A call to all who submit stories

Jaybee

Nov 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/28/96

I`ve been reading this newsgroup for about a month now, and I`d like to
offer this bit of advice to users who submit stories for critical
approval:

- begin each post with the title, the post number (i.e. 3 of 5), and
the mention "comments welcome" or something to that effect. That way,
anyone stumbling on one of your posts will know what it is about and may
search for the first chapter for a complete read.

- remember: no one here is starved for entertainment. Treat your
audience as you would an editor: it is up to you to capture our
attention and make us WANT to read your text out of genuine interest
rather than a shaky sense of duty. Include a short summary before you
throw us into your first chapter (all books have it on the back cover)
and when you DO get to the writing, make it captivating from the start.
Some great novels may have a lousy start, but so do all bad ones, and
you can't reasonably ask an audience to trudge through an unproven
manuscript on faith alone.

Jaybee

Deck Deckert

Nov 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/28/96

Jaybee wrote:
I`ve been reading this newsgroup for about a month now,
and I`d like to offer this bit of advice to users who
submit stories for critical approval:

Unh....This may or may not be full of good advice for two of the three
groups you cross-posted to, but it doesn't apply to misc.writing.

The pertinent piece of advice for posting stories to
misc.writing is:
DON'T

Deck

Wendy Chatley Green

Nov 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/28/96

Jaybee <jbou...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

:I`ve been reading this newsgroup for about a month now, and I`d like to
:offer this bit of advice to users who submit stories for critical
:approval:

As Keeper of the FAQs and Posting Guidelines, I'd like to
offer this quote from the Guidelines:

Writing samples: Definitely don't. Post them to
rec.arts.prose or rec.arts.poems, or maybe alt.prose or some
of the other alt.* groups. If everyone posted their samples
here, the informative posts would be drowned in a tide of
bandwidth.

The only stories permitted are the MWVille stories, which rules and
arcane procedures are explained in the Posting Guidelines.

If anyone wants a copy of these Guidelines, they are posted every
Monday, available at http://vanbc.wimsey.com/~sdkwok/mwrit.html
and from me via e-mail.

BTW, Jaybee--if you've been in misc,writing a month, you've been
exposed to the FAQ and Guidelines four times; it's considered an
excellent idea to read these if you want to participate in a
newsgroup.

--
Wendy Chatley Green -- wcg...@cris.com
Keeper of the misc.writing FAQs

Ari cword

Nov 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/28/96

Deck gave us some advice...

<snip>

>The pertinent piece of advice for posting stories to
>misc.writing is:
> DON'T
>
>Deck

Well spoken and enough said!

/Ari

Jaybee

Nov 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/28/96

Deck Deckert wrote:

> The pertinent piece of advice for posting stories to
> misc.writing is:
> DON'T
>
> Deck

Yes, I've since been informed of the rules for that newsgroup.
Unfortunately, there are no permanent messages for new users to read,
and I was mislead by the name. I thought the handful of pedantic
verbiage I saw there was an exception to the rule, but I've gone back
and realized it's the "thing" to do.

I thought I had finally found a prolific newsgroup for writers; turns
out it's only so much strutting by academic peacocks.

Jaybee

Jaybee

Nov 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/28/96

Maggie Mulvaney wrote:
> =

> eh, a little peeved there, are we?
> =

Yes, I apologize. I'm afraid my first contact was most unpleasant. Said
"peacocks" contacted me in e-mail to make a mountain out of a molehill.
"Much ado out of nothing" (although they'd much prefer to say "Une
temp=EAte dans un verre d'eau"; sounds so much more cerebral). But to the=

concerned individuals, "nothing" apparently is enough to occupy tomes.

Most of you know what I mean. Peacocks need not reply.

Jaybee

Jaybee

Nov 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/28/96

Wendy Chatley Green wrote:

> BTW, Jaybee--if you've been in misc,writing a month, you've been
> exposed to the FAQ and Guidelines four times; it's considered an
> excellent idea to read these if you want to participate in a
> newsgroup.

What I WAS exposed to was over 1,200 "new" messages, with several other
newsgroups to keep up with and limited hours to do it in. But although I
admit my mistake, the issue here isn't with my faux pas but with the
reaction to it. I posted - no, I BROADCAST - on several newsgroups a
general message ABOUT submissions; I didn't post a fifty-page
manuscript. Yet I received most unpleasant e-mail. Whatever happened to
the friendly nudge on the shoulder?

Look, I've apologized for my reaction to the few unpleasant elements
who appointed themselves spokespersons for the entire community. Let's
not let this molehill get any bigger. I won't reply to further flames,
but I will participate in the general conversation if I'm welcome. No
submissions, I promise.

Jaybee

Maggie Mulvaney

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

Jaybee wrote about misc.writing

> I thought I had finally found a prolific newsgroup for writers; turns
> out it's only so much strutting by academic peacocks.

eh, a little peeved there, are we?

heh. I've never been called an academic peacock before. In fact, I've
never been called academic either. As my young friend Rachel would
say;

Kewl!

(strutting) mmy

well - it's on topic in misc.writing, but I don't know if our newfound
friend reads it on a regular basis. I promise any further followups
will be reset to mw only.

* If I spoke for Fisher & Paykel, they'd pay me more *
* MMY * mulv...@fp.co.nz *
* Maggie Mulvaney * http://www.nmia.com/~entropy/maggie/ *

Dorothy J Heydt

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

In article <329E66...@sympatico.ca>,

Jaybee <jbou...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>I thought I had finally found a prolific newsgroup for writers; turns
>out it's only so much strutting by academic peacocks.

Au contraire (as the man said when they pulled him out of the Bay
of Biscay and asked if he had dined).

This is a group for talking *about* writing.

The group for posting your stuff in, IIRC, is rec.arts.prose.

Paul Harwood

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

On Thu, 28 Nov 1996 20:29:47 -0800, Jaybee <jbou...@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

>Yes, I've since been informed of the rules for that newsgroup.
>Unfortunately, there are no permanent messages for new users to read,

The FAQ is posted weekly. From your earlier post of Thursday, 28 Nov
1996:

>I`ve been reading this newsgroup for about a month now, and I`d like to
>offer this bit of advice to users who submit stories for critical
>approval:

A month is usually more than enough time to get to around to reading
the FAQ of a newsgroup in which you desire to offer advice. Sorry you
were unable to do so. Had you, during your month of lurking, bothered
to read the FAQ, you would have learned that misc.writing is not an
appropriate newsgroup for the posting of "stories for critical
approval." You would also have avoided both the embarrassment of
admitting that you had lurked here for a month and not bothered to
read the FAQ, and the concomitant urge to call us silly names.

>and I was mislead by the name. I thought the handful of pedantic
>verbiage I saw there was an exception to the rule, but I've gone back
>and realized it's the "thing" to do.

Don't feel bad. There are many people who drop by, read the postings
in misc.writing for a month, ignore the FAQ, and immediately begin
offering advice on the proper manner of structuring posts that don't
belong here. Such people are inevitably told by those of us who *have*
bothered to read the FAQ that they -- the advice-offerors -- are in
error. Usually, when this happens, the advice-offerors turn a bit red
in the face and spatter us with silly names, then immediately
disappear to wherever it is that such people go when not offering
advice in newsgroups for which they have not read the FAQ.

>I thought I had finally found a prolific newsgroup for writers; turns
>out it's only so much strutting by academic peacocks.

See? You went and called us a silly name. I do have to admit, though,
that I kind of like this one. "Academic peacocks." Yes. It at once
admits your thorough ignorance of exactly who posts here -- ignorance
you *should* have erased in your month of lurking -- and conveys the
admission, however sneeringly given, that you at least recognize
quality when you see it.

Well, good for you. Come on back and actually lurk for a month. Get to
know the group. Read <ahem> the FAQ. Be polite in your dealings with
the people here. Don't confuse us with rec.arts.prose and alt.prose.
*Then* start offering advice. Maybe people will listen, maybe not --
but you won't be hooted off the stage.

Paul Harwood

Do we actually *have* any academics here? Let's see ...
Proving a ham sandwich is better than true love:
Nothing is better than true love.
A ham sandwich is better than nothing ...

Wendy Chatley Green

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

ncc: Ms. Bouchard

Jaybee <jbou...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

:Yes, I've since been informed of the rules for that newsgroup.
:Unfortunately, there are no permanent messages for new users to read,

Posting Guidelines are posted every Monday, a frequency that
enables most newshandlers to keep them on hand. They also are
availble by a posted request to the newsgroup (standard operating
procedure for most ngs.)

:and I was mislead by the name. I thought the handful of pedantic

:verbiage I saw there was an exception to the rule, but I've gone back
:and realized it's the "thing" to do.

You got that right--we discuss all sorts of things that are
"of interest to writers" and much of it is discussed with intelligence
and perception.

Why would you assume that the posts found in a newsgroup are
an exception to the newsgroup's norm?

:I thought I had finally found a prolific newsgroup for writers;

"Prolific" well describes the number of posts found here.

:turns out it's only so much strutting by academic peacocks.

Few if any academics are here--we all obtained our looks and
brains honestly.

I hope you manage to overcome your first impression and decide
to stay.

