Extension of I-79

Cujo6945

Dec 23, 2000, 10:46:21 AM12/23/00
Do you think there could be a possible extension of I-79 southwards from its
current terminus?

Justin Joseph

Cujo6945

Dec 23, 2000, 11:09:31 AM12/23/00
Forgot this. Or an I-79 northwards extension?

Justin Joseph

Michael G. Koerner

Dec 23, 2000, 2:30:08 PM12/23/00
Cujo6945 wrote:

> Forgot this. Or an I-79 northwards extension?

Well, there WAS a fancifull thread a year or two ago about how the
I-routes would potentially be extended if disaster would strike
regarding the 'Quebec issue' in Canada and the rest of the country would
then ultimately join the USA.

In that scenario, I posited that I-79 could be rerouted to I-90 to
Buffalo, then north on I-190 to ON 405, then to Toronto via the QEW,
then northward towards either North Bay (via ON 400/ON 11) or Sudbury
(via ON 400/ON 69/TCH). My preference would be to North Bay.

Existing I-79 north of I-90 would then become an 'odd' 3di.

Unlikely in the forseeable future, but stranger things HAVE happened....

> Justin Joseph

Regards,

Michael G. Koerner
Appleton, WI

***NOTICE*** SPAMfilter in use, please remove ALL 'i's from the return
address to reply. ***NOTICE***

Jeff Kitsko

Dec 23, 2000, 6:47:51 PM12/23/00
>Or an I-79 northwards extension?

There is just a little...er big problem north of that: Lake Erie :-).

The actual highway continues north from PA 5 as the Bayfront Highway, but it is
an at-grade boulevard. However, as has been mentioned in many, many, many,
many....you get the idea....posts about crossing the lake, I proposed the idea
of a hovercraft ferry service between Erie and Ontario.

Jeff Kitsko
Pennsylvania Highways: http://www.pahighways.com/

Jason L. Bennett

Dec 23, 2000, 10:27:26 PM12/23/00
Jeff Kitsko wrote:

> >Or an I-79 northwards extension?
>
> There is just a little...er big problem north of that: Lake Erie :-).
>
> The actual highway continues north from PA 5 as the Bayfront Highway, but it is
> an at-grade boulevard. However, as has been mentioned in many, many, many,
> many....you get the idea....posts about crossing the lake, I proposed the idea
> of a hovercraft ferry service between Erie and Ontario.

I-79 could go to Niagara Falls via I-90 & current I-190.

Jason L. Bennett
STE Exit 27 - Hinsdale, NY
future URE Exit 5 - Oriskany, NY
--
When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire
Department usually uses water.

DAVE4567

Dec 24, 2000, 11:10:30 AM12/24/00
Jeff,

how many miles would it be across Lake Erie at that point? Maybe it could be a
PA Tourist Attraction- Kind of like how Louisianna has Lake Ponchetrain,,, Erie
is ALWAYS looking for a new tourist attraction- I would LOVE to drive across
that bridge in a blowing snowstorm!

Sandor G

Dec 24, 2000, 1:55:40 PM12/24/00
DAVE4567 <dave...@aol.com> wrote in message

Governor James Rhodes of Ohio had a plan/idea of extending several freeways
over Lake Erie in the Sixties. The only plan of those I've seen would of
been an island hopper from either Marblehead or Catawba Island through the
western Lake Erie islands to Pelee Point, Ontario (sort of based of the
Chesapeake Bay Bridge).
BTW, What about extending I-79 from Presque Isle, Pa to Long Point, Ont.?

--
Sandor G
"I'm not from here" - President of the OSU Geography Club

"Rocks are my pillow
The cold ground my bed
Highway is my home" -- Magic Slim

bill...@my-deja.com

Dec 24, 2000, 1:53:22 PM12/24/00

I think it would be about 40 miles, depending on where you want to meet
Ontario. If I did it, I would first create a new I-79, from just south
of exit 39, where it starts to bend. Make a directional Y there, going
Northwest, where it would intersect I-90 between Exits 4 and 5 and
continue around the west of the city of Erie and continue it Northwest
to Ontario. I would probably make a bridge/tunnel to keep the shiping
channels open and to waste even more money.

I would make the old I-79 from Exit 39 to 12th or 6th St. in Erie, I-
179. In Ontario the new bridge/tunnel would enter the Prov. around
Ontario 23. Then it would be up to Ontario to decide where it goes from
there.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

stéphane dumas

Dec 24, 2000, 3:04:24 PM12/24/00
>Governor James Rhodes of Ohio had a plan/idea of extending >several
freeways>over Lake Erie in the Sixties. The only plan of >those I've seen
would of>been an island hopper from either >Marblehead or Catawba Island
through the>western Lake Erie >islands to Pelee Point, Ontario (sort of
based of the >Chesapeake Bay Bridge).

