Proper way to pronounce "Goethals Bridge"

Michael E. Kotler

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
Anyone know for certain what's the correct way to pronounce "Goethals",
as in the bridge between Staten Island and New Jersey? I've heard four
ways of doing so:

1. <Gethals>, where only the E is pronounced, as in that menace or hero
(depending on your point of view) of the NYC Subway, Bernard Hugo Goetz.

2. <Geethals>, same as above, but with a long E, as in Goetze's Caramel
Creams

3. <Gothals>, short O like in gothic.

4. <Go-thals>, long O pronunciation.

As for Staten Island's other bridges, Bayonne and Outerbridge Crossing
are pretty much unambiguous. For Verrazanno Narrows, however, I have
heard the Z pronounced either as a Z or as a TS, like in pizza.

Peter Rosa

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
GOTH-uls seems to be the most common way.

Bart Lidofsky

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
Michael E. Kotler (mek...@aol.com) wrote:
: Anyone know for certain what's the correct way to pronounce "Goethals",
: 4. <Go-thals>, long O pronunciation.

That's the way the traffic reporters pronounce it.

: As for Staten Island's other bridges, Bayonne and Outerbridge Crossing

: are pretty much unambiguous. For Verrazanno Narrows, however, I have
: heard the Z pronounced either as a Z or as a TS, like in pizza.

I have never heard the ts pronunciation, but a LOT of people in
Brooklyn call it the Verr-en-zanno. As to why, I have no idea.

Bart Lidofsky

James Dunlop

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
>Subject: Re: Proper way to pronounce "Goethals Bridge"
>From: ba...@escape.com (Bart Lidofsky)
>Date: Thu, 14 October 1999 04:34 PM EDT

>Michael E. Kotler (mek...@aol.com) wrote:
>: Anyone know for certain what's the correct way to pronounce "Goethals",
>: 4. <Go-thals>, long O pronunciation.
>
> That's the way the traffic reporters pronounce it.

Really? I always thought it was GOTH-uls (as in 3. <Gothals>, short O like in
gothic.). That's what I've always called it, including the summer I worked
right next to the bridge (Howland Hook Terminal Port, which I understand is
open again, after being closed for years.)

James H. Dunlop, P.E.
Durham, NC

Nathan Perry

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
In article <19991014180004...@ng-fa1.aol.com>, jdu...@aol.com
(James Dunlop) wrote:

How about <göthals> as in Goethe?

N.W.Perry __/ { New York: 1
Rochester, N.Y. ¿___ | Boston: 0
Boston, Mass. \|_=

Nathan Perry

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
In article <o7rN3.1785$y45....@news4.giganews.com>, ba...@escape.com
(Bart Lidofsky) wrote:

> Michael E. Kotler (mek...@aol.com) wrote:
> : Anyone know for certain what's the correct way to pronounce "Goethals",
> : 4. <Go-thals>, long O pronunciation.
>
> That's the way the traffic reporters pronounce it.
>

> : As for Staten Island's other bridges, Bayonne and Outerbridge Crossing
> : are pretty much unambiguous. For Verrazanno Narrows, however, I have
> : heard the Z pronounced either as a Z or as a TS, like in pizza.
>
> I have never heard the ts pronunciation, but a LOT of people in
> Brooklyn call it the Verr-en-zanno. As to why, I have no idea.

Probably the same reason we have Worchester MA, intregal calculus and
nucular power.

N.W.Perry __/ { New York: 1

Rochester, N.Y. 甍__ | Boston: 0
Boston, Mass. \|_=

kurumi

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
"Michael E. Kotler" wrote:

> Anyone know for certain what's the correct way to pronounce "Goethals",
> as in the bridge between Staten Island and New Jersey? I've heard four
> ways of doing so:
>
> 1. <Gethals>, where only the E is pronounced, as in that menace or hero
> (depending on your point of view) of the NYC Subway, Bernard Hugo Goetz.
>
> 2. <Geethals>, same as above, but with a long E, as in Goetze's Caramel
> Creams
>
> 3. <Gothals>, short O like in gothic.
>
> 4. <Go-thals>, long O pronunciation.

