NYC exit number changes

SPUI

Feb 5, 2002, 7:23:01 PM2/5/02
At the current time a bunch of changes are happening with the exit numbers
in NYC:
I-95: the mile-based up to exit 8 and then sequential system is becoming
fully sequential
I-278: 44 has become 47, 45 to 48, and 46 to 49; the exits east of 49 still
aren't numbered; they may be renumbering in Queens too
I-295: 8 became 9, 10 was added (I-695), and 9 became 11 - was the CIP exit
numbered as 8? Or was it a larger scale renumbering, with 6B becoming 7?
I-678: Currently exit 16 is the last exit, and is northbound only (?). But
recent signage ( http://plover.net/~green/imgnew/020203/hrp-nb-ex19w.jpg )
on the ramp from I-678 north to I-95 south and I-278 west calls the Bruckner
Interchange exit 19, and so exits 17 and 18 will be numbered.
I-495: exits 14, 15, and 16 were added recently
Also many parkways (such as the Saw Mill River) just received exit numbers a
couple years ago.

--
Dan Moraseski - 14th grade at MIT
http://spui.cjb.net/ - FL NJ MA route logs and exit lists

Christopher Blaney

Feb 5, 2002, 9:36:59 PM2/5/02
> At the current time a bunch of changes are happening with the exit numbers
> in NYC:
> I-95: the mile-based up to exit 8 and then sequential system is becoming
> fully sequential
OK, so the exit numbers are going to be:

OLD    NEW    Name
---    1S-N   US9/NY9A HHP/178 St
---     2     Amsterdam Ave/Harlem River Dr
1C      3     I-87 Maj Deegan Expwy
2A      4     Jerome Ave
2B      5     US 1 Webster Ave
3       6     3rd Ave
4A      7     I-895 Sheridan Expwy
4B      8     Rosedale Ave / Bronx River Pkwy
5A      9     Westchester Ave / White Plains Rd
5B     10     Castle Hill Ave
6A     11     I-678 South Whitestone Br
6B     12-+
7A     13-|-} I-295/I-678/I-695/Tremont Ave Bruckner Interchange
7B     14-+
7C     15     Country Club Rd
8A     16     Westchester Ave
8B-C   17E-W  Orchard Beach E / Pelham Pkwy W
9      18     Hutch NORTH
10     19     Gun Hill Rd
11     20     Co-op City
12     21     Baychester Ave
13     22     Conner St
14     23     Hutch SOUTH
15     24     US 1 New Rochelle/Pelhams
16     25     North Ave/Cedar St New Rochelle
---TOLL---
17     26     Larchmont
18     27S-N  Mamaroneck/White Plains
19     28     Playland Pkwy
20     29S    US 1 South / Rye
21     29N    US 1 North
21     30     I-287 West
22     31     Port Chester / Rye

Am I correct?

> I-278: 44 has become 47, 45 to 48, and 46 to 49; the exits east of 49 still
> aren't numbered; they may be renumbering in Queens too
Where do they get this numbering? As far as I can tell, it should only have moved UP one number, not three. (Unless they want to take out some of the A's&B's of earlier exits). Then the unnumbered exits should be 50, 51N-S, 52, and 53.

Chris Blaney

Mike Tantillo

Feb 6, 2002, 12:22:26 AM2/6/02

SPUI wrote in message
<3c60777a$0$3929$b45e...@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu>...

>At the current time a bunch of changes are happening with the exit numbers
>in NYC:
>I-95: the mile-based up to exit 8 and then sequential system is becoming
>fully sequential

Does NY Thruway authority have plans to renumber its portion of I-95 too?

>I-278: 44 has become 47, 45 to 48, and 46 to 49; the exits east of 49 still
>aren't numbered; they may be renumbering in Queens too
>I-295: 8 became 9, 10 was added (I-695), and 9 became 11 - was the CIP exit
>numbered as 8? Or was it a larger scale renumbering, with 6B becoming 7?

CIP exit has never had a number. But, then again, neither do a lot of exits
immediately following a MTA crossing whith signage on the crossing itself
(Belt exit on the Verrazano, CIP exit on the Whitestone Bridge). So, it
could be unsigned exit 8, OR, it can be un-numbered with Willits Pt. Blvd
being 8, old 6B being 7, and old 6A becomming just plain 6. I don't know,
because I never take the Clearview, I always exit onto the Cross Island when
coming over the TNB.