A good idea, that could helped to avoid the Windsor area and if someone
revive the project, I suggest direct connections with OH2 freeway and Ohio
Turnpike(l-80/l-90) and Hwy 401 in Ontario

>BTW, What about extending I-79 from Presque Isle, Pa to Long Point, Ont.?

I idea to have a much direct connection between PA and Ontario, how about
re-routing l-79 east of Erié, cross the Lake Ontario there and possibly meet
the proposed Hwy 6 Freeway in Ontario?

>--
>Sandor G

Stéphane Dumas steph...@videotron.ca

David J. Greenberger

Dec 24, 2000, 3:38:57 PM12/24/00
"Jason L. Bennett" <j...@borg.com> writes:

> I-79 could go to Niagara Falls via I-90 & current I-190.

Functionally I-79 and I-190 are different highways. I doubt they share
most of their clientele. I'm not sure why you keep promoting this
except to clear up an I-x90 (which can be accomplished in other ways,
like renumbering I-390 as I-x86 or, when the time comes, I-99, or
changing I-690 to I-x81).
--
David J. Greenberger
On the Road: http://david.twu.net/roads/

Jeff Kitsko

Dec 24, 2000, 5:06:15 PM12/24/00

Around 40-50 miles give or take. As mentioned in many post earlier, a
bridge-tunnel deal would be very hard to maintain with the extreme weather
conditions over the lake. However, the hovercrafts could cross a lake in any
conditions and go around bad areas of weather with no problems.

Jeff Kitsko

Dec 24, 2000, 5:07:14 PM12/24/00
>I idea to have a much direct connection between PA and Ontario, how about
>re-routing l-79 east of Erié, cross the Lake Ontario there and possibly meet
>the proposed Hwy 6 Freeway in Ontario?

Why route it east of town when it already comes into Erie on the western side?

Scott M. Kozel

Dec 24, 2000, 5:13:10 PM12/24/00
"Sandor G" <bt...@bright.net> wrote:

> Governor James Rhodes of Ohio had a plan/idea of extending several freeways
> over Lake Erie in the Sixties. The only plan of those I've seen would of
> been an island hopper from either Marblehead or Catawba Island through the
> western Lake Erie islands to Pelee Point, Ontario (sort of based of the
> Chesapeake Bay Bridge).

Ohio and Ontario had a plan to build a 47-mile-long Lake Erie bridge. I
saw the study package at the US DOT library about 20 years ago. It
would have basically extended I-271 from Willowick, Ohio, to Port
Stanley, Ontario, and continued as expressway to the Route 401
expressway near London.

It would have had four lanes on a single span, with two different
high-level suspension bridge crossings of shipping channels. The cost
estimate in the 1970s was about $1 billion, and the toll would have been
large. The alignment above would have been the most direct crossing.
Two other alignments were studied; one would have slanted to the east,
and one to the west. The longest was 70 miles long.

Actually a Lake Erie bridge would make a lot on sense. The lake is
about 200 miles long, and the central alignment would not only provide a
direct link from Cleveland to Ontario, but also greatly reduce the
distance from Cleveland to Detroit and from Cleveland to Toronto.
Something like 60 to 75 miles shorter, I did the calculations once.
Also, Cleveland to Detroit would not require going through the Toledo
area, and from Cleveland to Toronto would not require going through the
Buffalo area. The bridge would benefit these big cities.

The bridge would be an international crossing, so some kind of
international compact would have to be created to build and operate the
bridge.

--
Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites
Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C. http://www.roadstothefuture.com

Pat O'Connell

Dec 24, 2000, 6:17:26 PM12/24/00

My experience with Lake Michigan (admittedly not Lake Erie) is that
movement of the ice during winter forms pressure ridges that can jut
up as much as 20 or 30 feet high. This might be a problem for a
hovercraft.

--
Pat O'Connell
Take nothing but pictures, Leave nothing but footprints,

Ron Newman

Dec 25, 2000, 12:27:46 AM12/25/00
In article <3A46750B...@mediaone.net>, "Scott M. Kozel"
<koz...@mediaone.net> wrote:

> Ohio and Ontario had a plan to build a 47-mile-long Lake Erie bridge. I
> saw the study package at the US DOT library about 20 years ago.

Did it include an environmental impact report?

--
Ron Newman rne...@thecia.net
http://www2.thecia.net/users/rnewman/

Jason L. Bennett

Dec 25, 2000, 9:00:37 AM12/25/00
"David J. Greenberger" wrote:

> "Jason L. Bennett" <j...@borg.com> writes:
>
> > I-79 could go to Niagara Falls via I-90 & current I-190.
>
> Functionally I-79 and I-190 are different highways. I doubt they share
> most of their clientele. I'm not sure why you keep promoting this
> except to clear up an I-x90 (which can be accomplished in other ways,
> like renumbering I-390 as I-x86 or, when the time comes, I-99, or
> changing I-690 to I-x81).

All of which are also perfectly good ways to free up needed numbers.
It's just a thought. I know, how many other states have a 3di going
to the border? Just NY last I checked. So that should be preserved.

