Automatic or automated transmission trucking companies

Greg McClain

Nov 18, 2002, 8:29:41 PM11/18/02
Can anyone tell me of companies that have converted over to the automatic or
automated transmission based trucks. Do the offer cdl training.

tscottme

Nov 19, 2002, 6:21:58 AM11/19/02

Greg McClain <in...@usanetservices.com> wrote in message

> Can anyone tell me of companies that have converted over to the
automatic or
> automated transmission based trucks. Do the offer cdl training.

The only trucking company I know of with a significant number of
automatics is such a bad company I wouldn't recommend them if they were
handing out teenage brides as a sign-on bonus.

No matter how clumsy you think you are, you can learn to shift a big
truck in an afternoon well enough to start making a living in one.
Trying to pick a company based on the transmission is as sensible as
picking a company based on the brand of AM-FM radio in the truck, unless
you are disabled.

Every truck I've driven in about 10 years has a transmission similar to
a Honda Civic or any other commonly used car tranny. It's just that
after you go through the "H" pattern you flip an air switch and start
the pattern again. On some trucks you go through the "H" pattern by
flipping the air switch more often and the ends of the "H" less often.
It's actually easier to learn to shift a truck than it is to learn to
shift a car. In a car you need to more precisely match the clutch and
the accelerator or you will stall the engine. On a truck, you release
the clutch with your foot off the accelerator and then apply the fuel.
Thinking about it, it might be best to learn to shift a truck if you
haven't learned to shift a car. You work the clutch in very different
manners. IN a car, the clutch is either all the way up or all the way
down, anything in between is probably wrong. In a truck, you only press
the clutch pedal more than half way down if you are stopped or if you
are shifting from reverse to forward, or vice versa.

Shifting really is a non-issue. Almost nobody does it perfectly right
away, but you will get so much practice, during CDL training or after,
that you will develop the skill much faster than you fear. A typical
driver probably shifts a couple of hundred times each day. In fact,
many drivers find that it doesn't take them long before they can even
shift without using the clutch. It's one of those things that sounds
like it will be much more difficult until you try it. Don't worry.

Troublemaker

Nov 19, 2002, 8:34:56 PM11/19/02

> In fact,
> many drivers find that it doesn't take them long before they can even
> shift without using the clutch.

A what? Is that the pedal on the far left? Mine's all dusty....lol

Anonymous

Nov 19, 2002, 9:17:44 PM11/19/02

"Greg McClain" <in...@usanetservices.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me of companies that have converted over to the automatic
or
> automated transmission based trucks. Do the offer cdl training.

As I just had a two week experience with an automatic, they're nice on the
road.
But when it comes to needing to do such things as docking, that damn thing
takes it's own sweet time getting into gear.
You may sit still for two minutes while it decides to shift.
You have no control over it when to shift it while moving.
When comparing a standard 10 speed, a super 10, or an automatic, I'd take
the super 10 any day.
At the most, with a super 10, you only move the stick 4 times and have total
control over shifting.
The only trick with a super-10 is getting used to shifting two gears at a
time.
You try it the old way and you grind gears.

Having been around awhile, I've taught myself tricks in shifting.
Gear selection is based upon speed. I can get going in 2nd and wind it up to
15mph or so and jump to 5th gear.
A few times I've shifted from 3rd to 6th to 9th.
When downshifting, I don't kick up the fuel when coming to a stop.
There is a certain point in the timing that will allow you to downshift into
just one gear without kicking the fuel.
There's no need to shift down through all gears. Just pick out a conveniet
speed, and shift to that gear.
I'll let my speed drop 20 25mph and shift into 7th.
Then as I come to almost a stop, let the truck tell me which gear I should
slip into.
It takes a bit of experience to get it right, but after awhile you'll get to
know how to do it and like it.

MikeyT

Nov 20, 2002, 6:25:06 AM11/20/02
On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 05:21:58 -0600, "tscottme" <blah...@blah.net>
wrote these profound words:

>The only trucking company I know of with a significant number of
>automatics is such a bad company I wouldn't recommend them if they were
>handing out teenage brides as a sign-on bonus.

lol That would be an outstanding sign on bonus though!

