I-395 DC Exit Numbers

rickmastfan67

Jun 3, 2008, 11:12:16 PM6/3/08
Does anybody have any new info on all the new exit numbers for it?

Oscar Voss

Jun 4, 2008, 6:40:38 AM6/4/08
"rickmastfan67" <rickma...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Does anybody have any new info on all the new exit numbers for it?

I commute on it most every day, so I have been following the gradual
addition of exit numbers. They appear to be assigned sequentially, rather
than milepost-based, with gaps in the sequence I haven't figured out. Plus
the signage is more complete northbound than southbound.

The latest exit number signs added -- exit 6 for the ramp from northbound
I-395 (just after it splits from the Southwest Freeway heading into the 3rd
Street Tunnel) to the House side of Capitol Hill; and exit 8 for the
counterpart ramp southbound. Exits 1 (northbound), 2 (northbound only for
now, but I suspect a southbound sign is on the way), 4 (northbound), and 5
(southbound) have also been posted. Nothing yet for the exits I take to get
to work, usually D St. NW and sometimes Massachusetts Ave. NW.

--
Oscar Voss - oscar...@comcast.net - Arlington VA

my Hot Springs and Highways pages: http://home.comcast.net/~oscar.voss/
Hawaii Highways: http://www.hawaiihighways.com/

Steve A.

Jun 4, 2008, 8:02:20 PM6/4/08
On Jun 4, 6:40 am, "Oscar Voss" <oscar.v...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "rickmastfan67" <rickmastfa...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Does anybody have any new info on all the new exit numbers for it?
>
> I commute on it most every day, so I have been following the gradual
> addition of exit numbers. They appear to be assigned sequentially, rather
> than milepost-based, with gaps in the sequence I haven't figured out. Plus
> the signage is more complete northbound than southbound.
>
> The latest exit number signs added -- exit 6 for the ramp from northbound
> I-395 (just after it splits from the Southwest Freeway heading into the 3rd
> Street Tunnel) to the House side of Capitol Hill; and exit 8 for the
> counterpart ramp southbound. Exits 1 (northbound), 2 (northbound only for
> now, but I suspect a southbound sign is on the way), 4 (northbound), and 5
> (southbound) have also been posted. Nothing yet for the exits I take to get
> to work, usually D St. NW and sometimes Massachusetts Ave. NW.

Is this sign replacement or just addition of exit tabs? I'd sure hate
to see perfectly good button copy go in the garbage.

rickmastfan67

Jun 5, 2008, 12:39:36 AM6/5/08
On Jun 4, 6:40 am, "Oscar Voss" <oscar.v...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "rickmastfan67" <rickmastfa...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Does anybody have any new info on all the new exit numbers for it?
>
> I commute on it most every day, so I have been following the gradual
> addition of exit numbers. They appear to be assigned sequentially, rather
> than milepost-based, with gaps in the sequence I haven't figured out. Plus
> the signage is more complete northbound than southbound.
>
> The latest exit number signs added -- exit 6 for the ramp from northbound
> I-395 (just after it splits from the Southwest Freeway heading into the 3rd
> Street Tunnel) to the House side of Capitol Hill; and exit 8 for the
> counterpart ramp southbound. Exits 1 (northbound), 2 (northbound only for
> now, but I suspect a southbound sign is on the way), 4 (northbound), and 5
> (southbound) have also been posted. Nothing yet for the exits I take to get
> to work, usually D St. NW and sometimes Massachusetts Ave. NW.
>
> --
> Oscar Voss - oscar.v...@comcast.net - Arlington VA

> my Hot Springs and Highways pages: http://home.comcast.net/~oscar.voss/
> Hawaii Highways: http://www.hawaiihighways.com/

Oscar, is there any way you can get pictures/video of them, or
complete list of each exit and it's number and where each exit goes
to? Because we want to upgrade the DC I-395 File @ the Clinched
Highway project with it's exit numbers and have it all correct. ;)

Oscar Voss

Jun 6, 2008, 1:06:35 AM6/6/08

> Oscar, is there any way you can get pictures/video of them, or
> complete list of each exit and it's number and where each exit goes
> to? Because we want to upgrade the DC I-395 File @ the Clinched
> Highway project with it's exit numbers and have it all correct. ;)

Maybe once they finish adding the exit numbers (I just noticed two more
added yesterday, for exits 2 and 4 southbound). I don't even have a video
camera, and some of the exits (like the ones inside the 3rd Street Tunnel)
aren't real conducive to picture-taking. So a list will probably have to
do.