I would have guessed a fifth way, like "Goethe."

--
kurumi http://www.kurumi.co.de/deutsch/not_a_real_url.html

db

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99

"Michael E. Kotler" wrote:

> Anyone know for certain what's the correct way to pronounce "Goethals",
> as in the bridge between Staten Island and New Jersey? I've heard four
> ways of doing so:

> snip........

> 4. <Go-thals>, long O pronunciation.

I grew up about a mile from the bridge and most people I heard pronounced
it Go - thals, with the accent on the Go. (there were a few odd Goths as
you might expect.) But people on SI talk funny, and remember that the
Goethals is pretty close to Manners Harbor (thats Mariners Harbor to you
off Islanders) and when I was a kid we used to listen to record alblums -
(thats LP's not Joe Blums brother). So I have no idear of how George W.
Goethals pronouced his name himself.

plai...@mindspring.com

Mike McManus

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
Nathan Perry wrote:

> In article <19991014180004...@ng-fa1.aol.com>,
> jdu...@aol.com (James Dunlop) wrote:
>
> > [In article <o7rN3.1785$y45....@news4.giganews.com>,
> > ba...@escape.com (Bart Lidofsky) wrote:]

> > >Michael E. Kotler (mek...@aol.com) wrote:
> > >: Anyone know for certain what's the correct way to pronounce
> > >: "Goethals",
> > >: 4. <Go-thals>, long O pronunciation.
> > > That's the way the traffic reporters pronounce it.
> > Really? I always thought it was GOTH-uls (as in 3. <Gothals>,
> > short O like in gothic.). That's what I've always called it,

> > including the summer I worked right next to the bridge (Howland
> > Hook Terminal Port, which I understand is open again, after being
> > closed for years.)
>
> How about <göthals> as in Goethe?

Which, if my German pronunciation is even close to correct, would be
pronounced "ger-thuls" (hard g, as in "Gertrude").
--
Mike McManus, Rochester, NY (mmcm...@frontiernet.net)
"... come on, as head of state, head of government, head of military

Ralph Herman

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99

Peter Rosa <prosa123...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message

> GOTH-uls seems to be the most common way.

I second that.

Ralph

David J. Greenberger

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
On Thu, 14 Oct 1999 22:37:45, nwp...@student.berklee.edu (Nathan Perry)
wrote:

> Probably the same reason we have Worchester MA, intregal calculus and
> nucular power.

My mother used to know someone who worked for a company that manufactured
diginal watches.
--
David J. Greenberger
Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com * The Internet's Discussion Network *
* The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free! *

David J. Greenberger

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
On Thu, 14 Oct 1999 18:24:57, Michael E. Kotler <mek...@aol.com> wrote:

> 3. <Gothals>, short O like in gothic.

This is the one I've heard most frequently. Whether Mr. or Ms. Goethals
would have pronounced the name like that I do not know.

> As for Staten Island's other bridges, Bayonne and Outerbridge Crossing
> are pretty much unambiguous.

Actually, it took me a while to figure out how to pronounce Bayonne
(bay-own, bay-un, ...). And, of course, we should all know that the
Outerbridge Crossing should, by rights, be the Outerbridge Bridge.

> For Verrazanno Narrows, however, I have
> heard the Z pronounced either as a Z or as a TS, like in pizza.

I'm not an Italian speaker, but my impression is that single-z is
pronounced like the English z; double-z is pronounced as in pizza.

I'm sure we've all heard of the Frog's Neck Bridge. (And I routinely
refer to the Honnald Tunnel but I suspect I'm the only one.)

GeneJYao

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
grenbrgr wrote:

>My mother used to know someone who >worked for a company that manufactured
>diginal watches.

Yes, but do you have a "drawring" of those watches? Preferably one that's not
too "vunerable". Then we can go "fohward" with this discussion on how people
mis-"pronunce" things.