Paine Ellsworth

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

Jaybee wrote:

> Yes, I apologize. I'm afraid my first contact was most unpleasant. Said
> "peacocks" contacted me in e-mail to make a mountain out of a molehill.
> "Much ado out of nothing" (although they'd much prefer to say "Une
> tempête dans un verre d'eau"; sounds so much more cerebral). But to the

> concerned individuals, "nothing" apparently is enough to occupy tomes.
>
> Most of you know what I mean. Peacocks need not reply.
>
> Jaybee

'Lo Jaybee -- if that *is indeed* your true name <g> --
got good news and bad news fo ya -- good news first? K --

BRAVO -- you're one of the best trolls i've seen -- i've
learned much from your post and the ensuing, dare i call
them responses? or reactions! --

'course, i *could* be wrong, i frequently am, you just
*might* be a newbie who wouldn't know a FAQ if it stared
you in the face -- maybe . . . but i kinda f*ck*n doubt
it <sheepish smile> -- which leads us to the bad news --

you messed up jus' a lil bit when you apologized, tch tch
tch -- you are hereby exiled to email (doin' ya a favor
with this one, since as you indicated, you must have
received the mail bomb you sought) for a minimum of three
hours -- then you can come back and teach us some more! --

butt face

Paine (some of my best friends are butt faces) Ellsworth

PS: apologies to denizens of a.p & r.a.p (damn, did i just
apologize???) as i couldn't help myself <grinnish sheep> --
followups set to m.w

Paine Ellsworth

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

Jaybee wrote:

> Taproot wrote:
> >
> > There is a very good FAQ here that you should thoroughly read and,
> > just as thoroughly, ignore (but make SURE you give it plenty of lip
> > service). It says something about the group being "established for
> > the discussion of the business of writing/editing/publishing."
> > Ignore that part and begin formulating your social and political
> > agenda.
> >
> > Welcome to misc.writing! (Really.)
> >
> > --Taproot
>
> Now *THERE'S* a proper tap on the shoulder! Anyone taking notes?
> Hmm??!!
>
> Just as I was beginning to despair...
>
> Thanks for the welcome, Taproot. Would you believe you're the first one
> in two days? It's a breath of fresh air.
>
> Jaybee

'Lo again, to da bote o' ya -- so . . . like . . . are
you two a team? or what --

i mean . . .

you're both so full o' bs that you have a lot o' potential
as fiction authors -- given any thought to running your
sham to the public? -- i understand that many readers *like*
this sort o' thing --

Paine (has anybody used peacock yet in the Bird Boycott
thread?) Ellsworth

Ari cword

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

In article <329EA1...@sympatico.ca>, jbou...@sympatico.ca says...

<snip>

> Just as I was beginning to despair...

<snip>

>Jaybee

Hey, don't. Really, c'mon, don't cry. You'll have plenty of time to
despair after reading some of the wittier replys...

Welcome & have fun!

/Ari

Jaybee

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

Taproot wrote:

> There is a very good FAQ here that you should thoroughly read and,
> just as thoroughly, ignore (but make SURE you give it plenty of lip
> service). It says something about the group being "established for
> the discussion of the business of writing/editing/publishing."
> Ignore that part and begin formulating your social and political
> agenda.
>
> Welcome to misc.writing! (Really.)
>
> --Taproot

Now *THERE'S* a proper tap on the shoulder! Anyone taking notes?
Hmm??!!

Just as I was beginning to despair...

Thanks for the welcome, Taproot. Would you believe you're the first one

Deck Deckert

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

Jaybee (jbouchard) wrote:
: Most of you know what I mean. Peacocks need not reply.

LOL.

This fellow reminds me of one of my favorite cartoons:

Man lying on a psychiatrist's couch is lifting his head, his face red with
rage as he screams:
"I said for some reason people don't like me.
Open your ears, fathead!"

Deck

Jaybee

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

Deck Deckert wrote:

> This fellow reminds me of one of my favorite cartoons:
>
> Man lying on a psychiatrist's couch is lifting his head, his face red with
> rage as he screams:
> "I said for some reason people don't like me.
> Open your ears, fathead!"
>
> Deck

Oh, well, had I sought your approval I would have simply slithered in
and hissed agreeable flattery. But swatting the water with an oar does
have a tendency to bring out the gnats, as it were. Useful in revealing
true nature.

Shoo fly.

Jaybee

Peggy Parks

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

Jaybee wrote:

>Paul Harwood wrote: A month is usually more than enough time to

> get to around to reading the FAQ of a newsgroup in which you desire
> to offer advice. Sorry you were unable to do so.

>...to which you replied: Mea Culpa. I *did* have the newsgroup on my >list for a month, but the sheer amount of posts made me put off a >thorough read. I thought I had found the mother lode, and although my >occasional expeditions yielded endless discussions on trivial details, >I never thought they were typical of the average post there.
>>snip snip--you continued...
> My error was minor, nothing over which to conduct a freaking court >martial. One nudge on the shoulder would have been considered civil, at >least in a normal environment. But once again misc.writing is quite the >freak of nature. One user even suggested an apology (I even thought at >first she must have meant a "retraction"), and now you, who took a >considerable amount of your time to lambaste me over the proper angle >of the pinky when drinking tea. I think my last post more relevant than >ever....Solicitation for approval? "Strutting peacocks"... how could I >ever be so wrong. I feel embarassment and the "concomitant" urge to >burst into derisive laughter...Sure, and the emperor wasn't naked, he >was only wearing invisible clothes. But in a newsgroup full of >emperors, that is never an issue...

Jaybe, obviously you've been stung by all this blasting, although I'm
certain you won't admit it. You've suggested that a "gentle nudge on the
shoulder" would have been enough to let you know of your mistake.

Sorry, but you blasted into this newsgroup offering advice without
knowing what you were talking about, then proceeded to hurl insults to
and fro at everyone and anyone. You didn't deserve a gentle nudge, you
deserved a hand grenade in your pants.

Anyway, how about we start over. This is really a wonderful group of
witty, intelligent people. Some are a bit hard to get to know at first,
but that's the case with any group that's been together for awhile. They
know each other, they respect each other, they understand the ropes
around here because THEY INVENTED THEM. And they WILL welcome you, if
you treat people with respect, and don't strut in arrogantly (yes, like
a peacock) acting like you're the new owner of the place.

So, with all that behind us... from one newbie to another, I sincerely
welcome you. I hope you'll put your peacock's tail (do they have
tails??) between your legs, learn the word H - U - M - B - L - E, and
stick around awhile. I'm sure you'll end up liking it here.

Peggy (test the ice before driving your Suburban onto the lake) Parks

Jensen

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

>Jaybe, obviously you've been stung by all this blasting, although I'm
>certain you won't admit it. You've suggested that a "gentle nudge on the
>shoulder" would have been enough to let you know of your mistake.
>
>Sorry, but you blasted into this newsgroup offering advice without
>knowing what you were talking about, then proceeded to hurl insults to
>and fro at everyone and anyone.

I think one of the features of Usenet (and perhaps the Internet as a
whole) is that a lurker is able to get to know members of the group far
before the group gets to know the members.

So, we have situations where people feel comfortable enough to post,
thinking they have been around and know what the SOP is. What the group
sees is someone that posts something that goes against rules that have
been established.

Funny, ain't it?

Jaybee, hang around. We've all had our own "trial by fire". And,
remember, we're all only glowing electrons on your screen.

cheers,

jen

It's all good fun until somebody puts an eye out.

Man Friday

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

In article <329f4da3....@netnews.worldnet.att.net>, Paul Harwood
<Pa...@computerbits.com> writes

>Do we actually *have* any academics here? Let's see ...

Hey, I went to school and I have a really bright shirt. Colour, that is,
intellectualy it's a bit dim. I've got a book, too. Nearly finished
colouring it in, as well.

Can I still be an intellectual peacock?
----------------------------
Paul (Man) Friday - the father of the beast.
http://www.devce.demon.co.uk

Paul Harwood

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

On Fri, 29 Nov 1996 08:31:21 -0800, Jaybee <jbou...@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

>Paul Harwood wrote:

<snip>

>> You would also have avoided both the embarrassment of
>> admitting that you had lurked here for a month and not bothered to

>> read the FAQ, and the concomitant urge to call us silly names.
>> approval."
>>

> Embarassment? Hardly: I cross-posted to three or four subs, all of
>which but one (guess which) accept literary submissions. My error was
>minor, nothing over which to conduct a freaking court martial. One nudge

>on the shoulder would have been considered civil, at least in a normal
>environment.

I really don't have any desire to get into a lengthy debate with you
on this topic. As you say, this is more of a molehill than a mountain.
If you had simply said "Sorry. I didn't understand. I apologize."
immediately after being informed that misc.writing is not the place to
post writing samples, this thread would have died a quick and merciful
death.

Instead of apologizing, though, you chose to insult us; and now, to
add a little spice, you try to blame the whole situation on the people
here by claiming that we somehow provoked you by not providing a
"nudge on the shoulder."

