3 Digit Interstates and Phoenix Freeways

RCMoeur

Apr 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/17/97

Note: This was originally an e-mail message, but I thought
I'd share it with the group. Apologies to Mr. Oglesby if
this is offensive.

Long ago, Scott Oglesby (scott....@lmco.com) wrote:

>Hi Richard.
>
>I have a few questions about Arizona highways that maybe you can answer.
>
>There were three interstates reportedly proposed a while ago: I-408 and
>I-510 in Phoenix, and I-710 in Tucson. I've only seen one mention of
>each (from email). Do you have any more info on these? I'm most
>interested in the proposed route, and when they were cancelled.

In all the archives I have access to, there is no mention whatsoever
of I-408, or any 3 digit Interstate which would run either from
Gila Bend to Buckeye or Phoenix, or from Gila Bend to Casa Grande.

I also have seen no information indicating I-8 would run to Phoenix
instead of Casa Grande/I-10.

The original (1956) route of I-10 was to connect with I-17 at the
Durango Curve (where I-17 takes a 90 deg turn just southwest of
downtown Phoenix). This was later rerouted - see more information
below.

I-510 was intended to run north from I-10 (now I-17) into east central
Phoenix (now the route of I-10 and SR 51). In the early 1960s, a stub
of I-510 was built to Buckeye Rd - about 1/2 mile long. Apparently
for a short while, this was signed I-510, but then was changed to
Buckeye Road/Airport. I have seen a photo of an I-510 guide sign, but
my earliest memories of this route circa 1968 do not include I-510
signs (and I'm sure I'd remember that! ;)

A number of Interstate freeway corridors in Tucson were studied in the
early 1960s. One of them may have been designated I-710, but I haven't
seen anything confirming this information.

>A Tucson map shows a proposed AZ 210 going east-southeast along Aviation
>Highway and the railroad tracks. Is this in the works?

Very much so, and most of this highway is now open.

>Last one: some of the new Phoenix freeways (101, 51, etc.). seem naturals
>for interstate designation but they've all been given state route
>numbers. (I'd vote for I-217, because I-17 doesn't have any spurs.) Was
>interstate funding/authorization unavailable or did ADOT want to go on
>its own?

A short history of the Phoenix freeway system could take days to describe.
Here's the highlights:

1960: the Wilbur Smith study recommends a number of freeways for Phoenix,
including a beltway (much closer in than 101/202, but further out than the
current I-10/I-17 "Inner Loop".
1960-64: I-17 is constructed through north Phoenix.
1960s: The I-10 corridor is recommended to be realigned from the Durango
alignment to the current Moreland alignment, to create the "Inner Loop".
1965-1969: I-10 is constructed from I-17 (24th St) through southeast
Phoenix and Tempe toward Tucson.
1971: The landmark Johannsen and Girand study for the I-10 Papago Inner
Loop is released. This report recommends a 100 foot tall viaduct for
I-10 as it crosses central Phoenix, with helical ramps climbing up
from ground level. (I own one of the last remaining complete sets of
this report - truly a collectors item)
Other studies call for freeways from central Phoenix through Papago
Park into Scottsdale, and a cross-town freeway (the Paradise Freeway).
I-10 opens from US 60 to Tonopah.
1973: Public backlash from the Papago Freeway designs, fanned by
the publisher of the local newspaper, kills all new freeway construction
in Phoenix.
1975: After an exhaustive EIS process and public vote, the I-10
Papago Inner Loop is resurrected, this time with a depressed
alignment, and a tunnel as it crosses the central business district.
All other plans for Interstate freeways in the Phoenix area die a
quiet death due to citizen opposition.
I-10 opens from Tonopah to Buckeye (Oglesby Rd).
1979: I-10 opens from Buckeye to the outskirts of Phoenix (Dysart Rd).
1980-1987: I-10 is constructed from Dysart Rd to I-17 through west
Phoenix.
1985: Phoenix has the fewest miles of freeway per capita of any
major city in the US. A plan from ADOT and civic leaders calls for
a half cent sales tax for 20 years to fund construction of a network
of freeways throughout the metropolitan Phoenix area. This network
still bears a strong resemblance to the recommended 1960 freeway
system. The voters approve the sales tax, and construction begins
in 1986.
Since these freeways were state-funded, they were not bound to follow
the Federal-Aid environmental process which killed so many earlier
freeways.
1986-1990: The I-10 Inner Loop, including 3 freeway to freeway
interchanges and a half mile long tunnel with a park on top,
is constructed through central Phoenix.
1990 (August 10, 9 AM): I-10 is completed coast to coast when the
Deck Tunnel is opened.
1986-present: The loop freeways are constructed in and around Phoenix.
A downturn in the economy (and sales tax revenue) slowed construction
for a few years, but work is now proceeding well.

>Thanks for your attention, and for putting up a fun site.
>Scott Oglesby

Richard C. Moeur, P.E., N7WTB, E.C.I., whatever...
Practicing Traffic Engineer (I'll get it right someday...)
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
"Life is just one W1-5 after another, until the W14-1"
The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of
the Arizona Department of Transportation. Really.
Now Open!: http://members.aol.com/rcmoeur
:9