2001 atlas

Kevin Robokoff

Aug 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/19/00

Presnwap wrote:

> What will be some changes in the 2001 atlas? Will there be any major changes?
> Does anyone have a guess or clue?

You mean changes state by state with highway upgrades??? or in map design or
other?????

Kevin
krob...@hotmail.com

Presnwap

Aug 19, 2000, 11:24:54 PM8/19/00

Presnwap

Aug 20, 2000, 2:03:02 AM8/20/00
state by state and highway upgrades

rvdroz

Aug 20, 2000, 2:23:42 AM8/20/00
Presnwap wrote:

> What will be some changes in the 2001 atlas? Will there be any major changes?
> Does anyone have a guess or clue?

Finally showing US 63 into Louisiana. Bunch of minor route relocations.A few new Business routes. RMcN will probably show the US 27 / US 127 change
since it was finally approved. The I-49 extension in Louisiana. Extended I-540 in AR and I-270 in CO. No US 31 in Indianapolis. No I-265 in TN.
Basically no surprises.
(AASHTO route actions listed above)
Happy Motoring! _________
Robert V. Droz ( us...@earthlink.net ) |______|_\__
U.S. Highways : From US 1 to (US 830) |______|_|__\
http://members.xoom.com/us98/UShwy.htm () ()

Sherman C.

Aug 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/20/00

>> What will be some changes in the 2001 atlas? Will there be any major
changes?
>> Does anyone have a guess or clue?
>
>Finally showing US 63 into Louisiana. Bunch of minor route relocations.A
few new Business routes. RMcN will probably show the US 27 / US 127 change
>since it was finally approved. The I-49 extension in Louisiana. Extended
I-540 in AR and I-270 in CO. No US 31 in Indianapolis. No I-265 in TN.

The 2000 atlas shows I-540 extension in AR.

rvdroz

Aug 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/20/00
"Sherman C." wrote:

> The 2000 atlas shows I-540 extension in AR.

Future I-540 was extended from Fayetteville to Rogers this past year.
(I don't see any shields on this road, I must have a old copy)

rvdroz

Aug 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/20/00
Presnwap wrote:

> state by state and highway upgrades

Why? We do try to answer questions here, but most of us like to look at the atlases and pay attention the newsgroups threads. Please give a more
specific question.
(Now when the 2001's do arrive, you will get a nice long thread on what is noticed, it is an annual thread that lasts a few months... maybe it is in
the Deja records?

stéphane dumas

Aug 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/20/00

rvdroz a écrit dans le message <399F7941...@earthlink.net>...

>Presnwap wrote:
>
>> What will be some changes in the 2001 atlas? Will there be any major
changes? Does anyone have a guess or clue?

>Finally showing US 63 into Louisiana. Bunch of minor route relocations.A
few new Business routes. RMcN will probably show the US 27 / US 127 change
since it was finally approved. The I-49 extension in Louisiana. Extended
I-540 in AR and I-270 in CO. No US 31 in Indianapolis. No I-265 in TN.
Basically no surprises.
>(AASHTO route actions listed above)

I wonder if they will shows the following changes

-a square (for interchange) at the meet of OH Tpk/l-80 and l-77 (or perhaps
they will wait for the 2002 edition, same thing for the l-76/l-79 Exit 24 in
Pittsburgh)?

-the "NB Turnpike" aka TCH 2 freeway between Moncton and Fredericton in NB ?

-Ted Williams Tunnel marked as l-90 in Boston?

-the new US36/l-72 bridge between Missourri and Illinois?

-ONT407 between Mississauga (Eastern ONT403) and Burlington ONT(at the
junction of the Western ONT403 and the QEW)?

I could be interesting to see RMcN using the late Goshua's road atlas map
design (since they buyed Goshua it shouldn't be so difficult) or even
MapArt's map design

>Happy Motoring! _________
>Robert V. Droz ( us...@earthlink.net ) |______|_\__
>U.S. Highways : From US 1 to (US 830) |______|_|__\
>http://members.xoom.com/us98/UShwy.htm () ()

Stéphane Dumas steph...@videotron.ca

Froggie

Aug 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/20/00

> Finally showing US 63 into Louisiana.

Dumb idea that it was...

> The I-49 extension in Louisiana.

Ummmmmmmmm...I could've sworn that I-49 was NOT extended in Louisiana,
unless LADOTD has had some mad construction that they started AND
finished in the last couple months. IIRC, their request for I-49 was
denied, but in consolation, they might get I-910 for the Westbank (in
New Orleans).

Froggie | Lauderdale, MS | http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

TEXAS

Aug 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/20/00

"rvdroz" <us...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Sherman C." wrote:
>
> > The 2000 atlas shows I-540 extension in AR.
>
> Future I-540 was extended from Fayetteville to Rogers this past year.
> (I don't see any shields on this road, I must have a old copy)

No Robert, you're right, there are no shields on this portion of the 2000
RMN.

