Want to knock someone off (or just give them indigestion)?

Towse

Sep 21, 2002, 8:34:53 PM9/21/02
So I was yak shaving -- checking up on the tachycardial effects
of nutmeg being as billo hasn't popped in with information on
dosage limits for those ingesting nutmeg for its psychoactive
effects -- when I should be writing about tegestology or some
such thing.

Found
<www.pharmacy.utah.edu/pharmprac/therapeutics/PHPRC5312/toxicology_module/plants.pdf>

This _very _cool PDF file is titled "Poisonous Plants 'It’s All
Natural'" by Brad Dahl, Pharm.D., R.Ph., CSPI.

The paper starts with stats: "Frequency of Plant Exposures by
Plant Type Reported to TESS 1998"

From there the paper tells you the mechanism and effects of a
number of poisonous plants.

Want to give your villain hepatic and adrenal failure in addition
to endothelial damage and diffuse and profound capillary
hemorrhage? Feed him/her a bit of Ricinus communis (the castor
bean), Abrus precatorius (the rosary pea), &c.

Decided, instead, to dish out a bit of bradycardia with AV block,
hypotension, lethargy, dizziness, and gastrointestinal upset?
Digitalis purpurea (foxglove) or Nerium oleander (oleander)
should do the trick.

Um. Maybe I should've stayed in the culinary thread.

Sal
--
1900+ useful links for writers
<http://www.internet-resources.com/writers/>

Frank Raymond Michaels

Sep 21, 2002, 9:19:39 PM9/21/02

The ninja in my WIP use blowfish poison. Fast, effective, and
the non-poisonous parts make tasty sashimi.
---
FRM (Fugu and the horse you rode in on, so to speak...)

gekko

Sep 21, 2002, 9:25:55 PM9/21/02
I asked for a puppy. Instead, fra...@i-2000.com (Frank Raymond
Michaels) posted in news:3d8d1a45...@groups.i-2000.com:

> my WIP

I have a WIPP.

--
gekko (Work in Perpetual Progress)

I am Natasha of Borg. We will assimilate moose and squirrel!

Frank Raymond Michaels

Sep 21, 2002, 10:00:03 PM9/21/02
On Sun, 22 Sep 2002 01:25:55 GMT, gekko <ba0go...@sneakemail.com>
wrote:

>I asked for a puppy. Instead, fra...@i-2000.com (Frank Raymond
>Michaels) posted in news:3d8d1a45...@groups.i-2000.com:
>

>> my WIP
>
>I have a WIPP.

Sounds like mine. I had, about six months ago, the uneasy feeling that
I had bitten off far more than I could chew on this project (and for
me that's saying something). However, I'm too bull-headed to back
down, and I like the story too much, and although progress is
excruciatingly slow due to many things going on in my Real Life right
now, I'm pleased so far with how it's going..

I think I want to write a kid's book next.
-----
FRM

gekko

Sep 21, 2002, 10:11:01 PM9/21/02
I asked for a puppy. Instead, fra...@i-2000.com (Frank Raymond
Michaels) posted in news:3d8d2289...@groups.i-2000.com:

> I think I want to write a kid's book next.

You'd terrify the little rug chewers.

--
gekko

There is only one human liberty: The liberty to do as one damn well
pleases. But with that liberty there is only one human duty: TO
ACCEPT THE CONSEQUENCES

Alex Jay Berman

Sep 22, 2002, 3:21:01 AM9/22/02
On Sun, 22 Sep 2002 02:00:03 GMT, fra...@i-2000.com (Frank Raymond
Michaels) wrote:

<...>

>I think I want to write a kid's book next.

THE HAPPY ZOMBIE by Frank Raymond Michaels:

"Late one night in a happy town
Herbie West was looking around.
Herbie was looking in a very odd place
Where few would ever show their face!

It was a dark and dank and musty field
A place with a quite uncertain feel
Where people went but bodies stayed
A cemetary! Where graves were dug, and coffins laid.

Herbie was looking for just one certain thing
A corpse into which he could zap some zing!
'Re-animator Man,' everyone called him
'Cause zombies obeyed his every whim.

You would think that Herbie was a scary sort
With scars and frowns and low comport
But the funny thing--Ha ha! Hee-hee!
Herbie looked just like you, or me!"

... et cetera ...

There you go, Frank; there's your starting point.

Alex Jay Berman
-- who would have liked to have read something like CTHOO MANY
CTHENTACLES when he was just a wee bairn ,,, sadly, that market niche
had never been filled ...

Lorrill Buyens

Sep 22, 2002, 8:46:25 PM9/22/02
Right before gekko <ba0go...@sneakemail.com> was eaten by cannibals on
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 02:11:01 GMT, they issued this poignant cry for help:

>I asked for a puppy. Instead, fra...@i-2000.com (Frank Raymond
>Michaels) posted in news:3d8d2289...@groups.i-2000.com:

>> I think I want to write a kid's book next.
>
>You'd terrify the little rug chewers.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

--
"There can be only one Silly Vampire Programme, and 'It
is I, Count Homogenized' has had that title sewn up since

Bill Funke

Sep 22, 2002, 8:57:56 PM9/22/02

As you may have noticed, simply googling "poisonous plants" gives a
vast amount of information that the Borgias would have loved to have
so easily available. And it doesn't even begin to address mushrroms.

However, here, you will find more than you ever wanted to know about
nutmeg (among many other things):

http://www.erowid.org/index.shtml

(7.7-11 grams of nutmeg to induce serious hallucinations, and two
whole numegs once killed a small boy)

Alex Jay Berman

Sep 23, 2002, 12:40:46 AM9/23/02
On Mon, 23 Sep 2002 00:57:56 GMT, wf...@mindspring.com (Bill Funke)
wrote:

<...>

>and two whole numegs once killed a small boy)

Damn those nutmeg gangs ...

Alex Jay Berman