Dayton is now control city!

Perfect Vision Graphics

Mar 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/23/98

That's right, the AASHTO granted control city status to Dayton on I-70
between Columbus & Indianapolis.

For the whole story, visit my new I-70/I-75 web page at:

http://www.perfect.com/i70i75/

There's going to be more goodies there in the near future.

H.B. Elkins

Mar 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/25/98

p...@infinet.com (Perfect Vision Graphics) wrote:

>That's right, the AASHTO granted control city status to Dayton on I-70
>between Columbus & Indianapolis.
>
>For the whole story, visit my new I-70/I-75 web page at:
>
>http://www.perfect.com/i70i75/

Will Indiana be changing its signs on I-70?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
H.B. Elkins -- Winchester, KY
"You must have the courage to believe the truth!" -- Rush H. Limbaugh III
Kentucky Wildcats Basketball & #3 Dale Earnhardt -- A Championship Combination

mailto:hbel...@mis.net <or> mailto:HB...@aol.com
(Say "nyet" to spam! Please note: there is a spam-buster in my E-mail address.
To reply by E-mail,use one of the addresses above)
http://www.users.mis.net/~hbelkins (last updated 3/21/98)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hairline

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

Since I've been old enough to drive, I've wondered why Dayton was excluded
from I-70 control-city status. The Cox Airport is north of I-70 and Dayton has
a 3-di (although I-675 wasn't added to the system until later.) I guess AASHTO
decided that Dayton has finally grown northward enough to merit control-city
status.
But, the designation is moot unless Ohio or Indiana put Dayton on the signs.
As for Ohio, first the state has to redo school funding. If voters don't
approve the sales tax in May, the state still has to find the money somewhere!
I doubt funds will become available to put Dayton on signs this century.
What I find interesting is that Springfield is already used as a
control-city on some signs. (Rome-Hilliard Rd and US 42 to I-70W.) How did
Springfield become a control city before Dayton?
Dayton is used on one sign along I-70, just before I-270. The sign informs
motorists to continue on I-70 if they wish to reach Dayton. I guess there were
some motorists who thought the I-270N/Cleveland or I-270S/Cincinnati exits
would somehow get them to Dayton instead of going straight on I-70E ;)
------------------------------------------------------For e-mail response,
address to "hairsline." It's @yahoo.com.

Michael Kotler

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

On 26 Mar 1998 07:44:51 GMT, hair...@aol.com (Hairline) wrote:

> Since I've been old enough to drive, I've wondered why Dayton was excluded
>from I-70 control-city status.

One thing that was really annoying was that when you got on the
Airport Access road, south from US 40, the sign says "To I-70:
Columbus, Indianapolis" Excuse me, but this is the _Dayton_
International Airport -- is that some place located somewhere between
Columbus and Indy? Rumor has it that some people saw that sign and
thought they got off the plane in the wrong city. (Since then, they
put these small, nonstandard green signs on some of the lampposts in
the median that read "Dayton" with an arrow.")

> But, the designation is moot unless Ohio or Indiana put Dayton on the signs.

I always found it interesting how around Indianapolis, the signs said
"Columbus O." Perhaps there's another Columbus that people might
mistake it for (sort of how further east on I-70 the signs say
Washington, PA as opposed to Washington, DC.)

> What I find interesting is that Springfield is already used as a
>control-city on some signs. (Rome-Hilliard Rd and US 42 to I-70W.) How did
>Springfield become a control city before Dayton?

Up until not too long ago, the only sign on I-75 south leading to the
70/75 split said "Springfield, Richmond" (Indiana). That sign might
date back to before I-70 went much further than those cities.
Richmond is still used as a control point for some mileage signs.

As for Springfield being a control city first, perhaps it's because
I-70 really does enter the city limit proper. Even though I-70 goes
well into Montgomery County and many Dayton suburbs, the Federal rules
must have said that if it didn't go into the actual city, it can't be
used as a control point. I'm just surprised there wasn't at least one
of those "list" signs, e.g. "Dayton Exits:"

> Dayton is used on one sign along I-70, just before I-270. The sign informs
>motorists to continue on I-70 if they wish to reach Dayton.

And just past I-270, there's a lone mileage sign pointing to Dayton
and Indianapolis. I recall that those went up shortly after some
earlier complaints to that same effect.
Michael E. Kotler
mek...@flynns.com
[clear spamfilter before replying]
The return address is really "erols.com". (Er[r]ol Flynn, get it? ;) )
I've had to get creative to foil the spammers.

Mike McManus

Mar 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/27/98

Michael Kotler wrote:

> On 26 Mar 1998 07:44:51 GMT, hair...@aol.com (Hairline) wrote:
>
> > But, the designation is moot unless Ohio or Indiana put > Dayton on the signs.
>
> I always found it interesting how around Indianapolis, the signs said "Columbus
> O." Perhaps there's another Columbus that people might mistake it for (sort of
> how further east on I-70 the signs say Washington, PA as opposed to Washington,
> DC.)

