Magic Lantern Unified - anniversary update

Alex

Dec 12, 2011, 4:24:12 PM12/12/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Today is a big day for Magic Lantern :)

Exactly one year ago, the original 5D Magic Lantern from Trammell Hudson was ported on 550D: http://vimeo.com/17786851

So... let's see how Magic Lantern has grown up after one year:

- Currently running on 550D/T2i, 60D, 600D/T3i, 500D/T1i and 50D. Very soon, it will be working on 5D Mark II and 1100D!
- User interface is evolving to be more self-explanatory and intuitive.
- The most often used essentials have been polished and refined.
- External monitors are working very well, thanks to SmallHD.
- Dedicated playback features such as very fast zoom, HDR preview, and exposure analysis; in-camera convenience has been taken seriously - check the PLAY menu.
- And even some things which we thought to be impossible (1/25s and 1/8000s in video mode, movie recording on 50D, FPS control on 60D/600D, manual exposure controls on 500D...)

If you are curious about stability:

- I haven't had a crash on my cameras during the last two months, and I've tested many experimental versions.
- There are built-in stability tests which you can run yourself (I'm running them before I release every experimental update).
- Unified ML port for 5D2 is reported to be very stable by early testers, even on HDMI (this port was done without having this camera in my hands!)

Battery life:

- In my tests, ML only draws 5% more power under heavy load.
- Timelapse in silent mode: I shot 3640 photos, 1 every 5 seconds on the 550D, the battery lasted 5 hours (with Powersave turned on).

There are still some rough edges on cameras I don't own (600D, 500D, 50D), but with your help, these will be ironed out pretty soon.

Thanks to everyone for making this possible!

==========
 DOWNLOAD
==========
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-2011Dec12.550D.60D.600D.50D.500D.zip

P.S. You can help ML development by clicking here: http://goo.gl/79JgB :)

submenu.png

Giovanni Di Cello

Dec 12, 2011, 4:29:43 PM12/12/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Cheers!
:)

daniel thissen

Dec 12, 2011, 6:11:56 PM12/12/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
gracias!!

2011/12/12 Giovanni Di Cello <giovann...@gmail.com>
Cheers!
:)

--
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

Neil Camara

Dec 12, 2011, 6:54:25 PM12/12/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
You are the man, Alex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for your hard work! :)

Dremelv21

Dec 12, 2011, 8:25:54 PM12/12/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Alex, you are my best friend!!!

Thanks for all!

> ==========https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201...

> P.S. You can help ML development by clicking here:http://goo.gl/79JgB:)
>

>  submenu.png
> 9KViewDownload

Loo

Dec 12, 2011, 8:33:22 PM12/12/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Huzzah!

--
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

-Lu

Peter Scharff

Dec 13, 2011, 2:31:22 AM12/13/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

One word Alex, and just wow! Thanks for all your efforts and hard work throughout the year, and may Santa bring you a new 5d maybe :)

Randles

Dec 13, 2011, 2:51:02 AM12/13/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks for all your hard work Alex

On Dec 13, 7:31 am, Peter Scharff <pe...@pipinq.com> wrote:
> One word Alex, and just wow! Thanks for all your efforts and hard work
> throughout the year, and may Santa bring you a new 5d maybe :)

> On Dec 13, 2011 1:33 AM, "Loo" <loomarti...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Huzzah!
>

> >http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel?hl=en- Hide quoted text -

Randles

Dec 13, 2011, 2:55:08 AM12/13/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Forgot to say AND everyone else whos been involved.

> > >http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel?hl=en-Hide quoted text -

Peter Scharff

Dec 13, 2011, 4:12:51 AM12/13/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

yeah good point, and all else who have contributed too!

Dênis Brandão

Dec 12, 2011, 6:50:38 PM12/12/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations Alex! Nicely done!

~Denis

arm.indy

Dec 13, 2011, 6:28:49 AM12/13/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
as a reminder, the first year of Magic Lantern : 23th June, 2009 ->
2010, By Trammel

http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel/browse_frm/thread/648f25d8d543e58/

Indy

On Dec 13, 10:12 am, Peter Scharff <pe...@pipinq.com> wrote:
> yeah good point, and all else who have contributed too!

tassos plak

Dec 13, 2011, 8:55:21 AM12/13/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Good evening A1ex.For some reason my last post on Vimeo was deleted
and I can not post anymore!!!Thats way I did not reply to you.And I am
still looking why I cannot post.I got a warning at the end of the page
"Only group members can comment on this thread."

