Unified Magic Lantern source tree - 550D, 60D and 600D for now, other cameras coming soon

Alex

Jul 7, 2011, 6:01:10 PM7/7/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Here's a major backend upgrade; a common source tree between all
supported cameras. For now, it's only for 550D, 60D and 600D. Most
users who compile ML from source already noticed it, since this
approach helped a lot with the 600D port. Other cameras (500D, 50D,
maybe 1100D) will be added in the near future.

Thanks to Arm.Indy for the new build process!

Meanwhile, there were a few code changes:

* User manual at your fingertips (I'll let you discover how to enable
this; thanks to Sztupy for making this possible with the RLE bitmap
engine)

* Config file load/save is now almost instant, which results in:
- Fast startup => boot logo is no longer needed
- Config file saved every time you close the menu => settings are
saved even if ML crashes

* Fixed crash in photo mode when ClearScreen was active (this needs
more testing; ClearScreen is now off by default due to this bug)

* Full-screen waveform (although with low-res to reduce memory usage)

* Some new power saving options in Debug menu

* Ghost image is back in the menu

* When AGC is on, ML displays current digital gain in the menu. Also
I've noticed AGC is only applied on digital domain => updated the
docs.

* HDMI option for forcing VGA resolution => this avoids the few
seconds of black screen when you start recording. Moreover, this mode
has the same resolution as built-in LCD, so most ML graphics tools
should work with the same code. In high-resolution mode you won't be
able to use most LiveView functions for a while (they didn't work well
anyway).

Thanks to SmallHD, Trammell Hudson and James Donnelly, I'll receive a
HDMI monitor soon and I'll be able to fix these issues.

I've also started a wiki page at http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified

600D port is still young; the audio module is disabled for now. You
can see what works and what not on its wiki page.

When installing, make sure you copy all the subfolders from the zip
archive on the card. The simplest way to upgrade is to unzip
everything.

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-2011Jul08.550D.fw109.alex.zip
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-2011Jul08.60D.fw109.alex.zip
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-2011Jul08.600D.fw101.alex.zip

Enjoy!

Alex

Jul 7, 2011, 6:04:33 PM7/7/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Since Google Groups trimmed the camera model from the links, I repost
them here:

550D: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-2011Jul08.550D.fw109.alex.zip
60D: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-2011Jul08.60D.fw109.alex.zip
600D https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-2011Jul08.600D.fw101.alex.zip
> I've also started a wiki page athttp://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified
>
> 600D port is still young; the audio module is disabled for now. You
> can see what works and what not on its wiki page.
>
> When installing, make sure you copy all the subfolders from the zip
> archive on the card. The simplest way to upgrade is to unzip
> everything.
>
> https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201...https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201...https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201...
>
> Enjoy!

JaKob

Jul 7, 2011, 8:46:18 PM7/7/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
how about a transparency Full-screen waveform so we can still see the video for review light levels etc etc

- Jakob

--
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

scrax

Jul 7, 2011, 8:56:08 PM7/7/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
http://codepad.org/U71hOvYV
I have this error running the script to convert .422 file on osx

On 8 Lug, 00:04, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since Google Groups trimmed the camera model from the links, I repost
> them here:
>
> 550D:https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201...
> 60D:https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201...
> 600Dhttps://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201...
> >https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201......
>
> > Enjoy!

scrax

Jul 7, 2011, 9:50:36 PM7/7/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I' have installed PIC but now I need something else :

Converting ./2170-012.422 to ./2170-012.jpg...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "422-jpg.py", line 145, in <module>
convert_422_bmp(f, change_ext(f, ".jpg"));
File "422-jpg.py", line 120, in convert_422_bmp
im.save(output, quality=95)
File "/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 1439, in
save
save_handler(self, fp, filename)
File "/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/PIL/JpegImagePlugin.py",
line 471, in _save
ImageFile._save(im, fp, [("jpeg", (0,0)+im.size, 0, rawmode)])
File "/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/PIL/ImageFile.py", line 495,
in _save
e = Image._getencoder(im.mode, e, a, im.encoderconfig)
File "/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 401, in
_getencoder
raise IOError("encoder %s not available" % encoder_name)
IOError: encoder jpeg not available

Alex

Jul 8, 2011, 1:52:22 AM7/8/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
> how about a transparency Full-screen waveform so we can still see the video
> for review light levels etc etc

Try changing this line in magic.cfg:

Semitransparent gray:
waveform_bg = 20

Semitransparent black:
waveform_bg = 3

Transparent:
waveform_bg = 0

Alex

Jul 8, 2011, 2:23:34 AM7/8/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
In order to use stack focus, you have to assign autofocus to a
separate button, like the * button.

This is done from Custom Functions: on 550D, Shutter/AE lock button
should be AE lock/AF.

Stifa

Jul 8, 2011, 3:33:06 AM7/8/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Should we delete magiclantern.fir after unzipping... as described in
old install video...or just unzip on SD card and overwrite ?

I have deleted this file on my card in june 7 2011 build ... ??

aoi

Jul 8, 2011, 8:30:06 AM7/8/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
minor bug or something:turn display off started working again only
after camera turn off\on.
but i was scared though-its very valuable feature.
maybe shortcut for it or give option to choose between timed(change
value by Qbutton) and instant(value at 0)?immediate one was much better

LegoSkiBike

Jul 8, 2011, 2:50:04 AM7/8/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I love the "User manual at your fingertips" :P

Thanks
MatthewRichey.com
> I've also started a wiki page athttp://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified
>
> 600D port is still young; the audio module is disabled for now. You
> can see what works and what not on its wiki page.
>
> When installing, make sure you copy all the subfolders from the zip
> archive on the card. The simplest way to upgrade is to unzip
> everything.
>
> https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201...https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201...https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201...
>
> Enjoy!

