV, I use SET for flash exposure compensation. In LV, it's
> >> used to set lots of settings (with the Q button).
>
> >> Reason for chosing Delete: when I clicked it outside Play mode,
> >> nothing seem to happen. But maybe the rectangle was already centered
> >> :D

>  magiclantern-2010Dec20.550d.fw109.menu.alex.zip
> 887KViewDownload

robert

Dec 21, 2010, 7:20:08 AM12/21/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Oh, got it! I only have to set button.menu.on... cool, this is also
good.

robert

Dec 21, 2010, 8:13:19 AM12/21/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I experience camera freezes pretty often. After a normal photo
shooting session of 30-50 images (usually P mode, but also Av),
pressing Play button locks the camera. Display is black, backlight can
be seen. Battery re-insertion helps.
Not only this version, all of the latest days produce this.

On Dec 20, 9:53 pm, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert: set button.menu.on = 4 in config file.
> For more details, see the last page in the user guide from the archive.
>
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 10:34 PM, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ... whoops... seems it does nothing with those settings.
>
> > Will add a config file option.
>
> > On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 10:33 PM, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Outside LV, I use SET for flash exposure compensation. In LV, it's
> >> used to set lots of settings (with the Q button).
>
> >> Reason for chosing Delete: when I clicked it outside Play mode,
> >> nothing seem to happen. But maybe the rectangle was already centered
> >> :D

>  magiclantern-2010Dec20.550d.fw109.menu.alex.zip
> 887KViewDownload

Alex

Dec 21, 2010, 9:02:04 AM12/21/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Is there a build which works well?

robert

Dec 21, 2010, 9:32:59 AM12/21/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
None so far, of the 1.0.9 port.

On Dec 21, 3:02 pm, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a build which works well?

Alex

Dec 21, 2010, 9:34:08 AM12/21/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Can you find a sequence of exact steps (i.e. press this, that and
that) which freezes the camera?

bbss

Dec 21, 2010, 11:49:23 AM12/21/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks for the release. Really great. A few questions.

*Bracketing.
-Can the speed between shots be increased, as in the aeb mode?
-Some form of timer? It seems the only way to trigger the bracketing
is by pushing set on test bracket. This can move the camera on first
shot.

Lcd as trigger to work on both intervallometer and bracket maybe? To
be able to use the infrared remote would be great.

Previous releases it was advices to remove the battery after use. Is
this still necessary?

**awesome work, jealous of you guys skills!**

Tobias Rho

Dec 21, 2010, 3:45:27 PM12/21/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello bbss,

Alex added a config file property for the delay between the shots:

brack.delay=1000

The default delay of 1000ms is necessary, because without it the camera
freezes from time to time using bracketing in live view (LV) mode.

I had no issues setting the delay to 0 when shooting without LV in M, Av
& Tv mode.
Please give it a try, too.

See also our discussion here:
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/189/support-for-larger-ae-bracketing-steps

Tobias

> Thanks for the release. Really great. A few questions.
>
> *Bracketing.
> -Can the speed between shots be increased, as in the aeb mode?
> -Some form of timer? It seems the only way to trigger the bracketing
> is by pushing set on test bracket. This can move the camera on first
> shot.
>
> Lcd as trigger to work on both intervallometer and bracket maybe? To
> be able to use the infrared remote would be great.
>
> Previous releases it was advices to remove the battery after use. Is
> this still necessary?
>
> **awesome work, jealous of you guys skills!**
>

> On Dec 19, 7:36 pm, Alex<broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> After lots of testing and bug fixing, we believe the new Magic Lantern
>> for 550D firmware 1.0.9 is stable enough to release it to the general
>> public.
>>
>> You can find it on the main 550D wiki page:http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/550D
>>
>> Features:
>> * GUI menus: press the ERASE button to display them
>> * Bit rate control (QScale parameter) for the H.264 encoder
>> * Zebra stripes for overexposed / underexposed areas
>> * Spotmeter, histogram
>> * Cropmarks (16:9, Cinemascope, Fisheye)
>> * Simple intervalometer
>> * Trap Focus: camera takes a picture when something comes in focus

>> * Wireless trigger with the LCD face sensor& your own hand

>> * AE bracketing (like on 5D2 ML)
>> * Rack focus
>> * Stack focus (Live View only)
>> * Lens data computation
>> * Onscreen audio meters
>> * Manual audio gain, selectable input source, disable AGC and
>> digital filters
>> * Display time remaining during video recording
>> * Debug functions (display CMOS temperature, screenshot, logging)
>>
>> We also have a new Windows tool for making the cards bootable

>> (EOSCard), and new install& user guides.

bbss

Dec 21, 2010, 10:14:25 PM12/21/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hello Tobias
Thanks that worked perfectly. Had some difficulty to get the property
accepted. So I saved the config in the camera, then changed the value
in notepad.

