Mraw + Sraw Working !!

pip

Jul 27, 2011, 6:27:23 PM7/27/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Well seems I have it working here of sorts, I can view all sraw and
mraw photos taken with my 550d and ML using a rolled back version
magiclantern-2011May24.550d.fw109.alex and installing the new Raw
codec pack from Microsoft which is here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26829,
files are only viewable in explorer though when opening in PS or
Lightroom we still have the same problem of not being recognised but
may go some way to understanding how we can now fix this.....
Message has been deleted

Chris71

Jul 27, 2011, 7:04:29 PM7/27/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I don't want to diminish your enthusiasm, but there probably is quite
an easy explanation for the kind of working mRAW and sRAW files:

From what I analyzed, those formats also contain a full JPEG of the
same picture.

Because of this it already was possible to view them with the
FastStone Image Viewer.

There are one or two things you could test with the MS RAW codec to
find out if it displays the RAW or the JPEG part of the m/sRAW files.

1. Do the images that you can display via this codec have a reduced
resolution (which would be normal for mRAW and sRAW) or do they have
the full 5184x3456 resolution? If the latter is the case, then most
likely just the JPEG part is being displayed (like it is with
FastStone Image Viewer).

2. Do the images have a better color depth than JPEG, e.g. is there
some headroom when brightening the image? (To test this, there would
have to be a image processing program that supports the MS Raw codec,
but I don't know if there is any.)

Please report back what you find out. I also would like to see m/sRAW
working properly on the 550D.

On 28 Jul., 00:27, pip <pete.scha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well seems I have it working here of sorts, I can view all sraw and
> mraw photos taken with my 550d and ML using a rolled back version
> magiclantern-2011May24.550d.fw109.alex and installing the new Raw
> codec pack from Microsoft which is herehttp://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26829,

Aquillum

Jul 28, 2011, 11:32:34 AM7/28/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Sorry I can not confirm that the new 64bit MS Codec Pack works on mRAW
or sRAW.
I tried both the 12 and 24 May of ML with the Codec but it cant be
viewed in Explorer or WindowsLive. (Unknown Format)
Sure you had the right files (~10MB or 15MB) and not the native RAW
files ?
Any other hints ?

Theres is an WIC plugin for photoshop
http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/bin/WICAcquirePlugIn-ALPHA.zip
so if its working for you you could try to import the CR2's to
Photoshop.

There are also Gudilines from MS
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463501
but thats all out of my league

Greets Harry

On 28 Jul., 00:27, pip <pete.scha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well seems I have it working here of sorts, I can view all sraw and
> mraw photos taken with my 550d and ML using a rolled back version
> magiclantern-2011May24.550d.fw109.alex and installing the new Raw
> codec pack from Microsoft which is herehttp://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26829,

pip

Jul 28, 2011, 4:41:43 PM7/28/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Seems your right Chris, it only is the jpg that is being displayed,
after further investigation, but when I try to open it in windows
photo viewer the image comes up im guessing a jpg then tries to load a
the sraw, this displays but is distorted, that got me thinking that
maybe its reading some settings wrong within the container, do you
have any original mraw and sraw photos taken with a canon camera that
natively supports it, I would like to have a look and see if i can see
work this out

thanks :)

On Jul 28, 4:32 pm, Aquillum <ad...@aquillum.co.cc> wrote:
> Sorry I can not confirm that the new 64bit MS Codec Pack works on mRAW
> or sRAW.
> I tried both the 12 and 24 May of ML with the Codec but it cant be
> viewed in Explorer or WindowsLive. (Unknown Format)
> Sure you had the right files (~10MB or 15MB) and not the native RAW
> files ?
> Any other hints ?
>
> Theres is an WIC plugin for photoshophttp://www.fastpictureviewer.com/bin/WICAcquirePlugIn-ALPHA.zip
> so if its working for you you could try to import the CR2's to
> Photoshop.
>
> There are also Gudilines from MShttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463501

Chris71

Jul 28, 2011, 5:34:10 PM7/28/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Alex has uploaded one mRAW and one sRAW picture from the 60D in this
thread: http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel/browse_frm/thread/323c03646976e9d

It's in the 13th post, but the files aren't up anymore.

Since Alex already posted them, I think it's OK if I upload them
again.

You now can find them at http://ul.to/k44g1pqh packed in a single zip
file.

The things that I found out you can find in the above mentioned
thread, especially in the 18th post.

Honestly, I didn't look further into this matter since then, so if you
could find out something more that could eventually lead to working m/
sRAWs, this would be great!

Chris

Loo

Jul 29, 2011, 9:49:31 AM7/29/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Here's my experience with this issue.

The RAW files I got before installing ML (May 24th build) on my 550D could be opened with PS CS4 Extended.  After the ML install I kept getting the error message I'm sure everyone else is getting
             "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document."

I thought this error was due to some corrupted PS file so I uninstalled and then re-installed PS CS4 Ext.  I also made sure I had the latest Adobe Photoshop Camera RAW plugin "5.6.0.148" and I still had no luck.  All that time I didn't occur to me that it could be ML related.  Once I saw that others were also experiencing the same problem, I decided to do a test using my wife's non-ML 550D and PS CS4 Extended.

Her camera and my camera are identical in every regard except that she does not have ML installed.  RAW shots taken with her camera cannot be opened either.

I am thoroughly confused by this issue.

--
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

-Lu

Chucho

Jul 29, 2011, 2:59:12 PM7/29/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Can someone post a sRaw, mRaw file from a 550d.

Chris71

Jul 29, 2011, 4:49:55 PM7/29/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I uploaded a zip file with one mRAW and one sRAW file from the 550D at
http://ul.to/pnq7qsp7

pip

Jul 30, 2011, 4:15:49 AM7/30/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks Chris for your upload I will be busy for most of the weekend me
thinks, my findings so far is that the exif data on 550D differs a
fair bit from the 60D versions, the best route I think to progress is
if I can fool whatever Raw reading software into thinking an original
550d Mraw or Sraw is say taken on a 60D, this means adding extra 60D
data that isnt present in the 550d Sraw and Mraw files and see how it
goes from there, Im pretty hopeful to getting this fixed as I can see
a corrupted pic when a sraw 550d pic loads in MS photoviewer, Im
guessing its missing some scaling info somewhere, Im not sure if say
Alex could then add the extra info in ML when a Sraw and Mraw is taken
on a 550d or not though, Alex is it possible ??

On Jul 29, 9:49 pm, Chris71 <niedeg...@gmx.net> wrote:
> I uploaded a zip file with one mRAW and one sRAW file from the 550D athttp://ul.to/pnq7qsp7

Chris71

Jul 30, 2011, 6:09:56 AM7/30/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hi Pip,

as a starting point, I'd suggest my posting at
http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel/msg/5ecb950bcf24cc3c , since I
already tested some things. From what I found out, it would make sense
to concentrate on the actual RAW data (i.e. the IFD#3 strip data) of
the 550D files.

Good luck
Chris