US Express has all automatics and hires students, but that is the
total extent of what I know about them. I personally feel it is not a
good idea, simply because you learn transmission in school, so why
loose that training by never shifting? After a years experience you
may want to dump that company and go to a better one. What you gonna
do when you fail their road test by grinding the piss out of the
gears?

MikeyT

No matter where you go, there you are...

tscottme

Nov 20, 2002, 6:41:45 AM11/20/02

MikeyT <use...@sleeps.comREMOVE_TO_EMAIL_ME> wrote in message

> On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 05:21:58 -0600, "tscottme" <blah...@blah.net>
> wrote these profound words:
>
> >The only trucking company I know of with a significant number of
> >automatics is such a bad company I wouldn't recommend them if they
were
> >handing out teenage brides as a sign-on bonus.
>

> lol That would be an outstanding sign on bonus though!
>
> US Express has all automatics and hires students, but that is the
> total extent of what I know about them.

Yeah that's the company that may have to start handing out teen age
brides to keep their trucks full.

I agree with you, starting with an auto truck would make it more
difficult to pass the road test at the second company. "You have a
year's experience and you can't down shift? Next!"

egpowers

Nov 20, 2002, 8:24:48 AM11/20/02
Well hell, I'll play along. WSE, and HOT are both running auto
shifts, maybe not all trucks but several. I believe either US Express
or CFI is also getting some in.
As to driveability. I've been driving one for 305,000 miles (2.5
years) in my '00 Mack. Around town it's great, very little use of the
clutch, espcially in heavy traffic. Put it in gear an dlet it run.
On the open road its just like driving a manual. In the mountains is
another story. I cuss, swear and threaten my transmission. Though,
it is nice to have a hold mode (something all autoshifts have) in
which you can keep it in one gear as long as you need it, or when also
in hold mode you can shift it manually. You become adept at handleing
it. The biggest drawback is maintainance. In 2.5 years, the shift
motors on mine have had to be replaced 4 times, and reprogrammed
twice. Though after this last reprogramme, it made a world of
difference in the way it operates. But, once you've been driving it
awhile, you learn the transmissions little quirks. I can tell usually
three weeks before my shift motors go out, just by the way the
transmission is downshifting. AS to backing, and docks and such, it's
no different than a manual.
As to annonymous comments, if it's taking to long to obtain a gear
position, then the clutch needs adjusting, or the shift motors are
going out.

Lynne

Nov 24, 2002, 9:44:48 PM11/24/02
The distributor that moves the Budweiser products in my area has
automatic transmissions in their tractors, but I don't know if any other
Bud distributors do. They don't train.

I'm not a trucker but if you want to learn to drive you really need to
learn to shift or you will not have very many jobs to choose from.

Steve Carras

Nov 25, 2002, 10:34:03 PM11/25/02
"tscottme" <blah...@blah.net> wrote in message news:<Y-KdnbCAwoJ...@comcast.com>...

Don't forget the two-stick trannies, though these are bein' far
replaced with the one stick ones.

Steve
(who knows what he's talkin' 'bout)

Steve Carras

Nov 25, 2002, 10:36:03 PM11/25/02
Mrs_...@webtv.net (Lynne) wrote in message news:<17177-3DE...@storefull-2115.public.lawson.webtv.net>...

Right, since many trucking companies still (wisely IMHO) really go in
for manuals, esp.on 18-wheelers and bigger.

egpowers

Nov 26, 2002, 5:17:58 PM11/26/02
gca...@aol.com (Steve Carras) wrote in message news:<8c311548.02112...@posting.google.com>...

Sorry all, but within 5 years, manual transmissions will be the
option and automatics will be the norm. More and more companies are
looking into automatic transmissions.

Steve Carras

Nov 26, 2002, 11:43:07 PM11/26/02
egpo...@msn.com (egpowers) wrote in message news:<5fa1390b.02112...@posting.google.com>...

So I've heard. Well, it can't hurt, what with all the CB radioing the
guys and gals do, but anyway, the question now's the Fuller Radoranger
autoshift OR the ALlison automatic. They go up to 8 speeds according
to <a href="http://www.allsiontransmission.com">Their website</a>.

