Unified Development 5D2: Test Results

Jordy Vandeput

Dec 27, 2011, 5:33:28 PM12/27/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hey guys,

Alex sent me the unified for the 5D for testing, so I did test it.
All the results can be found in this rapport:
http://www.yapperdesign.com/uploads/ML22_12_5D2_TEST.pdf

I hope it's clear and useful. After using every function in every
possible way, putting the camera under big stress for 9 hours, I only
had 2 lockups. A lot of stuff worked which I was very impressed by,
because it's a closed beta.

I have to say that this closed beta is ready for use on the field. The
functions that you really NEED, WORKS :-)

Good job with the development!

Merry Christmas and soon a happy new year everyone!

Jordy Vandeput

Jordy Vandeput

Dec 27, 2011, 5:41:37 PM12/27/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Forgot to mention that formatting the card was also a success. It
backs up all the ML files and restores them :-)

Moira O'Brien LIPF

Dec 27, 2011, 8:04:48 PM12/27/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Jordy, the link doesn't work - says Page Can't be Found.

Moira

Jordy Vandeput

--
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

Jim Noetzel

Dec 27, 2011, 7:47:02 PM12/27/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Were you able to get the movie log function to work?

All in all - love this build, focus peaking is especially helpful.

Jordy Vandeput

Dec 28, 2011, 8:26:06 AM12/28/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I'm sorry, my php script removed the file accidentally. You can click
on the link now.
Every function and some extra's have been tested :-)

John Veto

Dec 28, 2011, 8:58:55 AM12/28/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks Jordy for taking the time to write up your test results!

Moira O'Brien LIPF

Dec 28, 2011, 6:34:58 PM12/28/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Excellent write up Jordy - many thanks, it is most helpful and will save me a lot of testing time.  I will also be more confident to use this build in a live shot now.

regards

Moira

Leonard Koch

Dec 29, 2011, 3:38:28 PM12/29/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Good job man. Things like this really expedite development!

Brian Matiash

Dec 29, 2011, 4:18:46 PM12/29/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Jordy,

The test plan was great - I found that most results were consistent
with my 5D II testing.

I did have one question regarding bracketing with a camera that has a
physical bulb. Is there a workaround for completing a bracket sequence
when any of the exposures are greater than 30 seconds?

For example, if you set a 9 exp sequence and your mid-range exposure
is 2.5 seconds, the longest exposure will greater than 30 seconds.
This won't work in Manual mode because of the 30 second limitation. A
viable solution would be to build logic to pause the sequence when an
exposure exceeds 30 seconds. In that instance, a message would appear
on the LCD instructing the user to switch to Bulb mode and press the
set key (for example) to resume.

It's the last item that would really seal the deal for me.

Thanks,

Brian

Jordy Vandeput

Dec 31, 2011, 7:50:24 AM12/31/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Have you or anyone else tried out the bitrate control?
I just got my new 600x card and I'm not able to get higher then 45Mbit/
sec. CBR 1x, CBR 3x or values between give me all around 45Mbit/sec.

I saw a thread about AJ5.6 version where people could reach 70Mbit/sec
with CBR 160% or 1.6x

I do see a clear visual and bitrate difference when I go bellow CBR
1x, so it is working somehow.

Jordy

On 29 dec, 00:34, "Moira O'Brien LIPF" <mo...@moiraobrien.com> wrote:
> Excellent write up Jordy - many thanks, it is most helpful and will save me
> a lot of testing time.  I will also be more confident to use this build in
> a live shot now.
>
> regards
>
> Moira

Jordy Vandeput

Dec 31, 2011, 8:02:34 AM12/31/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hmm okay this is weird. I tested it with the "neutral" picture style
and now I am able to get higher bitrates. When set to 1.8x I got
67Mbit/sec. When set to 2.0x I got 53Mbit/sec. And that's the weird
part..