Herewith at least two "nudges" that you should have received; they
certainly showed up on *my* server:

On 28 Nov 1996 11:06:00 GMT, de...@gate.net (Deck Deckert) wrote:

>Jaybee wrote:
> I`ve been reading this newsgroup for about a month now,
> and I`d like to offer this bit of advice to users who
> submit stories for critical approval:
>

>Unh....This may or may not be full of good advice for two of the three
>groups you cross-posted to, but it doesn't apply to misc.writing.
>

>The pertinent piece of advice for posting stories to
>misc.writing is:
> DON'T
>
>Deck

and

On Thu, 28 Nov 1996 19:24:16 GMT, wcg...@cris.com (Wendy Chatley
Green) wrote:

>Jaybee <jbou...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>:I`ve been reading this newsgroup for about a month now, and I`d like to

>:offer this bit of advice to users who submit stories for critical
>:approval:
>

> As Keeper of the FAQs and Posting Guidelines, I'd like to
>offer this quote from the Guidelines:
>
> Writing samples: Definitely don't. Post them to
> rec.arts.prose or rec.arts.poems, or maybe alt.prose or some
> of the other alt.* groups. If everyone posted their samples
> here, the informative posts would be drowned in a tide of
> bandwidth.
>
>The only stories permitted are the MWVille stories, which rules and
>arcane procedures are explained in the Posting Guidelines.
>
>If anyone wants a copy of these Guidelines, they are posted every
>Monday, available at http://vanbc.wimsey.com/~sdkwok/mwrit.html
>and from me via e-mail.
>

>BTW, Jaybee--if you've been in misc,writing a month, you've been
>exposed to the FAQ and Guidelines four times; it's considered an
>excellent idea to read these if you want to participate in a
>newsgroup.

What exactly do you consider those posts, if not "nudges"?

>But once again misc.writing is quite the freak of nature.

Now we're freaks of nature? First we're academic peacocks, then freaks
of nature ... what next? A gentle suggestion for you: name-calling
rarely does much good.

>One user even suggested an apology (I even thought at first she must
>have meant a "retraction"), and now you, who took a considerable amount
>of your time to lambaste me over the proper angle of the pinky when
>drinking tea. I think my last post more relevant than ever.

Pinky angle? Drinking tea? What? I remember taking some time to
respond to a poster who had dropped by and flung an unthinking insult
our way. I have no memory of discussing tea. Can you refresh my memory
for me?

>> *Then* start offering advice. Maybe people will listen, maybe not --
>> but you won't be hooted off the stage.
>>

> Whoa, Freud must have known a thing or two after all. Is that how you
>regard posting: a performance? Solicitation for approval?

I will gently remind you that a stage has more than one use. I applaud
your association of the stage with the theatre, but that is not what I
had in mind. And even if it had been -- so what? Each post is a
thought presented to thousands of faceless others for edification or
entertainment or -- as in your case -- a stick in the eye. Hmmm. I
think you might be on to something with your theatre analogy.

> "Strutting peacocks"... how could I ever be so wrong. I feel
>embarassment and the "concomitant" urge to burst into derisive laughter.

Now you are considering throwing some derisive laughter our way. What
is it with people these days?

>> Yes. It at once
>> admits your thorough ignorance of exactly who posts here -- ignorance
>> you *should* have erased in your month of lurking -- and conveys the
>> admission, however sneeringly given, that you at least recognize
>> quality when you see it.
>

> Sure, and the emperor wasn't naked, he was only wearing invisible
>clothes. But in a newsgroup full of emperors, that is never an issue.

I love non-sequitor reasoning. It avoids issues and provides ample
opportunity for insult. Let me see if I can do it, too: You say the
emperor wasn't naked; *I* say Cinderella's coach has just turned into
a pumpkin, but she's a little too preoccupied to notice.

> I too used to agonize on the proper use of adjectives when writing.
>Then I got tired of the verbal masturbation.

I take it you no longer agonize over your verbal masturbation. That is
all in your favor.

> I could tell you that I
>simply clicked off that newsgroup when I realized my mistake, without
>melodrama or fanfare.

By "that newsgroup" you mean *this* newsgroup? As far as I can tell,
we are only posting in misc.writing.

>But somehow I think you'd manage to twist it into
>a reality more agreeable and satisfying to your vanity. Whatever strikes
>your fancy.

Now I'm vain. And fanciful. Let's see: So far in this post you have
called me a freak of nature, one worthy of derisive laughter, and a
naked emperor who is both vain and fanciful. Can these be combined
into one pithy insult? Let's try:

Harwood, you're a naturally freakish naked emperor and I laugh
derisively at your vain fancy! I verbally masturbate at your
adjectives!

Hmmm. No. Doesn't quite work, does it? Well, in any event, I still
have some hope that you'll simply call off this silly thread before it
really gets going. Despite your initial impression, people here are
not evil. They *do* react to thoughtless insults (as do most people on
Usenet).

Paul "Naked Emperor" Harwood

Paul Harwood

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

On Fri, 29 Nov 1996 17:20:34 +0000, Man Friday
<Man.F...@devce.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <329f4da3....@netnews.worldnet.att.net>, Paul Harwood
><Pa...@computerbits.com> writes
>>Do we actually *have* any academics here? Let's see ...
>
>Hey, I went to school and I have a really bright shirt. Colour, that is,
>intellectualy it's a bit dim. I've got a book, too. Nearly finished
>colouring it in, as well.
>
>Can I still be an intellectual peacock?

It does sound like fun, doesn't it? I vote we all put on our gaudiest
bowling shirts and have an official Peacock Day. Peahens welcome.
Academics too.

Paul Harwood

Jaybee

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

Paul Harwood wrote:

> I really don't have any desire to get into a lengthy debate with you
> on this topic. As you say, this is more of a molehill than a mountain.
> If you had simply said "Sorry. I didn't understand. I apologize."
> immediately after being informed that misc.writing is not the place to
> post writing samples, this thread would have died a quick and merciful
> death.

I sure wish you HAD taken your own advice, because now I find
myself in
the unpleasant position of having to play adult. So I deleted the rest
of your post (several pages of not-making-a-mountain-into-a-molehill...
some *MUST* have the last word, at all cost) and will reply only to the
part which sets the tone for the rest: those nudges which you quote
succeeded the offending e-mails sent to me. Besides, my generalizations
should not offend you unless you felt concerned, now should they?

I've accepted the invitations from others to stay on, at least
for a
while, and maybe even to have myself proven wrong. But I won't continue
this thread here.

Jaybee

Paul Harwood

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

On Fri, 29 Nov 1996 22:04:27 -0800, Jaybee <jbou...@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

> I sure wish you HAD taken your own advice, because now I find
>myself in the unpleasant position of having to play adult.

Play adult? Good heavens -- don't do that. You'll be the only one
here.

Paul Harwood

BTW, welcome to misc.writing

Jaybee

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

Paul Harwood wrote:

> Play adult? Good heavens -- don't do that. You'll be the only one
> here.
>
> Paul Harwood
>
> BTW, welcome to misc.writing

As I said: it would be most unpleasant.

Jaybee

katym...@aol.com

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

Reading threads like this is like being married to someone who absolutely
insists on having the last word and never shuts up about how they aren't
speaking to you.....

Congratulations, Jaybee, on joining misc.writing and immediately
exhibiting many of the worst prevailing characteristics of posters on this
board (myself included).

And what are these worst characteristics? Well, I think we should take a
vote on that. Hmmm... let's see, the candidates are arrogance,
stubbornness, intellectual snobbery, immaturity, single-minded agenda,
tilting at windmills, deafness to alternate points of view, complete
ignorance of literature accompanied by loud proclamations that one is a
writer, procrastination of one's own work to take up useless cyber fights,
misguided competitiveness toward people we know nothing about, inability
to confine responses to a few choice rebuttals rather than dissecting the
whole meaningless offending post, love of one's own (dim) wit, listing a
dozen examples when one or two would do (as I have done here)..... have I
missed anything?

Please note that I am not necessarily talking about you, personally,
Jaybee, just the very human behaviors that seem to emerge in us all when
we enter a situation like misc.writing. Do yourself a favor: fight them.

KatyMunger
(Hey, I can afford to waste time here today-- I finished my book a day
BEFORE the deadline...)

Bill Slattery

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

> Can I still be an intellectual peacock?

Recently there was a contretemps here about sexual self-gratification.
It upset some of the younger ones. I am sure what you suggest speaking
about here will be greeted with less than universal approval. Oscar
Wilde was here for a time. He wanted to discuss a plumbing matter having
to do with a petcock. Dudgeon was high, Paul. Here in writers we speak
of pencil-sharpening techniques. The Palmer Method. Any number of
technical matters, but discussions of p......s is a definitely in every
nice person's bad books. What the fuck is the matter with you, anyhow?

Paul Harwood

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

On 30 Nov 1996 15:33:44 GMT, katym...@aol.com wrote:

>KatyMunger
>(Hey, I can afford to waste time here today-- I finished my book a day
>BEFORE the deadline...)

Yay, Katy!!

Paul H

Now. About those other points you made. About people here being
antagonistic? Yeah. I've got a bone to pick with you ...

Jaybee

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

Bill Slattery wrote:

Here in writers we speak
> of pencil-sharpening techniques. The Palmer Method. Any number of
> technical matters, but discussions of p......s is a definitely in every
> nice person's bad books. What the fuck is the matter with you, anyhow?

I'm sure you mean p..ii, which is the plural form, no?

Jaybee
stickler at times.

Jaybee

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

katym...@aol.com wrote:

> Congratulations, Jaybee, on joining misc.writing and immediately
> exhibiting many of the worst prevailing characteristics of posters on this
> board (myself included).

Six years ago I joined a local BBS, which was netted across Canada, the
U.S. and parts of the world. My first post was an anonymous flame of
someone's dreadful Harlequin romance. The replies I received made the
ones here look like a velvet glove across my cheek. Two months ago this
BBS closed and I was left on the threshold turning the doorknob
frantically and peering through the painted windows.