What with 4 speeds being signficant fora LTO of heavier vehiclezx (and
again I have no problems with automatics if it is easier and practical
for big rigs), that may be the norm.Pretty soon, instead of the gadget
adored stick or dual stick we will see a stick on the dash with R N D
3 2 1 or pushbuttons,. (I presume though, the autoshift will be used
as a compromise.)

MIKE

Nov 27, 2002, 2:49:53 AM11/27/02
>From: egpo...@msn.com (egpowers)
>Date: 11/26/2002 4:17 PM Central Standard Time

States:>

Sorry all, but within 5 years, manual transmissions will be the
>option and automatics will be the norm. More and more companies are
>looking into automatic transmissions.

Right you are.
They can't find enough intelligent people to learn how to shift now,
they gotta make it easier to fill those seats.
Mike

Steve Carras

Nov 28, 2002, 12:33:48 AM11/28/02
>Subject: Re: Automatic or automated transmission trucking companies
>From: gca...@aol.com (Steve Carras)
>Date: 11/26/02 8:43 PM Pacific Standard Time

>egpo...@msn.com (egpowers) wrote in message
>> gca...@aol.com (Steve Carras) wrote in message
>> > Mrs_...@webtv.net (Lynne) wrote in message
>other

>> > Right, since many trucking companies still (wisely IMHO) really go in
>> > for manuals, esp.on 18-wheelers and bigger.
>>
>> Sorry all, but within 5 years, manual transmissions will be the
>> option and automatics will be the norm. More and more companies are
>> looking into automatic transmissions.
>
>So I've heard. Well, it can't hurt, what with all the CB radioing the
>guys and gals do, but anyway, the question now's the Fuller Radoranger
>autoshift OR the ALlison automatic. They go up to 8 speeds according
>to Their website.

Or autoselect..for 9 and higher for fully automatic how's about lookin' into
the venerated Eaton/Fuller/Roadranger's CEEMAT-their ONLY totally automatic
truck transmission line. www.roadranger.com. OPERATE:TRANSMISSION :CEEMAT.

"Come Sail Away, Sail Away, Sail Away"-<a href="http://www.enya.com">Enya</a>,
from ORINOCO FLOW
"Not everybody's as narrow minded as you"-Gidget
"Toodles."-Gidget.
"Oh don't mind ME"(sarcastically)-Larue (from GIDGET)

egpowers

Nov 28, 2002, 11:49:23 AM11/28/02

> > Sorry all, but within 5 years, manual transmissions will be the
> > option and automatics will be the norm. More and more companies are
> > looking into automatic transmissions.
>
> So I've heard. Well, it can't hurt, what with all the CB radioing the
> guys and gals do, but anyway, the question now's the Fuller Radoranger
> autoshift OR the ALlison automatic. They go up to 8 speeds according
> to <a href="http://www.allsiontransmission.com">Their website</a>.
>
> What with 4 speeds being signficant fora LTO of heavier vehiclezx (and
> again I have no problems with automatics if it is easier and practical
> for big rigs), that may be the norm.Pretty soon, instead of the gadget
> adored stick or dual stick we will see a stick on the dash with R N D
> 3 2 1 or pushbuttons,. (I presume though, the autoshift will be used
> as a compromise.)

The current Eaton/Fuller Autoshift can be converted to a manual 10
spd for about $500.00. Requires a manual shift column, reprogramming
the computers and a few other changes to the truck. I believe that
the new Allison automatic that is availble on either Kenworth or
Peterbuilt is similar to the automatic setup on a car, a lever on the
steering column.

egpowers

Nov 28, 2002, 11:59:21 AM11/28/02
rabel...@aol.common (MIKE) wrote in message news:<20021127024953...@mb-cv.aol.com>...

