Smaller incorporated town,cite, village, etc?

George Grapman

Dec 5, 2005, 3:11:51 PM12/5/05
Smallest I know of is East Newark,NJ. 1/10 of a square mile.
--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell

k_f...@lycos.com

Dec 5, 2005, 5:02:25 PM12/5/05
George Grapman wrote:
> Smallest I know of is East Newark,NJ. 1/10 of a square mile.

Mountain VIew CO, a Denver suburb, beats it just slightly. It is
0.09375 sq. mi., consisting of 3/32nds of a square mile.

Its home page: http://home.att.net/~mvpd/home_page.html

Mike Tantillo

Dec 5, 2005, 5:23:07 PM12/5/05

George Grapman wrote:
> Smallest I know of is East Newark,NJ. 1/10 of a square mile.

I don't know how big it is area wise, but the Incorporated Village of
Dering Harbor, NY has a population of 32, or thereabouts.

David Jensen

Dec 5, 2005, 5:51:29 PM12/5/05
On 5 Dec 2005 14:02:25 -0800, in misc.transport.road
"k_f...@lycos.com" <k_f...@lycos.com> wrote in
<1133817298.7...@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>:

60 acres? 12 city blocks? I would have guessed that Louisville's East
End inburbs were small, but I don't think any of them are close to that
small.

Chris Wilson

Dec 5, 2005, 6:17:07 PM12/5/05

Ha! Got that beat! Teterboro, N.J. has a population of 18.

Banjomax

Dec 5, 2005, 6:19:23 PM12/5/05
George Grapman wrote:
> Smallest I know of is East Newark,NJ. 1/10 of a square mile.

According to the National League of Cities, the smallest municipality in
the U.S. is the village of Lithium, MO: 0.001924 square miles (~1.2
acres), population 0. The smallest populated municipality is the city
of Huetter, ID: 0.010614 square miles (~6.8 acres), population 98. In
my home state of Vermont, the smallest municipality by land area is the
city of Vergennes, which measures 640 acres, or one mile square,
population 2741.

http://www.nlc.org/about_cities/cities_101/181.cfm

--
banjo

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it
and remove all doubt.
-- Samuel Langhorne Clemens

Michael Angelo Ravera

Dec 5, 2005, 7:04:37 PM12/5/05
There are number of settlements with population of 10 or so along US-50
in El Dorado county, California. I don't know if any of them are
incorporated. If they are, their limits would have to be fairly small.

brink

Dec 5, 2005, 7:47:36 PM12/5/05

"David Jensen" <da...@dajensen-family.com> wrote in message

Mountain View, CO... I've gotta see this place for myself next time I'm in
Denver. That's the coolest thing I've seen all day.

brink

Michael G. Koerner

Dec 5, 2005, 9:41:47 PM12/5/05

Some of the suburbs of Saint Louis and Kansas City, MO are literally one or
two block subdivisions.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________

Paul DeRocco

Dec 5, 2005, 10:27:29 PM12/5/05
> "Banjomax" <banj...@verizon.net> wrote

> According to the National League of Cities, the smallest municipality in
> the U.S. is the village of Lithium, MO: 0.001924 square miles (~1.2
> acres), population 0.

Who won the last mayoral election?

--

Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
Paul mailto:pder...@ix.netcom.com

Sir Ray

Dec 5, 2005, 10:37:40 PM12/5/05
Well, population-wise you are right (I think all 18 people live on 6
houses on the west side of Huyler Ave north of rt 45 - However, it
includes a large area of industrial/warehouse facilities (although the
Ford Center closed last year), and I believe it also covers a
significant portion of Teterboro Airport, so size-wise it isn't too bad
off.

Bill

Dec 5, 2005, 10:46:59 PM12/5/05

"George Grapman" <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote in message

> Smallest I know of is East Newark,NJ. 1/10 of a square mile.
> --

Mobile City, Texas is 8.8 acres.

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/MM/hlmac_print.html

- B

Michael Moroney

Dec 5, 2005, 11:05:22 PM12/5/05
"Mike Tantillo" <mjtan...@yahoo.com> writes:

>George Grapman wrote:
>> Smallest I know of is East Newark,NJ. 1/10 of a square mile.

>I don't know how big it is area wise, but the Incorporated Village of
>Dering Harbor, NY has a population of 32, or thereabouts.

The village of Galway NY has a sign up claiming it's the smallest
incorporated village in the state. With a population of 151, it's
wrong. Its size is about 1/2 mile by 1/2 mile.