During those years I met a dozen real users at get-togethers, made
friends, and accumulated several pen-pals. I had as many foes as allies
(although a bit more of the former on the gun-control and religious
subs) but the last thing I was was complacent or agreeable for the mere
sake of diplomacy.

What I'm trying to say is that I tend to keep to myself most of the
time unless a sub provokes a reaction, which is usually a strong one.
It's a tribute to misc.writing, in some twisted way, believe me. The
proof is that I'm still here, having discussions with the lot of you,
while alt.prose and the rest continue to trudge along with mediocre
poetry over tea and biscuits.

I'm surly and cantankerous at periods (did you know there is a theory
about a male cycle similar to the menstrual one?) but not always, and I
never bite familiar acquaintances. On ne se refait pas.

Jaybee

David

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96
to mulv...@fp.co.nz

Maggie Mulvaney wrote:

[snip]

> heh. I've never been called an academic peacock before. In fact, I've
> never been called academic either. As my young friend Rachel would
> say;
>
> Kewl!
>
> (strutting) mmy

> * MMY * mulv...@fp.co.nz *
> * Maggie Mulvaney * http://www.nmia.com/~entropy/maggie/ *

You've good reason to strut; nicely done Web page, though the
graphic at the bottom is a bit large. Well written. Good information.
David -- http://www.nodeadtrees.com/
Dead trees are linear.
The Interactive Novel is not.
No Dead Trees, where chaos is more than theory.

Jaybee

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

Paul Harwood wrote:

> Yay, Katy!!
>
> Paul H

Tsk-tsk, Paul. Now we must all make an effort to stop the tit-for-tat
if this thread is to die. I'm wiling to give it a go, how's about you?

Jaybee

David

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96
to jbou...@sympatico.ca

Jaybee's not a troll; I've seen enough of them on alt.gothic to know
the difference. And I've been around the Net for more than 10 years.
Jaybee is a newbie who saw what he perceived as a void. He attempted
to fill it with the beginnings of a FAQ, not knowing that they already
existed (REM: he's a newbie). Then he chose an unfortunate course of
action; he responded sharply to literate and computer aware group.
oops.
Now he's asked for a truce.
Accept it.
The Internet's founded on the *free* exchange of information; on the
GNU principle; on Linux and a thousand more *free* things. Jaybee was
attempting to -- for *free* -- begin a set of guidelines for posting
stories -- a FAQ.
We need people like Jaybee. True. We need to educate them in the
ways of the Net. But that shouldn't include mail-bombing for such a
slight offense.

Paul Harwood

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

On Sat, 30 Nov 1996 16:36:02 -0800, Jaybee <jbou...@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

Tit for tat? I thought I was congratulating Katy on her achievement.
Katy? Isn't that what I was doing?

Paul Harwood

I'm so confused. We used to be able to congratulate people here.

Paul Harwood

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

On Sat, 30 Nov 1996 17:23:49 +0000, David <dobe...@acy.digex.net>
wrote:

>Jaybee's not a troll; I've seen enough of them on alt.gothic to know
>the difference. And I've been around the Net for more than 10 years.
> Jaybee is a newbie who saw what he perceived as a void. He attempted
>to fill it with the beginnings of a FAQ, not knowing that they already
>existed (REM: he's a newbie). Then he chose an unfortunate course of
>action; he responded sharply to literate and computer aware group.
> oops.
> Now he's asked for a truce.
> Accept it.
> The Internet's founded on the *free* exchange of information; on the
>GNU principle; on Linux and a thousand more *free* things. Jaybee was
>attempting to -- for *free* -- begin a set of guidelines for posting
>stories -- a FAQ.
> We need people like Jaybee. True. We need to educate them in the
>ways of the Net. But that shouldn't include mail-bombing for such a
>slight offense.

Was he really mail-bombed? The impression I got was that he received a
couple of e-mails pointing out his transgression; he reacted to the
e-mails in a public and somewhat regrettable fashion, sparking a
public exchange. I will readily accept correction here; if he was
indeed mail-bombed, then my (sincere) condolences to him, and I extend
whatever apologies he will accept. Mail-bombing is certainly out of
character for misc.writing.

Paul Harwood

Emperor of all that lies naked before him ...

katym...@aol.com

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

>>Paul Harwood wrote:
> Yay, Katy!!
> Paul H

>>Tsk-tsk, Paul. Now we must all make an effort to stop the tit-for-tat
if this thread is to die. I'm wiling to give it a go, how's about you?

Jaybee<<

Hey wait a minute! We're not stopping now! Paul was congratulating ME on
finishing my book a day before the publisher's deadline, not on what I
said to you. I believe you must have a touch of Louis XIV in you, Jaybee,
no? And didn't your mamma ever teach you that sprinkling French
expressions around like holy water is one of the seven deadly warnings
signs of being an academic peacock?

Stop being such a pretentious little whippersnapper and just be yourself
and you'll get along fine.

KatyMunger
(Here's hoping we're entertaining all those people in misc.writing who
have better things to do on a rainy Saturday afternoon...)

Paul Harwood

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

On 30 Nov 1996 22:51:42 GMT, katym...@aol.com wrote:

>KatyMunger
>(Here's hoping we're entertaining all those people in misc.writing who
>have better things to do on a rainy Saturday afternoon...)

And I thought it only rained in Oregon!

Paul "Mossbacked but Naked" Harwood

Lavina

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

David wrote:

> Jaybee's not a troll; I've seen enough of them on alt.gothic to know
> the difference. And I've been around the Net for more than 10 years.
> Jaybee is a newbie who saw what he perceived as a void. He
> attempted to fill it with the beginnings of a FAQ, not knowing that
> they already existed (REM: he's a newbie). Then he chose an
> unfortunate course of action; he responded sharply to literate and
> computer aware group.
> oops. Now he's asked for a truce.
> Accept it.

I concur. I think Jaybee will fit in just fine!

I suspect he will introduce some lively banter, provide
thoughtful input and rouse the rabble now and again. Just
like the rest of us. C'est la vie!

Cheers, Lavina

Douglas Wyman

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

Jaybee <jbou...@sympatico.ca> said to the group:

> I'm surly and cantankerous at periods (did you know there is a theory
>about a male cycle similar to the menstrual one?)

Theory hell! Absolute fact! My ex-partner of many years had such a
strong cycle that I secretly started plotting it. It was accompanied
by the water retention and nasty attitude for which we men often
criticize women. It followed a cycle of appx. 28 days though would
vary a bit. He was nearly a week late one time and I thought I was
going to be a daddy.

Doug (certified daddy material)

Douglas J. Wyman <dwy...@halcyon.com> HTTP://www.halcyon.com/dwyman/

jmi...@aol.com

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

In article <32A0D2...@sympatico.ca>, Jaybee wrote:

>Tsk-tsk, Paul. Now we must all make an effort to stop the tit-for-tat
>if this thread is to die.

I'm trying to remember the naughty joke from Sophie Tucker about "tit for
tat."

Jack (Something about having trouble, considering her ample figure, in
finding a gentleman with enough tat to make it a fair trade?) Mingo

Jaybee

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

Lavina wrote:
> I suspect he will introduce some lively banter, provide
> thoughtful input and rouse the rabble now and again. Just
> like the rest of us. C'est la vie!

You pretentious whipper-snapper! You commie! You troll!! You... you...
you FRENCH TART!!

Speak white!!!!

Jaybee
(just trying to "emulate" other writers to fit in)
Ouch, my tongue is hurting my cheek...

Jaybee

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

katym...@aol.com wrote:

> Hey wait a minute! We're not stopping now! Paul was congratulating ME on
> finishing my book a day before the publisher's deadline, not on what I
> said to you. I believe you must have a touch of Louis XIV in you, Jaybee,
> no?

My mistake. One of his taglines (the emperor one) made me wary, rightly
so.

> And didn't your mamma ever teach you that sprinkling French
> expressions around like holy water is one of the seven deadly warnings
> signs of being an academic peacock?
>
> Stop being such a pretentious little whippersnapper and just be yourself
> and you'll get along fine.

Pretentious? Whatever "my mama" taught me, she did in french, so I
doubt that little bit of advice had any pertinence then. Montreal, you
know? But I wasn't baptized "Maurice", or eat brie on a baguette, or
even ever say "Oooh-la-la". My experience with french is rather mundane
and boring, I'm sorry to say, at least to most deluded Americans. As for
the expression, I didn't know the english equivalent so I assumed some
of you might.

First I got castrated for under-estimating you all, now I'm having my
ears boxed for over-estimating? Find a just middle, Katy dear, I'm
losing patience with the caprice of a select few on this sub. And to
think that *I've* been called over-sensitive!!!

And lastly: this *IS* "being myself", and while it probably offends you
I most certainly will not make apologies for it. End of story,
medication is strongly recommended should symptoms persist!

And quit making references to your age, you snob!

Jaybee
exasperated with the eggshells on the floor.

Bill Price

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

In article <32ab6c38....@netnews.worldnet.att.net>,

Pa...@computerbits.com (Paul Harwood) wrote:
>On 30 Nov 1996 15:33:44 GMT, katym...@aol.com wrote:
>

>>KatyMunger
>>(Hey, I can afford to waste time here today-- I finished my book a day
>>BEFORE the deadline...)
>>

>Yay, Katy!!
>
>Paul H
>
>Now. About those other points you made. About people here being
>antagonistic? Yeah. I've got a bone to pick with you ...

