Plot Holes in "Dude, Where's My Car?"

BrickRage

Dec 13, 2000, 2:34:22 AM12/13/00

Any one care to know why I stopped reading the Done Deal site? I'll tell you
anyway.

A while ago I came across a sale that made my forehead sore from beating it
with the palm of my hand. Once I got past the title, *that* took me a minute of
staring, the tag line virtually grabbed me by the short-hairs in my ass, tore
them out, then went straight for my throat.

"Two teenage guys get drunk and go out to the parking lot and they can't find
their car."

I blocked the principals involved out of my mind. But the price is burned in my
brain. Yep. Mid-six figures.

Must stop watch TV....no more election...no more "Dude" trailers...read book
instead.

Nesci

Get off of my lawn, you damned kids!

The FAQ for this newsgroup is http://www.communicator.com/faqs.html

Mkword

Dec 13, 2000, 4:45:32 AM12/13/00
John, I hate to have to tell you that "Dude, Where's My Car" was one of the
funniest spec scripts in the last few years.

It was written by one of the writers on "That 70s Show" and it aspires to
nothing more than trying to make you laugh out loud six or seven time. But
it does that and more. Philip Stark has actually written a true
post-modernist screenplay. Not quite on the level with "Being John
Malkovich" but hey, you can't have your Lichtenstein and eat it too, right?

"Dude" makes no attempt at character arc, character development or barely
for that matter characters at all. It's a slim comic premise, a simple
hook, that is played over and over in increasingly clever elaborations.

I haven't seen the movie. The script may or may not have translated well in
the process. But it was one of those scripts that was passed around from
executive to executive. And I have no problem with that because I thought
the script was funny as hell.

Like I said, I haven't seen the flick, but I think it's a shame if they cut
out the pot smoking references. These were among the funniest and they
really empowered the central premise and title. They called pot "shibby."
E.g. "Dude, that was the shibbiest shibby that I've ever shibbied."

-Nikwax

BrickRage <bric...@aol.com> wrote in message

BrickRage

Dec 13, 2000, 5:19:43 AM12/13/00

>From: "Mkword" nfal...@earthlink.net

>John, I hate to have to tell you that "Dude, Where's My Car" was one of the
>funniest spec scripts in the last few years.

*You* hate to tell *me*?

>Philip Stark has actually written a true
>post-modernist screenplay.

Post-modern was 20 years ago, Nick. You wanna talk about co-opting artistic
sensibilities here? Minimalism has evolved into "Duh". Devolving into inane
nonsense.

>I think it's a shame if they cut
>out the pot smoking references. These were among the funniest and they
>really empowered the central premise and title. They called pot "shibby."
>E.g. "Dude, that was the shibbiest shibby that I've ever shibbied."

And this shibby somehow empowered a premise? Sorry guy. Herb I understand,
post-ironic forefront of the backlash of modernism I don't.

I'd most likely laugh like a fool too, but there's something to be said for a
fancy thought now and again.

clfr...@my-deja.com

Dec 13, 2000, 1:14:21 PM12/13/00
In article <0zHZ5.17797$U4.17...@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
"Mkword" <nfal...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> "Dude" makes no attempt at character arc, character development or
> barely
> for that matter characters at all. It's a slim comic premise, a
> simple
> hook, that is played over and over in increasingly clever
> elaborations.

I can't help thinking of "Dumb and Dumber" when I see the
promos.

--
Craig Franck
Dover, NH

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

douglas...@hotmailnospammy.com

Dec 13, 2000, 7:49:18 PM12/13/00
On 13 Dec 2000 07:34:22 GMT, bric...@aol.com (BrickRage) wrote:

>"Two teenage guys get drunk and go out to the parking lot and they can't find
>their car."
>
>I blocked the principals involved out of my mind. But the price is burned in my
>brain. Yep. Mid-six figures.

Tsk. And you call yourself retired... Hell, I call you inspired!

Long live the intelligencia...

Doug

Hmmm? Now, where do those intelligencia live???

Just a virtual guy... in a virtual world.

Russ Marcil

Dec 14, 2000, 3:20:09 AM12/14/00
Mkword wrote in message
<0zHZ5.17797$U4.17...@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...

<snippity, snippity, snip, like Skip.... Oh, my god, I'm talking in
rhymes!!! >

>Nick F.: Not quite on the level with "Being John
>Nick F: Malkovich" but hey, you can't have your Lichtenstein and eat it
too, right?

Nick F.,

O.k., I'm siding with the Raging Brick facade on this one. And I'm siding
with Ed Harris too (ref to "Pollock"... er, not the fish....).

You can have your pop art, and u can have smart comedy too. U don't have to
dumb down everything and pander to the teen audience. Unless u want to make
the next "Titanic"..

-Russ
Opinions 'R Us

P.S.: Nick, stop being a whore, and stand up for yourself like your friend
Charlie K (Flame on... Bring It On...)

Mkword

Dec 15, 2000, 3:40:41 AM12/15/00
I'm not sure what you guys are attacking. Have you seen the film? I
haven't. I just read Philip Stark's script. And, hey, I'm sorry, but it's
an inventive and fun bit of writing. It's light years ahead of dumb and
dumber. Again, that's strictly based on the script. I have no idea how the
film turned out.

If I'm a whore, I am a whore on a professional basis. When I'm reading
scripts or watching movies, that's my own time, and I've never pulled any
punches. I like what I like and what I don't like ... I really don't like.

If anyone out there is trying to write comedy features, I would strongly
recommend they read "Dude." And of course, anything by Charlie. And one
other script ... "Used Guys" by Mickey Birnbaum. It's in development at
Columbia and it's simply wonderful.

Russ Marcil <rmar...@san.rr.com> wrote in message