Jason L. Bennett
STE Exit 27 - Hinsdale, NY
future URE Exit 5 - Oriskany, NY
--

Merry Christmas!

Scott M. Kozel

Dec 25, 2000, 10:22:57 AM12/25/00
rne...@thecia.net (Ron Newman) wrote:

> "Scott M. Kozel" <koz...@mediaone.net> wrote:
>
> > Ohio and Ontario had a plan to build a 47-mile-long Lake Erie bridge. I
> > saw the study package at the US DOT library about 20 years ago.
>
> Did it include an environmental impact report?

I don't recall one. It was compiled about 1970. Since NEPA wasn't
enacted until 1970, the requirement for EISs didn't start until then,
and it was 1972 or 1973 before they actually started appearing.

A1015taco

Dec 26, 2000, 2:19:04 PM12/26/00
Cujo6945 wrote:

>Do you think there could be a possible extension of I-79 southwards from its
>current terminus?

I think there could be a southern extension. First, I-79 would be extended from
its "bend" near Exit 57 southward along US-19 to I-77 near Beckley. The deleted
section could become a I-x77 or I-x79.

From there, it could become a multiplex with I-64/I-77 to US-52 in NC, where it
could pick up the US-52 freeway southward to I-85 in NC.

a101...@aol.com

Adam Prince

Dec 26, 2000, 7:40:07 PM12/26/00

"stéphane dumas" <steph...@videotron.ca> wrote in message

Better yet let's not and say we did

thanks for posting

H.B. Elkins

Dec 27, 2000, 1:54:04 PM12/27/00
cujo...@cs.com (Cujo6945) wrote:

>Do you think there could be a possible extension of I-79 southwards from its
>current terminus?

Not necessary. US 119 (Corridor G) does the job of moving traffic from
southwest of Charleston into Charleston very adequately.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
H.B. Elkins mailto:hbel...@mis.net
http://www.millenniumhwy.net
http://www.users.mis.net/~hbelkins

"Jesus is the reason for the season."
-- unknown

Earnhardt, Waltrip, Kentucky, Anybody but North Carolina
To reply, you gotta do what NASCAR won't -- remove the restrictor plates!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

bill...@my-deja.com

Dec 27, 2000, 3:21:11 PM12/27/00

> >Do you think there could be a possible extension of I-79 southwards
from its
> >current terminus?
>
> Not necessary. US 119 (Corridor G) does the job of moving traffic from
> southwest of Charleston into Charleston very adequately.

Isn't US 119 a 4 lane divided highway all of the way from I-79 to I-
64/I-77? I know this is picky, but how much of US 119 is up to
interstate standards? And what would it take to maybe make it a I-xxx,
say I-279!

Darren Stuart Embry

Dec 27, 2000, 4:38:28 PM12/27/00
Someone wrote:

> > Or an I-79 northwards extension?

to which Jeff Kitsko replied:

> There is just a little...er big problem north of that: Lake Erie :-).

However, there was at one time a proposal to continue I-71 (or I-271).
And yes, over Lake Erie!

From <URL:http://www.kurumi.com/roads/3di/ix71.html>:

A 1970s Ohio/Ontario plan proposed a 47-mile bridge over Lake
Erie, from I-271 in Willowick, Ohio, to Port Stanley, Ontario, and
contining as a freeway to the Route 401 near London.

The single-span bridge would have carried four lanes, with two
different suspension bridge crossings of shipping channels. The

cost estimate in the 1970s was about $1 billion, and the toll

would have been large. The above alignment was the most direct of
three studied; the others slanted to the east and west, the
longest one about 70 miles. [Kozel, Scott]

--
Darren Stuart Embry. He can be condescending in a nice way.
http://www.webonastick.com/

Jeff Kitsko

Dec 27, 2000, 6:03:00 PM12/27/00
>However, there was at one time a proposal to continue I-71 (or I-271).
>And yes, over Lake Erie!

Yeah, I heard about that.

SP Cook

Dec 27, 2000, 9:21:29 PM12/27/00

<bill...@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:92divf$r0q$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

> Isn't US 119 a 4 lane divided highway all of the way from I-79 to I-
> 64/I-77? I know this is picky, but how much of US 119 is up to
> interstate standards?

You are confusing 2 roads. US 19 (Corridor L) breaks off I-79 about 1 hour
north of Charleston. It runs "due" south to I-77/64 at Beckley and get the
out of state traffic (mainly the Orlando bound Toronto-Buffalo-Pittsburgh
trade), 79 turns more west than south for that last 57 miles to Charleston
and has limited national significance. US 19 is far from Interstate
standards, with lots of at grade crossings, stoplight, and a significant
mountain grade.

US 119 (Corridor G) can be thought of as a defacto extension of I-79,
continuing SW from Charleston towards the KY border at Williamson. When
current KY projects are finished it will connect to a network of roads at
Pikeville and be a more significant deal than its current, mostly local,
duty.

SP Cook