Phynex

Jul 8, 2011, 9:28:45 AM7/8/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
big thanks!
just one question. is it ok to leave the magic.cfg file for the old
settings? or are there too many changes with every update so its
better to delete it?
thanks for the answer.

greets

Redkite Bart

Jul 8, 2011, 3:04:02 PM7/8/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Amazing work well done!

scrax

Jul 8, 2011, 4:06:13 PM7/8/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
yes it's really a nice feat. I like it a lot too
> >https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201......
>
> > Enjoy!

scrax

Jul 8, 2011, 4:11:32 PM7/8/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development

If your camera can already load ML i see no reason to use
magiclantern.fir again
For me on 600D only things needed are autoexec.bin and the cropmarks
folder from the zip. But I unzipped all the stuff on the card to have
always all what I need to install ML on another card .

Chris71

Jul 8, 2011, 4:20:08 PM7/8/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
A big "thank you" for this great new version! Now that the code is
unified, we can all benefit from further improvements. I hope that the
other cameras (50D etc.) will follow soon. :-)

Also, the built in manual is a really great idea!
> I've also started a wiki page athttp://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified
>
> 600D port is still young; the audio module is disabled for now. You
> can see what works and what not on its wiki page.
>
> When installing, make sure you copy all the subfolders from the zip
> archive on the card. The simplest way to upgrade is to unzip
> everything.
>
> https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201...https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201...https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201...
>
> Enjoy!

"Sztupák Sz. Zsolt"

Jul 8, 2011, 4:25:54 PM7/8/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
The new unified branch looks really great. It would also make crating a
menuconfig style build process (which is used by the linux kernel or
busybox) much easier, that would allow one to select the features one
wants and only add them into the build.

SztupY

scrax

Jul 8, 2011, 8:47:37 PM7/8/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
That would be great but for me before i need also to solve this

Error: cannot use register index with PC-relative addressing -- `str
r0,[pc,#-12]'

when compiling, someone can help me?
> >>https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201......
>
> >> Enjoy!

ajay krishnan

Jul 8, 2011, 3:48:30 PM7/8/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Working well thanks a lot.
regards

On Jul 9, 12:04 am, Redkite Bart <bartb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Amazing work well done!

Meji

Jul 9, 2011, 4:47:49 AM7/9/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
is it possible for magic lantern to corrupt footage in anyway? I was
having problems with the last build with that ghost image thing while
i was recording..had no idea to get rid of it.

i dont know if that could be the reason but half my footage just
crashes my quicktime and final cut repeatedly. the only change was
updating the magic lantern? thanks a lot.

Mok

Jul 9, 2011, 12:51:14 PM7/9/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
awesome work dude...
this build already feels more stable than the previous one
now with the online manual.. great software just keeps on getting better!
-Mark

Morgan Look

Jul 9, 2011, 8:03:29 PM7/9/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Nice work.

One suggestion; maybe use the flash/dof button to bring up the manual page for the currently selected menu?
Or take it a step further and make it specific to the currently selected menu item.  This would give a contextual feel to the online manual.

Morgan.

Chris71

Jul 10, 2011, 8:25:09 AM7/10/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
This already works, see PDF manual, p. 10: "Press the DISP or INFO
button to get help about a particular menu item."
Message has been deleted

LegoSkiBike

Jul 10, 2011, 1:03:51 PM7/10/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I made a video about this update: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvjSgSjme-A

Matthew Richey

Jul 11, 2011, 7:01:39 PM7/11/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

Meji

Jul 11, 2011, 7:30:23 PM7/11/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Earlier I made this statement. Just want to clarify that it was my
encoder mpeg streamclip that was corrupting my files! Thanks

magic8

Jul 11, 2011, 10:46:27 PM7/11/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Alex,
ML is looking very sleek n sexy theseadays :]
small issue: Everything is looking GREAT except I only have the AUDIO
METERS: ON/OFF option for my entire audio menu! I saved a screenshot
if you need to see.
Message has been deleted

Matthew Richey

Jul 11, 2011, 11:08:37 PM7/11/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
What does "don't click me" do?

D.K. McPherson

Jul 12, 2011, 2:06:20 AM7/12/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
What ever you do "DON'T CLICK IT."

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 4:08 AM, Matthew Richey <legos...@gmail.com> wrote:
What does "don't click me" do?

Redkite Bart

Jul 12, 2011, 5:49:00 AM7/12/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hi,

This release is great but I can't figure out how to get HDR timelapse
feature running in AV mode anymore. I use that a lot lately for
landscapes and use frame interpolation with avisynth and the amazing
InterFrame filter to fill up the in between shots to a movie. This
makes the landscape come to life. Works great!

SETUP: 550D with Tamron 11-18mm on MF, ISO100, f8
SHOOT: HDR Bracket 3x2EV, Take a pic every 3s, intervalometer: ON,
Wait.

In the 25may build the intervals started right after leaving the ML
menu. But now nothing happens. I've red the manual and can't figure
out why it doesn't work.

Bart

Jeppe Toustrup

Jul 12, 2011, 4:33:44 AM7/12/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I am experiencing problems with using the intervalometer on my 550D
with this new version. When I go into the menu and enable the
intervalometer, and then exit the menu again with the delete button,
nothing more happens. When I go back into the ML menu to check the
settings, the intervalometer is listed as disabled, so it is possibly
not enabled in the first place.

Are anybody else experiencing this, or is there a way for me to get
some log output in order to find out what goes wrong?

/Jeppe

Alex

Jul 12, 2011, 9:40:09 AM7/12/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
The intervalometer has a little glitch; you need to close ML menu with
half-shutter press in order to use it. Will be fixed in the next
release.

Jeppe Toustrup

Jul 12, 2011, 9:56:57 AM7/12/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Ah, thank you for the clarification. I couldn't find any other
mentions about it, so I thought I would ask here.

Joel Pfeiffer

Jul 12, 2011, 10:34:49 AM7/12/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Where is the new version?