Jason Hancock

Aug 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/20/00
Presnwap wrote:

> state by state and highway upgrades

If recent history is any indication, RMcN will finally show a completed
US 18 bypass of Mason City but no Charles City bypass. They'll show US
61 as four lanes between the Quad Cities and Dubuque even if it has been
open for nearly a year; ditto the last segments of IA 163. They also
won't show the remaining segments of the IA 5 freeway south of Des
Moines at all, let alone as under construction. Basically, RMcN takes
what's on the current IaDOT map, which always comes out in the spring,
and puts it in the atlas.

--Jason <http://members.xoom.com/jhancoc>
(Home of the Iowa Highways Page & Freeway Junctions of the Heartland)

Brian LeBlanc

Aug 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/20/00
On Sun, 20 Aug 2000 15:08:28 GMT, Froggie <fro...@mississippi.net>
wrote:

>Ummmmmmmmm...I could've sworn that I-49 was NOT extended in Louisiana,
>unless LADOTD has had some mad construction that they started AND
>finished in the last couple months. IIRC, their request for I-49 was
>denied, but in consolation, they might get I-910 for the Westbank (in
>New Orleans).

I think what Robert is referring to are the sections of US 90 that
have been brought up to I- standard, but not yet signed I-49. This
was also in the 2000 atlas. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't I-910
a temporary thing until I-49 is completed all the way to New Orleans
(a la I-540 in Raleigh)?

Brian LeBlanc - Raleigh, NC
bdle...@unity.ncsu.edu
Wake County Roads: http://wcr.cjb.net
---
"When I was a kid we got spanked by presidents till the cows came home! Grover Cleveland spanked me on two non-consecutive occasions!" -Grampa Simpson

Froggie

Aug 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/20/00

> I think what Robert is referring to are the sections
> of US 90 that have been brought up to I- standard, but
> not yet signed I-49. This was also in the 2000 atlas.
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't I-910 a temporary
> thing until I-49 is completed all the way to New
> Orleans (a la I-540 in Raleigh)?

If that is the case, then that is correct. AASHTO denied the I-49
petition because the currently completed sections (Westbank, and then US
90 from Morgan City east to Raceland) do not connect to I-49 at
Lafayette, but they offered New Orleans I-910 for the Westbank. I
haven't heard anything more about I-910 yet, but I'm working on it.

rvdroz

Aug 20, 2000, 11:08:03 PM8/20/00
Froggie wrote:

> > I think what Robert is referring to are the sections
> > of US 90 that have been brought up to I- standard, but
> > not yet signed I-49. This was also in the 2000 atlas.
> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't I-910 a temporary
> > thing until I-49 is completed all the way to New
> > Orleans (a la I-540 in Raleigh)?
>
> If that is the case, then that is correct. AASHTO denied the I-49
> petition because the currently completed sections (Westbank, and then US
> 90 from Morgan City east to Raceland) do not connect to I-49 at
> Lafayette, but they offered New Orleans I-910 for the Westbank. I
> haven't heard anything more about I-910 yet, but I'm working on it.

Route Numbering Actions by AASHTO:
11/1998: I-49 "Future" Approved from Lafayette, LA to I-310 W of New Orleans.
10/1999: Business US 90 Morgan City
10/1999: I-49 "Future" Approved from I-310 to I-10

Thomas Lee, Jr

Aug 21, 2000, 1:44:34 AM8/21/00

"stéphane dumas" <steph...@videotron.ca> wrote in message

> -Ted Williams Tunnel marked as l-90 in Boston?

That stretch won't be designated as I-90 until it connects with the existing
I-90. (I think that will be about 2 years from now)

Froggie

Aug 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/21/00

> Route Numbering Actions by AASHTO:
> 11/1998: I-49 "Future" Approved from Lafayette, LA to
> I-310 W of New Orleans.
> 10/1999: Business US 90 Morgan City
> 10/1999: I-49 "Future" Approved from I-310 to I-10

Already know about the I-49 FUTURE signs...both myself and Alex Nitzman
have seen them posted and have pics. What I was referring to was a
petition within the past year where LADOTD (or whomever) petitioned
AASHTO to sign the given sections as ACTUAL I-49, not just FUTURE.
THAT was what was denied, and they were offered I-910 instead.

rvdroz

Aug 21, 2000, 10:21:18 PM8/21/00
Froggie wrote:

> > Route Numbering Actions by AASHTO:
> > 11/1998: I-49 "Future" Approved from Lafayette, LA to
> > I-310 W of New Orleans.
> > 10/1999: Business US 90 Morgan City
> > 10/1999: I-49 "Future" Approved from I-310 to I-10
>

> Already know about the I-49 FUTURE signs...both myself and Alex Nitzman
> have seen them posted and have pics. What I was referring to was a
> petition within the past year where LADOTD (or whomever) petitioned
> AASHTO to sign the given sections as ACTUAL I-49, not just FUTURE.
> THAT was what was denied, and they were offered I-910 instead.

No I-910 in AASHTO route numbering actions ... must be a local thing.
It is to be "Future" until the route is improved.
Oddly enough, US 63's extension in Arrkansas might be recinded if improvements are not made to the route, no mention of possibly removing the
Louisiana part.

