Simple routing question: I-80/380 to Brooklyn

David J. Greenberger

Apr 4, 2004, 1:12:54 PM4/4/04
What's the best (quickest/most reliable) route from the I-80/380
junction in Pennsylvania to Brooklyn (preferably via the Verrazano),
and about how much time should I allocate?

I would have assumed I-80 to PA 33 to I-78 to I-287 to NJ/NY 440 to
I-278, but freetrip.com recommends I-80 to I-287 to NJ 24 to I-78 to
US 1&9 to NJ 439 to I-278, claiming it takes under 2 hours.

I will be making this trip on Wednesday, April 14, and I need to be in
Brooklyn before noon.

Thanks.
--
David J. Greenberger
New York, NY

Steve

Apr 4, 2004, 6:01:09 PM4/4/04
David J. Greenberger wrote:

A lot of programs probably don't realize 33 is complete between US 22
and I-78. I like the NJ 24 idea, except you do end up in a bind at I-78
thanks to the uncompleted portion of I-278. Realistically, with traffic
concerns, I think your route probably wins out, but two hours is a safe
assumption.

--
Steve
GO YANKEES!... Knicks? Not Rangers until they FIRE SATHER!

RLDean

Apr 4, 2004, 7:37:36 PM4/4/04
I would use I-80, I-280, NJTP, I-278. To me the NJ 24 I-78 route would be
going a few miles out of your way Going PA 33 to I-78 would add a lot of miles
and time to the trip since you'd be heading south 30 miles first then about 70
miles east.

Rich Dean
Butler NJ

Polkajig

Apr 4, 2004, 8:18:11 PM4/4/04

Dave, take I-80 to PA 33 to I-78 and eventually onto the NJTP Newark Bay
Extension. Take Exit 14A and get onto NJ 440 South. Go across the Bayonne
Bridge and continue on NY 440 South to Exit 10E, I-278->Staten Island
Expressway East. Continue east across the Verrazano Bridge and into Brooklyn.
Good luck and also, when will you ever put new pictures on your website and why
can't I access your old photos on your website? Thanks.

Greg Pniewski
Bernardsville, NJ

Mike Tantillo

Apr 4, 2004, 10:15:18 PM4/4/04
dav...@email.com (David J. Greenberger) wrote in message news:<878yhb7...@greenberger.no-ip.com>...

A friend's dad has always sworn by I-80 east to I-280 east to I-95
south to I-278 east.....

David J. Greenberger

Apr 4, 2004, 9:35:53 PM4/4/04
polk...@aol.com (Polkajig) writes:

> Dave, take I-80 to PA 33 to I-78 and eventually onto the NJTP Newark Bay
> Extension. Take Exit 14A and get onto NJ 440 South. Go across the Bayonne
> Bridge and continue on NY 440 South to Exit 10E, I-278->Staten Island
> Expressway East. Continue east across the Verrazano Bridge and into Brooklyn.

Of course! The Bayonne Bridge! How could I forget?

Does NJ 440 have any reasonably priced gas stations? If not, what's a
good place to hop off I-78 for gas?

> Good luck and also, when will you ever put new pictures on your website and why
> can't I access your old photos on your website? Thanks.

For a few reasons, my roadgeeking activity has waned over the past few
months. My free time has grown limited, as I've gone from unemployed
to overemployed. Even though I live in Manhattan, my car never left
Brooklyn between early November and this past Thursday, and I only
drove home then because I'm going upstate tomorrow. And my interest
in transportation infrastructure has shifted towards subways.

If you're referring to the photos that were posted at plover.net,
they're still there, but a server reconfiguration has rendered them
somewhat inaccessible. Ultimately I do plan to move everything to a
new server, but I don't know when that will be happening. New road
photos are largely inexistent, since most of my driving has been the
mile and change between work and the subway. For now, I'd be glad to
try to dig out old photos by request, but that's the best I can do.

Thanks for asking.

Here's one road-related photo I took two weeks ago from a nonstandard
vantage point:
http://greenberger.no-ip.com/040321/IMG_4310.JPG

And here's an even more nonstandard vantage point of the vehicle I
rode:
http://greenberger.no-ip.com/040321/IMG_4301.JPG

George Kowal

Apr 5, 2004, 11:46:52 PM4/5/04

If by Staten Island, then I would swear by I-80 East to I-287 South to
NJ-24, then merging into I-78, then off at the Newark Airport exit,
which loops you closer South onto US 1&9, closer than taking the 1&9
exits. Stay on US 1&9 South until I-278 merges by the refinery entrance,
South of Elizabeth. There's a traffic light with que lanes in the middle
of 1&9. When the light changes, you're allowed and expected to turn left
onto US 1&9 North, and then the beginning of I-278 is a few hundred feet
up the road. There are quite a few low priced gas stations along US 1&9
South of EWR, Newark Airport. The other advantage is you remain
politically correct and avoid the NJ Turnpike, as we all know that's for
out-of-state tourists. Also you avoid the construction and toll booth
jams on the Pike. I-287 South between I-80 and NJ-24 is a short piece
and the entrance to 24 is now 2 lanes wide. I-278 into the Goethals
Bridge is usually wide open and very direct.