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Jeppe Toustrup <*@tenzer.dk> wrote:
> I am experiencing problems with using the intervalometer on my 550D
> with this new version. When I go into the menu and enable the
> intervalometer, and then exit the menu again with the delete button,
> nothing more happens. When I go back into the ML menu to check the
> settings, the intervalometer is listed as disabled, so it is possibly
> not enabled in the first place.
>
> Are anybody else experiencing this, or is there a way for me to get
> some log output in order to find out what goes wrong?
>
> /Jeppe
>
> --
> http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

Malcolm Debono

Jul 12, 2011, 10:43:53 AM7/12/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com, Joel Pfeiffer
He said that it will be "fixed in the next release". Give the guy some time!

scrax

Jul 12, 2011, 2:13:00 PM7/12/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Tried on 600D and it works after pressing shutter button, it takes 3 pic in bracket every 3 seconds.

scrax

Jul 12, 2011, 4:50:02 PM7/12/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
on 600D they are disabled on purpose. On 550D i think they are enabled (from the screenshot posted by Matthew Richey)

Joel Pfeiffer

Jul 12, 2011, 4:58:38 PM7/12/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
But I didnt get the last release either, Havent gotten one in months, no pressure for the new just want to find some of the old builds to find a stable one that will suite my needs, i have a pending project I really would like ML for. Thanks Again

He said that it will be "fixed in the next release". Give the guy some time! --
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

AlexV

Jul 13, 2011, 3:47:34 AM7/13/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I am missing the lower row of info (ISO, shutter etc) on my 60D.

Alex

Jul 13, 2011, 6:02:25 AM7/13/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
How to reproduce?

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 9:47 AM, AlexV <al...@vafiopoulos.de> wrote:
> I am missing the lower row of info (ISO, shutter etc) on my 60D.

daniel thissen

Jul 13, 2011, 6:37:37 AM7/13/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
push display  button .

AlexV

Jul 13, 2011, 7:29:50 AM7/13/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
There is no display button on the 60D.

On 13 Jul., 12:37, daniel thissen <thissendan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> push display  button .
>
> 2011/7/13 Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com>
>

> > How to reproduce?

Sztupák Sz. Zsolt

Jul 13, 2011, 7:40:07 AM7/13/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
It is the info button

AlexV

Jul 13, 2011, 7:51:23 AM7/13/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
OK the info button shows the info from the canon menue. But the
previous ML version for 60D was showing shutter, iso etc on the bottom
of the display all the time always.
https://files.me.com/funkyfinca/auudtm

On 13 Jul., 13:40, Sztupák Sz. Zsolt <m...@sztupy.hu> wrote:
> It is the info button
> --
>
> AlexV <a...@vafiopoulos.de> wrote:
>
> There is no display button on the 60D.
>
> On 13 Jul., 12:37, daniel thissen <thissendan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > push display  button .
>
> > 2011/7/13 Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com>
>
> > > How to reproduce?

> > >http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel?hl=en
>
> > > --
> > >http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

> --http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

Justin Williamson

Jul 13, 2011, 11:53:15 AM7/13/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Alex,

Love the new version and how quick it is. I have a shoot in Africa in
2 days and the intervalometer bug is holding me back from Magic
Lantern.

Is there any quick fix I can do? (550d)

-Thanks.

On Jul 13, 6:02 am, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How to reproduce?

VisualRender

Jul 13, 2011, 1:12:56 PM7/13/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I get error 80 frequently in many operations performed while
monitoring.by HDMI.
I only can press record button, anyhing else block the camera, the
camera stills keeps it output to monitor but any buttons even the
power seems to function until the i put the battery out and back in.
In all other functions is far more stable that previous versions but i
miss the Movie AF.

G Sharpe

Jul 13, 2011, 12:23:10 PM7/13/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Alex and Team,

It's an understatement to say that I am astonished at what you have
accomplished. I have just recently installed ML along with Technicolor
CineStyle. I feel a little guilty in having this capability in my
hands without cost. I have looked for but not found some way to donate
to continuation of your development and support. Do you accept
donations?

I hope that you are suitably protecting your intellectual property
rather than just showing Canon the way without prospect of
compensation.

With great respect,

Gary Sharpe (Mexico and Massachusetts)

-------------------

On Jul 7, 6:01 pm, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's a major backend upgrade; a common source tree between all
> supported cameras. For now, it's only for 550D, 60D and 600D. Most
> users who compile ML from source already noticed it, since this
> approach helped a lot with the 600D port. Other cameras (500D, 50D,
> maybe 1100D) will be added in the near future.
>
> Thanks to Arm.Indy for the new build process!
>
> Meanwhile, there were a few code changes:
>
> * User manual at your fingertips (I'll let you discover how to enable
> this; thanks to Sztupy for making this possible with the RLE bitmap
> engine)
>
> * Config file load/save is now almost instant, which results in:
> - Fast startup => boot logo is no longer needed
> - Config file saved every time you close the menu => settings are
> saved even if ML crashes
>
> * Fixed crash in photo mode when ClearScreen was active (this needs
> more testing; ClearScreen is now off by default due to this bug)
>
> * Full-screen waveform (although with low-res to reduce memory usage)
>
> * Some new power saving options in Debug menu
>
> * Ghost image is back in the menu
>
> * When AGC is on, ML displays current digital gain in the menu. Also
> I've noticed AGC is only applied on digital domain => updated the
> docs.
>
> * HDMI option for forcing VGA resolution => this avoids the few
> seconds of black screen when you start recording. Moreover, this mode
> has the same resolution as built-in LCD, so most ML graphics tools
> should work with the same code. In high-resolution mode you won't be
> able to use most LiveView functions for a while (they didn't work well
> anyway).
>
> Thanks to SmallHD, Trammell Hudson and James Donnelly, I'll receive a
> HDMI monitor soon and I'll be able to fix these issues.
>
> I've also started a wiki page athttp://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified
>
> 600D port is still young; the audio module is disabled for now. You
> can see what works and what not on its wiki page.
>
> When installing, make sure you copy all the subfolders from the zip
> archive on the card. The simplest way to upgrade is to unzip
> everything.
>
> https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201...https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201...https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201...
>
> Enjoy!

