AAroads copyright violation?

J.P. Kirby

Jun 15, 2003, 4:47:02 PM6/15/03
For the past few months, I've been updating/adding articles at Wikipedia
(http://www.wikipedia.org), a free open-source online encyclopedia. I came
across an article on Interstate 95 at
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_95, and noticed that the text is
exactly the same as it is on the aaroads.com Interstate Guide.

Did Alex or Andy give whoever wrote this permission to use it, or is it
another copyright violation?

JPK
--
J.P. Kirby, Captain of all Obvious!
v5...@unb.ca jpk...@hotmail.com

Scott M. Kozel

Jun 15, 2003, 4:58:38 PM6/15/03
"J.P. Kirby" <jpk...@nbnet.nb.ac> wrote:

> For the past few months, I've been updating/adding articles at Wikipedia
> (http://www.wikipedia.org), a free open-source online encyclopedia. I came
> across an article on Interstate 95 at
> http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_95, and noticed that the text is
> exactly the same as it is on the aaroads.com Interstate Guide.
>
> Did Alex or Andy give whoever wrote this permission to use it, or is it
> another copyright violation?

I'm wondering how much of their research came from highway private
websites.

Notice the esoterica of there being an I-595 in Baltimore -

Spur Routes
[...]
Baltimore, Maryland - I-195, I-395, I-595, I-695, I-795, I-895

--
Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites
Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C. http://www.roadstothefuture.com

Presnwap

Jun 15, 2003, 5:48:30 PM6/15/03
I don't care if someone uses my stuff. It's all good in the name of roads.
It's not like there is money involved.

-stephen
--
http://www.angelfire.com/super2/gantrification
I-49 South, Lafayette to New Orleans

"J.P. Kirby" <jpk...@nbnet.nb.ac> wrote in message

Sherman L. Cahal

Jun 15, 2003, 9:12:35 PM6/15/03
"J.P. Kirby" <jpk...@nbnet.nb.ac> wrote in message
> For the past few months, I've been updating/adding articles at Wikipedia
> (http://www.wikipedia.org), a free open-source online encyclopedia. I came
> across an article on Interstate 95 at
> http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_95, and noticed that the text is
> exactly the same as it is on the aaroads.com Interstate Guide.
>
> Did Alex or Andy give whoever wrote this permission to use it, or is it
> another copyright violation?
>
> JPK

Too bad anything you add is instantly banned from the "editors" who are
nothing but bullshitters. I submitted information, added copyright
information with links to my site, and lo-and-behold, they ban that article
on copyright infrigment. I explained my situation and they said, "Sorry, you
are not the original author."

Andy Field

Jun 16, 2003, 1:25:03 AM6/16/03
Hi all,

No, I have not been approached by anyone from Wikipedia.org to use any
AARoads material. I may have to send them an email to find out more
information on their page's sources.

Regards,
Andy

Gregory Pietsch

Jun 16, 2003, 11:02:21 AM6/16/03

"J.P. Kirby" <jpk...@nbnet.nb.ac> wrote in message

If you think it's a copyright violation, just rewrite it so that you think
it isn't.

Gregory Pietsch

Kurumi

Jun 16, 2003, 11:45:18 AM6/16/03
In article <3EECDDFB...@attbi.com>, "Scott M. Kozel"
<koz...@attbi.com> wrote:

> "J.P. Kirby" <jpk...@nbnet.nb.ac> wrote:
> >
> > For the past few months, I've been updating/adding articles at
> > Wikipedia
> > (http://www.wikipedia.org), a free open-source online encyclopedia. I
> > came
> > across an article on Interstate 95 at
> > http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_95, and noticed that the text
> > is
> > exactly the same as it is on the aaroads.com Interstate Guide.
> >
> > Did Alex or Andy give whoever wrote this permission to use it, or is it
> > another copyright violation?
>
> I'm wondering how much of their research came from highway private
> websites.

100%?

Compare http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_91 and
http://www.ihoz.com/I91.html for Interstate 91. Wiki has lifted ZZYZX's
page nearly verbatim.

They deleted the "Thanks to" credit on ZZYZX's page, and added "From
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia."

--
Kurumi http://kurumi.com/
3di's, Conn. Roads, maps, interchanges

Barry L. Camp

Jun 16, 2003, 12:32:42 PM6/16/03
Send in the Suits. If one nastygram doesn't do it, go public. VERY public.
Most times, that works, but YMMV.

Hoping for Success,

Barry L. Camp

Jeff Kitsko

Jun 16, 2003, 1:21:21 PM6/16/03
"Barry L. Camp" <blc...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Send in the Suits. If one nastygram doesn't do it, go public. VERY public.
> Most times, that works, but YMMV.

I know a good copyright attorney from the run-in with the "Your Guide to
Route 15" people.

--
Jeff Kitsko
Pennsylvania Highways: http://www.pahighways.com/

Raymond C Martin Jr

Jun 16, 2003, 5:26:23 PM6/16/03
"Jeff Kitsko" <webm...@tollspahighways.com> wrote in message news:<l0nHa.963517$OV.1068358@rwcrnsc54>...

> "Barry L. Camp" <blc...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Send in the Suits. If one nastygram doesn't do it, go public. VERY public.
> > Most times, that works, but YMMV.
>
> I know a good copyright attorney from the run-in with the "Your Guide to
> Route 15" people.

Now that you mention that little thing... How did that go, if I may ask?

====
Raymond C Martin Jr
http://www.njfreeways.com/

Scott M. Kozel

Jun 16, 2003, 5:34:47 PM6/16/03
Kurumi <sa...@xupiter.com> wrote:

> "Scott M. Kozel" <koz...@attbi.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering how much of their research came from highway private
> > websites.
>
> 100%?

Good possibility...

> Compare http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_91 and
> http://www.ihoz.com/I91.html for Interstate 91. Wiki has lifted ZZYZX's
> page nearly verbatim.
>
> They deleted the "Thanks to" credit on ZZYZX's page, and added "From
> Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia."

Much of the "look and feel" of the Wiki site's Interstate data is
similar to that of the ZZYZX site.

Jeff Kitsko

Jun 16, 2003, 6:15:59 PM6/16/03
"Raymond C Martin Jr" <fama...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

They offered $300. However, I am mulling over that and coming up with my
own number.