Don't fall for that trap, Katy--it's probably a *turkey* bone.

-bp

Bill Slattery

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

Of course. How silly of me.

Bill Slattery

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96
to jmi...@aol.com

That was it. She'd inveigle (inviegle...Netscape has no spellchecker) a
guy into saying tit for tat and then kittenishly say, "tat."

Anna Banana

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

Jaybee wrote:
: Pretentious? Whatever "my mama" taught me, she did in french, so I

: doubt that little bit of advice had any pertinence then. Montreal, you
: know? But I wasn't baptized "Maurice", or eat brie on a baguette, or
: even ever say "Oooh-la-la". My experience with french is rather mundane
: and boring, I'm sorry to say, at least to most deluded Americans. As for
: the expression, I didn't know the english equivalent so I assumed some
: of you might.

As a person who sometimes does speak with French-Canadians,
I can confirm (from personal experience) that few (if any)
Quebecers actually say "oooh-la-la". They do say "la"
(I've heard them) and even "la-la", (when they're singing)
but they don't follow their "oooh" with two "la"s (at least
not while I'm listening).

And, as a person who has had occasion to ask them, I can
vouch for Jaybee's implication that they (French-Canadians)
do indeed put their pants on one leg at a time. They do,
however, put both the sock and the shoe on one foot before
they dress the other foot. I'll never understand this...
but what the heck, they're French. What can you do?

Vive la difference!

Anna
Pretentious? Nah. They just dress differently.

Paul Harwood

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

Hey -- at least it ain't a chicken bone.

Paul "Da Duck" Harwood

Yessirree Bob. I've pulled many a boner in my time, I have

Paul Harwood

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

On Sun, 01 Dec 1996 00:59:08 -0800, Jaybee <jbou...@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

> My mistake. One of his taglines (the emperor one) made me wary, rightly
>so.

<mmmpf> <mmmmpruh> <MAPF!>

<Tears himself away from the clutches of his better judgement>

Say Jaybee? Here's what I wrote:

>Yay, Katy!!
>
>Paul H
>
>Now. About those other points you made. About people here being
>antagonistic? Yeah. I've got a bone to pick with you ...

>Proving a ham sandwich is better than true love:
>Nothing is better than true love.
>A ham sandwich is better than nothing ...

To which "emperor tagline" were you responding?

And just what bothers you about an "emperor tagline" in the first
place? I have it on excellent authority that I am a naked emperor, and
-- being also a bit of a peacock -- I enjoy strutting it about. Why
does that make you wary?

Paul "Naked Emperor -- and Damned Proud of It!" Harwood

katym...@aol.com

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

>>And quit making references to your age, you snob!
Jaybee
exasperated with the eggshells on the floor.<<

Oohh, Jaybee-- you're kinda cute when you're angry!

KatyMunger
(I'm sorry, didn't I tell you? I LIKE whippersnappers of any size!
Seriously.)

MDurning

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

In article <57sagh$c...@news.interlog.com>,

Anna Banana <ban...@gold.interlog.com> wrote:
>Jaybee wrote:
>: Pretentious? Whatever "my mama" taught me, she did in french, so I
>: doubt that little bit of advice had any pertinence then. Montreal, you
>: know? But I wasn't baptized "Maurice", or eat brie on a baguette, or
>: even ever say "Oooh-la-la". My experience with french is rather mundane
>: and boring, I'm sorry to say, at least to most deluded Americans. As for
>: the expression, I didn't know the english equivalent so I assumed some
>: of you might.
>
>As a person who sometimes does speak with French-Canadians,
>I can confirm (from personal experience) that few (if any)
>Quebecers actually say "oooh-la-la". They do say "la"
>(I've heard them) and even "la-la", (when they're singing)
>but they don't follow their "oooh" with two "la"s (at least
>not while I'm listening).

AHA! BEING a Montrealer, and one who speaks French at that, I
must point out that French-Canadians *often* say la-la while *not*
singing. It's kind of like us English speakers saying "yes-no" or
"no-but" Just a way of speaking..... la - la!!

BTW, wanna know how to say "academic peacock" in French? :-)
Marijke
--

>> Nothing is too small to make changes. Snowflakes are so tiny & fragile >>
>> but look at what they can do when a bunch of them stick together. >>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Jaybee

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

Paul Harwood wrote:

> To which "emperor tagline" were you responding?
>
> And just what bothers you about an "emperor tagline" in the first
> place? I have it on excellent authority that I am a naked emperor, and
> -- being also a bit of a peacock -- I enjoy strutting it about. Why
> does that make you wary?

Should I even have to reply to you, PAUL, you self-important child?

The fact, PAUL, is that long after I have called a truce on the matter,
PAUL, you still persist in needling me with thinly-veiled references,
PAUL. It demonstrates what a shifty-eyed, condescending, self-serving
hypocrite you are, PAUL! I at least have the courage to tell you to your
face. Truth is, in street terms (which is sure to make you cover your
mouth in disdain), you're stirring shit for the only sake of creating a
stink and blaming it on me. What's the matter, PAUL, my conceding the
last word to you was a bit too easy, must you keep nipping at my ankles?

You don't even deserve the grace of my apology. Go find other users
who'll commiserate with you about bad evil Jaybee, and you can share
anecdotes for years to come as you lick your bruised egos. I'll do the
only thing I should have done with you from the beginning: ignore you.

Jaybee
singling out the arrogant ones and keeping notes.

elliemk

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96
to Paul Harwood

Paul Harwood wrote: snipitydoodahdayooooo -

> Paul "Naked Emperor -- and Damned Proud of It!" Harwood

Do you need some new clothes?

Ellie (who has some blue hairy costumes...)
Kuykendall (that might just be perfect! :)

--
Ellie Kuykendall
Freelance Writer, Editor & Researcher

Also Associate Editor for U.S. of:
Pure Fiction: best selling novels and how to write them...
WEB: http://www.purefiction.com

William T. Quick

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

Jaybee <jbou...@sympatico.ca> wrote in article
<32A14A...@sympatico.ca>...

> You pretentious whipper-snapper! You commie! You troll!! You... you...
> you FRENCH TART!!
>
> Speak white!!!!

No, I think Lavina's more french bread - with fresh crab. White french
bread, though...

Best,

Bill

--

W. T. Quick | Iceberg Productions | ice...@iw3p.com
Science Fiction Writers of America | The Authors Guild

Lavina

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

Jaybee wrote:

> Lavina wrote:
> > I suspect he will introduce some lively banter, provide
> > thoughtful input and rouse the rabble now and again. Just
> > like the rest of us. C'est la vie!

> You pretentious whipper-snapper! You commie! You troll!!

>You... you... you FRENCH TART!!

Moi? Mais non! More a combo of Yorkshire Pudding, Irish Stew, Scottish
Haggis and German sauerbraten, thank you very much (merci bien).

> Speak white!!!!

Vanilla, tapioca, mashed potatoes, blanc mange...

> Jaybee (just trying to "emulate" other writers to fit in)
> Ouch, my tongue is hurting my cheek...

Yeah, those foreign languages can be pretty tricky!

Cheers, Lavina

Paul Harwood

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

On Sun, 01 Dec 1996 14:11:58 -0800, Jaybee <jbou...@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

> Should I even have to reply to you, PAUL, you self-important child?
>
> The fact, PAUL, is that long after I have called a truce on the matter,
>PAUL, you still persist in needling me with thinly-veiled references,
>PAUL. It demonstrates what a shifty-eyed, condescending, self-serving
>hypocrite you are, PAUL! I at least have the courage to tell you to your
>face. Truth is, in street terms (which is sure to make you cover your
>mouth in disdain), you're stirring shit for the only sake of creating a
>stink and blaming it on me. What's the matter, PAUL, my conceding the
>last word to you was a bit too easy, must you keep nipping at my ankles?
>
> You don't even deserve the grace of my apology. Go find other users
>who'll commiserate with you about bad evil Jaybee, and you can share
>anecdotes for years to come as you lick your bruised egos. I'll do the
>only thing I should have done with you from the beginning: ignore you.
>

>Jaybee
>singling out the arrogant ones and keeping notes.

That's MR. PAUL to you, bub.

Mr. Paul "Naked as a Peacock Emperor" Harwood

Glad you're taking notes. Don't want to strain your pea-sized brain.

katym...@aol.com

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

>>I'll do the only thing I should have done with you from the beginning:
ignore you.
Jaybee<<

Now listen, Jaybee, despite some minor indications of pomposity I could do
without, I really have felt from the start that it would be delightful to
have you on this board. I have enjoyed sparring with you this weekend.
You seem very articulate and I welcome interjections of serious
discussions here on misc.writing. But you are WAY off base about Paul, who
is actually a very mild-mannered denizen of misc.writing. Perhaps you are
missing his dry sense of hunor? More to the point, do you realize the
absurdity of your multiple posts maintaining that you will continue to
ignore him? You aren't ignoring him at all, you are rising to his bait and
biting hard: hook, line and sinker. If you really don't want to talk to
him, then just ignore him and talk to the rest of us. It's easy. Don't
waste so much energy on it. It's making me nervous.

Katy Munger
Your guests will never know....

Anna Banana

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

Marijke wrote:
: AHA! BEING a Montrealer, and one who speaks French at that, I
: must point out that French-Canadians *often* say la-la while *not*
: singing. It's kind of like us English speakers saying "yes-no" or
: "no-but" Just a way of speaking..... la - la!!