Colin Peart

Jul 13, 2011, 2:46:46 PM7/13/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I can only speak for myself, but if Canon is following Magic Lantern and improves their products so that firmware hacks and taking bricking-risks with expensive gear is not necessary, I am all for it.

Colin Peart

> Enjoy!

msi

Jul 14, 2011, 5:38:53 AM7/14/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I agree, Colin, but this is never going to happen. Canon is not
interested in that matter. They might think they will lose something.
They might be afraid not to sell the newer camera models if they
improve the older ones. But I think they are wrong. It could be a big
step if the open the firmware for, say, the 500D and 550D and let the
community improve it. Best thing, I would say. Canon stops the support
for the older models but releases the firmware. They won't lose
anything. If someone bricks the camera with a "firmware in the wild"
it's not Canon's problem.

I'm sure they will sell less newer models if one can improve a camera
with a better firmware. Why would I throw away or sell my 550 just to
buy a 600? That would be nonsense because it just has that movable
screen. And shall I do the same in one year to buy a 650 then which
movable screen is, say, touchable?
But it doesn't matter. Developers will be interested in Canon's
cameras and software. And other people will buy because they know that
the software will be released and improved some day. And if they see
that their cameras do not support all the new things, what will they
do? Speaking for me, I would buy another Canon because I would know
that a lot of talented developers are waiting to work with the
firmware.

But this is not going to happen. Unfortunately, I might add. Guess, we
need someone like Google in this field. A company which draws the
specs of a camera, which uses another company like Canon or Panasonic
(add your favourite here!) to build it, and which releases the
firmware as open-source. Just like Google did (Android OS, Nexus
phones).

On 13 Jul., 20:46, Colin Peart <cgape...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can only speak for myself, but if Canon is following Magic Lantern and
> improves their products so that firmware hacks and taking bricking-risks
> with expensive gear is not necessary, I am all for it.
>
> Colin Peart
> cgape...@gmail.com
> >https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201....
> > ..

Colin Peart

Jul 14, 2011, 1:39:40 PM7/14/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Pretty much on the same page here.

I don't for a moment imagine canon will suddenly decide to upgrade the older cameras, but there is a chance they will consider some of the features here for new models in the future.  That isn't a bad thing to protect against.

Even better would be an open camera platform with the support of the manufacturer and availablility of good lenses.  I have seen some university projects doing just that, but nothing that comes close in price/specification ratio for the hardware that the mass production on a Canon scale could do.

If anything, the best thing canon can do is to just leave groups like this alone -- they probably would have some legal basis for tearing this down off the internet, especially if they went venue shopping for a court/legal system that supports their arguments.  If they continue to leave projects like this alone, it costs them nothing, and probably in the end sells cameras.  Heck, even the basic development feature that makes it possible to boot alternate firmware off a card could have been removed from their released firmware or disabled in hardware, so that none of this could happen so easily, with so little risk to bricking the camera.

Cri

Jul 15, 2011, 6:56:44 AM7/15/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys, thanks again for this amazing release. Just something I d like to point it out, you know the instruction manual on the camera itself...it is an amazing idea especially when you are out with no chance to open a pdf file, but...if u find yourself on a dark enviroment and u open up a page the white background of it will make you blind :) i was trying to put one page on photoshop and invert it to make it black background and i saved it. It was not succesfull as when i open that page the camera freeze and need to reboot. Anyone willing to explain how will i invert it with success? If not any way to make that white background a bit darker? Thanks

Cristian Paradiso

Andrew Coutts

Jul 16, 2011, 7:58:11 AM7/16/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I've started to merge the 500d into the unified tree, going to be
working on it today and tomorrow. Hoping this will help move the 500d
forward :)

Andrew Coutts

Jul 16, 2011, 8:20:27 AM7/16/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
By the way: The main tree might need to be modified to accomodate the
500D, specifically bitrate.c

With Alex's help, CBR and VBR work on the 500D, but I had to add a
constant that wasn't an issue in the 60d/550d/600d:
#define MOV_GOP_OPT_STEP 3

And then in bitrate.C, the opt_set() routine is modified like this
(not sure how cleanly this will post):

void opt_set(int num, int den)
{
int i, j;
for (i = 0; i < MOV_RES_AND_FPS_COMBINATIONS; i++) // 3 combinations
of resolution / fps
{
for (j = 0; j < MOV_OPT_NUM_PARAMS; j++)
{
int* opt0 = (int*) &(mvr_config_copy.fullhd_20fps_opt_size_I) + i *
MOV_OPT_STEP + j;
int* opt = (int*) &(mvr_config.fullhd_20fps_opt_size_I) + i *
MOV_OPT_STEP + j;
if (*opt0 < 10000) { bmp_printf(FONT_MED, 0, 380, "opt_set: err!");
return; }
(*opt) = (*opt0) * num / den;
//~ bmp_printf(FONT_MED, 0, 380, "mov_opt opt0: %x", opt);
//~ msleep(1000);
}
for (j = 0; j < MOV_GOP_OPT_NUM_PARAMS; j++)
{
int* opt0 = (int*) &(mvr_config_copy.fullhd_20fps_gop_opt_0) + i *
MOV_GOP_OPT_STEP + j;
int* opt = (int*) &(mvr_config.fullhd_20fps_gop_opt_0) + i *
MOV_GOP_OPT_STEP + j;
if (*opt0 < 10000) { bmp_printf(FONT_MED, 0, 420, "gop_opt_set:
err!"); return; }
(*opt) = (*opt0) * num / den;
//~ bmp_printf(FONT_MED, 0, 400, "mov_gop_opt opt0: %x", opt);
//~ msleep(1000);
}
}
}

Also, although bitrate seemed to be working, attempting to change the
bitrate while recording results in err70 still, i thought I had all of
this fixed up, but maybe not?