Rick Powell

Dec 6, 2005, 12:13:05 AM12/6/05

Population-wise, I believe Panola is the smallest incorporated
community in IL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panola,_Illinois

Muddy, IL (a village of less than 100) has a very small post office.
The entire building measures about 70 square feet:

http://wbus.com/areainfo.html

RP

Nathan Perry

Dec 6, 2005, 12:26:21 AM12/6/05
In article <1133821387.8...@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"Mike Tantillo" <mjtan...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> George Grapman wrote:
> > Smallest I know of is East Newark,NJ. 1/10 of a square mile.
>
> I don't know how big it is area wise, but the Incorporated Village of
> Dering Harbor, NY has a population of 32, or thereabouts.

Most recent census has it down from 29 to I think 13...

k_f...@lycos.com

Dec 6, 2005, 12:31:57 AM12/6/05

Don't blink. There are several very small suburban municipalities
bordering Denver; some incorporated so that Denver would not annex
them. I don't know Mountain View's particular story though.

brink

Dec 6, 2005, 2:31:58 AM12/6/05

<k_f...@lycos.com> wrote in message

I figure you nailed it--usually it's political protection from the "big
guys" (big city or county govts).

I'll stop in and ask!

brink

Nathan Perry

Dec 6, 2005, 1:17:45 PM12/6/05
In article <dn32m2$5t0$1...@pcls4.std.com>,
mor...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney) wrote:

May be the smallest in area; I daresay home lots in Dering Harbor are
substantially larger than those in Galway!

Justin Priola

Dec 6, 2005, 2:56:37 PM12/6/05

The smallest I know of in Louisiana (and anywhere else, for that
matter) is the village of Mound, located in Madison Parish on US 80
between Tallulah and Vicksburg, with a population of 12 (!) as of 2000
and an area of 1/5 of a square mile.

It also happens to have the highest per capita income of any community
in the state:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mound%2C_Louisiana
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_locations_by_per_capita_income

...this in a perpetually poor Delta parish. Interestingly, 50% of the
population lives below the poverty line.

I smell a speed trap.

MCT

Dec 6, 2005, 9:58:06 PM12/6/05
Here is a list of the smallest municipality in each state, by
population, obtained from information on the Census Bureau's web
site. This list only includes incorporated municipalities, and
presents information as of the 2000 Census (it is certainly possible
that some of this data is no longer current today due to population
changes, new incorporations, or disincorporations).

There is obviously a lot of variation among the states in how their
municipalities are set up. In some states, particularly in the south
and in the plains states, it was historically common for even the
tiniest settlements to incorporate, and in many of these states the
"smallest municipality" has no more than a handful of people (in
some cases it literally has none). By contrast, in some states,
particularly in the west, there are relatively few incorporated
municipalities, and the "smallest municipality" may have as many as
a few hundred people. The system of local government in place in New
England is not particularly conducive to developing municipalities with
very small populations anywhere other than very sparsely populated
areas; this is why the "smallest municipality" in Rhode Island
actually has more than a thousand people.

In most states, there are at least two types of municipal titles, one
typically used for larger municipalities, one for smaller (e.g.,
city/town, city/village, city/borough). In other states, however, the
title "city" is used for most or all municipalities regardless of
size. This is why many states' smallest municipality is a
"city". To someone who is not a resident of such a state, it may
seem odd for a community with a population of 10 to be a "city",
but in some states, most or all municipalities are called cities no
matter how small they are.

ALABAMA: Gantts Quarry town, Talladega County, pop. 0; aside from that,
Natural Bridge town, Winston County, pop. 28.

ALASKA: Kupreanof city, pop. 23.

ARIZONA: Jerome town, Yavapi County, pop. 329.

ARKANSAS: Gilbert town, Searcy County, pop. 33.

CALIFORNIA: Vernon city, Los Angeles County, pop. 91.

COLORADO: Bonanza town, Saguache County, pop. 14.

CONNECTICUT: Fenwick borough, Middlesex County, pop. 52 (Boroughs in
Connecticut are kind of an anomaly; there are very few of them, and
they seem superfluous in the New England town system. For compasrions
with the other New England states, the smallest town is Union town,
Tolland County, pop. 693, which is the only town in the state with
fewer than 1,000 people).

DELAWARE: Farmington town, Kent County, pop. 75.

FLORIDA: Bellaire Shore town, Pineallas County, pop.0; aside from that,
Islandia city, Miami-Dade County, and Marineland town, Flager County
(also a small portion in St. John's County, with no population), pop.
6.

GEORGIA: Edge Hill city, Glascock County, pop. 30.

