What's a BLOG?

Frank Raymond Michaels

Dec 18, 2001, 11:40:38 PM12/18/01
Is that like, a bog with a log in it?

ObJapanese: Oishii des ka? ("Is it tasty?")
----
FRM

Bob Pastorio

Dec 19, 2001, 12:24:38 AM12/19/01
Frank Raymond Michaels wrote:

> Is that like, a bog with a log in it?
>
> ObJapanese: Oishii des ka? ("Is it tasty?")

Jeez, Frank. Obviously BLOG is the world-famous GOLB spelled backwards.

Wakarimasuka...?
--
Bob Pastorio
http://www.pastorio.com

Gene Royer

Dec 19, 2001, 12:07:03 PM12/19/01

"Frank Raymond Michaels" <fra...@i-2000.com> wrote in message

I tried to impress my Japanese host when I was there. I nodded to the
Giesha and said "Oishii des ka". A young man showed up at the table
immediately to collect my laundry.

--Geno<lost in translation>Royer

Hippolyte Lizard

Dec 19, 2001, 2:18:26 PM12/19/01

Go see today's new movie, it's the critter what fights the wizard in the
big cave.

Towse

Dec 19, 2001, 5:26:08 PM12/19/01

Frank Raymond Michaels wrote:

> Is that like, a bog with a log in it?
>
> ObJapanese: Oishii des ka? ("Is it tasty?")

Web logs (aka "blogs" to spare all us fast talkers and slow
typers that extra syllable) have been around since Tim
Berners-Lee was a pup.

Berners-Lee, in fact, is given credit for the first Web log with
his World Wide Web News pages. Starting in January 1992, Tim BL
kept the cognoscenti up-to-date with what was happening with the
W3 project with a periodically updated log, including hypertext
links to new content available on the still-a-borning Web.

Was WWW News an online newsletter or blog? Hard to say, but
because Tim BL was keeping it, the bloggers tend to point to his
work as the granddaddy of blogging.

When the masses first began appearing on the Web, the
self-indulgent and/or information-packed Web site was the dernier
cri. Some who had more Webmeister skills than others (or more
time and patience) kept Web logs, but web logging was a tedious
process, needing some technical skills, and was not for the
newbies.

In the last year or two, several purveyors have developed
software to make web logging easy. Rough estimates are that there
are hundreds of thousands of Web logs, either on user sites or
batched together on sites that provide blogging services.

Articles about Weblogs began appearing in mainstream publications
like the Chicago Tribune and the NYT (not to mention Wired and
Salon) more than two years ago, when having a Web log became a
(relatively) easy thing to do and the latest dernier cri.

Web logs come in several types:

[+] the personal diary/musings of someone who may or may not be
entertaining.

For "entertaining," I like Not-A-Webring
<http://www.sff.net/people/vera.nazarian/notaring.htp>, a
collection of blogs from SFF writers, meistered by Vera Nazarian.
Mary Soon Lee and Erin Cashier Denton, who used to post here,
have their blogs as part of Not-A-Webring as do Neile Graham,
Paula Fleming and a score or more of others.

Mary Anne Mohanraj also has one, with entries going back six
years. <http://www.mamohanraj.com/Diary/diary.html>

Another excellent "personal" blog that I wrote about earlier this
year belongs to Jessamyn West <http://www.jessamyn.com/>.
Jessamyn's blog goes back to January 1997. Are her self-indulgent
musings interesting? I think so. Jessamyn writes about this and
that ... and along the way you find out her dad, Tom West, was
featured in Tracy Kidder's /Soul of a New Machine/. Kidder
stashed himself on the couch at the Wests' on weekends while he
was writing the Pulitzer Prize-winning book back when she was a
kid.

[+] a collection of links to other Web content with commentary -
not necessarily a "personal musings" log.

Some blogs are chock full of information
<http://www.camworld.com/>. Others are little more than one
person's (and sometimes that person's acquaintances) rants,
screeds and commentary on current happenings with links to
content elsewhere on the Web.

Is an online newsletter with periodically-updated content a
Weblog? The line between a "publication" that is a personal hobby
and a blog is a blurry one. Usually the only difference is that
the blog has date-stamped entries and periodic archiving while a
hobby publication may actually have "issues" archived.

The SJMN carries Dan Gillmor's column as well as his blog:
<http://web.siliconvalley.com/content/sv/opinion/dgillmor/weblog/>.

I've already mentioned Bruce Sterling's blog at Infinite Matrix
<http://www.infinitematrix.net/columns/sterling/sterlingi.html>.

[+] a collection of musings on a given subject with a
give-and-take to-and-fro with the readers. One of my favorites in
this category is Overheard In Passing <http://www.inpassing.org/>
by a UCBerkeley student. The blog consists of snippets of
overheard conversation and, sometimes, writings on the bathroom
wall. Readers add their comments.

e.g.

"I was thinking about calling John-John and asking him out
for coffee."
"You were thinking... about John-John? I think we need to
have a talk, here. He's not the kind of man you think
about."
--Two women, walking along Solano Ave

Add a comment, or view the 23 (as of this instant) responses.

another e.