> ==========https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201...

> P.S. You can help ML development by clicking here:http://goo.gl/79JgB:)
>

>  submenu.png
> 9KViewDownload

Bollux

Dec 13, 2011, 7:36:55 AM12/13/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Congratulations!

> ==========https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201...

> P.S. You can help ML development by clicking here:http://goo.gl/79JgB:)
>

>  submenu.png
> 9KExibirDownload

Chris71

Dec 13, 2011, 10:34:29 AM12/13/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Chapeau!

> ==========https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201...

> P.S. You can help ML development by clicking here:http://goo.gl/79JgB:)
>

>  submenu.png
> 9KAnzeigenHerunterladen

Task51

Dec 13, 2011, 12:02:51 PM12/13/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Some ideas :
i sometimes get my hand on professional equipment and did find some
stuff coming in handy :

I highly would like to have a zoom button, thats only zooming in (5 or
10 times) while pressed
(most of the time the window of magic zoom stays open to long for me,
and only having a fast look is more then enough
for me )

I would love to have all buttons to be freely assigned the way i
like ..

I will, in the next year, start to dissemble a battery grip i get the
other day and will find out how the external buttons on that one work.
So the goal on that is having external buttons on a grip or wherever
you like doing what you want

well and last, thats maybe a little high off ...
But all canon cams can read and write exFat, having that 4gb limit
blown on files would be software question, right :)

Thanks again for you hard work Alex and all the others that worked
with you on that
Cheers

Redkite Bart

Dec 13, 2011, 2:17:55 PM12/13/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Alex, Well Done!

I was in from the beginning without hesitation and never looked back.
I love custom features to see what the machine is capable of. Without
the need to comply to standards. Just cross boundaries and with what
speed. Features were added I have never heard from before and while
discovering their functions I've learned so much. And that's just one
end. I read this list every day and see features developing it's just
so exiting. Every week something new to experiment with is an absolute
luxury. I LOVE IT!! Thanks again and I'll put in another XMas
donation.

Bart

MartinOcando

Dec 13, 2011, 2:37:32 PM12/13/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Alex, once I found ML I can't live without it. Actually this is the
solely reason why I won't upgrade to the 7D. I just hope you'll be
able to run ML on the 7D soon, or hopefully when the 7D MkII shows up.
I can only thank you for the hard work you've put into this, and hope
you keep up with it. I'll be traveling through the Panameian jungle
next sunday and will put all ML features to test. Have a very Merry
Christmas and a Happy New Year 2012.

MatthewK78

Dec 13, 2011, 10:57:41 PM12/13/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development

Thank you Alex and everyone involved for all the hard work you've put
into this project! Magic Lantern has far exceeded my expectations and
I think most, if not all, would agree. You've done an amazing job!!

The new FPS control feature sounds very interesting. Do you think
there's any chance of increasing it to a trillion FPS for super slow-
motion video like in the following link?
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-12-trillion-frame-per-second-video.html

I'm joking about the 1,000,000,000,000fps request by the way. :)
Even 35fps is a pleasant surprise, thanks! :)

Godovic

Dec 14, 2011, 12:29:34 PM12/14/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Very well excellent work.. Working very well on 550D
Why is version number 11.12.12 instead of 11.12.11?

unity2k

Dec 14, 2011, 2:05:58 PM12/14/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Because in Europe the date is read: year, month, day!

g3gg0

Dec 14, 2011, 2:09:09 PM12/14/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
year.month.day :)

arm.indy

Dec 14, 2011, 2:56:34 PM12/14/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development

arm.indy

Dec 14, 2011, 5:04:26 PM12/14/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
did you know that ML development was blocked by Canon between Feb and
August 2010 ?
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/ML_history

Indy

sysf...@wp.pl

Dec 14, 2011, 6:36:48 PM12/14/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks for zebra in %. To menu jest wspaniałe. Producenci kamer
filmowych np RED mogą się wiele nauczyć od ML...
SONY również. Ojejku mój 550 jest teraz naprawde wielki. Dziękuje
Alex.

g3gg0

Dec 14, 2011, 6:50:17 PM12/14/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
about the request for longer exposures on FPS override with 5fps -
maybe there is a little breakthrough ;)
see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E0oukWJMJs
its not clean nor tested, but its working for now on my 600D v1.0.1

for the hackers..
what ive done, you should be able to do with:
*((unsigned int *)(*((unsigned int *)0x1dcc) + 0x10)) = 0x00000000;
*((unsigned short*)0x70AF4) = 0xFFFF; /* for max fps */

g3gg0

Dec 14, 2011, 6:53:21 PM12/14/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
> /* for max fps */

should have been "for max exposure"

3pointedit

Dec 15, 2011, 12:28:00 AM12/15/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Wow the slow exposure is very exciting! And the latest release is a
beauty to behold. Very easy to use and feature rich!