>I-678: Currently exit 16 is the last exit, and is northbound only (?). But
>recent signage ( http://plover.net/~green/imgnew/020203/hrp-nb-ex19w.jpg )
>on the ramp from I-678 north to I-95 south and I-278 west calls the
Bruckner
>Interchange exit 19, and so exits 17 and 18 will be numbered.

Exit 17 would be 3rd Ave NB, 16th Ave SB (QUeens), Exit 18 should be
Lafayette St./Ferry Point Park

>I-495: exits 14, 15, and 16 were added recently
>Also many parkways (such as the Saw Mill River) just received exit numbers
>couple years ago.

Still waiting for Sprain Brook/Taconic.....

Mike Tantillo

Feb 6, 2002, 12:22:26 AM2/6/02

SPUI wrote in message
<3c60777a$0$3929$b45e...@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu>...
>At the current time a bunch of changes are happening with the exit numbers
>in NYC:
>I-95: the mile-based up to exit 8 and then sequential system is becoming
>fully sequential

Does NY Thruway authority have plans to renumber its portion of I-95 too?

>I-278: 44 has become 47, 45 to 48, and 46 to 49; the exits east of 49 still

>aren't numbered; they may be renumbering in Queens too
>I-295: 8 became 9, 10 was added (I-695), and 9 became 11 - was the CIP exit
>numbered as 8? Or was it a larger scale renumbering, with 6B becoming 7?

CIP exit has never had a number. But, then again, neither do a lot of exits

immediately following a MTA crossing whith signage on the crossing itself
(Belt exit on the Verrazano, CIP exit on the Whitestone Bridge). So, it
could be unsigned exit 8, OR, it can be un-numbered with Willits Pt. Blvd
being 8, old 6B being 7, and old 6A becomming just plain 6. I don't know,
because I never take the Clearview, I always exit onto the Cross Island when
coming over the TNB.

>I-678: Currently exit 16 is the last exit, and is northbound only (?). But

>recent signage ( http://plover.net/~green/imgnew/020203/hrp-nb-ex19w.jpg )
>on the ramp from I-678 north to I-95 south and I-278 west calls the
Bruckner
>Interchange exit 19, and so exits 17 and 18 will be numbered.

Exit 17 would be 3rd Ave NB, 16th Ave SB (QUeens), Exit 18 should be
Lafayette St./Ferry Point Park

>I-495: exits 14, 15, and 16 were added recently

>Also many parkways (such as the Saw Mill River) just received exit numbers
>couple years ago.

Still waiting for Sprain Brook/Taconic.....

David J. Greenberger

Feb 6, 2002, 1:17:34 AM2/6/02
"Christopher Blaney" <cbl...@twcny.rr.com> writes:

> OK, so the exit numbers are going to be:
>
> OLD NEW Name
> --- 1S-N US9/NY9A HHP/178 St

Not 1S-N. A single ramp departs from each level of the bridge, and that
ramp then splits multiple times. (Specifically, first the 178th Street
ramp peels off. Then the ramps from the two levels merge. Then the
outer two lanes diverge on separate paths to Riverside Drive and the NB
HHP while the inner two lanes ramp down to the SB HHP.)
--
David J. Greenberger
New York, NY

SPUI

Feb 6, 2002, 9:04:27 AM2/6/02

"Mike Tantillo" <mj...@duke.edu> wrote in message

> >I-678: Currently exit 16 is the last exit, and is northbound only (?).
But
> >recent signage
( http://plover.net/~green/imgnew/020203/hrp-nb-ex19w.jpg )
> >on the ramp from I-678 north to I-95 south and I-278 west calls the
> Bruckner
> >Interchange exit 19, and so exits 17 and 18 will be numbered.
>
> Exit 17 would be 3rd Ave NB, 16th Ave SB (QUeens), Exit 18 should be
> Lafayette St./Ferry Point Park

Probably 17 would be 3rd and 16th and 18 would be Lafayette.

Mike Tantillo

Feb 6, 2002, 4:12:26 PM2/6/02

SPUI wrote in message
<3c613802$0$3951$b45e...@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu>...