In live view it worked the best, no issue in av-mode. Just as quick as
aeb, great. It was slower when not in live view.

So now just the remote or timer trigger. Can I do the same here? add a
delay for the trigger? It's not ideal for hand help. But I could have
two cards. I only found one way to trigger. Have camera in continuous,
and press 'SET' on 'Test bracket'. Induces shake.

bbss

On Dec 21, 9:45 pm, Tobias Rho <tobias....@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello bbss,
>
> Alex added a config file property for the delay between the shots:
>
> brack.delay=1000
>
> The default delay of 1000ms is necessary, because without it the camera
> freezes from time to time using bracketing in live view (LV) mode.
>
> I had no issues setting the delay to 0 when shooting without LV in M, Av
> & Tv mode.
> Please give it a try, too.
>
> See also our discussion here:https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/189/support-for-larg...

Chris71

Dec 22, 2010, 10:57:20 AM12/22/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I startet to use Magic Lantern two days ago on my 550D and I must say
that I am really impressed by all the new features! :-)

So I would like to thank Alex and you other guys to make this
possible!

There is one feature request that I have:

I would like to have an option in the input selection of Audio menu
that the camera itself decides whether to use the internal mic or the
external stereo input.

What I am asking for is the normal behaviour of the original firmware
(if a mic-plug is put into the socket for the external stereo, the
camera recognizes this and automatically and switches to external
stereo), so hopefully this is not difficult to implement.

The reason I am asking for this feature is that I quite often use just
the internal mic but every now and than use my OKM II as an external
mic. So it would be quite handy if I do not have to manually switch to
the external mic.

Chris

konarix

Dec 22, 2010, 3:35:25 PM12/22/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hi Alex.

Thx for ML. This is very great stuff.

I wonder is there a posibility, that ML would display Shutter Speed,
Aperture, Exposure compensation ammount, ISO Speed and Battery check,
just like the oryginal display on 550D?

If it's possible, we can clear oryginal display by pressing Display
button, and maybe then ML would display correct values for ISO like
110,115,125,140,160...

Thx for Reply.
Best Regards.

Alex

Dec 22, 2010, 4:26:45 PM12/22/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
New test build.

Small bugfixes and a new feature: HDR images and timelapses. It's in
the "Shoot" menu and is used together with intervalometer or LCD
Remote. Also works in M mode.

Intervalometer & Brack have now a delay before starting => no shake.
With the LCD remote, you don't touch the camera => no shake.

I'm thinking to remove the Brack menu and leave only the HDR one. This
will make some space for new menus. Thoughts?

magiclantern-2010Dec22.550d.fw109.hdr.alex.zip

Alex

Dec 22, 2010, 4:45:02 PM12/22/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Display info: yes, it's possible.
Microphone: if the camera sends an event which I can get, it's
possible. I'll try.

Alex

Dec 22, 2010, 4:51:13 PM12/22/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
For HDR, use SET to adjust the steps, and DISP to adjust the step size
(in EV).
>  magiclantern-2010Dec22.550d.fw109.hdr.alex.zip
> 1018KViewDownload

Piers

Dec 22, 2010, 4:56:50 PM12/22/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
That's certainly on my todo list, but now it can be chosen from a menu, I'm less worried

Piers

Dec 22, 2010, 4:58:08 PM12/22/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Dude! I knew I could rely on you.

Alex

Dec 22, 2010, 5:00:15 PM12/22/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
What do you use for HDR processing? I use enfuse (only for very mild
HDR effect, when lighting is very tricky).

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 11:58 PM, Piers <pie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dude! I knew I could rely on you.

Trammell Hudson

Dec 22, 2010, 5:00:41 PM12/22/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 23:45:02 +0200, Alex wrote:
> Microphone: if the camera sends an event which I can get, it's
> possible. I'll try.

