Re: Magic Lantern 0.2.0 RC1 for 550D firmware 1.0.9

Scrow

May 25, 2011, 5:12:22 PM5/25/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Is this possible to make something like this:

If I set white balance to i.e. sunny then I'm supposed to have 5200K.
Setting from Canons menu. And now if I go to ML menu i go to white
balance and then press set to make the value higer i.e. one press and
I have 5300. Same thing with custom white balance and any other.

At the second if I set sunny and go to ML to make the value slighly
higher something weird happens and I dont have 5200 for a start value.

Chris71

May 25, 2011, 6:43:09 PM5/25/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
One question to the list moderators: Since the original "Magic Lantern
0.2.0 RC1 for 550D firmware 1.0.9" thread has reached the 1000st post,
it seems that every new answer to this original thread produces a new
thread with the same name (which makes it a bit difficult to follow
the new posts.)

Would it be possible to combine all new threads with this name into
one?

About Scrow's proposal: If it's not too difficult to implement, it
would make sense.

I for myself would also like to be able to reset both WhiteBalance and
ISO back to Canon's Auto setting via ML menu. Pressing Q (as the Menu
suggests) lets ML set it to an auto value by measuring the LiveView
screen. This is a bit confusing, since Canon's "Auto" function has a
different approach (measuring those settings for each picture.)

I would suggest to distinguish between "Canon Auto" and "ML Auto" in
these two menu settings for that matter.

Also, it would be nice if in Expo -> Light Adjust also "ALO std" and
"ALO low" could be selected. They are shown in the ML menu if they are
already set in the Canon menu, but those two settings can't be made
via ML menu.

Morgan Look

May 25, 2011, 6:55:21 PM5/25/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I don't believe the management interface offers any control over how message threads are grouped.

So I would suggest Alex make a new "release", so we can have a new thread. I would dare say we're a little beyond 0.2.0 RC1 by now anyway.

Morgan

> --
> http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

Chris71

May 25, 2011, 7:10:29 PM5/25/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Alex wrote some time ago that there probably never will be a version
1.0 because there will always be room for improvements. :-)

So welcome version 0.2.1 RC1 (or 0.2.0 RC2) for now! ;-)

No, honestly, I would at least vote for 0.3.0!

Alex

May 25, 2011, 7:15:35 PM5/25/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
And I have a feeling that latest builds are actually pretty stable :)

JaKob

May 25, 2011, 7:16:56 PM5/25/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
when you can change the codec... ehehe /duck

- Jakob

Alex

May 25, 2011, 7:20:31 PM5/25/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
We already have raw yuv422 @ 4 fps :P

Piers

May 25, 2011, 8:10:48 PM5/25/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Would anyone mind posting a screengrab of the new menu? I wont be back with my camera for 8 hours ...

PG

Alex

May 26, 2011, 2:34:39 AM5/26/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Screenshot attached.

Another one from 500D:
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=5971.msg67283#msg67283

VRAM3.BMP

Alex

May 26, 2011, 5:36:38 AM5/26/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Dear Alex:
        How are you?
        Thank you for the 550D-ML,your work is so great!
        I am a 550D-ML user,when using the ML I find a little problem.
        In the MRaw and SRaw mode,I found the created .CR2 files can't be opened and edit from Adobe Photo Shop CS4 & CS5,even I installed the newest Camera RAW,but the RAW mode created .CR2 files has no problem.
        The similar situation in Canon DDP tool,the RAW mode created .CR2 files can open and edit normally,but the MRaw & SRaw  modes created  .CR2 files looks like Zebra pic.
        How can I open and edit the MRaw and SRaw files?
        Thanks!

anhadikal

May 26, 2011, 9:27:40 AM5/26/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I had a small session ... but all photos are corrupted... (Lightroom,
PScs5, DPP, ...)
I only could save the JPGgs/Previews with exiftool (they are anyway
18Mpx, shoot with MRaw) ...

hope you can find a way to convert them...

Chris71

May 26, 2011, 11:49:37 AM5/26/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
As I posted two times before, I am willing to compare the file tags of
mRAW and sRAW shots taken by the 550D (which don't work yet properly)
with those taken by a 60D (which has this feature built-in in the
Canon firmware.) Maybe there is a tag or something in the file
structure that can be changed so that the mRAWs and sRAWs work.

So I ask anyone with a Canon EOS *60D* again to post a sample image
taken in mRAW and one in sRAW format so that I have something to
compare.

Thanks in advance.

Alex

May 26, 2011, 2:08:17 PM5/26/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

Milan Kajnar

May 26, 2011, 2:54:16 PM5/26/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

Milan Kajnar

May 26, 2011, 3:35:15 PM5/26/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex!