Now that is what I just said..... =)

SPUI

Feb 6, 2002, 5:13:27 PM2/6/02

> SPUI wrote in message
> <3c613802$0$3951$b45e...@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu>...
> >
> >Probably 17 would be 3rd and 16th and 18 would be Lafayette.
>
> Now that is what I just said..... =)

Oops - I think I saw 16th as exit 16. Doh.

Christopher Blaney

Feb 6, 2002, 5:15:09 PM2/6/02
"David J. Greenberger" <dav...@email.com> wrote in message

> Not 1S-N. A single ramp departs from each level of the bridge, and that
> ramp then splits multiple times. (Specifically, first the 178th Street
> ramp peels off. Then the ramps from the two levels merge. Then the
> outer two lanes diverge on separate paths to Riverside Drive and the NB
> HHP while the inner two lanes ramp down to the SB HHP.)

I guess, then, it would be posted Exit 1 from both the upstairs and
downstairs levels of the GWB, then it would be EXIT 1E for 178 St, then 1N
for Riverside Drive/NB HHP, then 1S for SB HHP. Or 1A, 1B, 1C, in the same
order. Or even 1, 2, 3, and then bump the other numbers in my exit list by
two.

Chris Blaney

Mike Tantillo

Feb 6, 2002, 5:26:43 PM2/6/02

David J. Greenberger wrote in message ...

David's right.....it will be Exit 1.....as indicated by a sign I saw on the
upper level saying something to the effect of "US 9, use Exit 1". Not 1E or
1S, just plain 'ol 1.

Sherman Cahal

Feb 6, 2002, 7:14:29 PM2/6/02
http://plover.net/~green/imgnew/020203/hrp-nb-ex19w.jpg
Is this an image of the reconstructed bridge that was undergoing renovations
in 2000? Are they redoing other parts as well? I remember the road being
very shitty the last time I was there in 2000.

--
--Sherman Cahal
http://www.cahaltech.com

"SPUI" <sp...@mit.BUTIDONTLIKESPeduAM> wrote in message

Steve Anderson

Feb 6, 2002, 11:01:58 PM2/6/02
Mike Tantillo wrote:

> >I-678: Currently exit 16 is the last exit, and is northbound only (?). But
> >recent signage ( http://plover.net/~green/imgnew/020203/hrp-nb-ex19w.jpg )
> >on the ramp from I-678 north to I-95 south and I-278 west calls the
> Bruckner
> >Interchange exit 19, and so exits 17 and 18 will be numbered.
>
> Exit 17 would be 3rd Ave NB, 16th Ave SB (QUeens), Exit 18 should be
> Lafayette St./Ferry Point Park

EXIT 18 on the "Hutchinson River" section of I-678 in the Bronx is
posted northbound for Lafayette Avenue; the exit tab is not posted
southbound for "Ferry Point Park-Local Streets."

There are no exit tabs for EXIT 17 (3rd Avenue northbound, 14th Avenue
southbound) for the Whitestone Expressway section of I-678 in Queens.

What intrigues me is that the "EXIT 19" sign posted is on I-95
southbound...

-- Steve Anderson
http://www.nycroads.com
http://www.phillyroads.com
http://www.bostonroads.com

SPUI

Feb 7, 2002, 8:43:05 AM2/7/02

"Steve Anderson" <nycr...@erols.com> wrote in message

> > >I-678: Currently exit 16 is the last exit, and is northbound only (?).
But
> > >recent signage
http://plover.net/~green/imgnew/020203/hrp-nb-ex19w.jpg )
> > >on the ramp from I-678 north to I-95 south and I-278 west calls the
> > Bruckner
> > >Interchange exit 19, and so exits 17 and 18 will be numbered.

> What intrigues me is that the "EXIT 19" sign posted is on I-95
> southbound...

That's the ramp from I-678 north to I-95 south.
http://plover.net/~green/img/bruck-eb-ex6b.jpg is on I-95 south.

Daniel Dey

Feb 7, 2002, 12:34:00 PM2/7/02

While they're at it, they really should re-number the exits on the Bronx
River Parkway north of Exit 10. What's with those no-number exits between
there and Cross County Parkway?