Here's the mvr_config struct after fixing up (lots of time in this),
maybe somethings wrong in this?:
struct mvr_config
{
uint16_t debug_flag; // 0x00, 85f4, 1 = write debugmsg's
uint16_t qscale_mode; // 0x02, 85f6, 1 = QScale, 0 = CBR
uint16_t db_filter_a; // 0x04, 85f8, no effect
uint16_t db_filter_b; // 0x06, 85fa, no effect
int16_t def_q_scale; // 0x08, 85fc, works when qscale_mode = 1
int16_t qscale_limit_L; // 0x0a, 85fe
int16_t qscale_limit_H; // 0x0c, 8600
uint16_t time_const; // 0x0e, 8602, unknown
uint32_t fullhd_20fps_opt_size_I; // 0x10, 8604, works when
qscale_mode = 0
uint32_t fullhd_20fps_opt_size_P; // 0x14, 8608
uint32_t fullhd_20fps_D1; // 0x18, 860c
uint32_t fullhd_20fps_D2; // 0x1c, 8610
uint32_t x8610_unknown; // 0x20, 8614
uint32_t hd_30fps_opt_size_I; // 0x24, 8618
uint32_t hd_30fps_opt_size_P; // 0x28, 861c
uint32_t hd_30fps_D1; // 0x2c, 8620
uint32_t hd_30fps_D2; // 0x30, 8624
uint32_t x8624_unknown; // 0x34, 8628
uint32_t vga_30fps_opt_size_I; // 0x38, 862c
uint32_t vga_30fps_opt_size_P; // 0x3c, 8630
uint32_t vga_30fps_D1; // 0x40, 8634
uint32_t vga_30fps_D2; // 0x44, 8638
uint32_t x8638_unknown; // 0x48, 863c
int32_t IniQScale; // 0x4c, 8640
int32_t actual_qscale_maybe; // 0x50, 8644
uint32_t IOptSize; // 0x54, 8648
uint32_t POptSize; // 0x58, 864c
uint32_t IOptSize2; // 0x5c, 8650
uint32_t POptSize2; // 0x60, 8654
uint32_t GopSize; // 0x64, 8658
uint32_t B_zone_NowIndex; // 0x68, 865c
uint32_t gop_opt_array_ptr; // 0x6c, 8660
uint32_t _D1; // 0x70, 8664
uint32_t _D2; // 0x74, 8668
uint32_t x8668_unknown; // 0x78, 866c -- 1080p = 0x9, 720p/480p =
0xE
uint32_t fullhd_20fps_gop_opt_0; // 0x7c, 8670
uint32_t fullhd_20fps_gop_opt_1; // 0x80, 8674
uint32_t fullhd_20fps_gop_opt_2; // 0x84, 8678
uint32_t hd_30fps_gop_opt_0; // 0x88, 867c
uint32_t hd_30fps_gop_opt_1; // 0x8c, 8680
uint32_t hd_30fps_gop_opt_2; // 0x90, 8684
uint32_t vga_30fps_gop_opt_0; // 0x94, 8688
uint32_t vga_30fps_gop_opt_1; // 0x98, 868c
uint32_t vga_30fps_gop_opt_2; // 0x9c, 8690
} __attribute__((aligned,packed));

jacekkitowski

Jul 16, 2011, 8:25:39 AM7/16/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
First of all, thank you for developeing ML, its perfect.

I found a bug? in my 600d. I cant set intervalometer to On/NoWait.
There is only Off and On/Wait. I have HDR and bulb timer off

Scotty

Jul 16, 2011, 3:40:00 PM7/16/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Works on mine. Hit the Q button when it's highlighted and you have it
on, this will toggle between Wait and NoWait.

wildcard

Jul 16, 2011, 3:09:36 PM7/16/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
All I can say is wow! Been following the development and you guys are
something quite special, thanks hey!
I actually went out and bought the 550D after following the
development with the 5D2 and immediately loaded the software 6 months
ago and cant put the cam down!.
Haven't had any problems except the on-board flash not working. Is
this a ML problem as when I load the Canon firmware back on the cam it
works again...weird:0 ??

Malcolm Debono

Jul 16, 2011, 6:10:37 PM7/16/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I'm not very familiar with the 550D since I use the 60D, but to my knowledge the flash button is used as a shortcut, which might be the reason why you cannot use it.

Alex

Jul 16, 2011, 6:17:29 PM7/16/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Flash button is used as a shortcut key only in movie mode.

In photo mode, flash is blocked by placing something on the hot shoe
(a bubble level, a plastic cap or something similar). Flash can also
be enabled/disabled from Canon menu.

Restoring default settings from Canon menu should enable the flash.

wildcard

Jul 17, 2011, 10:31:25 AM7/17/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks Malcolm and Alex for the help but I just cant get it to work.
Ive tried everything when in ML shooting in manual and other creative
modes. Only by re-loading Canon firmware on my 550D I'm afraid... is
anybody else experiencing this? Slight pain although I would normally
use an external flash if needed.

On Jul 17, 12:17 am, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:> Flash
button is used as ashortcut keyonly in movie mode.

JamesCG

Jul 17, 2011, 11:05:51 AM7/17/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Morning all,

I encountered something odd with this latest build and my 550/T2i.
When using the bundled Canon EF-S 18-55 Zoom lens w/ the July 8th 2011
build I noticed that when I manually zoomed the lens I would hear a
clicking from the lens as if the aperture was engaging briefly ever
few seconds. I would restart the camera to try to fix this but the
clicking would begin whenever I zoomed the camera. I had to go back a
build to the June 07 to remove this behavior. Just a note in case
anyone else had encountered this.

ajay krishnan

Jul 17, 2011, 12:50:25 PM7/17/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks again for this awesome software. Just wanted to know if it is
possible for you guys to put in a burst speed of say 15 fps or more at
low resolution say 1 or 2 MP or more in the cam. I had an Olympus SP
590UZ before and there was this function where the camera could take
15 fps at i think 1 or 2 MP. Just wondering if it is possible with ML
and a high speed card. Any how really appreciate your work.

regards
Dr. Ajay Krishnan M.D.
> https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201...https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201...https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201...
>
> Enjoy!