HAWAII: As I understand it, Hawaii does not have any incorporated
municipalities at all in the sense that they exist in the mainland
U.S., so there is no "smallest municipality" there.

IDAHO: Warm River city, Fremont County, pop. 10.

ILLINOIS: Kaskasia village, Randolph County, pop. 9.

INDIANA: New Amsterdam town, Harrison County, pop. 1.

IOWA: Beaconsfield city, Ringgold County, pop. 11.

KANSAS: Freeport city, Harper County, pop.6.

KENTUCKY: Concord city, Lewis County, pop. 28.

LOUISIANA: Mound village, Madison parish, pop. 12.

MAINE: Frye Island town, Cumberland County, pop. 0; aside from that,
Centerville town, Washington County, pop. 28.

MARYLAND: Port Tobacco Village town, Charles County, pop. 15.

MASSACHUSETTS: Gosnold town, Dukes County, pop. 86.

MICHIGAN: Forestville village, Sanilac County, pop. 127.

MINNESOTA: Tenney city, Wilkin County, pop. 6.

MISSISSIPPI: Learned town, Hinds County, pop. 50.

MISSOURI: Lithium village, Perry County, pop. 0; aside from that, Baker
village, Stoddard County, pop. 5.

MONTANA: Ismay town, Custer County, pop. 26.

NEBRASKA: Monowi village, Boyd County, pop. 2.

NEVADA: Gabbs city, Nye County, pop. 318.

NEW HAMPSHIRE: Harts Location town, Carroll County, pop. 37.

NEW JERSEY: Teterboro borough, Bergen County, pop. 18.

NEW MEXICO: Grenville village, Union County, pop. 25.

NEW YORK: West Hampton Dunes village, Suffolk County, pop. 11.

NORTH CAROLINA: Love Valley town, Iredell County, pop. 30.

NORTH DAKOTA: Hove Mobile Park city, Cavalier County, pop. 2.

OHIO: Miltonsburg village, Monroe County, pop. 29.

OKLAHOMA: Hoot Owl town, Mayes County; and Mule Barn town, Pawnee
County, pop. 0; aside from them, Lambert town, Alfalfa County, pop. 9.

OREGON: Greenhorn city, Baker County (also a small portion in Grant
County), pop.0; aside from that, Granite city, Grant County, and
Lonerock city, Gilliam County, pop. 24.

PENNSYLVANIA: S.P.N.J. borough, Lawrence County, pop. 0; aside from
that, Green Hills borough, Washington county, pop. 18.

RHODE ISLAND: New Shoreham town, Washington County, pop. 1,010.

SOUTH CAROLINA: Lockhart town, Union County, pop. 39.

SOUTH DAKOTA: Hillsview town, McPherson County, pop. 3.

TENNESSEE: Silerton town, Hardeman County (also a small portion in
Chester County, with no population), pop. 60.

TEXAS: Los Ybanez city, Dawson County, pop. 32.

UTAH: Ophir town, Tooele County, pop. 23.

VERMONT: Granby town, Essex County, pop. 86.

VIRGINIA: Columbia town, Fluvanna County, pop. 49.

WASHINGTON: Krupp town, Grant County, pop. 60.

WEST VIRGINIA: Thurmond town, Fayette County, pop. 7.

WISCONSIN: Mason village, Bayfield County, pop. 72.

WYOMING: Lost Springs town, Converse County, pop. 1.

MCT

Dec 6, 2005, 10:02:43 PM12/6/05

The smallest villages in New York, by population (2000 Census):

West Hampton Dunes, Suffolk County, pop. 11
Dering Harbor, Suffolk County, pop. 13
Saltaire, Suffolk County, pop. 43
Herrings, Jefferson County, pop. 129
Ocean Beach, Suffolk County, pop. 138
Ames, Montgomery County, pop. 173
Burke, Franklin County, pop. 213
Galway, Saratoga County, pop. 214
Smyrna, Chenango County, pop. 241
Turin, Lewis County, pop. 263

And the smallest towns by population:

Red House, Cattaraugus County, pop. 38
Montague, Lewis County, pop. 108
Clare, St. Lawrence County, pop. 112
Morehouse, Hamilton County, pop. 151
Duane, Franklin County, pop. 159
Halcott, Greene County, pop. 193
Benson, Hamilton County, pop. 201
Hardenburgh, Ulster County, pop. 208
Worth, Jefferson County, pop. 234
Osceola, Lewis County, pop. 265

By land area, the smallest villages are (broken down to .001 of a
square mile, ties at that point listed in alphabetical order):