"I couldn't believe what she said. I asked, half serious,
how long she thought it would take for me to get a boyfriend, if
I actually wanted one. She was giving me this skeptical look, and
suddenly she's all, 'how long do you think it'll take you to grow
your hair out?' Ew, ew, ew, I hate her."
--A girl outside Lewis Hall

Need a slice of life for that WIP? Need to get some understanding
of life in Don's hometown? Here's your chance.

[+] a collection of links to content on a given subject, with or
without commentary. The Berners-Lee blog was this type.

Our local fishwrap has a blog covering news about the events of
September 11th and the aftermath:
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/news/special/attack/blog.html>

Blogs come in all sizes and shapes. Some are useful. Some are
self-indulgent. Some are both. Some are drear. Some are smug and
self-congratulatory. Guess you could say that blogs are like Web
sites in that manner, eh? Some even come with flashy tiki lamps
and pictures and poems.

Sal
--
writing links: <http://internet-resources.com/writers/>

Scott OQ Elyard

Dec 19, 2001, 6:28:00 PM12/19/01
fra...@i-2000.com (Frank Raymond Michaels) wrote in message news:<3c201987...@groups.i-2000.com>...

> Is that like, a bog with a log in it?

BLOG: Booger Launching On Girls.

> ObJapanese: Oishii des ka? ("Is it tasty?")

No.

Gerald Clough

Dec 19, 2001, 6:35:32 PM12/19/01

No. That was something else. A balrog or something. A blog is what Frodo
stepped in while sneaking out of the Shire. Barefoot Hobbits hate to
step in blogs. It mats the hair on their toes. They cut that part out of
the film.
Clo...@Texas.Net
"Nothing has any value unless you know you can give it up."

Paul Heslop

Dec 19, 2001, 7:08:54 PM12/19/01

Okay, you may aswell ask "What's a yonk?" as in "It's been yonks!"
--
Paul...(a fish for all seasons)
-------------------------------------

Nicole J. LeBoeuf-Little

Dec 20, 2001, 12:30:57 AM12/20/01
Frank Raymond Michaels wrote:

> Is that like, a bog with a log in it?

Short for "weblog".

> ObJapanese: Oishii des ka? ("Is it tasty?")

Most of them. Every once in awhile you get one that tastes like earwax.

Frank Raymond Michaels

Dec 21, 2001, 7:56:41 AM12/21/01
On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 00:08:54 GMT, Paul Heslop
<paul....@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Frank Raymond Michaels wrote:
>>
>> Is that like, a bog with a log in it?
>>
>> ObJapanese: Oishii des ka? ("Is it tasty?")
>> ----
>> FRM
>
>Okay, you may aswell ask "What's a yonk?" as in "It's been yonks!"

What's a yonk?
---
FRM

Frank Raymond Michaels

Dec 21, 2001, 7:56:41 AM12/21/01
On 19 Dec 2001 15:28:00 -0800, stonebu...@yahoo.com (Scott OQ
Elyard) wrote:

Wouldn't that depend on your diet?
---
FRM

Frank Raymond Michaels

Dec 21, 2001, 7:56:41 AM12/21/01

My brother says he got a booger-flavored one, once...
---
FRM

Frank Raymond Michaels

Dec 21, 2001, 7:58:39 AM12/21/01
On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 00:24:38 -0500, Bob Pastorio <past...@rica.net>
wrote:

>Frank Raymond Michaels wrote:
>>
>> Is that like, a bog with a log in it?
>>
>> ObJapanese: Oishii des ka? ("Is it tasty?")
>
>Jeez, Frank. Obviously BLOG is the world-famous GOLB spelled backwards.

Ah. A kool abbreviation for "Goldbrick" no doubt, indicating a
procrastination post...

>Wakarimasuka...?

Hai. Arigato goziemashita.
---
FRM

Scott OQ Elyard

Dec 21, 2001, 3:30:50 PM12/21/01
fra...@i-2000.com (Frank Raymond Michaels) wrote in message news:<3c23310...@groups.i-2000.com>...

> >> ObJapanese: Oishii des ka? ("Is it tasty?")
> >
> >No.
>
> Wouldn't that depend on your diet?

God, I hope not.

Paul Heslop

Dec 21, 2001, 8:43:43 PM12/21/01

A long time? :O)
--
Paul...(a seasoning for all fish)
-------------------------------------

Scott OQ Elyard

Dec 22, 2001, 2:13:44 AM12/22/01
fra...@i-2000.com (Frank Raymond Michaels) wrote in message news:<3c23313...@groups.i-2000.com>...

> >Most of them. Every once in awhile you get one that tastes like earwax.
>
> My brother says he got a booger-flavored one, once...

As open-minded as I am about putting strange things in one's mouth...

...I can't finish this post.

Lorrill Buyens

Dec 23, 2001, 8:32:45 PM12/23/01
On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 12:58:39 GMT, fra...@i-2000.com (Frank Raymond
Michaels) ordered a misc.writing pizza with extra cheese, but got this
instead:

>On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 00:24:38 -0500, Bob Pastorio <past...@rica.net>
>wrote:

>>Wakarimasuka...?
>
>Hai. Arigato goziemashita.

High Harry's got a goosy Matshita CD drive?

--
Lorrill Buyens
"A load of steaming horse shit could indeed keep a human afloat,