Seriously, I drove that route 10 times a week for about 5 years, years
ago, and it was the best.

If by Manhattan then I would do 80 to 280 to the Jersey City exit 17B,
then straight into the Holland and across one of the lower East River
Bridges like the Willy, Manhattan or Brooklyn. There is reconstruction
at the CR-508/NJ-7/US1&9 junction.

You don't pay a toll going Eastbound over the "Ginny" so the tolls are
similar either way. I'd probably expect a little less traffic in SI vs
the Holland & Manhattan at that time of day.

George K.

Mitsguy2001

Apr 5, 2004, 11:55:42 PM4/5/04
>You don't pay a toll going Eastbound over the "Ginny"

What is the "Ginny"? I've never heard that nickname used for any bridge in the
area.

George Kowal

Apr 7, 2004, 3:29:10 AM4/7/04

Well I could've spelled it the "Guinea" Gangplank, but that is and has
historically been the official unofficial name for the Verrazano Bridge
since before the days that Columbus sailed down Route 22.

GK

Polkajig

Apr 7, 2004, 10:38:52 PM4/7/04
>> Dave, take I-80 to PA 33 to I-78 and eventually onto the NJTP Newark Bay
>> Extension. Take Exit 14A and get onto NJ 440 South. Go across the Bayonne
>> Bridge and continue on NY 440 South to Exit 10E, I-278->Staten Island
>> Expressway East. Continue east across the Verrazano Bridge and into
>Brooklyn.
>
>Of course! The Bayonne Bridge! How could I forget?
>
>Does NJ 440 have any reasonably priced gas stations? If not, what's a
>good place to hop off I-78 for gas?

Well, there is a Citgo gas station you can drive to just after you leave the
turnpike on your way to get onto 440. To get there, you still follow the signs
for 440, but then, there are signs to go straight to the gas station. There is
also an EXxon about a mile south of the Bayonne Bridge on 440 South. If you do
not want to use those stations, which I have not yet, there are plenty off I-78
from PA to about the Route 24 junction. If you want to, you can tell me where
you want to get gas. Gas stations are advertised off from Exit 3 to Exit 40,
but there are others that are easy to get off and onto that are not mentioned
currently on the highway.

>> Good luck and also, when will you ever put new pictures on your website and
>why
>> can't I access your old photos on your website? Thanks.
>
>For a few reasons, my roadgeeking activity has waned over the past few
>months. My free time has grown limited, as I've gone from unemployed
>to overemployed. Even though I live in Manhattan, my car never left
>Brooklyn between early November and this past Thursday, and I only
>drove home then because I'm going upstate tomorrow. And my interest
>in transportation infrastructure has shifted towards subways.

Thanks, that is so good to know. Hope you get a job soon. I had to live with
my father being unemployed for about a year, so my family and I know how it is
to go through that. He has been unemployed two other times in his life besides
the last time. Again, thanks and I hope you get a job asap.

>David J. Greenberger
>New York, NY

Greg Pniewski
Bernardsville, NJ

David J. Greenberger

Apr 10, 2004, 9:45:19 PM4/10/04
polk...@aol.com (Polkajig) writes:

> Thanks, that is so good to know. Hope you get a job soon. I had to
> live with my father being unemployed for about a year, so my family
> and I know how it is to go through that. He has been unemployed two
> other times in his life besides the last time. Again, thanks and I
> hope you get a job asap.

I think you misread my post -- I was unemployed last year, but now I'm
*over*employed, so I can't find the time to bring my website back to
life.

But good luck to your father, and thanks for the advice. (That goes
to everyone. I expected to get lots of responses, but I'm probably be
going to be using the one route I didn't think of, the one Greg
suggested.)

Totally unrelated question, but since I may not be posting again for a
while -- anybody know why the reference markers on the I-81/NY 17
overlap in the Binghamton area have "81" rather than "81I" on their
top lines?

Polkajig

Apr 10, 2004, 10:47:37 PM4/10/04
>I think you misread my post -- I was unemployed last year, but now I'm
>*over*employed, so I can't find the time to bring my website back to
>life.
>
>But good luck to your father, and thanks for the advice. (That goes
>to everyone. I expected to get lots of responses, but I'm probably be
>going to be using the one route I didn't think of, the one Greg
>suggested.)
>
>Totally unrelated question, but since I may not be posting again for a
>while -- anybody know why the reference markers on the I-81/NY 17
>overlap in the Binghamton area have "81" rather than "81I" on their
>top lines?
>--
>David J. Greenberger
>New York, NY

Oh, ok. By the way, he has been working for over a year and a half.

Greg Pniewski
Bernardsville, NJ