--
Oscar Voss - oscar...@comcast.net - Arlington VA

Oscar Voss

Jun 6, 2008, 1:22:01 AM6/6/08
"Steve A." <webm...@alpsroads.net> wrote in message

> Is this sign replacement or just addition of exit tabs? I'd sure hate
> to see perfectly good button copy go in the garbage.

Mostly just new exit tabs, but there've been some sign replacements (mainly
where required to add references to the new Nationals baseball stadium).
The most prominent sign replacement is at the I-395/US 1 split at the D.C.
end of the 14th Street Bridge, which changed the I-395 "control city" from
Baltimore/New York to Capitol Hill/Verizon Center/Nationals Stadium.
(Sensible move, IMO, and perhaps intended to discourage people from using
I-395 as a through route.)

There's one sign with a new exit tab that needed a lot more work than just
adding the tab. Northbound, the first sign for newly-numbered exit 6 (C St.
SW/the House) is over the #2 lane, while the sign for the one I-395 through
lane leaving the Southwest Freeway to go through the 3rd Street Tunnel is
over the #4 lane. The next set of signs, the C St. SW exit sign is over the
#4 lane where it belongs, while the one for the through I-395 lane is over
the #5 lane (just added at the on-ramp from 6th St. SW). This probably
causes confusion to D.C. newbies headed to the south side of Capitol Hill,
and the first set of signs needs to be replaced or shifted to direct all
Capitol Hill/I-395 through traffic into the #4 lane.

rickmastfan67

Jun 5, 2008, 3:00:27 AM6/5/08
On Jun 6, 1:06 am, "Oscar Voss" <oscar.v...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "rickmastfan67" <rickmastfa...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Oscar, is there any way you can get pictures/video of them, or
> > complete list of each exit and it's number and where each exit goes
> > to? Because we want to upgrade the DC I-395 File @ the Clinched
> > Highway project with it's exit numbers and have it all correct. ;)
>
> Maybe once they finish adding the exit numbers (I just noticed two more
> added yesterday, for exits 2 and 4 southbound). I don't even have a video
> camera, and some of the exits (like the ones inside the 3rd Street Tunnel)
> aren't real conducive to picture-taking. So a list will probably have to
> do.
>
> --
> Oscar Voss - oscar.v...@comcast.net - Arlington VA

> my Hot Springs and Highways pages: http://home.comcast.net/~oscar.voss/
> Hawaii Highways: http://www.hawaiihighways.com/

Well, when they have all the exit numbers up, I'll be looking forward
to that list. ;)

Oscar Voss

Jul 27, 2008, 3:43:02 PM7/27/08
"rickmastfan67" <rickma...@gmail.com> wrote (about two months ago) in
message

> Well, when they have all the exit numbers up, I'll be looking forward
> to that list. ;)

Here goes, even though there are some gaps in the exit numbers (some exit
numbers were posted during the vacation I just returned from, maybe the gaps
will be filled soon). As previously noted, the exit numbers are sequential.

1 (northbound only): 14th Street SW
2: Potomac Park
3 (northbound only, exit # unposted): 12th Street SW
4: Maine Avenue SW
5 (southbound only): 6th Street/7th Street SW
6 (northbound only): C Street SW
7 (exit # unposted northbound): SW/SE Freeway, To I-295
8 (southbound only): 2nd Street SW
9 (northbound only): D Street NW
10 (northbound only): Massachusetts Avenue NW
11 (southbound only): to 3rd Street NW (@ E Street)

The SW/SE Freeway exit northbound arguably should be signed as exit 5, since
I-395 peels away from the SW/SE Freeway before exit 6 peels away from I-395,
rather than exit 7 to match the posted number on the corresponding
southbound exit. So the northbound exit number is a guess at this point.

There's not a complete match between the above exits and the ones shown in
the Clinched Interstate site's Highway Browser. Its "DStSW" exit is
assigned different numbers in each direction (6 to C St. SW northbound, 8 to
2nd St. SW southbound). Ditto the "DStNW" exit (9 northbound, 11 to 3rd
Street NW southbound). Since the 9th Street Tunnel is southbound-only, the
"9thSt exit" is only a pair of entrance ramps onto I-395 and so is not
assigned an exit number.

--
Oscar Voss - oscar...@comcast.net - Arlington VA