Nathan Perry

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
In article <19991015013410...@ng-fv1.aol.com>,
gene...@aol.com (GeneJYao) wrote:

That's "mispronunciate", a word that we should not be expected to
pronounce correctly anyway. Just as we shouldn't have to spell "misspell"
correctly.

N.W.Perry __/ { New York: 2

Nathan Perry

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
In article
<2gLd0VHzLOdZ-p...@ip244.urbana2.il.pub-ip.psi.net>,

gren...@uiuc.edu (David J. Greenberger) wrote:

> > For Verrazanno Narrows, however, I have
> > heard the Z pronounced either as a Z or as a TS, like in pizza.
>
> I'm not an Italian speaker, but my impression is that single-z is
> pronounced like the English z; double-z is pronounced as in pizza.

It's more like ts for z, and tz for zz. Double consonants in Italian are
kind of like school zones (obroads)...you just slow down a little as you
pass through them. This causes the ts to gain a little bit of the voiced
quality.

George Kowal

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99

"David J. Greenberger" wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Oct 1999 18:24:57, Michael E. Kotler <mek...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > 3. <Gothals>, short O like in gothic.
>
> This is the one I've heard most frequently. Whether Mr. or Ms. Goethals
> would have pronounced the name like that I do not know.

This is my vote too, took the "Gothals" almost twice daily for about five years
when I worked at the Staten Island Teleport.
Back then, us "locals" would only have to pay half the $4 toll, that is $2 round
trip if we bought toll tickets in advance as a 20 round trip book.

> > As for Staten Island's other bridges, Bayonne and Outerbridge Crossing
> > are pretty much unambiguous.
>

> > For Verrazanno Narrows, however, I have
> > heard the Z pronounced either as a Z or as a TS, like in pizza.

Everybody around here calls it the "Guinea Gangplank".

JCS319

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
Michael E. Kotler wrote:

>Anyone know for certain what's the correct way to pronounce "Goethals",

>as in the bridge between Staten Island and New Jersey? I've heard four
>ways of doing so:

>4. <Go-thals>, long O pronunciation.

That's how I learned it growing up in upstate NY. BTW, is that the bridge I
take to get to the pawamus mall to pick up goils? (favorite pastime of my
roomate in college).

JCS
"I went from Phoenix, Arizona all the way to Tacoma..."

larr...@attglobal.net

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
Seems like youns all should go to the libery and check the section near the
chimley to see how to pernounce things. Ladies, don't forget your pockabooks.

L:arry

Frank Curcio

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99

I have heard GOTH-uls but GO-thals is the most common pronouciation I've reard
over the years which does not mean it is the linguistically correct
pronounciation. Remember, we're talking about the NY Metro area - dere are
dese peepol who sez youse guyz tawk funny, jist ax 'em.

I do know that New Jersey has a large German-American community and I recall no
complaints about the common pronounciation of Goethals as happened with the
Polish community and the common " pronounciation" (read - slaughter) of NYC's
Kosciuszko Bridge (on the BQE).

Regards,
Frank

Frank Curcio

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
duh [image of palm slapping forehead]

After reading and posting to this thread, I did something really out of the
ordinary,

I looked it up.

The World Book gives the pronounciation as GO thulz (Goering is given as GUH
ring and Goethe is given as GER tuh)

Regards,
Frank

Peter Rosa

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
[I do know that New Jersey has a large German-American community and I

recall no complaints about the common pronounciation of Goethals as
happened with the Polish community and the common " pronounciation"
(read - slaughter) of NYC's Kosciuszko Bridge (on the BQE).]

It's not hard to imagine why the Polish community complained about the
mispronunciation of the Kosciuszko Bridge - the bridge is, literally,
above a large segment of the Polish neighborhood. Presumably that's
why it was so named back in the 1930s.

--
Peter Rosa
pros...@yahoo.com

David J. Greenberger

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
On Fri, 15 Oct 1999 15:53:53, franc...@aol.com (Frank Curcio) wrote:

> I have heard GOTH-uls but GO-thals is the most common pronouciation I've reard
> over the years which does not mean it is the linguistically correct
> pronounciation. Remember, we're talking about the NY Metro area - dere are
> dese peepol who sez youse guyz tawk funny, jist ax 'em.