They say la-la? Hmm. I've never heard this. But I usually try
to impress on French-Canadians, before I start a conversation,
just how little I'd actually understand if they tried to speak
French to me. It saves time and misunderstandings.

Perhaps they save their la-la's for those who can appreciate them.

: BTW, wanna know how to say "academic peacock" in French? :-)

Sure. Also how to pronounce your first name, if you don't mind.

Mareeka?

Anna

Lavina

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

William T. Quick wrote:

> Jaybee wrote
> > you FRENCH TART!!

> No, I think Lavina's more french bread - with fresh crab. White
> french bread, though...

Exactly!

Now stop it, you're making me hungry!

Cheers, Lavina

Paul Harwood

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

On Sun, 01 Dec 1996 11:50:28 -0800, elliemk <ell...@pobox.com> wrote:

>Paul Harwood wrote: snipitydoodahdayooooo -
>>
>> Paul "Naked Emperor -- and Damned Proud of It!" Harwood
>
>Do you need some new clothes?
>
>Ellie (who has some blue hairy costumes...)
>Kuykendall (that might just be perfect! :)

Nah. I want to flaunt my naked emperorosity for a while.

Jaybee

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

katym...@aol.com wrote:

> Now listen, Jaybee, despite some minor indications of pomposity I could do
> without, I really have felt from the start that it would be delightful to
> have you on this board.

I have no problem with you, Katy.

> But you are WAY off base about Paul, who
> is actually a very mild-mannered denizen of misc.writing. Perhaps you are
> missing his dry sense of hunor?

You mean like THIS quote from his post, Katy:

"Glad you're taking notes. Don't want to strain your pea-sized brain."

I had resolved to ignore him at first, but he made a half-heartened
apology and since everyone else seemed ready to welcome me in spite of
my blunder, I figured I'd wipe the slate clean and start over. But
surely you can't reasonably ignore his prodding, Katy? I'm not going to
have to do a desperate cut-and-paste from all of his posts to/about me,
am I? Isn't the above quote proof enough?

Dry sense of humour my foot, Katy. He's been every step of the way a
vindictive brat, and he'll be treated as such. If Paul is a friend of
yours I suggest you reason with him in e-mail because I've tried and it
didn't work, and I have no patience with children.

Jaybee

MDurning

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

In article <57su2e$q...@news.interlog.com>,

Anna Banana <ban...@gold.interlog.com> wrote:
Also how to pronounce your first name, if you don't mind.

> >Mareeka? > >

ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

<deep breath 1, deep breath 2>

OK, I'm fine, really I am........

It is, as close as we can get it in English:

Mar-'eye-ka

Not now, not ever, Mareeka!!!!!! I used to work with a Marika who
pronounced her name *that* way and many times a coworker would come into
the nursing station asking for Marika, I would turn and give the death
glare with the "correct" pronunciation, only to discover that it wasnt'
*me* they wanted....<I'll just skulk back into my own corner now....>

Mar-eye-ka

William T. Quick

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

Jaybee <jbou...@sympatico.ca> wrote in article > Jaybee

> singling out the arrogant ones and keeping notes.

About what?

The Judge

Paul Harwood

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

On 1 Dec 1996 23:57:21 GMT, katym...@aol.com wrote:

>Now listen, Jaybee, despite some minor indications of pomposity I could do
>without, I really have felt from the start that it would be delightful to

>have you on this board. I have enjoyed sparring with you this weekend.
>You seem very articulate and I welcome interjections of serious

>discussions here on misc.writing. But you are WAY off base about Paul, who

>is actually a very mild-mannered denizen of misc.writing. Perhaps you are

>missing his dry sense of hunor? More to the point, do you realize the
>absurdity of your multiple posts maintaining that you will continue to
>ignore him? You aren't ignoring him at all, you are rising to his bait and
>biting hard: hook, line and sinker. If you really don't want to talk to
>him, then just ignore him and talk to the rest of us. It's easy. Don't
>waste so much energy on it. It's making me nervous.

Awwww Katy -- just when it wuz gettin fun you hadda go 'n' ruin it
all. Criminy. Now he'll probably start bein' civil and all and *then*
where the heck will I be? And if he starts bein' nice and all, does
that mean I can't be the Naked Emperor any more? Great.

Spoil sport.

Don't listen to her, Jaybee! Tell me one more time that you're gonna
ignore me!

Paul "Still Naked After All These Posts" Harwood

Katy? Shhhh on the "mild-mannered denizen" stuff. I want Jaybee to
think he's got a tiger by the tail. Won't he be surprised when the
*real* tigers come out? I'm just a widdo teddy bear ...

Jaybee

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

You know, filters. Seems to be working.

Jaybee

Anna Banana

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

I made an attempt at the pronunciation
of her first name and nearly killed Marijke:

: ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:
: NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

: It is, as close as we can get it in English:

:
: Mar-'eye-ka
:
: Not now, not ever, Mareeka!!!!!!

Point taken, but how do you say "academic peacock" in French?

I had a best girlfriend in first grade who pronounced her
name Mareeka. Her background was Croatian, if I remember
correctly. I seldom saw her name written because we often
forgot to sign our correspondence, which consisted mostly of
"I like you. Do you like me?" and "Do you want to play?"
(Come to think of it, my letters haven't changed all that
much.) And I've forgotten how she spelled her name. I'm
also not sure how much she anglicized the pronunciation.

Anyway, the spelling of your name looked familiar, Marijke,
and I thought I'd go ahead and ask. Nothing ventured,
nothing gained.

So, now when I see Marijke, I'll think Mar-eye-ka. Or if I
do think Mareeka, I won't think it too loudly.

All these different pronunciations make the world such a
complicated place.

Things would be so much easier if everyone just called
themselves Norman.

Norman Banana
...Norm for short

Paul Harwood

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

On 2 Dec 1996 17:07:32 GMT, jmch...@emerald.tufts.edu (Jael McHenry)
wrote:

>Paul Harwood (Pa...@computerbits.com) wrote:
>
>: Nah. I want to flaunt my naked emperorosity for a while.
>
>When you're tired of that (or when it gets cold), have Wendy knit you a
>cozy. I hear she does good work.
>
>Jael, restraining comments on what cold might do to Paul's emperorosity

Eeeeek! Wendy! Help! If this keeps up, I will be neither a twirler
*nor* a shaker -- just a little wiggler. Maybe I should be the
*mostly* naked emperor.

Paul "Ignore the small wiggler behind that cozy" Harwood

Jael McHenry

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

Paul Harwood (Pa...@computerbits.com) wrote:

: Nah. I want to flaunt my naked emperorosity for a while.

When you're tired of that (or when it gets cold), have Wendy knit you a
cozy. I hear she does good work.

Jael, restraining comments on what cold might do to Paul's emperorosity

Genius is of small use to a woman who does not know how to do her hair.

-- Edith Wharton, _The Touchstone_

Jaybee

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

Anna Banana wrote:

You don't. It's considered very rude, you know.

Jaybee

Jill May

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

Paul Harwood wrote:

> On 2 Dec 1996 17:07:32 GMT, jmch...@emerald.tufts.edu (Jael McHenry)
> wrote:
>
> >Paul Harwood (Pa...@computerbits.com) wrote:
> >
> >: Nah. I want to flaunt my naked emperorosity for a while.
> >
> >When you're tired of that (or when it gets cold), have Wendy knit you a
> >cozy. I hear she does good work.
> >
> >Jael, restraining comments on what cold might do to Paul's emperorosity
> >

> Eeeeek! Wendy! Help! If this keeps up, I will be neither a twirler
> *nor* a shaker -- just a little wiggler. Maybe I should be the
> *mostly* naked emperor.

Watch what you're saying. Wasn't it our own Pat M. who admitted, bravely I
might add, her fear of squiggly-wiggly things? :0

--Jill

MDurning

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

In article <57v1bu$a...@news.interlog.com>,

Anna Banana <ban...@gold.interlog.com> wrote:
>I made an attempt at the pronunciation
>of her first name and nearly killed Marijke:

It's ok, I have medication for that.. <g>

>Point taken, but how do you say "academic peacock" in French?

depends on if we are talking masculine or feminine.....

A peacock is a "paon" and a peahen is a "paonne"

Academic: "academique"

So, you can be a "paon academique" if you really want....

>I had a best girlfriend in first grade who pronounced her
>name Mareeka. Her background was Croatian, if I remember
>correctly. I seldom saw her name written because we often
>forgot to sign our correspondence,

Most people with this version of the name tend to spell it Marika....

>Anyway, the spelling of your name looked familiar, Marijke,
>and I thought I'd go ahead and ask. Nothing ventured,
>nothing gained.

I really should put it in my sig.........it's not as if this
hasn't been asked before!!

>So, now when I see Marijke, I'll think Mar-eye-ka. Or if I
>do think Mareeka, I won't think it too loudly.

Oh, but I will still hear it, I always hear it.....

>All these different pronunciations make the world such a
>complicated place.

Yeah, well, with a first name like <gulp> Clementine.....you'd
use Marijke too!!!! (it's my middle name)

>Things would be so much easier if everyone just called
>themselves Norman.

I've always been partial to Sam.......non-sexist at the same time...

Anna Banana

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

Jaybee quotes one of my more comprehensible posts:
: Anna Banana wrote:
: >

And replies:
: You don't. It's considered very rude, you know.

Hello darkness, my old friend... .