Scott

Aug 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/22/00
In article <39A1E36D...@earthlink.net>, rvdroz <us...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Froggie wrote:
>
> > > Route Numbering Actions by AASHTO:
> > > 11/1998: I-49 "Future" Approved from Lafayette, LA to
> > > I-310 W of New Orleans.
> > > 10/1999: Business US 90 Morgan City
> > > 10/1999: I-49 "Future" Approved from I-310 to I-10
> >
> > Already know about the I-49 FUTURE signs...both myself and Alex Nitzman
> > have seen them posted and have pics. What I was referring to was a
> > petition within the past year where LADOTD (or whomever) petitioned
> > AASHTO to sign the given sections as ACTUAL I-49, not just FUTURE.
> > THAT was what was denied, and they were offered I-910 instead.
>
> No I-910 in AASHTO route numbering actions ... must be a local thing.
> It is to be "Future" until the route is improved.
> Oddly enough, US 63's extension in Arrkansas might be recinded
> if improvements are not made to the route, no mention of possibly removing the
> Louisiana part.

I have this source for the I-910 numbering:
New Orleans Times-Picayune, 'I-910 may pave path in N.O.,' April 1, 2000.

I checked the site (http://www.timespicayune.com) but couldn't find an
archive, so here's my copy:
--------------
I-910 may pave path in N.O.

By Richard Sine West Bank bureau/The Times-Picayune 4-1-00

The New Orleans area soon could be home to Interstate 910, if local and state
officials can be assured that so designating the stretch of U.S. 90 from
Interstate 10 to the end of the elevated West Bank Expressway won't result in
loss of control or money.

Federal officials offered to make the 9.7-mile segment - which includes the
Crescent City Connection - a spur of I-10, similar to I-510 or I-610, after they
rejected a request to name the section part of the I-49 corridor.

The new designation could boost business development on the West Bank, said Kam
Movassaghi, secretary of the state Department of Transportation and Development.
"Many times when a company is locating .$.$. the first question is, how far are
we from an interstate highway? Then you are on a network from one end to the
other of the country."

Gretna Mayor Ronnie Harris said the new designation would be "a psychological
boost to the West Bank." Gretna's City Council has endorsed the designation if
the state requests it.

"We got an interstate," Harris said. "And why? Because we paid for it."

The new designation arises from an ongoing statewide effort to bring the I-49
north-south corridor to southeast Louisiana. U.S. 90 Business was
designated part
of a future I-49 corridor by federal legislation passed in 1991. In May,
Movassaghi asked federal officials to formally label U.S. 90 Business part of
I-49, along with another segment of U.S. 90 from Raceland to Berwick.

In September, the federal officials rejected the two requests because neither
segment is connected to an I-49 segment, but offered to make the U.S. 90
Business
segment a spur of 1-10 until I-49 is extended.

"We are designating the spur as I-910, subject to your request and
concurrence by
the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials," wrote
Kenneth R. Wykle of the Federal Highway Administration. The spur meets federal
interstate design standards, which require ramp access, wide lanes and other
measures to ensure the free and safe flow of traffic, Wykle said. The American
Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials ensures that new
interstates are not using duplicate names.

But state Sen. Francis Heitmeier, D-New Orleans, chairman of the Senate
Committee
on Transportation, said he is concerned that the designation might result
in loss
of state control over the Crescent City Connection Division. The division
oversees the bridge police, who also patrol the elevated expressway. The
division
also manages the roughly $18 million in toll money motorists pay annually. "My
concern was, do we lose the bridge police and what happens to the toll money,"
Heitmeier said.

Movassaghi said his agency's attorneys believe that the state will not lose
control of the Crescent City Connection Division, but he is writing to the
Federal Highway Administration for formal answers to those concerns. If there is
no loss of local control, Movassaghi said he will pursue the request. The
designation would have to be approved by the I-49 task force and the
Legislature.

It is doubtful that the designation would mean more money for the segment. The
expressway is already maintained using federal funds, Movassaghi said. The new
designation would shift the maintenance costs to a different pot of federal
money, he said. That pot, the Interstate Maintenance Fund, is intended for
roadway maintenance and generally cannot be used for new road projects, he said.
-----

--
Kurumi http://www.kurumi.com
3di's, Conn. Roads, SignMaker, TrippyDrive '71, Me and the Roads

rvdroz

Aug 23, 2000, 11:01:18 PM8/23/00
Scott wrote:

> I have this source for the I-910 numbering:
> New Orleans Times-Picayune, 'I-910 may pave path in N.O.,' April 1, 2000.
>
> I checked the site (http://www.timespicayune.com) but couldn't find an
> archive, so here's my copy:
> I-910 may pave path in N.O.
>
> By Richard Sine West Bank bureau/The Times-Picayune 4-1-00
>
> The New Orleans area soon could be home to Interstate 910, if local and state
> officials can be assured that so designating the stretch of U.S. 90 from
> Interstate 10 to the end of the elevated West Bank Expressway won't result in
> loss of control or money.

It might be in the next update. It was not in the April 7, 2000 listing of AASHTO actions.