Look in hotplug_task (in Canon's firmware) for details on how to detect
USB, HDMI, and MIC events. If you search for ISR you can find it
easily. I thought we had the mic insert property named in property.h,
but don't see it off hand.

--
Trammell

Piers

Dec 22, 2010, 5:07:41 PM12/22/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I'd use Google ;-) never actually done an HDR myself yet (and with Xmas just about to hit, I don't think I'll be getting any quiet time outside with the camera for probably a week). Oh and I have to erase and restore 180TB today, better focus on the day job ...

Alex

Dec 22, 2010, 5:10:39 PM12/22/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I've tested with headphones (I don't have an external mic). What's
cool is that I can speak at them and the camera hears :)

8003002b: 1 when headphones are plugged in, 0 when not. I don't know
if it detects the mic type (i.e. other values when plugging with real
mic).

I did this test with Debug->Draw_prop.

Probably the best way is to add another setting to "Inp" (Auto) which
should enable the auto-switch.

Matt Dennie

Dec 22, 2010, 5:12:54 PM12/22/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I use photomatix 4, and photoshop to after. I just do photos though, not sure about batch proc. on timelapses.

Chris71

Dec 22, 2010, 5:52:58 PM12/22/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks for looking so quickly after my feature request! :-)

I agree that an "Auto" setting for "Inp" would be a nice way to
implement this feature into the Menu.

On the technical side, maybe it would also be possible simply not to
change (override) the way that the camera itself chooses the mic
source when "Auto" is selected.

Piers

Dec 22, 2010, 6:33:16 PM12/22/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
"Auto" would, in fact, take care of both int dual mono and ext stereo, so if memory serves we'd want:
  • Auto
  • Int L, Ext R
  • Int L, Ext Balanced
  • (and maybe it would be useful to have forced int/ext? I can't see why but I mention it)

Piers

Dec 22, 2010, 6:51:30 PM12/22/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
this would break my pm3[] array, but you've got the values you need in there ... and watch out for mic power.

I guess best approach is map from menu choice, via whether or not there's mic plugged in, to a new value to go into audio.input_source.

rough pseudo-code:

//Audio menu is one less that input-source
if (input_menuchoice == 0) {
    input_source = micpluggedin ? 0 : 1 ;
} else {
  input_source = input_menuchoice + 1;
}

bbss

Dec 22, 2010, 7:08:05 PM12/22/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Great features. One bug. I could not get the higher speed between
shots as I could with the previous release when I changed brack.delay
= 0. Didn't seem to work. Tried the previous config file as well.

I personally would like to have the brack menu, as you included the
timer, so this can be customized. But I see the point. That small
feature takes up a whole lot of space, but with the brack.startdelay
handle it became very useful.

I would also like to trigger this with the infrared remote. If I am in
front of the camera. That is the only thing I can think of that may be
missing.

ML 550d bracketing now beat the 1D series excellent bracket function
imo. Kewl :)

----
I need to learn the basics of this. At least so I can copy and paste
code and customize meny and such things myself. That would be great.
But don't know how difficult it will be to acquire the skills.

bbss
>  magiclantern-2010Dec22.550d.fw109.hdr.alex.zip
> 1018KViewDownload

BramKrist

Dec 22, 2010, 11:21:38 PM12/22/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
me too.. i can hear the sound from camera mic... but, when i plug the
A/V out, the LCD automatically turns off...
It's possible to monitoring video recording and sound recording at the
same time? Thanks..

robert

Dec 23, 2010, 11:58:24 AM12/23/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Please leave there an
- Ext L, Ext R
setting also, for audio input!
There are tines when you need stereo input from external sources.

On Dec 23, 12:33 am, Piers <pie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Auto" would, in fact, take care of both int dual mono and ext stereo, so if
> memory serves we'd want:
>
>    - Auto
>    - Int L, Ext R
>    - Int L, Ext Balanced
>    - (and maybe it would be useful to have forced int/ext? I can't see why
>    but I mention it)

robert

Dec 23, 2010, 12:37:17 PM12/23/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
"remove the Brack menu and leave only the HDR one" - good idea!

On Dec 22, 10:26 pm, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  magiclantern-2010Dec22.550d.fw109.hdr.alex.zip
> 1018KViewDownload

robert

Dec 23, 2010, 3:37:24 PM12/23/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Another small bug: Global Draw: OFF doesn't remove all the labels from
the screen!
There a 3 labels still left there - could you please remove these also
when Global Draw is OFF?