Daniel Timothy Dey

AKirsc5653

Feb 7, 2002, 11:47:07 PM2/7/02
> was the CIP exit
>>numbered as 8? Or was it a larger scale renumbering, with 6B becoming 7?
>
>CIP exit has never had a number.

But now there is a small "Exit 8" sign at the southbound ramp from the Throgs
Neck Br. to the Cross Island. Still no exit tab, though.

So far, the exit renumbering has been a halfassed effort. The new exit numbers
on the Bruckner have been alongside the old ones, conflicting the hell out of
each other, for years now. I don't expect the situation to be any different for
I-95. Then again, they have been fairly dilligent with I-295.

With I-278, they really should change the exits on the GCP section to I-278
numbers. That is, numbered in the '40's and increasing towards the bridge.

For instance:

43 ("westbound" exit/"eastbound" entry) Grand Central Parkway EAST-Hauppaugue
44 (wb entry eb exit) Hoyt Ave
45 (wb exit/eb entry) 31st St.

But then Hoyt and 31st St are really the same exit....Owww this is headache
material!

:-D Andrew

AKirsc5653

Feb 9, 2002, 1:02:13 AM2/9/02
>While they're at it, they really should re-number the exits on the Bronx
>River Parkway north of Exit 10. What's with those no-number exits between
>there and Cross County Parkway?

Agreed. And maybe even the exits on the BRP north of the Sprain should be
renumbered to continue the numbering from the Bronx.

:-) Andrew

David J. Greenberger

Feb 11, 2002, 12:30:50 AM2/11/02
"Sherman Cahal" <she...@cahaltech.com> writes:

> http://plover.net/~green/imgnew/020203/hrp-nb-ex19w.jpg
> Is this an image of the reconstructed bridge that was undergoing renovations
> in 2000? Are they redoing other parts as well? I remember the road being
> very shitty the last time I was there in 2000.

More details, please. This is the ramp from the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge
(NB I-678) to the WB Cross Bronx Expressway (SB I-95) and Bruckner
Expressway (WB I-278). At least I think it is -- I had to study
Nathan's Bruckner Interchange page for a while just to find it.

David J. Greenberger

Feb 11, 2002, 12:30:51 AM2/11/02
akirs...@cs.com (AKirsc5653) writes:

> With I-278, they really should change the exits on the GCP section to I-278
> numbers. That is, numbered in the '40's and increasing towards the bridge.
>
> For instance:
>
> 43 ("westbound" exit/"eastbound" entry) Grand Central Parkway EAST-Hauppaugue
> 44 (wb entry eb exit) Hoyt Ave
> 45 (wb exit/eb entry) 31st St.

Why? According to the traffic counts at
http://www.dot.state.ny.us/tech_serv/high/countfiles/queens.pdf , most
of the traffic on the Triboro Bridge continues on the GCP rather than
exiting to the BQE, and most BQE traffic uses the east leg.
Specifically, the counts are 124,991 on the GCP just east of the bridge,
52,948 on the west leg of the BQE, and 119,573 past the merger of the
two legs.

I-278 is not a single highway. The major players in that section of
Queens, as determined by both history and traffic patterns, are the
Triboro Bridge, the Grand Central Parkway, and the Brooklyn-Queens
Expressway. Signage should reflect that reality.

David J. Greenberger

Feb 11, 2002, 12:30:52 AM2/11/02
"Christopher Blaney" <cbl...@twcny.rr.com> writes:

AFAIK, NYSDOT normally only posts lettered exit numbers when multiple
ramps diverge from the mainline. (To be sure, there are exceptions --
and NYSDOT practice isn't even relevant, as both the GWB and the TME are
maintained by the Port Authority.) Here, only one ramp diverges from
the mainline (on each level), so only one exit number should be posted.

David J. Greenberger

Feb 11, 2002, 12:30:51 AM2/11/02
"Daniel Dey" <dtd1...@earthlink.net> writes:

> While they're at it, they really should re-number the exits on the Bronx
> River Parkway north of Exit 10. What's with those no-number exits between
> there and Cross County Parkway?

Three parkways in Westchester are county-maintained: the Central
Westchester Parkway, the Playland Parkway, and the Bronx River Parkway.
That explains the unusual signage on the BRP in Westchester.

