Ubuntu 10.04 vm with ML build environment available

cacasodo

Jan 16, 2011, 4:19:36 PM1/16/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Guys,
Because installing the toolchain for the Magic Lantern firmware is
such a pain, I created an Ubuntu VMware virtual machine for that
express purpose. Hopefully, it will get people up and running with
firmware development more quickly than if they had to build the
toolchain themselves. The idea is that once you install the VM, all
you'll have to do is update the ML code in the build directory to the
latest version, type "make clean; make" and the firmware will compile
for you. I've successfully built 5D ML firmware using the VM.

I used Ubuntu 10.04 alternate CD as the basis for the vm. After
installing all the dependencies for ML using the instructions here:
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Build_instructions/550D

the VMware vmdk file bloats to 3.5GB. It's not slim, but it spins up
really fast because there are hardly any services running on it. The
gzipped tar is only 1.3GB.

I installed a minimal X server, so that people can use a windowed
environment instead of just the command line. FluxBox and Openbox are
the installed window managers. I also installed Chrome if you need to
use a web browser.

As I've uploaded this VM to my webhost, please email me at the email
address in my profile if you want access to it and I will send you the
authentication and password information.

'sodo

JeremyOne

Jan 18, 2011, 1:30:52 PM1/18/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Does anyone have interest in a web-based build server? Most of my
programming experience is in web applications, and now that there is a
working VM I could easily write a web interface for compiling.

A user would supply:
Mercurial source code path

And the server would return:
Links to built binary files
Debug log

Let me know if you would like to use such a service. If there are more
then a few people I will build it.

Jeremy