Also clear Preview doesn't remove all texts. There are
some leftovers on the bottom and top right. I guess these aren't there
on purpose while clear Preview is on...

On Dec 19, 7:36 pm, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> After lots of testing and bug fixing, we believe the new Magic Lantern
> for 550D firmware 1.0.9 is stable enough to release it to the general
> public.
>
> You can find it on the main 550D wiki page:http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/550D
>
> Features:
>     * GUI menus: press the ERASE button to display them
>     * Bit rate control (QScale parameter) for the H.264 encoder
>     * Zebra stripes for overexposed / underexposed areas
>     * Spotmeter, histogram
>     * Cropmarks (16:9, Cinemascope, Fisheye)
>     * Simple intervalometer
>     * Trap Focus: camera takes a picture when something comes in focus
>     * Wireless trigger with the LCD face sensor & your own hand
>     * AE bracketing (like on 5D2 ML)
>     * Rack focus
>     * Stack focus (Live View only)
>     * Lens data computation
>     * Onscreen audio meters
>     * Manual audio gain, selectable input source, disable AGC and
> digital filters
>     * Display time remaining during video recording
>     * Debug functions (display CMOS temperature, screenshot, logging)
>
> We also have a new Windows tool for making the cards bootable
> (EOSCard), and new install & user guides.

Alex

Dec 23, 2010, 3:39:41 PM12/23/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
EV indicator cannot be cleared by ClrScr in HalfPress mode, because
Canon code redraws it continuously. Battery icon and Canon histogram
have the same problem.

If it's not this, post a screenshot.

Arman

Dec 23, 2010, 4:21:07 PM12/23/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Has anyone else noticed the short audio burst at the beginning of the
initial video recording with these builds? The first video recording
after turning on the camera always has a short but extremely loud
audio burst around 1 or 2 seconds in. This happens with the both the
int/ext mics ...

Audionut

Dec 23, 2010, 4:57:27 PM12/23/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Is it also possible to disable audio recording.
Useful for those who record using an external device.
And it would allow more bitrate for the video.

And most importantly, thanks a bunch for this excellent firmware.

Alex

Dec 24, 2010, 3:32:46 AM12/24/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'll be offline for a while (maybe until next year), and therefore I
wish Merry Christmas and (maybe) Happy New Year to all the Magic
Lantern users and developers.

Here's a new build which should fix many unstable behaviors. I'll do
some more tests in the next few hours, until I'll leave, but so far it
worked very well for me. I've tested all the new cropmarks, did a
short timelapse (60 images) and wrote some garbage to config file. No
crashes or unstable behaviors yet.

Enjoy Magic Lantern and don't brick your cameras!

Alex

magiclantern-2010Dec24.550d.fw109.bugfixes.alex.zip

Alex

Dec 24, 2010, 4:17:09 AM12/24/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
P.S. Here's what I've got from the donations (an M42 Revuenon Special
135/2.8). Works pretty nice with trap focus :)

Thanks to all the Magic Lantern users who supported the project!

revuenon.jpg

sawomedia

Dec 24, 2010, 5:43:41 AM12/24/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Merry Christmas and thanks for the hard work.

See you around next year ;)

Greetings

sawo

On 24 Dez., 09:32, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'll be offline for a while (maybe until next year), and therefore I
> wish Merry Christmas and (maybe) Happy New Year to all the Magic
> Lantern users and developers.
>
> Here's a new build which should fix many unstable behaviors. I'll do
> some more tests in the next few hours, until I'll leave, but so far it
> worked very well for me. I've tested all the new cropmarks, did a
> short timelapse (60 images) and wrote some garbage to config file. No
> crashes or unstable behaviors yet.
>
> Enjoy Magic Lantern and don't brick your cameras!
>
> AlexOn Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 11:57 PM, Audionut <audionu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is it also possible to disable audio recording.
> > Useful for those who record using an external device.
> > And it would allow more bitrate for the video.
>
> > And most importantly, thanks a bunch for this excellent firmware.
>
> > --
> >http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