Alex

Jul 17, 2011, 3:57:46 PM7/17/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
> Thanks Malcolm and Alex for the help but I just cant get it to work.
> Ive tried everything when in ML shooting in manual and other creative
> modes. Only by re-loading Canon firmware on my 550D I'm afraid... is
> anybody else experiencing this? Slight pain although I would normally
> use an external flash if needed.

If you are sure it's not a hardware issue, can you try older ML
versions to see which one works with your flash?

You may try one which has the flash/noflash option, and see what ML
shows about flash setting (it should say Flash: ON).

In latest ML version, the only flash-related option is flash exposure
compensation with a wider range (-10...+3 EV), and it's only applied
when you change it from the menu.

> I encountered something odd with this latest build and my 550/T2i.
> When using the bundled Canon EF-S 18-55 Zoom lens w/ the July 8th 2011
> build I noticed that when I manually zoomed the lens I would hear a
> clicking from the lens as if the aperture was engaging briefly ever
> few seconds. I would restart the camera to try to fix this but the

I can reproduce this behavior without ML, with my kit lens. If the
aperture would remain in the same position (mechanically), the
f-number would decrease as you zoom in. The camera opens the aperture
to keep the f-number (more or less) constant; this causes clicking
sounds and flicker.

If the focal length sensor is not accurate, the aperture may go back
and forth a few times.

> Thanks again for this awesome software. Just wanted to know if it is
> possible for you guys to put in a burst speed of say 15 fps or more at
> low resolution say 1 or 2 MP or more in the cam.

Movie recording is done at 24...30fps with around 2 MP ;)

wildcard

Jul 19, 2011, 10:33:54 AM7/19/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Flash seems to be a hardware issue. Will rather have no onboard flash
then have no ML ! Thanks again.
Shot this morning with new Tokina 11-16 with CBR at x 1.5 ::)
http://vimeo.com/26625165

luastoned

Jul 19, 2011, 12:53:58 PM7/19/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
First of all I have to say thank you!

I basically wanted to share a small tip to all 550D owners (I guess).
If you turn off 'LCD auto off' in the wrench-1 menu, you won't be able
to trigger the LCD remote shot.
It took me ages to figure that out so it may help someone in the
future :D

Malcolm Debono

Jul 19, 2011, 2:18:01 PM7/19/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Just gave the latest build of ML an in-depth test run on my 60D, mainly focusing on intervalometer (set at 3s and nowait) and silent picture (fullhd). Didn't encounter any major issues since it worked, but here are some points that are worth mentioning:

- some options are pretty tedious to modify, for example if I want to reduce the intervalometer timing from 5s to 3s I have to go forward through all the other timings since both the Set and the Q button go forward. If I remember well back when there was no in-camera help mapped to the Info button, this button was used to go backward. It would be great if the Q button was mapped to go through the options backwards on items where both the Set and Q buttons have the same function.

- when using single silent picture, both the dim screen and turn off screen after... features worked great without interrupting the timelapse. However once I switched to fullhd silent picture, both of these functions stopped working. Don't know if there's any technical issue behind this, but it's always great to save some battery juice when dealing with timelapses.

- one other thing I noticed when using single silent picture with the turn off screen feature was that at a single moment, the screen turned back on for a few seconds and then went back off during the timelapse. No big deal here but I thought that I'd point it out since I encountered it.

On the whole, this is a pretty stable release. Good job to Alex (being the main dev behind this release), and all the other devs!

Colin Peart

Jul 19, 2011, 8:05:00 PM7/19/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
The play button will go backwards through the options on the 60D.

--Colin
Colin Peart
cgap...@gmail.com

Alex

Jul 20, 2011, 2:27:57 AM7/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I've fixed the wiki documentation script and posted the latest user
guide in wiki format here:

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/UserGuide

Also, there's a script which logs in to wikia and updates this page,
so from now on, the wiki manual will be as up-to-date as the PDF and
in-camera versions.

This makes it easier for you to edit the user guide, so please feel
free to improve it. Probably it's best to add some images for certain
features (e.g. zebras, focus peaking...)

Enjoy!

Malcolm Debono

Jul 20, 2011, 4:03:53 AM7/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! Hadn't noticed that one in the manual!

Doron Farhi

Jul 21, 2011, 6:12:53 PM7/21/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hi Alex,
I am missing the lower row of info (ISO, shutter etc) on my 60D after
installing the new update.
The previous ML version for 60D was showing shutter, iso etc on the
bottom
of the display all the time.
Any Idea how to fix this?
Thanks a lot

ScaryHands

Jul 24, 2011, 8:46:33 AM7/24/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I was trying to install Magic Lantern on my T3i, but unfortunately I
can't.
I even don't know where is the problem. I did this exactly like is in
INSTALL.pdf. I downloaded everything which is needed for T3i/600D.
Unzipped folder is called "magiclantern-2011Jul08.600D.fw101.alex". I
have Original Canon Firmware 1.0.1 on my T3i. I formatted SD card like
it's said in INSTALL.pdf and I do the rest like I should, but I have
only screen which says:
"Firmware update program - Update file cannot be found. Please check
the memory card and reload the battery and try again."
Camera hangs up after that and OFF switch doesn't work.
I did this with Lexar SDXC 64GB 133 Class10 Card. I tied also exactly
same steps with Transcend 4GB SD Card and it made something, but Magic
Lantern wasn't installed. Trying again won't help - it's like that
every time.

I bought T3i 1 week ago on B&H. It works normal.
Did anybody have same problem or can give me advise, how can I get ML
on my T3i?

Thanks for any advice.