Morgan Look

Dec 15, 2011, 3:46:36 PM12/15/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Nice release.

Used it for shooting bands tonight, over two hours of footage on the 550D and 600D.

The only issue I've found is that when moving the focus box around while recording the spot meter doesn't get erased properly and leaves a trail of little boxes and numbers around the place.  Still pretty awesome that you can move it around, I used it all night*

The peaking and magic zoom are working really well, the LUT is a huge bonus.

*Sorry for repeating myself, but is there a way to get this to zip around to preset (rule of thirds) points?
How about; quick press zips to nearest point, press and hold default move behaviour.  This would work pretty good I think, especially if you can turn it on/off by switching DISP profiles.

Morgan.

P.S. You can help ML development by clicking here: http://goo.gl/79JgB :)

--
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

Malcolm Debono

Dec 15, 2011, 4:35:37 PM12/15/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Very solid release. Yesterday I've spent a whole day shooting, and collected over 40gb of footage during an event. Recording didn't even stop once (using Sandisk 16gb class 10 30mb/s cards). Was also recording audio (using the 1 channel internal and 1 channel external coming from my H4N) to sync up in post.

Also manage to go through the day without changing the batteries in the grip, and there was still some juice left! Didn't have much on-screen features though - histogram always on, and casually switching display presets to check zebras and focus peaking.

Hopefully this will convince those that still believe that ML will "break" their camera. :-)

Well done Alex (and everyone who has contributed to the project)!

Dremelv21

Dec 15, 2011, 6:38:59 PM12/15/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Without the Magic Lantern, all this would not have been
possible:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MDfAELQEBQ
Thanks!!!
> ==========https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-201...

> P.S. You can help ML development by clicking here:http://goo.gl/79JgB:)
>
>  submenu.png
> 9KViewDownload

cacasodo

Dec 15, 2011, 8:02:44 PM12/15/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Dremel,
Really nice, professional work. Congrats! It would be interesting to
have some subtitles in a second version of the video that highlighted
the feature of Magic Lantern you used at that point in the video.

great work,
'sodo

Dremelv21

Dec 16, 2011, 10:59:30 AM12/16/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks Sir.
It's a good idea!

Morgan Look

Dec 16, 2011, 5:32:12 PM12/16/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I have a suggestion, similar to the eyefi filename work around.

Would it be possible to change the filename of a movie file once it's finished recording?
This would mean you can off-load footage from multiple cameras into a single folder without fear of duplicate file names.

I was thinking if the MVI_ part could be customised, perhaps by specifying camera letters (A,B,C...) and card numbers (1,2,3...) from within ML menu, this would set the movie file prefix accordingly (MA1_ , MA2, ... MB3_ etc).

I guess the same thing might apply to images also... IMG_ becomes IA2_ or whatever.

Anyway, just a suggestion.
Regards, Morgan.

Leonard Koch

Dec 17, 2011, 7:25:17 AM12/17/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
+1 on that!

Veerragavan N

Dec 17, 2011, 1:13:27 PM12/17/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Can you elaborate on that? There is no mention of that in the ML_history page. A lot of us would like a recount of that.

Thanks and Regards,
Veeraragavan Nandakumar

_Just learnt yesterday that some sharks have started reproducing asexually since they are not able to find mates. Wonder what triggers such a huge shift in evolution & how? Wonder what'll happen to us? Can we or will we evolve if ever there is a crisis?_

*"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless."*

carlos abeijón

Dec 17, 2011, 1:54:56 PM12/17/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
hey everyone,
Do you know If there is a ML version which allows the camera to
change the aspect ratio of the lcd screen during recording? I m
trying
to shoot in anamorphic with a projector lens : http://vimeo.com/33031801

Malcolm Debono

Dec 17, 2011, 5:41:36 PM12/17/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
You can create a custom cropmark.