>  magiclantern-2010Dec24.550d.fw109.bugfixes.alex.zip
> 1019KAnzeigenHerunterladen

shd

Dec 24, 2010, 4:23:58 AM12/24/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Nice lens! :) Thanks Alex for Your great work and Marry Christmas to
You ! :)

On 24 Gru, 10:17, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> P.S. Here's what I've got from the donations (an M42 Revuenon Special
> 135/2.8). Works pretty nice with trap focus :)
>
> Thanks to all the Magic Lantern users who supported the project!
>
> On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > I'll be offline for a while (maybe until next year), and therefore I
> > wish Merry Christmas and (maybe) Happy New Year to all the Magic
> > Lantern users and developers.
>
> > Here's a new build which should fix many unstable behaviors. I'll do
> > some more tests in the next few hours, until I'll leave, but so far it
> > worked very well for me. I've tested all the new cropmarks, did a
> > short timelapse (60 images) and wrote some garbage to config file. No
> > crashes or unstable behaviors yet.
>
> > Enjoy Magic Lantern and don't brick your cameras!
>
> > Alex
>
> > On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 11:57 PM, Audionut <audionu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Is it also possible to disable audio recording.
> >> Useful for those who record using an external device.
> >> And it would allow more bitrate for the video.
>
> >> And most importantly, thanks a bunch for this excellent firmware.
>
> >> --
> >>http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

>  revuenon.jpg
> 292KZobaczPobierz

totriz

Dec 24, 2010, 6:13:19 AM12/24/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thank you Alex!
>  magiclantern-2010Dec24.550d.fw109.bugfixes.alex.zip
> 1019KViewDownload

Stokis

Dec 24, 2010, 8:38:27 AM12/24/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Yes, I have the audio burst effect too at the beginning of the first
video i take after turning the camera on. It is very bad, because
eveytime I turn the camera on and take the first video, i need to
delete it because of audio bug at the beginning of the video. The
audio burst effect starts after 2 seconds in video, and lasts for 1
seccond. It seems that camera turns the gain on for one seccond. and
than turns it off.

Alex, can you fix it? This bug is in every last 3 firmware versions i
have tested.

Gilbert M

Dec 24, 2010, 10:03:01 AM12/24/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Alex! You have a good Christmas!

René Lolli Muniz

Dec 24, 2010, 10:19:18 AM12/24/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Merry Christmas, Alex!

Cheers,

René Lolli Muniz

thepiecesfit

Dec 24, 2010, 10:59:58 AM12/24/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
There is an issue loading the crop marks in the latest build from Dec
24. If you power down your camera they do not appear. You have to
go into video menu and it says for e.g. CineScop.bmp! and you have
to pick a different one for it to re-appear.

Happy holidays Alex!
>  magiclantern-2010Dec24.550d.fw109.bugfixes.alex.zip
> 1019KViewDownload

robert

Dec 24, 2010, 12:08:02 PM12/24/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
It's not this, have a look at the screenshot:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I9SY8SIH
The three fields at the bottom stay on even though Global Draw is OFF.
Is this on purpose?

Also the text "Screenshot in 10 seconds" stays on even after the
screenshot was taken. I'd change this behaviour to the folowing:
remove the "Screenshot in 10 seconds" text just before taking the
screenshot. That would guarantee that it won't appear in the
screenshot and it won't be left there after

On Dec 23, 9:39 pm, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> EV indicator cannot be cleared by ClrScr in HalfPress mode, because
> Canon code redraws it continuously. Battery icon and Canon histogram
> have the same problem.
>
> If it's not this, post a screenshot.

M-L-Userrr

Dec 24, 2010, 6:19:38 PM12/24/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks for bugfixes Alex , guys if you install new version unpack
autoexec along with cfg file onto your cards ! This would solve issues
with disappearing cropmarks.

James Donnelly

Dec 24, 2010, 7:12:42 PM12/24/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Alex, how do we donate to you directly?  I have donated to ML, and will do so again, but I would like to show my appreciation for all your work.

By the way, for MF users like us, trap focus is a stunning feature, and as you say works great.  I have found that by moving the focus quickly into the rough region of desired focus, before half pressing and moving the focus wheel slowly prevents me overshooting.

pel

Dec 24, 2010, 10:23:27 PM12/24/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

You can donate him to send money to his paypal account here:

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/550D/UserGuide (click on Donate)

Make sure you donate broscu...@gmail.com.

Merry Christmas!

