Segment of US 311 freeway near High Point, NC now also Future I-74

Bob Malme

Dec 14, 2008, 7:57:40 PM12/14/08
Took a trip through Greensboro to Winston-Salem to see the progress on
replacing signs and/or exit numbers along old/new I-40 and the existing
stretch of US 311 freeway. For US 311, all of the new signage, with the
exception of the last exit at I-40 is up. The surprise was that they had
also put up the new route signage which contained both a North or South
US 311 shield but also a Future I-74 shield from US 311 Business (Exit
65) to I-40 (Exit 55). The shield is not like those put up near Ellerbe
but are similar to the ones put up along Future 295 near Fayetteville
with no text above the number. I have posted photos of the new signs and
shields on my I-74 Segment 5 page: http://www.duke.edu/~rmalme/i74seg5.html

I also put up additional photos of the existing signage with new exit
numbers between Business 311 and Business 85 at the bottom of
the page here: http://www.duke.edu/~rmalme/i74seg6.html

As for I-40, the only progress in the re-signing the old route during
the past 3 weeks were that the exit gore signs west of Business 85 had
been restored to their original I-40 numbers, this includes a number for
the new Loop Exit which is now Exit 212 in both directions (though the
BGSs still have not been changed and still have the old number). They
also have put an I-40 shield along the still labeled Business 40 ramp
going eastbound.

Bob Malme
I-73/74 in NC:
http://www.duke.edu/~rmalme/prog7374.html