MD-PA Multiplex Updates: Trk US 40 Baltimore, Conowingo, Lancaster

Timothy Reichard

Jan 31, 2003, 12:47:41 AM1/31/03
This update includes new coverage of 15 multiplexes in Baltimore,
Conowingo and along the US 222 corridor in Maryland and Lancaster
County/"Amish Country", PA. This update exhausts Baltimore's
multiplexes, visits truncated US 222 and its successor MD 222 and truck
route, includes Pennsylvania's only duplicated duplex US 222/PA 272, and
takes a look at some MD-style signing and routing quirks in Lancaster.

http://www.m-plex.com/roads/updates.html#updates

Baltimore has one bona fide yet unsigned duplex (MD 129/MD 140) along
the old US 140 in the NW quadrant of the city. Additionally, there is
Truck US 40 in Baltimore, which is thought to have been decommissioned a
few decades ago. It turns out that the designation still exists on old
and new BGSs at its ends at US 40 and in the middle at I-83. Truck US
40 is not signed on any reassurance signs along its length, but is
signed on not-too-old non-standard little green signs at each turn along
its path. Truck US 40 follows, from east to west: MD 151/Erdman Ave, US
1/Bel Air Road, US 1/North Avenue, North Avenue, and the Hilton Parkway,
thus making Baltimore's only other two multiplexes. Additionally, there
is I-83/I-695 on the Beltway north of the city.

Next up (probably): Signing transitions in the State College, PA area
from October, a month before the US 220 relocation, completion of the
new expressway, and birth of Alt US 220 in November. That relocation
extended US 220/US 322, shortened I-80/US 220, created US 220/PA 26, and
changed some US 220 duplexes to Alt US 220/PA 144, Alt US 220/PA 150,
and I-80/Alt US 220. The following update will probably be another
visit to southeast PA via multiplexes, and then tons of New York
multiplexes from all over that state.

Tim Reichard
http://www.m-plex.com/roads/mpindex.html

John Cereghin

Jan 31, 2003, 10:03:42 AM1/31/03
You've pressed my hot button now! I never have understood what the
harm was in having US 222 end at US 40 in Perryville. After all, it
crosses a major interstate (I-95) and a major US highway and provides
the direct link all the way to the Chesapeake and a growing Perryville
area. This mindless cannibalism of US routes must end! :)

Timothy Reichard

Feb 2, 2003, 11:37:48 PM2/2/03
John Cereghin wrote:
> You've pressed my hot button now! I never have understood what the
> harm was in having US 222 end at US 40 in Perryville. After all, it
> crosses a major interstate (I-95) and a major US highway and provides
> the direct link all the way to the Chesapeake and a growing Perryville
> area. This mindless cannibalism of US routes must end! :)

I couldn't find anything on the web that told why US 222 was shortened.
It once went as far south as MD 7 (former US 40). If anyone knows why
US 222 was shortened to US 1, do tell!

Tim Reichard
http://www.m-plex.com/roads/

Brian Polidoro

Feb 3, 2003, 10:46:00 AM2/3/03

"Timothy Reichard" <webmasterREMOV...@m-plex.com> wrote in message news:3E3DF21C...@m-plex.com...

Well consulting Maryland Roads.com you would find:

"What remains of US 222 in Maryland is in fact its original length when the US system was formed in 1926. It was by 1940 extended
down to Perryville and US 40 where it remained until 1995, when the southern end was rolled back to US 1. The removed section is now
signed as MD 222, including the concurrent section of US 1. There is also a Truck MD 222 (part of which was MD 338 and 269) offering
a better grade down to I-95 and US 40 and avoiding the low railroad bridge in Port Deposit."

The last sentence pretty much tells the story (bad grade and low bridge). But I don't know why US 222 wasn't rerouted along truck
222. Unless your a local, your probably heading south on US 222 to get to I-95. Although if I was traveling that way I would cross
the Susquehanna river on US 1 and then head to I-95 and avoid the toll.