Now play nice Mike, that is a extremly small part of it. The
reality is convienence, around town that autoshift is nice, it's
easier on the knee, not working the clutch every 5 seconds. One of
the guys at work had surgery on his left knee in July, he was supposed
to be off 5 months, but the Dr. and the physical therapist came and
looked at the truck, and saw that we use the clutch very little, so he
was allowed back to work after only 3 months off. Also, there is a
maintainance factor, your companies aren't replacing clutch brakes
every few months, clutchs last longer. My truck has 308,000 miles and
has not had the trans apart. The other 9 autoshift trucks in our
fleet are the same way, the range from 40K miles to 175K miles and
only two have had serious transmission problems. One has gone through
2 clutch brakes, another has lost the clutch cable twice. The most
serious and common problem is the shift motors, and that is almost
exclusively a manufacturers defect. They wear out and need to be
replaced. In the case of my truck, I'm now on my 4th set of shift
motors, but they are a warrenty item for 5 years. Every three months
the Eaton rep. stops by and makes changes to the computer programming
if needed, or downloads to the computers new software, and pulls
trouble codes or talks to the drivers to see what we are expierencing
to see if other changes need made. I suspect that we will see a
radical shift towards the use of auto trans. in a few years. Also, I
have noticed that Yellow and Roadway may be starting to get in some
auto shifts as well for around town use.

tscottme

Dec 1, 2002, 7:55:18 AM12/1/02

egpowers <egpo...@msn.com> wrote in message

> rabel...@aol.common (MIKE) wrote in message
> > >From: egpo...@msn.com (egpowers)
> > >Date: 11/26/2002 4:17 PM Central Standard Time
> >
> > States:>
> >
> > Sorry all, but within 5 years, manual transmissions will be the
> > >option and automatics will be the norm. More and more companies
are
> > >looking into automatic transmissions.
> >
> > Right you are.
> > They can't find enough intelligent people to learn how to shift now,
> > they gotta make it easier to fill those seats.
> > Mike
>
> Now play nice Mike, that is a extremly small part of it. The
> reality is convienence, around town that autoshift is nice, it's
> easier on the knee, not working the clutch every 5 seconds. One of
> the guys at work had surgery on his left knee in July, he was supposed
> to be off 5 months, but the Dr. and the physical therapist came and
> looked at the truck, and saw that we use the clutch very little, so he
> was allowed back to work after only 3 months off. Also, there is a
> maintainance factor, your companies aren't replacing clutch brakes
> every few months, clutchs last longer.

Why not just stop using the clutch, talk about being easy on the left
leg and prolonging the life of the clutch brake.

Steve Carras

Dec 6, 2002, 12:43:58 AM12/6/02
BTW, I would like to show how I have thought of describing the various s one
stick/gizmo (Roadranger, Meritor,etc.) patterns.

[two stick transmissions excluded from the below]

[NOTE: allusions to splitters, except as noted otherwise, refer to splitting
throughout ALL gear selections, like in both ranges of an 18 speed,or 20
speed,for instance. However to avoid obvious confusion, splitter functions are
described as such whether (as ID'd) under, direct or overdrive-after the
"split" ID to avoid confusion with ID'ing as under or overdrive RANGE-as
opposed to split--see below listings.Super tens are all direct splits,that si,
neither specifically, to my memory, over nor under.keep on trucking]

8-speed: either 4 speed with splitter or 4 speed low range and likewise 4
speed high range.

9-speed:BULL-LOW plus 4-speed low range and 4-speed high range. In short, an
underdrive 4-speed low range and four speed high range. (Underdrive being a
term used by all of us, and of course,meaning, of course, that there's a
seperate bull-low gear, with overdrive bein g without need of explanation)
.Also, in the Eaton/Fuller Roadranger RTOO 9809 a 4-speed (that is, direct with
no underdive here low range)
and borderline overdrive 5 speed highrange. Note I saw "borderline overdrive"
since, according to www.roadranger.com/Operate our Products, in RTOO 9 speed
module, the online brocuhre/manual (pardon the tranny pun) gives HIGH gear NOT
as "O" as in over, but a plain direct 9.:) Additionally, some competitors may
offer a 3-speed in a) low range, b)inter. range, and in c) high range. (see my
note on thirteens)
or 3-speed low range and split 3 speed high, but that is not likely, nor is my
other guess, a three speed with double split (3-speed rear type deal.)