And since I'm not seeing much visual difference. Is there besides the
bitrate anything different between 1x or 3x ?

cacasodo

Jan 1, 2012, 10:49:05 AM1/1/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Jordy,
I went the reverse direction and only tested lowering the bitrate to
get longer record times. I was able to lower the CBR to .5 to acheive
29m59s record lengths.

'sodo

On Dec 31 2011, 8:02 am, Jordy Vandeput <jo...@yapperdesign.com>

Moira O'Brien LIPF

Jan 2, 2012, 1:10:48 PM1/2/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I have been doing a bit more testing and have come up with these issues not mentioned in Jordy's comprehensive list.  I am using the original 5D port as I could not see how to load the Dec22 version.

  • after changing various menu items I get "opt_set: err!" showing on the screen.  Removing every single option does not get rid of the message.
  • when reaching the file limit (either 4GB or 30 minutes) the camera switches off.
  • Focus peaking working but not easy to use
  • Magic Zoom box flashes about 7 times a second - not usable
  • Split screen not working
  • When taking stills (ie not in Live View) red light flashes every 5 seconds
  • Still not sure which button is equivalent to 'Q' button
  • Taking still photos with ML loaded works perfectly - many thanks for this!
  • Booting without loading ML by half pressing shutter does not work.

I have the following suggestions for improvements for the 5DMk2:

  • Menu item increase/decrease using the big wheel
  • Option to swap big wheel and small wheel shooting functions (to be same as 7D)
  • It would be very handy if there was a global draw option to keep audio meters and crop marks on screen.

I echo others by saying "AWESOME".

regards

Moira

My profiles: Facebook Twitter
Contact me: Skype moirajane
Twitter Latest tweet: Just back from a late night 1.5 mile dog walk & the temperature is still a balmy 12C. We had no summer & it seems no winter either. Follow @MOBPhoto Reply Retweet   02:31 Dec-26

My profiles: Facebook Twitter
Contact me: Skype moirajane
Twitter Latest tweet: Just back from a late night 1.5 mile dog walk & the temperature is still a balmy 12C. We had no summer & it seems no winter either. Follow @MOBPhoto Reply Retweet   02:31 Dec-26

My profiles: Facebook Twitter
Contact me: Skype moirajane
Twitter Latest tweet: Just back from a late night 1.5 mile dog walk & the temperature is still a balmy 12C. We had no summer & it seems no winter either. Follow @MOBPhoto Reply Retweet   02:31 Dec-26

Jordy Vandeput

Jan 5, 2012, 1:30:32 PM1/5/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I've been doing some tests with my new Transcend 600x 16G card and I
have many corrupted video files.
Anyone else have problems with this?

Alex

Jan 14, 2012, 4:32:33 PM1/14/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Here's a quick preview of what I'm working on.

Most bugs reported by Jordy and others were fixed, so I think it's time for a second round of testing.

Aside from fixes, I'll let you discover what's new. If you don't guess.. don't worry, I'll tell you later :)
Or maybe look here: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/changesets

This autoexec works on 5D2 2.1.1 (if you already have the Unified ML installed) and the other well-known small cameras. So we may say it's still a closed beta, or just a preview of what follows.

Issues from Jordy which were not addressed:

- Balanced audio: could not reproduce (signal was correct as far as I could tell).
- Mic power: it only works with some special types of mic ( http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel/msg/ec4ec000a7b1a32a )
- Disabling audio monitoring while HDMI is connected: if you do this, the video signal will be redirected to the A/V jack. I don't consider this a bug.
- ISO 12800: works for me.
- Aperture: this is difficult to fix. I could use Canon's approximation, but break exposure override mode.
- Aperture changing when selecting 1/25: this is a mistery in Canon's aperture implementation; I don't know how to fix it.
- Stripes with exposure override: I didn't see any.