Piers

Dec 25, 2010, 6:27:56 AM12/25/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
The idea would be that when on auto, you're either on int mono or ext stereo. No loss of functionailty, just no need to explicitly choose it anymore

PG

Moira O'Brien LIPF

Dec 25, 2010, 6:55:08 AM12/25/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Trammel - any chance of getting this into the 5D2 ML ?

Moira

Moira O'Brien LIPF

On 25 December 2010 11:27, Piers <pie...@gmail.com> wrote:
The idea would be that when on auto, you're either on int mono or ext stereo. No loss of functionailty, just no need to explicitly choose it anymore

PG

Alex

Jan 2, 2011, 12:39:29 PM1/2/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello and Happy New Year!

As you've guessed from Indy's message, I'm back. I've received exactly
64 e-mails about ML... still reading them. I'm very happy to see the
ML progress, especially the focus assist demos, high-speed zebras,
on-going work on the 60D, but also user feedback from all around the
'net.

Time for a new release... developed offline. It should be pretty
stable; the last significant code change was 4 days ago.

What's new:
- Kelvin WB works for photos, too
- extra info displayed on main shooting screen and on MENU->DISP
(including shutter counter)
- removed Brack menu and added a new one: Expo. This contains ISO,
shutter, kelvin, contrast, and quick access to HTP/ALO.
- on-demand auto ISO/shutter/kelvin WB in manual modes. This is
experimental and works best in LiveView. Press Q key in Expo menu on
the relevant menu item, and read the docs for more info.
- much smaller CO2 footprint (FONT_HUGE was removed)

And there's a new feature I'm working on. I'll let you guess what it
will be (hints are already online if you know where to look).

magiclantern-2011Jan02.550d.fw109.expo.alex.zip

Alex

Jan 2, 2011, 2:10:40 PM1/2/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Forgot to say: previous build also fixes instability in intervalometer
and trap focus modes.

A small proof of stability:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexdu/5316997484/
>  magiclantern-2011Jan02.550d.fw109.expo.alex.zip
> 1028KViewDownload

Torrey Meeks

Jan 2, 2011, 3:55:53 PM1/2/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Just loaded it up. This update works great, love the dedicated "Expo" menu option for shutter speed and iso. Haven't tried the intervalometer yet but I'll let you guys know how it works out when I try it.

I also made a modified Cinescop.bmp with just black matte above and below the red matte lines and clean display between red matte marks. If anyone is interested:

Pedro Barbosa

Jan 2, 2011, 4:11:43 PM1/2/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
hey Alex

welcome back

i've tested this new release and its working really great...
the auto adjustment ISO,K and Shutter is a great feature...
i've tested all the function again and they worked ok for me...

tanks

M-L-Userrr

Jan 2, 2011, 4:22:49 PM1/2/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Great release Alex :) this is very complete release and fixed many
"problems" ,now Kelvin values are remembered and HDR works nice,good
idea with contrast in menu .Thank you very much ! I see even in
videomode there is 16:9 cropmark visible which wasnt there i
think :).

Torrey Meeks

Jan 2, 2011, 4:28:20 PM1/2/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I've noticed that the 16:9 cropmarks blink on and off on my camera if I go from Cinescope or Fisheye directly to "off." They will blink on and off like the zebra stripes.

(This might be a result of my modifying the Cinescope.bmp)

If it's not and other people are experiencing this here's the fix:

To get them to not blink go to hd_ta.bmp. Exit ML menu on this setup. Enter ML menu and hit "Disp" to go back directly to "off". Exit ML menu. 16:9 cropmarks will be solid and unblinking.

thepiecesfit

Jan 2, 2011, 6:33:28 PM1/2/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
There are still issues with the crop marks dissapearing as you cycle
the power off and on the camera. it will say CineScop.bmp! in the
menu and you can only re-enable by going through a few of the bmps.
>  magiclantern-2011Jan02.550d.fw109.expo.alex.zip
> 1028KViewDownload

cristian paradiso

Jan 2, 2011, 7:52:36 PM1/2/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hi Alex thanks for the great job, just one thing, is there any chance
you can fix the fact that on external monitors zebras and more stuff
are all messed up? especially on hdmi connection, I'm getting a dp6
5.6 hdmi monitor from smallhd company and I'd love to be able to use
it with the magic lantern as well. thanks

Alex

Jan 3, 2011, 12:18:00 AM1/3/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
external monitors: yes, I'm going to fix it, but I need some more
debugging info. I'll compile some debug builds for you to run.

cropmarks disappearing: I did not experience this issue (and I
start/stop the camera very often). Can you tell me the exact sequence
(press this/press that) which triggers this bug?