More than a year ago I took a different route from NJ to Maryland. I got off I-95 south and headed west on US 322. Then took US 1
south. I crossed the Susquehanna on US 1 and then took MD 136 to MD 543 to I-95. And that's how I would reroute US 222 to end at
I-95 or maybe to US 40.

Also you may say what's the difference between the decommissioned segment being signed MD 222 or US 222. The biggest thing I can
find is that the stretch of MD 222 is not part of the national highway system. And it probably was part of the NHS as US 222.

--
Brian Polidoro
Index of My Road Related Sites - http://mahn0.tripod.com

John Cereghin

Feb 3, 2003, 1:42:22 PM2/3/03
Taking US 222 through Port Deposit and then up the huge hill near the
old Bainbridge Naval Training Center complex was an experience to be
sure (not to mention through the swamps between Conowingo and Port
Deposit), but I don't think that would be a good reason to truncate US
222 at Conowingo. If that was a problem, maybe it would make more
sense to re-route US 222 along MD 275 and MD 276 to Rising Sun, then
back along US 1 to Conowingo.

And with all the increase in travel traffic at the Perryville Travel
Plaza and Outlet Center at I-95, you think that would be good
justification to keep the US 222 designation as far as US 40.

And did US 222 make it all the way to MD 7? I lived in Perryville
from 1976-1978 and I can't remember and US 222 markers between US 40
and MD 7.

Brian Polidoro

Feb 3, 2003, 5:35:23 PM2/3/03

One reason to think US 222 did make it to MD 7 is that present day MD 222 does reach MD 7.

But by looking at it by order of events it would seem to be the other way.

Pre-1935 - US 222 ended at US 1, US 40 was on present day MD 7.

1935 - US 40 moves to new Pulaski Highway.

1940* - US 222 is extended - So US 40 was already on its current alignment. So why would it go past US 40 to MD 7.

*note - MDRoads.com says US 222 was extended BY 1940 so it actually could have happened before 1940. And if it did happen before
1935 then it would make sense that US 222 would reach MD 7 because it was US 40.

Even an old map may not solve the dilemma because that small stretch of road could easily be unlabeled.

Also I'm wondering what state route was current MD 222 before it became US 222 around 1940. MDRoads has no indication of it..

--
Brian Polidoro
Index of My Road Related Sites - http://mahn0.tripod.com

SPUI

Feb 3, 2003, 5:42:55 PM2/3/03
Brian Polidoro wrote:
> One reason to think US 222 did make it to MD 7 is that present day MD 222
> does reach MD 7.
>
> But by looking at it by order of events it would seem to be the other way.
>
> Pre-1935 - US 222 ended at US 1, US 40 was on present day MD 7.
>
> 1935 - US 40 moves to new Pulaski Highway.
>
> 1940* - US 222 is extended - So US 40 was already on its current
alignment.
> So why would it go past US 40 to MD 7.
>
> *note - MDRoads.com says US 222 was extended BY 1940 so it actually could
> have happened before 1940. And if it did happen before 1935 then it would
> make sense that US 222 would reach MD 7 because it was US 40.
>
> Even an old map may not solve the dilemma because that small stretch of
road
> could easily be unlabeled.
>
> Also I'm wondering what state route was current MD 222 before it became US
> 222 around 1940. MDRoads has no indication of it..

http://www.mdroads.com/routes/md.html shows US 222 existing in 1933, when
the state highways were first numbered.
http://www.us-highways.com/us2.htm makes no mention of the extension.

--
Dan Moraseski - 15th grade at MIT
http://web.mit.edu/spui/www/ - FL NJ MA route logs and exit lists

Timothy Reichard

Feb 3, 2003, 7:13:31 PM2/3/03
Brian Polidoro wrote:
> One reason to think US 222 did make it to MD 7 is that present day MD 222 does reach MD 7.

I have a 1938 Shell map that shows US 222 reaching US 40, and US 40 is
going straight through Perryville, not to the north. This is why I
thought US 222 once went as far south as current MD 7.