Huey Lee

Dec 18, 2011, 8:29:26 AM12/18/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Nah I don't think ML has the DeSqueeze anamorphic feature. I guess the only way to do it is using external monitor like SmallHD DP6 or DP4 that has anamorphic aspect ratio scale.

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Malcolm Debono <mdeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
You can create a custom cropmark.

cristian paradiso

Dec 18, 2011, 11:44:26 AM12/18/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,
I had a long shooting yesterday and the ML it was amazing only stopped once in 10 hours and no problem at all. One only thing, i was doing a tracking shot and i tried to use 1.5x bitrate but the footage was jumpy so I went back to the normal one. And also today i was trying to check a setting used in a particular scene by the log file camera creates but opening it with text edit (as i always did) created strange symbols, so couldn't figured out anything, never happened before. Other than these little things I loved it more than ever before.
Thanks, I m going to donate something for Christmas :)

Dec 19, 2011, 12:33:03 PM12/19/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Alex just one question, do you know how
to process the HDR video?

Me like to know how, too...
I've tried to export all the underexposed and overexposed frames with photoshop namin them 0001a.tiff 0001b.tiff etc, so a is overexposed & b is underexposed.
Then I've batch converted them with photomatrix to have the final HDR frames and then I use lightroom to make a 25fps video. I have done only a few test and they are not good so far...

Note that I have no video editing software at the moment so that's why I'm using lightroom to render the video.

xaos

Dec 19, 2011, 1:25:48 PM12/19/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
It's really slow motion, 35 fps as 25 fps, without external software :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-i5odGlkhM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFDnRT92ffY - 5 fps as 25 fps / ISO 100
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qYIvpCrV2Y - HDR and 5 fps as 25 fps /
ISO HDR (6 EV) and raw video: http://youtu.be/ZekhtyCaUNs

Thanks Alex for helping me with decoding raw HDR. I think, that Alex
will give us new great release soon :)

Stifa

Dec 19, 2011, 2:56:02 PM12/19/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
@ Xaos
Nice videos, could you tell me what options did you use in
MagicLantern and your editing software to get this slow motion video
(and faster one) ?

Thanks

On Dec 19, 7:25 pm, xaos <hipotu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's really slow motion, 35 fps as 25 fps, without external software :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-i5odGlkhM
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFDnRT92ffY- 5 fps as 25 fps / ISO 100http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qYIvpCrV2Y- HDR and 5 fps as 25 fps /

xaos

Dec 19, 2011, 3:13:52 PM12/19/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
The was no editing software to get slow/fast motion :) We can change
"hardware" fps but without change codec parameters and this is effect
of this. We can say that this is a "bug" :)

heartbeat

Dec 19, 2011, 3:49:29 PM12/19/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
and where is the autoexec.bin for this

maybe for 550d

On 19 Dez., 21:13, xaos <hipotu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The was no editing software to get slow/fast motion :) We can change
> "hardware" fps but without change codec parameters and this is effect
> of this. We can say that this is a "bug" :)
>

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 8:56 PM, Stifa <ste...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > @ Xaos
> > Nice videos, could you tell me what options did you use in
> > MagicLantern and your editing software to get this slow motion video
> > (and faster one) ?
>
> > Thanks
>
> > On Dec 19, 7:25 pm, xaos <hipotu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> It's really slow motion, 35 fps as 25 fps, without external software :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-i5odGlkhM
>

> >>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFDnRT92ffY-5 fps as 25 fps / ISO 100http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qYIvpCrV2Y-HDR and 5 fps as 25 fps /

xaos

Dec 19, 2011, 3:56:55 PM12/19/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

Huey Lee

Dec 20, 2011, 12:51:39 AM12/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
That's cool, 5fps and 35fps.

macro77

Dec 20, 2011, 5:01:43 AM12/20/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
thanks alex

On 20 Dic, 06:51, Huey Lee <modol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's cool, 5fps and 35fps.
>

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 7:56 AM, xaos <hipotu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Only from sources.
> >https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/
> > and
> >http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Build_instructions/550D
>
> > On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 9:49 PM, heartbeat
> > <robschii.ru...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > > and where is the autoexec.bin for this
>
> > > maybe for 550d

> > :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-i5odGlkhM

> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qYIvpCrV2Y-HDRand 5 fps as 25 fps /

Stifa

Dec 20, 2011, 10:20:45 AM12/20/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I cant seem to find the way to set the movie to 5 fps... could you
tell me?

thanks

> > >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qYIvpCrV2Y-HDRand5 fps as 25 fps /

Andy P

Dec 20, 2011, 10:41:16 AM12/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
With the mass of exciting new features I completely overlooked that fact the ML will now do 720/25p (actually 720/4-58p) PAL (720/4-60p NTSC) :o AND am I going crazy or does 720/25p help with moire?