Thank you for your good job and sorry for my english :-)

I have extracted exif informations from your posted files...
Compare both files in TotalCommander by content and look just for lines
195 - 216.
These lines not exists in Canon (ML) mRaw and sRAW from 550D...

Milan

Dne 26.5.2011 20:08, Alex napsal(a):

mraw60D.txt
sraw60D.txt

arm.indy

May 26, 2011, 5:32:15 PM5/26/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
for RAW format:
http://lclevy.free.fr/cr2/

but no code is provided...

Indy
>  mraw60D.txt
> 12KAfficherTélécharger
>
>  sraw60D.txt
> 12KAfficherTélécharger

Morgan Look

May 26, 2011, 6:11:45 PM5/26/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
You could try adding the missing tags with exiftool

> --
> http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

Chris71

May 26, 2011, 7:24:26 PM5/26/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks, Alex, for posting sample 60D mRAW and sRAW files. :-)

I'm sorry, Morgan, but adding the missing tags with exiftool most
likely will not help.

Here are my findings so far:

I used ExifToolGUI to compare the sRAW files of the 60D and of the
550D. This tool has a useful function in the Expert menu called "Dump
All data to HTM file" which writes a HTML file of the structure and
the tags, so that they can easily be compared in a web browser.

I didn't find any significant differences in the tags, so I just did
an experiment the easy way by using a hex editor:

I just put the actual RAW data of the 60D sRAW file in the 550D sRAW
file and vice versa.
(side note: Technically, this data starts at IFD#3 StripOffset and has
a lenght of IFD#3 StripByteCount. Of course I changed StripByteCount
too according to the size of the RAW data.)

Now the 550D sRAW file loads in DPP and shows the (correct) 60D
picture and the 60D sRAW file shows the (distorted) 550D picture!
(side note: The small preview still shows the original, non-patched
picture, as well as the embedded full-res-JPEG, which e.g. is shown by
the Fast Stone Image Viewer, still shows the original, non-patched
picture.)

What we learn from this is:

The tags seem to be alright in the 550D file, but the actual RAW data
(i.e. the IFD#3 strip data) makes the difference.

So we have to look further into possible differences in the IFD#3
strip data, but this becomes quite technical. Explanations about this
can be found at http://lclevy.free.fr/cr2/#lossless (chapter "3.
Decode the lossless jpeg grayscale picture"). I'm not sure if we could
make the 550D s/mRAW files work even if we find differences in the
IFD#3 strip data.

Probably there is just another setting in the original firmware that
has to be changed when s/mRAW are selected in order to have proper,
undistorted files.

Would it be possible for you, Alex, to take a look (by using spy prop/
evt/mem) if something else changes in the 60D when s/mRAW format is
selected or when a picture in s/mRAW is taken?

levmyshkin

May 31, 2011, 1:56:49 AM5/31/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Haven't said anything in awhile but I've been reading the group digest
regularly and updating ML every time there's a new release.

The most recent updates to the ML interface and logo are amazing. The
new CBR options are great too. I love it. Keep up the great work : )

On May 25, 5:15 pm, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And I have a feeling that latest builds are actually pretty stable :)

marto Tran

Jun 22, 2011, 10:09:58 AM6/22/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hi, try to use faststone image viewer to open and edit mraw or sraw. I
hope this can help.

Chris71

Jun 22, 2011, 1:38:11 PM6/22/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks, Marto, for your hint. FastStone Image Viewer is a good program
and I also used it to view mRAW and sRAW test files taken by the 550D.

But unfortunately, FastStone only displays the HiRes JPEG picture
which is embedded in each RAW file.

So, while FastStone can be used to display the JPEG part of the mRAW
and sRAW files, the acutal RAW data in those files is still garbage
(until we find a way to save them correctly with Magic Lantern.)

Loo

Jul 7, 2011, 3:22:43 PM7/7/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Did anyone ever figure this one out?  I still can't open any of the RAW pictures I took recently.

--
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

-Lu

Alex

Jul 7, 2011, 3:24:17 PM7/7/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
For now, you can only extract the embedded JPEG preview; many programs
can do this, including dcraw and ufraw.

Loo

Jul 7, 2011, 3:37:39 PM7/7/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Figured out that my problem is not even due to ML.

I took a RAW shot with my wife's non-ML 550D and PSCS4 Extended still gave me the "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document." error.

I've re-installed CS4 twice and made sure I have the latest Adobe Photoshop Camera RAW plugin 5.6.0.148 to no avail.  But I'll try the workaround using what you recommended.  Thanks Alex.

-Lu