I had read MDRoads' US 222 entry, but I didn't take the reason for a
truck route and the reason for truncation to necessarily be the same.
They reasons might be the same, which is what I was hoping to find out.

> But by looking at it by order of events it would seem to be the other way.
>
> Pre-1935 - US 222 ended at US 1, US 40 was on present day MD 7.
>
> 1935 - US 40 moves to new Pulaski Highway.
>
> 1940* - US 222 is extended - So US 40 was already on its current alignment. So why would it go past US 40 to MD 7.
>
> *note - MDRoads.com says US 222 was extended BY 1940 so it actually could have happened before 1940. And if it did happen before
> 1935 then it would make sense that US 222 would reach MD 7 because it was US 40.
>
> Even an old map may not solve the dilemma because that small stretch of road could easily be unlabeled.
>
> Also I'm wondering what state route was current MD 222 before it became US 222 around 1940. MDRoads has no indication of it..

Tim Reichard
http://www.m-plex.com/roads/

Brian Polidoro

Feb 4, 2003, 9:53:58 AM2/4/03

"Timothy Reichard" wrote...

| Brian Polidoro wrote:
| > One reason to think US 222 did make it to MD 7 is that present day MD 222 does reach MD 7.
|
| I have a 1938 Shell map that shows US 222 reaching US 40, and US 40 is
| going straight through Perryville, not to the north. This is why I
| thought US 222 once went as far south as current MD 7.
|
| I had read MDRoads' US 222 entry, but I didn't take the reason for a
| truck route and the reason for truncation to necessarily be the same.
| They reasons might be the same, which is what I was hoping to find out.
|

| Tim Reichard
| http://www.m-plex.com/roads/

The US 40 routing makes sense because I found that the current US 40 Hatem bridge didn't open until 1940. The old bridge was used
for scrap metal in WWII.

But are there any stretches of the Pulaski highway present in 1938? MDRoads quoted 1935 for the Pulaski highway. I guess that
means the first stretch opened in 1935. I would guess that the sections built would be closest to Baltimore. With possibly the
Hatem bridge being one of the last parts of the Pulaski highway to be completed.

http://www.ce.jhu.edu/mdcive/hatem.htm

Also I looked at a 1976 PA map and see that the red line for US 222 ends at the Pulaski highway US 40. It continues as a black line
to MD 7. So the black part could have been an unsigned state route at that time. Or an unsigned US 222A. Or even it could still
have been part of US 222 but not part of the NHS. Which would be the reason for the change in color.

Timothy Reichard

Feb 4, 2003, 10:53:21 PM2/4/03
> The US 40 routing makes sense because I found that the current US 40 Hatem bridge didn't open until 1940. The old bridge was used
> for scrap metal in WWII.

Thanks for digging up the link (below).

> But are there any stretches of the Pulaski highway present in 1938? MDRoads quoted 1935 for the Pulaski highway. I guess that
> means the first stretch opened in 1935. I would guess that the sections built would be closest to Baltimore. With possibly the
> Hatem bridge being one of the last parts of the Pulaski highway to be completed.

Another look at this 1938 map reveals that the Pulaski highway was
complete only west of Aberdeen, with no trace to the east. Near
Perryville, US 40 goes west across a Susquehanna River bridge and
straight into Havre de Grace, not to the north as US 40 does today. So
your theory appears to be correct.

> http://www.ce.jhu.edu/mdcive/hatem.htm
>
> Also I looked at a 1976 PA map and see that the red line for US 222 ends at the Pulaski highway US 40. It continues as a black line
> to MD 7. So the black part could have been an unsigned state route at that time. Or an unsigned US 222A. Or even it could still
> have been part of US 222 but not part of the NHS. Which would be the reason for the change in color.

MD 7 itself may add to the list of possibilities. MD 7 ends exactly
where MD 222 ends today. The segment of MD 7 in Havre De Grace is
routed off old US 40 to end at current US 40, so the case may have been
the same on the other side of the Susquehanna in Perryville after the
old river bridge was removed. US 222 or a US 222 segment or no number
also seem feasible.