SH

Paul Nolan

Jul 24, 2011, 11:47:52 AM7/24/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

> I was trying to install Magic Lantern on my T3i, but unfortunately I
> can't.
> I even don't know where is the problem. I did this exactly like is in
> INSTALL.pdf. I downloaded everything which is needed for T3i/600D.
> Unzipped folder is called "magiclantern-2011Jul08.600D.fw101.alex".

You need to copy the /contents/ of this folder to the root of your SD
card for the files to be in the right place.
--
Paul Nolan, CEO Idruna Software Inc.

Adrien

Jul 24, 2011, 11:45:21 AM7/24/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
As far as i know, you can't install magic lantern with a sdxc card,
but only with a sd/sdhc...
> >https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201......
>
> > Enjoy!

scrax

Jul 25, 2011, 11:59:58 PM7/25/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hitested the last version on 600D with focus Patterns and they works with DISP off after pressin zoom in and halfshutter. Each time the pattern changes it will try to focus in AF and for me it's not an issue. I really loved them on 400plus and I'll use them a lot on the 600D also (the one selected is active even without ML loaded like on the 400plus).
The only issue i have with the last version i think is related to the new bitrate menu, because when i select video menu it hangs before showing the MovieModeRemap line (note: I've downloaded the dropbox recompiled version).
Also all other new feat works like in INFO I can see the new shutter counter, I can change ALO std low strong, DISP Profiles are working.
This focus patterns things is great for me, thank's again.

scrax

Jul 26, 2011, 6:04:58 AM7/26/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Video menu working ok again with the latest dropbox rev (2011/7/26)

niklasR

Jul 26, 2011, 7:00:51 AM7/26/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hi,
sorry for the question, but how can I connect to this dropbox?

Niklas

Alex

Jul 26, 2011, 10:03:11 AM7/26/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Scrax is testing the very latest builds, which can be obtained by
compiling the source code from the Mercurial repository.

I upload these builds to my Dropbox account for early testers; this
should result in more stable releases... in theory :)

If anyone would like to run some bleeding edge code, please let me know.

Chris71

Jul 26, 2011, 1:12:30 PM7/26/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Are those latest builds the files at
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4124919/bleeding-edge/550d/autoexec.bin
and
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4124919/bleeding-edge/60d/autoexec.bin
or are there also zip-archives of the latest builds which also contain
the other files?

Alex

Jul 26, 2011, 1:20:53 PM7/26/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Yes, they are here. Sometimes there's valid code at those addresses,
other times there's not. Just don't get scared if you see the entire
screen full of hexdumps :)

I didn't build the full archives yet; there are a few issues which I
want to fix before the next release.

simone

Jul 26, 2011, 7:30:33 AM7/26/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
mmm why not just show a sec of movie?

Chris71

Jul 26, 2011, 4:50:27 PM7/26/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I tried the recent bleeding edge build and saw that in live view the
bottom status line is currently not working, so I guess that's one of
the issues you are working on to fix!?

For now, I switched back to the July 8th build and I will be patiently
waiting for your next "official" release. :-)

But I had an idea for a new feature which might be handy: Would it be
possible to switch between a couple of different autoexec.bin files
that are stored on the SD card, so that one could try and compare some
of the latest builds without taking the SD card out?

This could e.g. be implemented by naming the different builds
autoexec.b01, autoexec.b02 and so on and of course having one
autoexec.bin on the SD card. When choosing e.g. build 02 from menu, ML
could simply overwrite autoexec.bin on the SD card by autoexec.b02,
thus starting the other build when turning the camera off and on.

Instead of numbering the different builds, it would be even better if
they were named after the date of creation, e.g. 20110708.bin and
20110726.bin.

Alex

Jul 26, 2011, 5:15:15 PM7/26/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Bottom bar should work, but I didn't test the bleeding edge on 550D
yet. When I upload to dropbox, it compiles the code for all the
cameras.

Your idea would require some kind of a master autoexec.bin working as
bootloader. I also thought at some bootloader which would detect the
camera firmware (550D, 60D, 600D, 500D, 5D2) and load the right binary
(either named by the camera model/version, or in a separate
subfolder). For now, I was only able to freeze the camera with my
attempts.

Other ideas: take a look at Rockbox. They support a dozen of MP3
players, and they have a single installer (but a separate manual for
each device).

http://www.rockbox.org/download/
http://www.rockbox.org/manual.shtml

I'm also thinking at some kind of automatic build server, like the CHDK one.
http://mighty-hoernsche.de/

Chris71

Jul 26, 2011, 5:35:21 PM7/26/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I'm sorry, but the bottom status bar currently isn't working on my
550D (neither in live view nor in video mode), I just tried it again
after downloading the latest autoexec.bin from your dropbox. With the
July 8th build, it is working, I double checked again.

Ah, Rockbox! I still use it on my good old Archos Jukebox Recorder.
However, I never used the single installer but always install it by
hand, since I modded my MP3 Recorder to 8MB RAM and this version is
not one of the main builds of Rockbox.

The suggestion in my previous post would not require a bootloader but
just renaming or overwriting files on the SD card. Of course, a
bootloader would have even more advantages, as you pointed out.

On 26 Jul., 23:15, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bottom bar should work, but I didn't test the bleeding edge on 550D
> yet. When I upload to dropbox, it compiles the code for all the
> cameras.
>
> Your idea would require some kind of a master autoexec.bin working as
> bootloader. I also thought at some bootloader which would detect the
> camera firmware (550D, 60D, 600D, 500D, 5D2) and load the right binary
> (either named by the camera model/version, or in a separate
> subfolder). For now, I was only able to freeze the camera with my
> attempts.
>
> Other ideas: take a look at Rockbox. They support a dozen of MP3
> players, and they have a single installer (but a separate manual for
> each device).
>
> http://www.rockbox.org/download/http://www.rockbox.org/manual.shtml
>
> I'm also thinking at some kind of automatic build server, like the CHDK one.http://mighty-hoernsche.de/

scrax

Jul 26, 2011, 10:57:41 PM7/26/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Maybe a file browser/editor like in chdk can do what you suggest and also it will be useful to manage the files on the card (not really sure if this can be of some utility). On chdk it's used to develop raw file to jpg for example. I used it only to delete some finder's garbage files..