CineScop.bmp is used when there's no cropmark in the config file, or
when there's no config file used. Does the startup fineprint say
anything about cropmarks?

Pedro Barbosa

Jan 3, 2011, 6:49:00 AM1/3/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
the cropmarks work fine for me too...there is no flickering...i only
have to make sure that i config the cfg file everytime i change the
marks inside the sd card...the names have to be excately the same

Stokis

Jan 3, 2011, 8:00:36 AM1/3/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Alex, can you fix the bug - the audio burst effect? This is the bug, I
hate the most. Every first video after turning camera on, there is a
audio volume burst (audio jumps louder for 1 sec) 2 seconds after
video starts. this happens when audio gain is set off. I am using ext
microphone. Other users have mentioned this bug too at this forum.

On 24 dec. 2010, 15:38, Stokis <sto...@inbox.lv> wrote:
> Yes, I have the audio burst effect too at the beginning of the first
> video i take after turning the camera on. It is very bad, because
> eveytime I turn the camera on and take the first video, i need to
> delete it because of audio bug at the beginning of the video. The
> audio burst effect starts after 2 seconds in video, and lasts for 1
> seccond. It seems that camera turns the gain on for one seccond. and
> than turns it off.
>
> Alex, can you fix it? This bug is in every last 3 firmware versions i
> have tested.
>
> On 23 dec., 23:21, Arman <ar...@armanbohn.com> wrote:
>

> > Has anyone else noticed the short audio burst at the beginning of the
> > initial video recording with these builds?  The first video recording
> > after turning on the camera always has a short but extremely loud
> > audio burst around 1 or 2 seconds in.  This happens with the both the
> > int/ext mics ...

Pedro Barbosa

Jan 3, 2011, 10:11:32 AM1/3/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
i'm curious about the new feature that Alex is going to release...i
tried to find it in the ML wiki but i wasn't successful
Message has been deleted

Pedro Barbosa

Jan 3, 2011, 10:59:56 AM1/3/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
let me gess...4k and 1200fps? LOL

my happiness would be to have 720x576 instead of 640x480 or 1080p crop
sensor

this would be the begining of a new year...again :D

konarix

Jan 3, 2011, 11:48:14 AM1/3/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Maybe breaking 4GB limit ?

Alex

Jan 3, 2011, 11:54:13 AM1/3/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Nope... AJ's guess was pretty close :)

Pedro Barbosa

Jan 3, 2011, 12:19:24 PM1/3/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
constant bitrate with adjustable q-scale would be nice too...and 1080p
constant output :D

Alex

Jan 3, 2011, 1:47:23 PM1/3/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
New bugfix release.

Fixes:
- ISO/shutter/aperture displays in LiveView mode
- Uncacheable memory fix from 5D2 branch when loading cropmark (it may
fix the cropmark issue... or not)

Also, lens_info now contains updated ISO/shutter info, wb and picture
style data.

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Pedro Barbosa <barbos...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> constant bitrate with adjustable q-scale would be nice too...and 1080p
> constant output :D

magiclantern-2011Jan03.550d.fw109.uncacheable.alex.zip

Torrey Meeks

Jan 3, 2011, 2:42:59 PM1/3/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Okay, loaded the newest Jan 3 release up and it works great.

*Blinking cropmark problem: This doesn't look like a problem with the firmware but with how I formatted my modified CineScop.bmp. When I load up the default CineScop.bmp I can cycle through all cropmarks to "Off" and there are no blinking 16:9 cropmarks. When I use my modified .bmp, it blinks when going from that to "Off."

I modified the .bmp in Photoshop and saved it with the following parameters - File Format: Windows Bit Depth: 8.

My cropmark file is here - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y69R8I3H. I'm not sure but perhaps matting the black down to 2.33 is causing some kind of redraw conflict when transitioning back to 16:9 matte marks?