Anna
How depressing.

Jaybee

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

Yes, hum, well, seems like I was a bit too swift on the ol'
cut-'n-paste. Can't remember what I was replying to.

Jaybee

Paine Ellsworth

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

ooohhhhh! hey gang! -- let's put it to a vote! -- how
many want Jaybee to be president of m.w? -- seems to
be where this whole thing is headed! --

1) barges in
2) bestows a FAQ on us
3) gets all bent outta shape when we try to explain the
difference between a barf bag and a human being
4) calls a so-called truce (seems like every time i've
seen such "truces," Jaybee jumps in with a followup
hit on someone or something else that's wrong with
m.w)
5) even after multiple welcomes, Jaybee still posts
caustically (yawn)
6) picks on beloved Paul (forgiveable, but never
forgetable)
7) like a politician, Jaybee keeps jabbin' tryin to
get under our skin (kinda reminds me of the guy who
wanted to meet this really cute girl -- at a cafe,
he walked past her table, spilled a drink on her --
when she turned he stepped on her foot, was briefly
and intensely apologetic then quickly vanished --
the next day they saw each other and became best of
friends)

so whatdaya say? should we vote Jaybee in? heck why not
vote Jaybee into the US presidency (we could get around the
French/Canadian thing) -- this way, we could get rid o' that
nasty ol' first amendment we never liked -- Jaybee would
just filter it out! --

Paine (smokes filter kings, so ain't no better than nobody
else (double negative childishly intended)) Ellsworth

PS: personal note to Jaybee -- keep squelchin' your inner
child, and s/he'll return the favor someday

Paul Harwood

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

On Wed, 04 Dec 1996 02:28:32 -0500, Paine Ellsworth
<ron.le...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

<snip>

>6) picks on beloved Paul (forgiveable, but never
> forgetable)

Gotta be fair here, Paine -- he picked on me because I picked on him
because he was being a jerk.
<snip>

>so whatdaya say? should we vote Jaybee in? heck why not
>vote Jaybee into the US presidency (we could get around the
>French/Canadian thing) -- this way, we could get rid o' that
>nasty ol' first amendment we never liked -- Jaybee would
>just filter it out! --

He's got my vote. With a little luck, it won't be long before he has
99% of us -- you know, the arrogant ones -- "filtered," and then we
can proceed with life as usual.

To be fair to the poor guy, I think he's been trying to be less of a
jerk. I've noticed that his recent posts have been less imperious and
a little ... well, self-pitying. Maybe there's hope for him yet -- you
think?

Of course, we can still vote him king. As long as he's naked.

Paul "Nakedness worked for me" Harwood

David

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

Paine Ellsworth wrote:

> Jaybee wrote:
> >
> > William T. Quick wrote:
> > >
> > > Jaybee <jbou...@sympatico.ca> wrote in article > Jaybee
> > > >

> > > About what?
> > >
> > > The Judge
> >
> > You know, filters. Seems to be working.
> >
> > Jaybee
>
> ooohhhhh! hey gang! -- let's put it to a vote! -- how
> many want Jaybee to be president of m.w? -- seems to
> be where this whole thing is headed! --

[a snip of very much *excellent* stuff]

oops. arrogance. now you're filtered.
soon, jaybee won't be getting any mail.
except mine, of course. i'm not arrogant.
not in the least.
nor caustic. nor grouchy.
and i don't, absolutely don't, think jaybee's a troll.
nope. not at all. not even a little bit.

hmmm. president jaybee troll.
it's got a ring to it.
David -- http://www.nodeadtrees.com/
Dead trees are liner. The Interactive Novel is not.
NO DEAD TREES, where chaos is more than just a theory.

Anna Banana

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

Jaybee wrote:
: >
: >

You know, I have wondered about that. Although what you say
has some merit, in my opinion, it's still not something with
which I can completely agree.

I like the part about Brueghel, (or Breughel) though.

Anna
Also, the poem at the end.

Jaybee

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

Paine Ellsworth wrote:

> 7) like a politician, Jaybee keeps jabbin' tryin to
> get under our skin (kinda reminds me of the guy who
> wanted to meet this really cute girl -- at a cafe,
> he walked past her table, spilled a drink on her --
> when she turned he stepped on her foot, was briefly
> and intensely apologetic then quickly vanished --
> the next day they saw each other and became best of
> friends)

I hate to break the news to you, Paine, but misc. writing is not a cute
girl. Not even really.

Other than that, I thank you for your input. I promise you that your
post will be carefully studied and assessed in order to determine the
best course of action in implementing procedures to fulfill the
expectations of every citizen of misc.writing.

Vote Jaybee in '00!!

Jaybee

Jaybee

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

David wrote:

> oops. arrogance. now you're filtered.
> soon, jaybee won't be getting any mail.

Actually, filtering certain posts in misc.writing would be akin to
walking right past the monkey house at the zoo. I mean, their mimicks
and grimaces make them seem so HUMAN!

Jaybee
waiting for that tremendous tug on his line...

Jaybee

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

Oy! Finally, I have found my "voice" on misc.writing. The one that
makes everyone happy and me, popular.

Jaybee
[...]

Paine Ellsworth

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

'Lo Paul -- just like you to be so . . . forgiving --
evidently, judging by the dog fight you two have been
enjoying, filtering to Jaybee means about the same as
filtering a cig: lets the arrogant elements through
and blocks the more "boring" stuff --

i've greatly enjoyed the way Jaybee keeps ignoring you,
makes me wonder who's *really* naked around here --

hope for Jaybee? hmm -- allow me to reserve judgment on
this for awhile -- let's see if Jaybee sticks it out --

> Of course, we can still vote him king. As long as he's naked.
>
> Paul "Nakedness worked for me" Harwood

Paine (who sticks it out in fear of getting it cut off)
Ellsworth

Paine Ellsworth

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

Jaybee wrote:

> I hate to break the news to you, Paine, but misc. writing is not a cute
> girl. Not even really.
>
> Other than that, I thank you for your input. I promise you that your
> post will be carefully studied and assessed in order to determine the
> best course of action in implementing procedures to fulfill the
> expectations of every citizen of misc.writing.
>
> Vote Jaybee in '00!!
>
> Jaybee

thank you for your consideration in this matter

Paine (isn't '01 an election year?) Ellsworth

Paul Harwood

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

On Thu, 05 Dec 1996 01:42:51 -0500, Paine Ellsworth
<ron.le...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>'Lo Paul -- just like you to be so . . . forgiving --

Nah. The whole thing is just getting boring. It was fun while he was
blustering, but the spark left when he started whining. I plan to
simply parade about -- as naked as an academic peacock -- and enjoy
myself. If we're lucky, he'll do the same.

Paul "Short attention span" Harwood

The Chocolate Lady (Davida Chazan)

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

I say, wasn't that cm_...@alcor.concordia.ca (MDurning) who wrote:

>In article <57v1bu$a...@news.interlog.com>,
>Anna Banana <ban...@gold.interlog.com> wrote:
>>Things would be so much easier if everyone just called
>>themselves Norman.
> I've always been partial to Sam...

Hmmm. Well, I'm not too thrilled with the name Norman, and if you're
really interested in Sam, he's available (divorced, 42, computer geek
and my brother). Still, when all else fails - Fred.

Davida (who calls all her kids that when she can't remember their real
names) Chazan

(*)
| | | | |/| | | | |
(*) (*) (*) (*) |/| (*) (*) (*) (*)
|/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/|
|/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/|
|/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/|
|/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/|
|/| |/| |/| |/| (( )) |/| |/| |/| |/|
|/| |/| |/| |/| ( ) |/| |/| |/| |/|
(( )) (( )) (( )) (( )) ( ) (( )) (( )) (( )) (( ))
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) o.o ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) __/_\__ ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) \/ \/ ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) /_____\ ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) \./ ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) o o ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ((|)) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
( ) ( ) ( ) ( )(|)( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
( ) ( ) ( ) ((|)) ( ) ( ) ( )
( ) ( ) ( )(|)( ) ( ) ( )
( ) ( ) ((|)) ( ) ( )
( ) ((|)) ( )
((|))
((|))
((|))
ooooooo
ooooooooooooo
Happy ooooooooooooooooo Chanuka!
ooooooooooooooooooo

(*)
| | | | |/| | | | |
(*) (*) (*) (*) |/| (*) (*) (*) (*)
|/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/|
|/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/|
|/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/|
|/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/| |/|
|/| |/| |/| |/| (( )) |/| |/| |/| |/|
|/| |/| |/| |/| ( ) |/| |/| |/| |/|
(( )) (( )) (( )) (( )) ( ) (( )) (( )) (( )) (( ))
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) o.o ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) __/_\__ ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) \/ \/ ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) /_____\ ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) \./ ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) o o ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ((|)) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
( ) ( ) ( ) ( )(|)( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
( ) ( ) ( ) ((|)) ( ) ( ) ( )
( ) ( ) ( )(|)( ) ( ) ( )
( ) ( ) ((|)) ( ) ( )
( ) ((|)) ( )
((|))
((|))
((|))
ooooooo
ooooooooooooo
Happy ooooooooooooooooo Chanuka!
ooooooooooooooooooo

Paine Ellsworth

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

sounds like a "weener" --

Paine (no offense, but that's not the only thing that's
short) Ellsworth

Paul Harwood

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

On Thu, 05 Dec 1996 09:08:19 -0500, Paine Ellsworth
<ron.le...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Paul Harwood wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 05 Dec 1996 01:42:51 -0500, Paine Ellsworth
>> <ron.le...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>> >
>> >'Lo Paul -- just like you to be so . . . forgiving --
>>
>> Nah. The whole thing is just getting boring. It was fun while he was
>> blustering, but the spark left when he started whining. I plan to
>> simply parade about -- as naked as an academic peacock -- and enjoy
>> myself. If we're lucky, he'll do the same.
>>
>> Paul "Short attention span" Harwood
>
>sounds like a "weener" --
>
>Paine (no offense, but that's not the only thing that's
> short) Ellsworth

Well ... maybe Wendy'll knit him a cozy.