Yes, there is a Columbus, IN. To get there from Indy, you would take I-65 south
(IIRC). It's noted for its practice of awarding the privilege of designing its major
buildings (including an indoor mall, various churches and schools, the bank, the
post office, and the Cummins Engine factory) to various world-renowned architects.

--
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/ Mike McManus _/ home: mmcm...@frontiernet.net _/

Perfect Vision Graphics

Mar 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/28/98

Michael Kotler (mek...@flynns.com) wrote:

: As for Springfield being a control city first, perhaps it's because

: I-70 really does enter the city limit proper. Even though I-70 goes
: well into Montgomery County and many Dayton suburbs, the Federal rules
: must have said that if it didn't go into the actual city, it can't be
: used as a control point. I'm just surprised there wasn't at least one
: of those "list" signs, e.g. "Dayton Exits:"

There is a Dayton exits sign between 49N and 49S coming from
Indianapolis. It lists 49S, 48, and 75. (and uses the shield markers
instead of spelling out I-75).

H.B. Elkins

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

mek...@flynns.com (Michael Kotler) wrote:

>> But, the designation is moot unless Ohio or Indiana put Dayton on the signs.
>I always found it interesting how around Indianapolis, the signs said
>"Columbus O." Perhaps there's another Columbus that people might
>mistake it for (sort of how further east on I-70 the signs say
>Washington, PA as opposed to Washington, DC.)

Columbus, Ind., south of Indy on I-65. I don't have an Indiana map
handy, but isn't Columbus about halfway between Indy and Louisville?

Ron Newman

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

In article <351be715...@news.erols.com>, mek...@flynns.com (Michael
Kotler) wrote:

> I always found it interesting how around Indianapolis, the signs said
> "Columbus O." Perhaps there's another Columbus that people might
> mistake it for (sort of how further east on I-70 the signs say
> Washington, PA as opposed to Washington, DC.)

Yes! If you're leaving Indianapolis it's VERY important to know if
you are going towards Columbus, INDIANA (south on I-65 or US 31),
or towards Columbus, OHIO (east on I-70 or US 40).

--
Ron Newman rne...@thecia.net
http://www2.thecia.net/users/rnewman/

Aaron M. Renn

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

> But, the designation is moot unless Ohio or Indiana put Dayton on the
signs.

That's true. It is easy to see why Indiana might be less than enamoured of
this change. It would cost them money, and it is resulting in the
Indianapolis name disappearing from many signs in Ohio. (I actually fired
off a message to INDOT pointing this out and advocating that they ignore the
change).

Aaron.
http://www.urbanophile.com/arenn/

Aaron M. Renn

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

H.B. Elkins wrote in message <351fbefc...@news.newsguy.com>...

>Columbus, Ind., south of Indy on I-65. I don't have an Indiana map
>handy, but isn't Columbus about halfway between Indy and Louisville?

Columbus is closer to Indy. It is probably about 35-40 miles south of the
city. It's a small manufacturing town of about 33,000 people. There are a
lot of towns like that in Indiana, but Columbus is a bit different. Two
traditional Fortune 500 companies - Cummins Engine and Arvin Industries -
are headquartered there. They were particularly generous to their hometown,
commissioning world famous architects to design many public buildings.
While the town's boast to be the "Athens of the midwest" is a bit overblown,
the town is still a cut above most other Indiana towns architecturally.

INDOT actually showed some sensitivity to this architectural heritage during
the reconstruction of the main I-65 interchange serving Columubs (SR 46).
It was reconstructed as an urban single point interchange. In order to
provide clearance for the ramps to converge under the interstate, two steel
arches where leaned against each other and the bridge deck was cantilevered
off of them. It is an interesting visual effect, and the arches are already
starting to become a local landmark of sorts.

Aaron.
http://www.urbanophile.com/arenn/

Hairline

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

Michael E. Kotler wrote:
<<< I always found it interesting how around Indianapolis, the signs said
"Columbus O." Perhaps there's another Columbus that people might mistake it
for (sort of how further east on I-70 the signs say Washington, PA as opposed
to Washington, DC.) >>>

The other "Columbus" that INDOT thinks motorists in Indianapolis might mistake
for "Columbus O." is located southeast of Indianapolis along Interstate 74.
Even though Columbus IN isn't big enough to be a MSA, Indiana appartenly
thought motorists would confuse the two.

As a side note, a few years ago a UN conference was held in Columbus (as in the
largest city in Ohio). Some international visitors had to transfer at Atlanta's
Hartfield Airport before reaching Columbus (the largest "Columbus" in the
world). Confusion set in and Hartfield Airport personnel directed several
passengers onto planes bound for Columbus GA, instead of Columbus OH. The
mistake was not caught until the passengers reached Columbus GA and asked where
the UN conference was.