Supposedly Mayor Van Wyck pronounced the 'y' in his name as 'eye' -- but
all New Yorkers call the highway the Van Wick. I've even seen it spelled
that way on a map.

Ever taken the subway to Hoyt-Schermerhorn? (invariably skeemerhorn)

Incidentally, linguists tend to be interested in the way language is used
by real people, not in the way it's "supposed" to be used -- so the
linguistically correct pronunciation would be the pronunciation that
people actually use. It may not be the pronunciation the holder of the
name used, but he's probably dead by now.

--
David J. Greenberger
Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com * The Internet's Discussion Network *
* The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free! *

Bradley Torr

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99

Frank Curcio <franc...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19991015115353...@ngol08.aol.com>...

> I do know that New Jersey has a large German-American community and I
recall no
> complaints about the common pronounciation of Goethals as happened with
the
> Polish community and the common " pronounciation" (read - slaughter) of
NYC's
> Kosciuszko Bridge (on the BQE).

How is it pronounced? The highest mountain in Australia is Mount
Kosciuszko, at some 7300 feet above sea level. I have climed it once; there
is a road which leads from Charlottes Pass (a ski resort) to the very top
of the mountain; if it was open to cars it would be quite trafficable in
the summer - it's a wide gravel track. But alas, the National Parks &
Wildlife Service of NSW won't let you do that any more... where's the
consideration for roadgeeks in this world! Imagine, DRIVING to the highest
point on a continent! So you have to walk or ride a bike now....

In any case, I digress..... it's pronounced Mount KOZZ-ee-OSS-koe..... how
is the bridge in NYC pronounced? And what's the proper Polish
pronunciation?

Another thing about Mt. Kosciuszko..... up until 1997 it was spelt Mt.
Kosciusko.... the Polish explorer who was the first white man to climb it
(Strzelecki) actually misspelt it in the first place..... but due to the
forces of historical accuracy and political correctness, the "Z" has now
been restored to its rightful place. :-) The national park it is in was
called Kosciusko National Park too.... every single sign, brochure,
document, etc. had to change. Bummer. All over the last letter of the
alphabet and a Polish bloke who couldn't spell.

Regards,
Bradley.
Who is one of the majority of Australians who just refers to it as "Kozzie"
anyway.

Bradley Torr

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99

I know it's bad netiquette to reply to oneself, but I forgot to mention....
along the 5 mile road from Charlottes Pass to the summit of Mt. Kosciuszko,
there are original MILESTONES in place, with Roman numerals! With distances
referenced to Jindabyne, a town in a valley nestled beneath the Snowy
Mountains (about 20 or so miles away IIRC). How could I forget! :-)

Regards,
Bradley.

Nathan Perry

Oct 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/17/99
In article <380A1E49...@no-aztec-spam.asu.edu>, Michael Torla
<mich...@no-aztec-spam.asu.edu> wrote:

> Who do you know / meet that pronounces an "h" in Worcester? If they pronounce
> the R they obviously need to be beaten and removed to someplace west of the
> Hudson.

People who read the name for the first time on a map.

Charles A. Lieberman

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99
16 Oct 1999 21:47:00 -0500
Jeff Zeitlin

> For Verrazanno Narrows, however, I have
> >heard the Z pronounced either as a Z or as a TS, like in pizza.
>
> I've never heard the TS variant on this - not saying that it
> doesn't exist, just that I've never heard it.

/ts/ is correct. /z/ is right.

--
Charles A. Lieberman | "Surely some revelation is at hand"
Brooklyn, New York, USA | --William Butler Yeats

Michael Hamm

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99
Sneck.

Ralph Herman (rhe...@primenet.com) wrote, in part:
> > GOTH-uls seems to be the most common way.<snip>
> I second that.

Fwiw, I pronounce it that way too. In case anyone's keeping track.

Michael Hamm
BA, Math, Aug. '00
msh...@nyu.edu
http://www.crosswinds.net/~msh210/