Message has been deleted

ArthurX

Dec 20, 2011, 7:57:57 AM12/20/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Yes,
this are really nice videos and super useful features,
I hope Alex can soon integrate them in normal package.

On Dec 19, 7:25 pm, xaos <hipotu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's really slow motion, 35 fps as 25 fps, without external software :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-i5odGlkhM
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFDnRT92ffY- 5 fps as 25 fps / ISO 100http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qYIvpCrV2Y- HDR and 5 fps as 25 fps /

ArthurX

Dec 20, 2011, 8:04:45 AM12/20/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hi Alex,

Thanks for all the magic,
I'm using it for almost a year now,
and never had any serious problems.

Just one thing happened the past week or so,
I'm not sure what it was,
but autofocus during M, P, Av or Tv
did not work seemed to be off,
but it said it was on.
Autofocus did work in all other modes including video,
so I knew it was some setting or software.
When I cleared custom setting in the wrench menu it did not help
when I cleared custom functions,
it worked again.
It took me a week to think of the clear settings.
I think it happened that I changed the autofocus points
and that magic lantern created a custom function for that
, but due to an unexpected turn off
forgot to clear the function,

Thanks and thanks a lot,

Greetings Arthur and Elizabeth

On Dec 20, 11:01 am, macro77 <mariocros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qYIvpCrV2Y-HDRand5 fps as 25 fps /

ArthurX

Dec 20, 2011, 3:52:48 PM12/20/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hi Xaos,

Maybe you can post your build with fps settings option,
because for me building it myself is maybe a bit too difficult,
If you post the autoexe.bin,
There are more people who can try it out.
I use it to record the way I make paintings,

Thanks and greetings
Arthur

HI

On Dec 19, 9:56 pm, xaos <hipotu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Only from sources.https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/

> andhttp://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Build_instructions/550D

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 9:49 PM, heartbeat
>

> <robschii.ru...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > and where is the autoexec.bin for this
>
> > maybe for 550d
>
> > On 19 Dez., 21:13, xaos <hipotu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> The was no editing software to get slow/fast motion :) We can change
> >> "hardware" fps but without change codec parameters and this is effect
> >> of this. We can say that this is a "bug" :)

Alex

Dec 20, 2011, 3:56:35 PM12/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

Peter Scharff

Dec 20, 2011, 4:02:28 PM12/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

WOW!!! This is going to be my best Xmas present this year! Seems another donation will be heading to the fund ;-)

unity2k

Dec 20, 2011, 4:38:33 PM12/20/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I'd like to add exponential WOW to Peter's WOW and then factor it up
another notch to SUPER OMG WOW!

On Dec 20, 2:02 pm, Peter Scharff <pe...@pipinq.com> wrote:
> WOW!!! This is going to be my best Xmas present this year! Seems another
> donation will be heading to the fund ;-)

> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qYIvpCrV2Y-HDRand5 fps as 25 fps /

> > Alex

> > groups.google.com/group/ml-devel?hl=en

> > groups.google.com/group/ml-devel?hl=en
>

> > --
> >http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

> >http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel?hl=en- Hide quoted text -

g3gg0

Dec 20, 2011, 5:12:35 PM12/20/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
this is a highly experimental feature which is available to developers
only.
you have to compile ML from source code.

on 22th in the night a release seems to be scheduled (http://vimeo.com/
groups/magiclantern/videos/33987353)

James Donnelly

Dec 20, 2011, 6:10:57 PM12/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Holy fuck.  Pardon my French.

Neil Camara

Dec 20, 2011, 6:12:09 PM12/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
That is awesome Alex!!! Will it be available on our 50D? I didn't notice 50D on the last few secs of the video. :D

daniel thissen

Dec 20, 2011, 7:33:24 PM12/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
increíble!!!!
ML es una caja de pandora .

Giovanni Di Cello

Dec 20, 2011, 8:54:37 PM12/20/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Yes Neil, it will be available for the 50D too.
;)

Neil Camara

Dec 20, 2011, 9:26:22 PM12/20/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! You guys rock!!!