Bellerose, Nassau County, 0.10 square miles
South Floral Park, Nassau County, 0.10 square miles
Ames, Montgomery County, 0.13 square miles
Laurens, Otsego County, 0.13 square miles
Ocean Beach, Suffolk County, 0.13 square miles
Grand View-on-Hudson, Rockland County, 0.17 square miles
Kaser, Rockland County, 0.17 square miles
Baxter Estates, Nassau County, 0.18 square miles
Plandome Heights, Nassau County, 0.18 square miles
Russell Gardens, Nassau County, 0.18 square miles

The smallest cities:

Mechanicville, Saratoga County, 0.83 square miles
Watervliet, Albany County, 1.34 square miles
Sherrill, Oneida County, 2.02 square miles
Norwich, Chenango County, 2.04 square miles
Long Beach, Nassau County, 2.14 square miles
Hudson, Columbia County, 2.17 square miles
Port Jervis, Orange County, 2.54 square miles
Hornell, Steuben County, 2.73 square miles
Rensselaer, Rensselaer County, 3.01 square miles
Corning, Steuben County, 3.11 square miles

And the smallest towns:

Green Island, Albany County, 0.70 square miles
East Rochester, Monroe County, 1.35 square miles
Pelham, Westchester County, 2.15 square miles
Mount Kisco, Westchester County, 3.13 square miles
Dickinson, Broome County, 4.79 square miles
Eastchester, Westchester County, 4.91 square miles
Minetto, Oswego County, 5.71 square miles
Dunkirk, Chautaqua County, 6.24 square miles
Waterford, Saratoga County, 6.55 square miles
Mamaroneck, Westchester County, 6.62 square miles

MCT

Dec 6, 2005, 10:05:35 PM12/6/05

Here are the smallest municipalities in New Jersey by population (2000
Census). All are boroughs unless indicated otherwise:

Teterboro, Bergen County, pop. 18
Pine Valley, Camden County, pop. 20
Tavistock, Camden County, pop. 24
Walpack Township, Sussex County, pop. 41
Cape May Point, Cape May County, pop. 241
Loch Arbour*, Monmouth County, pop. 281
Harvey Cedars, Ocean County, pop. 359
Rockleigh, Bergen County, pop. 391
Millstone, Somerset County, pop. 410
Mantoloking, Ocean County, pop. 423

The Census shows the smallest municipalities by land area as follows

(broken down to .001 of a square mile, ties at that point listed in
alphabetical order):

Shrewsbury Township, Monmouth County, 0.09 square miles
East Newark, Hudson County, 0.10 square miles
Loch Arbour, Monmouth County, 0.10 square miles
Audubon Park, Camden County, 0.15 square miles
Victory Gardens, Morris County, 0.15 square miles
Winfield Township, Union County, 0.18 square miles
Guttenberg*, Hudson County, 0.19 square miles
Woodlynne, Camden County, 0.22 square miles
Hi-Nella, Camden County, 0.23 square miles
South Belmar, Monmouth County, 0.25 square miles
Tavistock, Camden County, 0.25 square miles

*Loch Arbour is titled as a village, one of only three such
municipalities in the state; Guttenburg is a town.

Random Waftings Of Bunker Blasts

Dec 6, 2005, 10:20:37 PM12/6/05
On 6 Dec 2005 18:58:06 -0800, "MCT" <maggie...@webtv.net> said:

>MISSOURI: Lithium village, Perry County, pop. 0;

I remember reading an article about how Lithium actually has about 60
people, but the census bureau didn't bother sending anyone a census form.
The apparent reason was that Lithium voted Democratic by an overpowering
margin, so the census bureau just decided to skip it. (Democratic areas got
shortchanged horribly in the 2000 census.)

--

Buy my book about school bullying here:

http://www.lulu.com/content/112781 (recommended)
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?isbn=1411626559

Chris Wilson

Dec 7, 2005, 7:46:07 AM12/7/05
Isn't the smallest twon in AZ Why, with only 3 people?

Nathan Perry

Dec 7, 2005, 2:32:00 PM12/7/05
"MCT" <maggie...@webtv.net> wrote:

> The smallest villages in New York, by population (2000 Census):
>
> West Hampton Dunes, Suffolk County, pop. 11

Wow, didn't realize WHD had slipped to the bottom. The 1990 census pop.
was 517...guess 506 people realized that a sandbar is not a good place
to live.

Is it likely this village will unincorporate? If so, the relatively new
entity may become the shortest-lived municipality in state history.