Tim Reichard
http://www.m-plex.com/roads/

Brian Polidoro

Feb 5, 2003, 2:13:32 PM2/5/03

"Timothy Reichard" wrote ...
| "Brian Polidoro" wrote ...

| > Also I looked at a 1976 PA map and see that the red line for US 222 ends at the Pulaski highway US 40. It continues as a black
line
| > to MD 7. So the black part could have been an unsigned state route at that time. Or an unsigned US 222A. Or even it could
still
| > have been part of US 222 but not part of the NHS. Which would be the reason for the change in color.
|
| MD 7 itself may add to the list of possibilities. MD 7 ends exactly
| where MD 222 ends today. The segment of MD 7 in Havre De Grace is
| routed off old US 40 to end at current US 40, so the case may have been
| the same on the other side of the Susquehanna in Perryville after the
| old river bridge was removed. US 222 or a US 222 segment or no number
| also seem feasible.

Not to nitpick but the MD 7 designation ends about half of a mile further south than it's intersection with MD 222. See Cecil
county HLR under MD 7b. But the state maintenance does end at MD 222.

The PA 1976 map doesn't seem to make sense. It shows the MD 7 in Perryville connecting with US 40 on both ends. Heading south west
from US 40 it makes a right turn in the middle of Perryville and meets US 40 near the bridge on a road west of 222. But 222 is the
first intersection with US 40 east of the bridge. The only other road that crosses US 40 west of 222 is Frenchtown Road. But I'm
fairly sure that that road goes under the Hatem Bridge near the riverbank.

I think a Cecil county roadtrip is in order for this spring.

--
Brian Polidoro
Index of My Road Related Sites - http://mahn0.tripod.com

PS - watchout with you cutting the attribution line. I added the ' "Brian Polidoro" wrote ...' above that others would like to see.
Or else the well formed message Gestapo might come after you. Did you see how they jumped all over Larry Gross? First it was for
posting in HTML then they kept on him about other stuff like poor wrapping. They got someone else for cutting the attribution line.
:)

Brian Polidoro

Feb 6, 2003, 10:03:40 AM2/6/03

"Brian Polidoro" <seemyw...@mahn0.tripod.com> wrote in message news:3e41...@post.newsfeed.com...

| "Timothy Reichard" wrote ...
| | "Brian Polidoro" wrote ...
| | > Also I looked at a 1976 PA map and see that the red line for US 222 ends at the Pulaski highway US 40. It continues as a
black line
| | > to MD 7. So the black part could have been an unsigned state route at that time. Or an unsigned US 222A. Or even it could
still
| | > have been part of US 222 but not part of the NHS. Which would be the reason for the change in color.
| |
| | MD 7 itself may add to the list of possibilities. MD 7 ends exactly
| | where MD 222 ends today. The segment of MD 7 in Havre De Grace is
| | routed off old US 40 to end at current US 40, so the case may have been
| | the same on the other side of the Susquehanna in Perryville after the
| | old river bridge was removed. US 222 or a US 222 segment or no number
| | also seem feasible.
| |
| Not to nitpick but the MD 7 designation ends about half of a mile further south than it's intersection with MD 222. See Cecil
| county HLR under MD 7b. But the state maintenance does end at MD 222.
|
| The PA 1976 map doesn't seem to make sense. It shows the MD 7 in Perryville connecting with US 40 on both ends. Heading south
west
| from US 40 it makes a right turn in the middle of Perryville and meets US 40 near the bridge on a road west of 222. But 222 is
the
| first intersection with US 40 east of the bridge. The only other road that crosses US 40 west of 222 is Frenchtown Road. But I'm
| fairly sure that that road goes under the Hatem Bridge near the riverbank.

Ok scratch that. I was working from memory on that one. And while there is a red line, it's thinner so I think it's actually the
rail line.