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Giovanni Di Cello <giovann...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes Neil, it will be available for the 50D too.
;)

3pointedit

Dec 20, 2011, 11:42:13 PM12/20/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
But where is the 4K 3D? ;)

MatthewK78

Dec 21, 2011, 12:03:26 AM12/21/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development

This is absolutely amazing and totally unexpected!!

What FPS can we expect? Will it be cut in half? (e.g. 30fps -> 15fps)
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qYIvpCrV2Y-HDRand5 fps as 25 fps /

> > Alex

> > groups.google.com/group/ml-devel?hl=en

> > groups.google.com/group/ml-devel?hl=en

Kevin Ottawa

Dec 21, 2011, 5:27:11 AM12/21/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I believe with the method posted in the video above, you don't lose
the frame rate.
For example, you take your 30 fps raw footage.
You separate it into two 15 fps tracks (One bright, one under exposed)
You then use time stretching on each track to make them both 30 fps,
the computer is creating every second frame
And then you combine the 2 tracks together to get your HDR
> > >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qYIvpCrV2Y-HDRand5fps as 25 fps /

3pointedit

Dec 21, 2011, 5:52:59 AM12/21/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I guess you could use 720p mode at a higher frame rate and halve it.

Kevin Ottawa

Dec 21, 2011, 6:03:22 AM12/21/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Just doing that would make more artifacts because your frames would be
even more dissimilar.
But using both methods might work better, shoot at 60 fps, with a goal
to end up playback at 24 fps real time (not 60fps at 24 slow mo)

Kevin Ottawa

Dec 21, 2011, 6:06:15 AM12/21/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
To clarify the more frames you have to work with, the less "guessing"
in the generated intermediate frames.
And then when you convert 60fps down to 24 fps, hopefully it will flow
even better, or it could get a whole lot worse.
Only way to tell is to try when its out tonight.

Wesley Clouden

Dec 21, 2011, 9:29:20 AM12/21/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
man when we can get that 7d with [ML] running that dual Digic4 will be a beast with processing
I think I can get it decrypt
better i have some help

from friend an it's being processed
I haven't added it the ML group yet but.
I just have to make sure it one right
cause it's Firmware based as we all know

ウェスリー D クラウデン
Wesley D Clouden
CIO/ Media Content Producer

Nappiee Corp Inc. // Mogulus LLC. // Twitter LLC

Qik.com , foursquare.com, InArtMedia.com
InYoFaceFilm.com, mogulus.com, Twitter.com

Skype //  Aol // Msn // Yahoo ID: Nappiee007

Wesley....@gmail.com
Dir: NYC 24/7: +1646 248-6680
***********************************

Brian Berneker

Dec 21, 2011, 1:19:06 PM12/21/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Liking the new interface a lot. Can hardly wait to start playing with
it...
Cheers!

Brian

Daniele Musso

Dec 21, 2011, 1:21:33 PM12/21/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Without words.
Seriously, this is amazing.
This is something that brings us to the dynamic range of the latest S-Log Sony cameras or "in familiy" C300.
Another historic milestone of ML.

Jonathan

Dec 22, 2011, 2:58:32 PM12/22/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I've been using ML for a while and I'm loving it but there's one
thing. When I'm in LiveView mode and half click my shutter and let go,
it gives me a preview of what my picture will look like and save a .
422 file on my SD card. Is there a way to turn if off? I've looked
around and couldn't find anything. Thanks!

01101011

Dec 22, 2011, 3:24:05 PM12/22/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
simply amazing. just a thought though.
is it possible that the different exposure is being achieved by using
different shutter speeds rather than different iso settings?
or maybe both.

also, since defishing is fast now, maybe you could implement that
deanamorphic filter of variable height scaling.
50%-70% is fine form me but people with other anamorphic lens of
different aspect ratios may need other values.

thank you magic lantern guys very very much!

g3gg0

Dec 22, 2011, 3:41:02 PM12/22/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
just disable "Silent/Slit Pic" in "Shoot" menu

g3gg0

Dec 22, 2011, 3:42:26 PM12/22/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
yes, its possible. (for some models)
its just a question of how this should be implemented in the menu.

Jonathan

Dec 23, 2011, 12:45:07 AM12/23/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
AH! Thank you! Didn't know that affected that. Learn something new
everyday.