Paul "Still waiting for mine, Wendy" Harwood

Wendy Chatley Green

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

Pa...@computerbits.com (Paul Harwood) wrote after Paine Ellsworth
said:

:>
:>sounds like a "weener" --

:>
:>Paine (no offense, but that's not the only thing that's
:> short) Ellsworth
:
:Well ... maybe Wendy'll knit him a cozy.
:
:Paul "Still waiting for mine, Wendy" Harwood

Still waiting for you to post your required size and color, Paul.

Of course, a fee to cover the yarn purchase would also be nice. I
tend to knit free-of-charge only for births (although if anyone can
think of a suitable knitted item for a kidney stone, I'll consider
changing my policies.)

-
Wendy Chatley Green -- wcg...@cris.com

Jack Mingo

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

Paul Harwood wrote:

> >sounds like a "weener" --
> >
> >Paine (no offense, but that's not the only thing that's
> > short) Ellsworth
> >

> Well ... maybe Wendy'll knit him a cozy.
>
> Paul "Still waiting for mine, Wendy" Harwood

Is it true that all threads dominated by men will always eventually
de-evolve into a dick-size thing?

Jack (As it's already been proven that women-dominated threads always
turn to chocolate?) Mingo

Paul Harwood

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

On Thu, 05 Dec 1996 17:41:55 GMT, wcg...@cris.com (Wendy Chatley
Green) wrote:

>Still waiting for you to post your required size and color, Paul.
>
>Of course, a fee to cover the yarn purchase would also be nice. I
>tend to knit free-of-charge only for births (although if anyone can
>think of a suitable knitted item for a kidney stone, I'll consider
>changing my policies.)

Oh. Okay. The size is <whisper><whisper> yeah, I know. Sad, huh? Color
should be ... well ... consistent with the current fashion for such
things. And your check is in the mail.

Paul "I'm nothing if not trendy" Harwood

Jael McHenry

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

Jaybee (jbou...@sympatico.ca) wrote:
: I hate to break the news to you, Paine, but misc. writing is not
: a cute girl. Not even really.

No? Your opinion, your loss. Come by MWV sometime. All of us there are
cute girls, especially at Club Nu.

Excuse me for a moment, I think Nick's about due for another greasing.

Jael

P.S. Please don't try to make sense of this post. It's not worth it.

She was greedy & callous & a bitch, but she was fire, & a man needed fire.

-- Dorothy B. Hughes, In A Lonely Place

Jael McHenry

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

Jack Mingo (mi...@pacbell.net) wrote:

: Is it true that all threads dominated by men will always eventually

: de-evolve into a dick-size thing?

Moot point. All threads on misc.writing are dominated by women.

Jael, assuming the position

The Last Real Marlboro Man

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

Jack Mingo <mi...@pacbell.net> wrote:

>Is it true that all threads dominated by men will always eventually
>de-evolve into a dick-size thing?

Yes, that is true. It is the same mentality that causes us to wage
war.

As someone pointed out, when the US wages war, it always seems to be
against brown people. That's because their dicks are bigger than
ours, and we can't stand it.

(Picture a bunch of chubby white generals in a dark, smoke-filled
room, hunched around the situation table. They have just been
appraised of some obscure little nation populated by brown people.)

"What? Their dicks are bigger than ours?! Why, this means war!"

Thats why there ain't no woman generals.

- Wayne (The Exception To The Rule)
In my opinion, most of the great men of the past were
only there for the beer. - A.J.P. Taylor, British Historian

Jaybee

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

Paine Ellsworth wrote:

> hope for Jaybee? hmm -- allow me to reserve judgment on
> this for awhile -- let's see if Jaybee sticks it out --

Oh will you REALLY? I do fervently hope so. Every night, as I lay in my
hovel on the straw that serves me as bed, I pray to the good lord for
just one tiny chance for me to be accepted by the good-hearted folks of
misc.writing, so that I may at last rise above the dismal mysery of
filthy lower class that is my station in life.

More, sir!

Oliver

David

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

Jaybee wrote:

> David wrote:
> >
> > oops. arrogance. now you're filtered.
> > soon, jaybee won't be getting any mail.
>
> Actually, filtering certain posts in misc.writing would be akin to
> walking right past the monkey house at the zoo. I mean, their mimicks
> and grimaces make them seem so HUMAN!

But then you'd miss the antics.
And a troll always has to stop and look.
Can I cross the bridge now?
David -- http://www.nodeadtrees.com/
Dead trees are linear. The Interactive Novel is not.
No Dead Trees, where chaos is more than just a theory.

Paine Ellsworth

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

in accord with this kind of logic, women should be
constantly warring with men -- come to think of it,
maybe they *have* been all along, and they're so good at
winning, that men haven't noticed how much they've
lost? --

well, in the war of the biggest dick, i definitely lose --

mine is only this long: |

o o o o
o o
o o
o o
o o
<grin> o o
but it's this big around: o o
o o
o o
o o
o o
o o o o

Paine (says, as he licks his ear) Ellsworth

Paine Ellsworth

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

'Lo Jaybee -- jus' tryin' to continue to fit into that
li'l box-image you have in your brain that you've
pigeonholed "denizens of misc.writing" -- guess we all
have a lot to learn about the importance of first
impressions -- seems we can do a hundred things right,
and then one wrong thing wipes the slate clean, then ya
hafta do a hundred more right things as make-up --

and this is greatly intensified as per first impressions --

let's face it -- the first impression you made in this ung
was, shall we say, arrogant, and at first left people with
the idea that you go from town to town selling snake oil
and raping babies -- OTOH the first impression we made on
you was just as arrogant and caustic from your point of
view --

at this point all appears to be forgiven, and it seems that
you plan to continue to grace us with your welcome presence --
and hence my desire to reserve judgment, *not* out of
sustained arrogance, but out of a sense of simple "wait and
see" anticipation --

Martin Luther King was once accosted by a journalist who kept
hounding him about his acceptance of a dinner invitation from
the first black man to attain the rank of General in the US
Army -- seems the reporter just couldn't understand how such
a "dove" as the Reverend King could be friends with such a
"hawk" like the newly promoted General -- finally, King
turned and faced the reporter with a grin and quipped, "Son,
I judge people by their standards, not mine."

i'm as honkie as can be, yet when i heard this story, told
by King's widow, i got goose pimples, and the last sentence
goes down in my annals as one of the great quotes of history:

"I judge people by their standards, not mine." --

oh sure, one could say that he was a holy man, therefore he
should know better than to judge at all -- but he was also
expert in human instinct, and he knew that as a human, like
all humans, such judgments come natural -- so rather than
fight this inherent human need to judge others, he just
placed a rather interesting slant on it --

'course, a case could also be made for his desire to shut
the trap of the reporter as well -- it worked! --

in any case, i too am human and frightfully prone to many
human weaknesses, including for better or worse, judging --

so as thy standards unfold and increase, so shall my humble
gavel grace the bench, hopefully (but not necessarily)
within the bounds of thy approval and joy --

Paine (if you ask me what time it is, you might prepare
yourself for a treatise on the inner workings of
a grandfather clock) Ellsworth

katym...@aol.com

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

Careful, Jaybee- this may all be a mass plot to keep you from writing. We
figure we can keep you so busy demonstrating your cleverness here that
you'll never have the time to get anything else written.

>>Oh will you REALLY? I do fervently hope so. Every night, as I lay in my
hovel on the straw that serves me as bed, I pray to the good lord for<<<

Katy Munger
Your guests will never know....

Man Friday

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

In article <587ks6$e...@bolivia.earthlink.net>, The Last Real Marlboro
Man <wl...@earthlink.net> writes

>Thats why there ain't no woman generals.
>
>- Wayne (The Exception To The Rule)
Should that be General Waynetta?
----------------------------
Paul Friday
http://www.devce.demon.co.uk/pun.htm

Jennifer Caddy

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

Jaybee wrote

> Actually, filtering certain posts in misc.writing would be akin to
> walking right past the monkey house at the zoo. I mean, their mimicks
> and grimaces make them seem so HUMAN!

The more I watch wildlife programs on TV the more I think the other
way round.

Little ones mess about until some female finally gets
fed up and gives them a clout. They squeal but stop offending.
Young males start getting uppity and try to muscle in until the large
alpha male notices and gives a roar whereupon the young males run
away. If they don't and instead dare to make a stand they are soon
butted or bitten into submission and retire battered and bleeding.

Reminds me of a local market on a Saturday afternoon.

--

Jennifer Caddy
jmc...@mail.zynet.co.uk

katym...@aol.com

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

You know, Nick's been laying low ever since we threatened to grease him.
Come on, Nick-- come out and take your greasing like a man.

Jael<<<

Katy Munger

Douglas Wyman

Dec 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/7/96