10-speed. 5 speed with either splitter rear end or interoir (as in a interoir
splitter model and the current example Super10 and Lightning, both offered by
Roadranger) or with 5 in both low and high range, ergo, ten speeds.See 123 and
14 speed entries here in this post. Also of course there's the RR Super10
variant, the Super10Top2 model (RT/RTX-97?10T2)(same pattern as a 5,10,etc.) 4
split speeds, with the last 9-10 speed shift performed automaticcaly in a
separete hole. (see 18-speeds)

11: 6 speed or underdrive 5 speed low range and 5 speed (possible overdrive)
high range.There is a Eaton-Fuller-RRanger RTXLO-9808MLL ( is this the right
model ID guys?) major off raod transmission with:
3 Low Low except for the normal first"lo" underdrive etremely deepreduiction
range, with only a fourth hole (keep reading) inaccessible.
4 speed regular low range
4 speed high range

12 speed: Seems to be more variety than we've approached so far in my posting,
what with:

a) 3 speed split low and high ranges, offered years ago by Spicer (source: a
1974 disel truck handbook I recently saw at a library!)

b) 6 speed low and 6 speed high or c) 6 speed with rear end or inside
splitter (comparable to the modern Super10s.(No 12 speed equivlanet to these
yet to my knowledge)

d) 4 speed low, medium, and high ranges (like the 4x 3)

e) 4 speed with double splitter (well, in Eurpope anyhoo)

13-speed.How now brown cow. The fun part.
a.The orginal, three range ones, probaly had something like this..
I. 5 speed or underdrive 4 speed first range, med.4, and high 4 speed.

II. 4 speed low and med, and 5 speed or overdrive 4 high.

III. The current one Eaton's offerin', a direct,overdrive on request, (shift
pattern differs according to configuration here)
3-speed low plateau
5-speed medium and high plateu of back chamber.

b.The USUAL 13-speeds will hav esomething like this typical:
I.a underdrive 4 speed (again, underdive 4 speed as shorthand for underdrive
PLUS 4 speed) low range and then a OVERDRIVE-split 4 speed high, thus amounting
to thirteen gears - if you count the four overdrives and the underdrive.

II.an underdrive 4 speed low range with a split direct 4 speed high range.

III.an underdrive 4 speed low range with a split underdrive 4 speed high.

IV.a 5-speed low range and a high range providing for 4 speed with overdrive
splits.

V.A 5-speed low range and a high range with direct drive splits and 4 speed.

VI.a 5 speed low range and a 4 speed underrdrive split high range.

Quite possibly some other combinations of these were built in the past, and
competitos might make 13-speeds with 6 underdrive or 7 speed low with 6 speed,
possible overdrvie high range.

Which brings us to:

14-speeds: Same 7 speed, with low and high range or with just splits. Spicer
once offered in the aforementioned book a 14-seed much like an 18-speed: 4
speed split low range and 3 speed split high range.

15-speeds. Underdrive, low, and High ranges all with five speed each in most
cases. Some underdrive five with normal driving range with direct split
facility five sspeed options over overdrive excist. All of them built by Eaton.

16-speeds: 4 speed split direct, over or under in both low and high. With Low,
17 speed.

18 speeds are 6 speed in three ranges each again, like fifteen only direct, and
5 speed, in some cases first underdrive, low range with over-splits, and
40speed overdrive split high range.Additionallow might make a 19.

20 speed, this is a split five speed low/high range deal, 21 sp[eed same as
fifteen and eighteen but with seven holes.These are just examples some of
course not all configuartions may exist..but my point was to help describe the
shifting procedure. The thirteen speed with the underdrive, four speed, hi and
low rnage and overdrive split is the most common and the most confusing
apparently when it comes to describing it, so let us just say it is a
underdrive-low range four speed manual with a high range offering four speeds
with a splitter.

egpowers

Dec 7, 2002, 11:03:21 AM12/7/02
"tscottme" <blah...@blah.net> wrote in message news:<EI6dnTFZIo8...@comcast.com>...

I would like to see you operate a truck in heavy rush hour traffic
for 12 hours a day and not touch the clutch at all!!!!! I use the
clutch at traffic lights and stop signs only, never touch it unless
coming to a dead stop. Even floating the gears on a manual isn't that
easy. BTW, do you know why it's easy to float the gears on a
transmission, because the clutch brake is already worn.