Interstate 73/74 in use now in NC!

Michael King

May 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/5/97

From _Triad Business News_ at http://www.hpe.com/hpe/tbn/I73745197.html

I'm not going to include the entire article, but suffice it to say that
according to the article, I-73/74 is signed in parts of North Carolina
(some with a "FUTURE" designation above the sign, some without)...

"...The stretches of the two interstates going through the Piedmont Triad
are in various stages of completion. Some have not been built at all, while
other sections just need guardrail upgrades and shoulder widenings.

All work should be completed around 2005. But many sections will meet
interstate standards sooner. A connector route from Interstate 77 to U.S.
52 (I-74) to bypass Mount Airy, now under construction, is scheduled to be
completed next year. And a two-lane stretch in Rockingham County being
widened to four lanes will be done around 1999. Other sections will be done
in 2002...."

"...So as not to have immediate prospects complain about false advertising,
most of the economic developers have added "proposed" or "future" beside
the interstate shields on their industrial site maps. And most of the signs
that you'll see as you drive these roads also include small disclaimer
signs reading "Future."

The best places to spot these signs are along the U.S. 220 corridor south
of Greensboro, which read either Interstate 73 or Interstate 73/74...."

"...The exception is a stretch along U.S. 220 near Seagrove in Randolph
County, which has been allowed to carry the shield, sans the "future"
designation, because it has been built to interstate specifications. The
only glitch? You can't drive the "interstate" part of the highway to any
other state..."

"..."Our reaction is `It's here,'" Sprouse said. "This is something a lot
of people in the Triad don't understand. When they opened up that new
section in southern Randolph County, it was not designated as U.S. 220. It
is I-73/74."..."

--
Michael King - Atlanta, GA
"Noah, how long can you tread water?"

Frisc...@msn.com

May 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/6/97

I'm just wondering, but do you know why I-73 and I-74 are to be dually
signed on this stretch of road? I had understood that they would both
end in Charleston (SC). If this is so, then why do we need for both of
them to go there, wouldn't one suffice? Or is I-74 going to end
somewhere else (such as Myrtle Beach or Wilmington)?

Michael King

May 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/6/97

Frisc...@msn.com wrote:

> I'm just wondering, but do you know why I-73 and I-74 are to be dually
> signed on this stretch of road? I had understood that they would both
> end in Charleston (SC). If this is so, then why do we need for both of
> them to go there, wouldn't one suffice? Or is I-74 going to end
> somewhere else (such as Myrtle Beach or Wilmington)?

They are both due to end in Charleston, but they will separate from each
other in southern NC, and enter Charleston from two different
directions...

Alleryyk

May 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/9/97

I believe that near Lumberton NC, I-74 is going to head east towards
Wilmington, Breaking off from I-73, then head southeast towards US 17 and
Charleston. I believe that I-73 will continue in a more southerly
route-both ending in Charleston.

Todd Sale-Richmond VA