Alex

Jul 27, 2011, 1:56:34 AM7/27/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
> The suggestion in my previous post would not require a bootloader but
> just renaming or overwriting files on the SD card. Of course, a
> bootloader would have even more advantages, as you pointed out.

The camera can only boot from B:/autoexec.bin (this is hardcoded in
the firmware).

It would be possible to rename/overwrite files from Magic Lantern
menu, but as soon as you will select an older autoexec.bin, you will
be stuck with that.

Marcin Konopski

Jul 27, 2011, 2:09:14 AM7/27/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello.

Where can I ask questions about ML 550D version from this Unified tree?

In 550D release Turn off display: OFF / after X seconds doesn't work.

Best Regards.
Marcin Konopski
marcin....@gmail.com

Alex

Jul 27, 2011, 2:14:30 AM7/27/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
It works for me (movie auto/manual, photo M/Av), so tell me how to reproduce.

What about the other two power saving options? Do they work or not?

Marcin Konopski

Jul 27, 2011, 2:21:30 AM7/27/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Dim display: OFF / after X seconds doesn't work too.
I'm talking about Movie mode.
I will do some test later, because i don't have my camera now.

Alex

Jul 27, 2011, 2:56:43 AM7/27/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Marcin,

Download this autoexec.bin, set "turn off display after 5 seconds" and
tell me what does the top left number show.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4124919/bleeding-edge/550d/autoexec.bin

When you press any button, the number should become 50, and countdown
to 0. When it reaches 0, it should turn the display off. Sometimes it
may get tricked by changes in exposure (ML may believe they are button
presses, since they both go through gui_main_task).

Chris71,

Download the same version and tell me the other numbers, and whether
you see a "bbar" somewhere in the middle of the screen, or not.

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Marcin Konopski

mohan manu

Jul 27, 2011, 12:45:02 PM7/27/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi alex,
Loaded the new build. Its awesome. But one thing i noticed is the power saving feature. All of them should be disabled while on recording. It doesn't make any sense if the camera LCD display switches of after 10 seconds while recording right?

Regards

Mohan

Alex

Jul 27, 2011, 12:49:39 PM7/27/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
In theory, it should save a bit of power and let you record more or
prevent overheating. Only the display is turned off, not the sensor.

Tip: on 550D you can bring the display back on by putting your hand
near the LCD sensor.

For even more power saving in LiveView while not recording (and also
in photo mode), probably it would make sense an option which goes to
Play or Menu mode and then turns off the display. I believe this will
turn off the sensor, too. What do you think?

Chris71

Jul 27, 2011, 1:13:20 PM7/27/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development

> It would be possible to rename/overwrite files from Magic Lantern
> menu, but as soon as you will select an older autoexec.bin, you will
> be stuck with that.

Thats correct, but just as long as the older autoexec.bin doesn't
support this renaming/overwriting of autoexec.bin files.

So this method could be used with all versions beginning with the
first one that supports it.

Chris71

Jul 27, 2011, 1:21:55 PM7/27/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
> Chris71,
>
> Download the same version and tell me the other numbers, and whether
> you see a "bbar" somewhere in the middle of the screen, or not.

The top left number is counting from 50 to 0, when "turn off display
after 5 seconds" is set. At 0, the display turns off.

The other numbers below this top left number are "0 0 0". Is this what
you mean?

There is a bbar in the middle of the screen and with this version, the
bottom bar itself is also displayed again, both in LiveView and in
Video mode.

Alex

Jul 27, 2011, 1:37:24 PM7/27/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
That's how it should work. If you can make the bottom bar disappear,
or "display off" not to work, tell me the numbers.

I've only added these debug messages to the existing code.

Scotty

Jul 27, 2011, 2:01:27 PM7/27/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Would it be possible to have a separate group of options for those
power saving features while recording and while not recording? That
way you could set up different times for the backlight/LCD to shut off
depending on whether you're recording or not. That would give a whole
lot more flexibility and give people the option to keep everything on
while recording but power save when not recording.

Alex

Jul 27, 2011, 2:26:07 PM7/27/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
It could be an option, and it could be extended to different power
settings for LiveView photo mode, non-LiveView photo mode, video mode
non-recording and video mode recording. But it will also make ML more
confusing (the menu is already cluttered).

An option would be to include these settings in display profiles.
Experimental builds can already toggle picture style in this way (this
behavior can be enabled/disabled from Tweaks menu).

I'm not sure which is the best way to balance between extreme
customizability and ease of use / low complexity and memory usage, so
I'd be happy to hear your opinions.

Marcin Konopski

Jul 27, 2011, 2:54:14 PM7/27/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex.

I have switched ClearScreen: HalfShuter / OFF and press * button few times, and now Power Saving option works fine.
Very bizzare, but maybe it was some hangover in cfg or something?

Best Regards.
Marcin Konopski
marcin....@gmail.com

2011/7/27 Alex <broscu...@gmail.com>
It could be an option, and it could be extended to different power

Alex

Jul 27, 2011, 2:55:45 PM7/27/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
If you can find a way to reproduce the bug, please let me know.

Scotty

Jul 27, 2011, 3:47:33 PM7/27/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Could those settings be specific for whichever mode you were currently
in; photo or video? That way only the appropriate setting would be
available to you in that mode, but located in the same spot in the ML
menu.

mohan manu

Jul 29, 2011, 12:41:34 AM7/29/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Yup. While not recording a button would be beneficial for us. :).
One more bug i found. The cropmarks dissapear while recording, (24fps) and the canon's white balance, color profile left side menu doesn't dissapear while recording, previously it was working though (may build).

2011/7/27 Alex <broscu...@gmail.com>
It is loading more messages.