Stay tuned, some great developments will follow. But first I want to have a stable port on 5D2 (current priority) and all other cameras currently supported.
autoexec.bin

ba...@aol.com

Jan 14, 2012, 4:47:29 PM1/14/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

Sent from my android device.

Giovanni Di Cello

Jan 14, 2012, 5:01:13 PM1/14/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
5D2 only?
Looks too big to be just for it.
:)

Alex

Jan 14, 2012, 5:03:46 PM1/14/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
... and the other well-known small cameras ;)

Giovanni Di Cello

Jan 14, 2012, 5:05:36 PM1/14/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
50D is not that small :D
Testing it now :D

Kevin Anderson

Jan 14, 2012, 5:07:53 PM1/14/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development, Alex
Alex, Is the version you sent me or a newer one?

Kevin Anderson

  the Art of Visual Storytelling...

Kevin Anderson Photography
6890 E. Sunrise Dr. Ste 120- 355
Tucson, AZ 85750

Giovanni Di Cello

Jan 14, 2012, 5:23:14 PM1/14/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Is it normal that i can't change the fps before entering LV?
I thought the problem was solved but i could be wrong.
Also, i can select higher fps values even if they aren't available.

Alex

Jan 14, 2012, 5:31:54 PM1/14/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
In 5D it works; maybe it's intermittent?

Giovanni Di Cello

Jan 14, 2012, 5:43:40 PM1/14/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
It locks the camera completely, i have to pull the battery out.
Also, i don't see a fps indicator on screen, it would be nice if it
showed up.
Check this out too.
The ML black bar needs another pixel in height.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1087972/ML/black_bar.zip

M.v.M.

Jan 14, 2012, 7:43:00 PM1/14/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

Hi Alex, this 12 ASA ist a very smart idea :-), and it works : D
FPS is now going down to 4 here with a 360� nice and usable together with the 12 ASA another : D
When turning off Sound I do not get any buffer problems now in 4FPS mode.
Funny is that one cannot review these clips unless one closes Liveview and restarts it..
when we are at 12 ASA pictures taken are not following our settings anymore, strange timings etc

Overall another big step forward

Thanks for your time and work

Matthias

M.v.M.

Jan 14, 2012, 7:43:00 PM1/14/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

Alex

Jan 15, 2012, 2:18:59 AM1/15/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hi Matthias,

12 ISO works, but it clips the highlights much earlier, it's
effectively ISO 100 darkened.

With a low display gain (-0.1 or -0.2) I did notice a few extra
highlight detail, compared to ISO 100, at Neutral 0,-4,-4,0. Also, if
one color channel is clipped (for saturated colors), lowering display
gain seems to help a lot.

Pictures are taken at ISO 100 (display gain is not applied to them). I
didn't notice any other strange problems.

Playback of 4fps clips also works after turning off FPS override (no
need to close LiveView).

On Jan 15, 2:43 am, "M.v.M." <Matthias_von_mut...@t-online.de> wrote:
> Hi Alex, this 12 ASA ist a very smart idea :-), and it works : D
> FPS is now going down to 4 here with a 360� nice and usable together

coffe...@yahoo.com

Jan 14, 2012, 6:27:36 PM1/14/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Any update on what the highest fps is on the 5D?

On Jan 14, 4:43 pm, Giovanni Di Cello <giovannidice...@gmail.com>

Alex

Jan 15, 2012, 3:47:26 AM1/15/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Yes, 29.97 fps in NTSC, 25.000 fps in PAL.

On Jan 15, 1:27 am, "coffeefo...@yahoo.com" <coffeefo...@yahoo.com>

juliuskarli

Jan 15, 2012, 7:09:19 PM1/15/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hey Alex.