Currently, the BRP - Sprain Brook Parkway - Taconic State Parkway
corridor is treated as a single parkway, while the south stub of the TSP
and the north stub of the BRP form a loop for local traffic. I'm not
sure how I feel about doing away with the historical names, but how
about calling this entire corridor the Taconic State Parkway? The SBP
name would be retired and the remaining bit of TSP - BRP would assume
the BRP name entirely -- most of the signage already (inaccurately)
reflects this. Then exit numbers would be assigned, starting with the
existing exits 1-10 in the Bronx and continuing up to the Thruway (I-90,
that is, not I-287 or I-84), although I'm not sure how I'd assign exit
numbers once the grade intersections begin.

Mike Tantillo

Feb 11, 2002, 11:14:32 AM2/11/02

David J. Greenberger wrote in message ...

Ignore them since most of them will be closed anyway.....at least those in
Dutchess County....which leave only 11 left....

Pete from Boston

Feb 11, 2002, 5:02:52 PM2/11/02
"Mike Tantillo" <mj...@duke.edu> wrote in message news:<a48rep$rvk$1...@news.duke.edu>...

> David J. Greenberger wrote in message ...
> >Then exit numbers would be assigned, starting with the
> >existing exits 1-10 in the Bronx and continuing up to the Thruway (I-90,
> >that is, not I-287 or I-84), although I'm not sure how I'd assign exit
> >numbers once the grade intersections begin.
>
> Ignore them since most of them will be closed anyway.....at least those in
> Dutchess County....which leave only 11 left....

Aren't they already closed? I don't recall at-grade intersections
there in November, but it was a long drive and I could be mistaken.

David J. Greenberger

Feb 11, 2002, 5:07:34 PM2/11/02
"Mike Tantillo" <mj...@duke.edu> writes:

> David J. Greenberger wrote in message ...

> >Currently, the BRP - Sprain Brook Parkway - Taconic State Parkway
> >corridor is treated as a single parkway, while the south stub of the TSP
> >and the north stub of the BRP form a loop for local traffic. I'm not
> >sure how I feel about doing away with the historical names, but how
> >about calling this entire corridor the Taconic State Parkway? The SBP
> >name would be retired and the remaining bit of TSP - BRP would assume
> >the BRP name entirely -- most of the signage already (inaccurately)
> >reflects this. Then exit numbers would be assigned, starting with the
> >existing exits 1-10 in the Bronx and continuing up to the Thruway (I-90,
> >that is, not I-287 or I-84), although I'm not sure how I'd assign exit
> >numbers once the grade intersections begin.
>
> Ignore them since most of them will be closed anyway.....at least those in
> Dutchess County....which leave only 11 left....

I thought only the median crossings in Dutchess County were being
closed. Right turns are still permitted onto and off of the highway,
no? So they're akin to one-sided interchanges, only without the usual
amenities such as ramps and acceleration lanes.

Mike Tantillo

Feb 11, 2002, 10:03:51 PM2/11/02

The medians are closed now....I was under the impression that the streets
would be closed as soon as Dutchess County DPW got around to dead-ending all
the streets, etc.

David J. Greenberger

Feb 12, 2002, 2:52:30 PM2/12/02
"Mike Tantillo" <mj...@duke.edu> writes:

> David J. Greenberger wrote in message ...

> >I thought only the median crossings in Dutchess County were being
> >closed. Right turns are still permitted onto and off of the highway,
> >no? So they're akin to one-sided interchanges, only without the usual
> >amenities such as ramps and acceleration lanes.
>
> The medians are closed now....I was under the impression that the streets
> would be closed as soon as Dutchess County DPW got around to dead-ending all
> the streets, etc.

That's not the impression I got here. The hazards were caused by
traffic crossing the highway, not turning right onto it. Dead-ending
the streets would appear to cause a major inconvenience (for some) for
no good reason.

Daniel Dey

Feb 19, 2002, 5:58:04 AM2/19/02

"Mike Tantillo" <mj...@duke.edu> wrote in message

Aren't any streets going to cross over or under the parkway without access?

Daniel Timothy Dey

Mike Tantillo

Feb 19, 2002, 1:44:09 PM2/19/02

Daniel Dey wrote in message
<0dqc8.31$ZC3....@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...

Some will, but not for a few years. For now they are just closed.