*Intervalometer and HDR bracketing: No issues, just wanted to say this works fantastic! I took a bracketed HDR timelapse of the horizon line from my backyard last night. Right now I'm trying to find a script or program that will let me sort the exposures quickly. I can't program to save my life or even do simple scripting, so finding a way to automatically sort 500 exposures into three different folders - one for the light exposures, one for  the midrange, and one for the dark - is proving to be a challenge. Done a bunch of Google searches for "HDR timelapse sort exposures" and stuff like that, but no luck. Any ideas?

Alex

Jan 3, 2011, 2:45:47 PM1/3/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Can you upload it somewhere else? I just get an error message when
hitting Download.

Torrey Meeks

Jan 3, 2011, 2:59:33 PM1/3/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Sure thing:

For some reason this image site keeps converting from .bmp to .png, but it will read as .bmp if you take off the .png manually and write in .bmp.

Torrey Meeks

Jan 3, 2011, 3:01:17 PM1/3/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Here's another download link if that conversion to .png on upload is messing it up on your machine:

konarix

Jan 3, 2011, 3:05:19 PM1/3/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Alex, this release is realy great!

Displaying info about Shutter Speed, Aperture, etc works perfectly.

Can You add just one more thing to display : Exposure compensation
ammount ?

THX.
Best Regards.

inosak

Jan 3, 2011, 3:31:59 PM1/3/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Release working great, only one thing is missing for me, 15 or 20
secounds interval.
Maybe times array can be stored in config?

For uploading you can use my upload site, it's stable, public, free.
And most important - private. http://ssij.inosak.org/

Pedro Barbosa

Jan 3, 2011, 3:34:37 PM1/3/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
i've asked for the information in the screen in times...now there it
is...good feature...again :D

i didn't have much time to teste this release but right now everything
is works without major issues

thanks again

robert

Jan 3, 2011, 5:37:20 PM1/3/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Alex, this one is very cool! However, a small bug on my side too:

See this: http://ssij.inosak.org/d/eocD9qX828

The three fields at the bottom stay on even though Global Draw is OFF.
Is this on purpose?

(Another suggestion, not crucial: the text "Screenshot in 10 seconds"

On Jan 3, 7:47 pm, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> New bugfix release.
>
> Fixes:
> - ISO/shutter/aperture displays in LiveView mode
> - Uncacheable memory fix from 5D2 branch when loading cropmark (it may
> fix the cropmark issue... or not)
>
> Also, lens_info now contains updated ISO/shutter info, wb and picture
> style data.
>
> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Pedro Barbosa <barbosa_f...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > constant bitrate with adjustable q-scale would be nice too...and 1080p
> > constant output :D
>
> > --
> >http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

>  magiclantern-2011Jan03.550d.fw109.uncacheable.alex.zip
> 1027KViewDownload

Audionut

Jan 3, 2011, 11:40:02 PM1/3/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
In the latest build. If I try and adjust shutter speed in the expo
menu, the camera freezes.
I can take a picture and it unfreezes. But refuses to adjust shutter
for me.

bbss

Jan 4, 2011, 1:15:27 AM1/4/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Regarding HDR. Can we have faster framerate between the shots? The
release from 20.des this worked by changing the parameters in the
config file by reducing the delay to 0. I have not found out how to do
this with the new hdr function?

On Jan 3, 7:47 pm, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> New bugfix release.
>
> Fixes:
> - ISO/shutter/aperture displays in LiveView mode
> - Uncacheable memory fix from 5D2 branch when loading cropmark (it may
> fix the cropmark issue... or not)
>
> Also, lens_info now contains updated ISO/shutter info, wb and picture
> style data.
>
> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Pedro Barbosa <barbosa_f...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > constant bitrate with adjustable q-scale would be nice too...and 1080p
> > constant output :D
>
> > --
> >http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

>  magiclantern-2011Jan03.550d.fw109.uncacheable.alex.zip
> 1027KViewDownload

Alex

Jan 4, 2011, 1:28:09 AM1/4/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

You have tried to adjust the shutter in Av or some auto mode, where
camera sets the shutter automatically => starts fighting with ML code.

Audionut

Jan 4, 2011, 2:05:14 AM1/4/11
On Jan 4, 4:28 pm, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You have tried to adjust the shutter in Av or some auto mode, where
> camera sets the shutter automatically => starts fighting with ML code.

Yes indeed I did. I should know better than to play with new firmware
when I'm tired.

Thanks.
It is loading more messages.