RIP: Trans-Texas Corridor

Bill

Jan 6, 2009, 12:30:22 PM1/6/09

JG

Jan 6, 2009, 6:39:46 PM1/6/09
On Jan 6, 11:30 am, "Bill" <you.go...@be.kidding> wrote:
> "Trans Texas Corridor is dead, TxDOT says"
>
> http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/010...
>
> - B

"Each of the dozens of projects that were linked together under the
rubric of the TTC – including the Loop 9 project in Dallas and the
I-69 project in the south – will remain as stand-alone projects, he
said. "

I think the "trade corridor" to Mexican ports will be implemented by
railroads instead. CN bought a major suburban Chicago
rail line and has upgrade plans and a big Memphis hub...JG

Scott M. Kozel

Jan 6, 2009, 8:36:21 PM1/6/09
"Bill" <you....@be.kidding> wrote:

> "Trans Texas Corridor is dead, TxDOT says"
>
> http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/010609dnmetttc.43c00ac6.html

SMK: Well, not exactly .... as certain individual routes will be
advanced, but on a smaller right-of-way (600 feet wide instead of 1,200
feet wide, still plenty wide).

http://enr.construction.com/infrastructure/transportation/2009/0106-TxDOTCutsProject.asp
"TxDOT Cuts The Trans Fat From Texas Corridor Project"
_ENR_ - 01/06/2009
Excerpts:

'The Texas Department of Transportation today announced that it has
effectively pulled the plug on its ambitious and widely publicized
Trans-Texas Corridor, a comprehensive transportation plan introduced by
TxDOT and Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) in 2002. What was once envisioned
as 4,000 miles of existing and new highways, railways and utility
rights-of-way now will be attempted in smaller segments.'

'Portions of two TTC projects are under development: I-69/TTC, which
extends from Texarkana/Shreveport to Mexico -- possibly the Rio Grande
Valley or Laredo -- and TTC-35, which generally parallels I-35 from
north of Dallas/Fort Worth to Mexico.'

'The TTC segments will be referred to by their original name, such as I-69.'

'The new plan, Saenz says, will continue to pursue projects but will no
longer be called the Trans-Texas Corridor. Major corridor projects will
be comprised of several small segments no wider than 600 ft, as opposed
to the original plan of 1,200-ft-wide corridors.'

See the URL for the rest of the article.

--
Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites
Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C. http://www.roadstothefuture.com

Rick Powell

Jan 6, 2009, 9:49:57 PM1/6/09
On Jan 6, 5:39 pm, JG <jgrov...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I think the "trade corridor" to Mexican ports will be implemented by
> railroads instead. CN bought a major suburban Chicago
> rail line and has upgrade plans and a big Memphis hub...JG

My brothers's employing RR (KCS) stands to pick up a lot of business
from the CN deal. They connect with the CN at multiple points
(including the so-called "Meridian Speedway") and have access to
Texas, Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi ports and they also own some
trackage into Mexico. Of course, the CN also has access to ports in
Mobile and NOla. Of course, one of the primary factors in CN's
purchase is the ability to more easily transport goods from the Far
East from its Prince Rupert BC port to Wal-Marts and others in the
southeastern US.

Although I will say when I-69 is completed, it will carry a good share
of NAFTA bridge traffic. There is a lot ofd activity in AR, MS and IN
on the corridor right now, and I have friends who are working on the
engineering for the IN leg.

Pete Jenior

Jan 17, 2009, 10:08:37 PM1/17/09
"Scott M. Kozel" <koz...@comcast.net> wrote in message
As I've always suspected, only a few pieces will get built and they will be
scaled down...
Pete