I have a 5DMII. However, i am trying to test the FPS override
function. But when viewing the file on my mac, quicktime always says,
that this file has 25fps. did i get something wrong with this feature?
i tought fps override means, that i get "more frames a second". (i
know that this has a limited end)

and i can not change the shutter to "fixed". it always jumps back to
"linked to fps".

all the other features are perfect for me - big up!
>  autoexec.bin
> 1739KAnzeigenHerunterladen

Alex

Jan 16, 2012, 3:50:25 AM1/16/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Julius,

In 5D, FPS can only go lower than standard FPS, not higher. And the video header is not altered (for example, it records at 10fps and plays back at 25). Easy to fix in post.

Also, in all cameras older than 60D, shutter speed mode (fixed or linked to fps) is read-only.

OnceUponATimeInBrooklyn

Jan 16, 2012, 3:18:32 AM1/16/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Jordy I found out almost the same values at bit rate setting as you
initially with a Sandisk Extreme 32gb 60mb/s card.
I first was able to write 3x CBR
then 2 days later would crash at even 2.5x
Even 1.5 - 1.6x was unstable
I found the values on the corner window consistent though, I would
match them when later when I placed into 5DtoRGB and it would display
the bitrate.
Any luck with the new 90mb/s card?
I am considering a Sandisk 16mb

On Dec 31 2011, 7:50 am, Jordy Vandeput <jo...@yapperdesign.com>

OnceUponATimeInBrooklyn

Jan 16, 2012, 3:21:39 AM1/16/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Alex
do I just replace the original autoexec.bin with this newer one in the
ML 5D2 Unified preview folder?
>  autoexec.bin
> 1739KViewDownload

Alex

Jan 16, 2012, 8:19:35 AM1/16/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Yes, just replace the autoexec.

Docs may be slightly outdated; for a few items (like rack focus and ISO), menus were adjusted a bit.

If you look at bitrate item in menu, it says "up to 3x". That is, depending on scene complexity, you may get any bitrate up to around 135Mb/s. What you set in ML menu is only the upper limit (that is, you won't get it higher than that).

OnceUponATimeInBrooklyn

Jan 16, 2012, 10:21:53 AM1/16/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thank you very much Alex

Would you recommend a faster card than Sandisk Extreme 32gb 60mb/s
card?

for example Sandisk Extreme 32gb 90mb/s card?

or does the card no matter
but only if the buffer overflows?

What is the maximum stable bitrate that you have reached or that you
would recommend?

Giovanni Di Cello

Jan 16, 2012, 11:46:14 AM1/16/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I had 120000kbps with my 50D which uses CF cards for 11 seconds.
I also had 144000kpbs with a -16 VBR settings for just 3 seconds.
I guess the two cameras are similar in this aspect.
My card is a Transcend 400x 8gb card, 60 Mb/s read and 30 Mb/s write.

Chris71

Jan 16, 2012, 3:35:43 PM1/16/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Would it be possible to alter the video header by ML directly after
the video has been taken so that it contains the right FPS?
Message has been deleted

SnakeSchitt

Jan 23, 2012, 6:23:20 AM1/23/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hy @ all,
How can I become a tester? I would like to represent Germany in the
test time too. :)

Thx.
SnakeSchitt

paulz...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2012, 10:57:47 AM1/23/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hi,
I would like to test the Unified version for the 5dM2. I made a
donation on paypal a few days ago, but didn't find any links to the
beta. Is there another way to get it?
Thanks,

SnakeSchitt

Feb 22, 2012, 8:01:12 AM2/22/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Today I donated to and got no link or download. How does it work?
SnakeSchitt

Milan Drobný

Feb 25, 2012, 5:33:13 AM2/25/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hi Alex,

It isn't even possible to crop a part from the FF senzor and capture
only that with higher FPS? (you know like RED & etc. does)
From my observing videos about new ML on the internet, i have one
question..would it be possible to make a setting to show on the screen
only half of the fps when shooting HDR? mean like only these frames
with same exposure..

BTW: I'm student of photography from Czech republic and i'm really
interested in testing unified firmware,but i dont have paypal..is
there any possibility how to donate few bucks directly to a bank
account?
sorry for my english
Thanks