Same Multiplex, Different Roads

Russell Blau

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
to road...@onelist.com
It seems like we haven't had a good (i.e., obscure, useless, and
trivial) route numbering thread for, oh, at least a week or two, so I
decided to start this one:

US 22 and US 119 are multiplexed with each other for a stretch near
Blairsville, PA. And, as everyone knows ;-), NY 22 and NY 119 are
multiplexed with each other for a couple of blocks in downtown White
Plains, NY. These are, of course, totally unrelated roads, a few
hundred miles apart from each other, which just happen to have the same
pair of numbers.

So, does anyone else know of examples where different routes having
exactly the same numbers are multiplexed in different places? Any
level numbered highway (Interstate, US, state, county) is OK, but the
same pair of roads multiplexed in two different places (like US 6 & 202
in CT, NY) doesn't cut it.

------ http://www.deja.com/ Discussions * Ratings * Communities ------

Mr. Zoom

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
On Thu, 06 May 1999 20:36:24 GMT, Russell Blau posted choice words to
misc.transport.road, let's see if they are worth reading....

> So, does anyone else know of examples where different routes having
> exactly the same numbers are multiplexed in different places? Any
> level numbered highway (Interstate, US, state, county) is OK, but the
> same pair of roads multiplexed in two different places (like US 6 & 202
> in CT, NY) doesn't cut it.

I-70 and US-40 are multiplexed for a large part of I-70's route.
I-40 and US-70 are multiplexed for a short bit in NC.

That was probably the easiest one. :)

mr. zoom
--
===zoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom
Edward "Mr. Zoom" Curtis cur...@labyrinth.net

Jason Hancock

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
On Thu, 6 May 1999, Russell Blau wrote:

> So, does anyone else know of examples where different routes having
> exactly the same numbers are multiplexed in different places? Any
> level numbered highway (Interstate, US, state, county) is OK, but the
> same pair of roads multiplexed in two different places (like US 6 & 202
> in CT, NY) doesn't cut it.

Iowa 5 and 92 are together for 11 miles between a point near Pleasantville
and Knoxville. Illinois 5 and 92 join together in Silvis, and are
together for about four miles until they intersect I-80 (at which point IL
5 becomes I-88).

--Jason
---------------------------------
<http://members.xoom.com/jhancoc>
Home of the Iowa Highways Page & Freeway Junctions of the Heartland
---------------------------------
Spammers win a one-way trip to the TRASH CAN!

David J. Greenberger

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
Do I-44 and I-55 multiplex in the St. Louis area? (I think they
might, over the Poplar Street Bridge.) US 44 and NY 55 multiplex
through much of Ulster County, NY.
--
David J. Greenberger
Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

cbl...@my-dejanews.com

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
In article <MPG.119bf1cce...@news.labyrinth.net>,

cur...@labyrinth.net (Mr. Zoom) wrote:
> I-70 and US-40 are multiplexed for a large part of I-70's route.
> I-40 and US-70 are multiplexed for a short bit in NC.

> That was probably the easiest one. :)
>
> mr. zoom

I'm know I-80 and US-30 multiplex in Wyoming and other states. Do US-80 and I-
30 multiplex in the Dallas-Fort Worth area?

Here's a possible one. If the developing US 78 freeway between Memphis and
Birmingham becomes I-22, then US 78 and I-22 will be multiplexed, and join
this category with I-78 and US-22.

US 1 and US 9 have a famous multiplex in New Jersey. Do Delaware State Routes
1 and 9 have a similar multiplex? (How about Delaware State Route 1 and US
Route 9 in the same state?)

Chris Blaney

Alexander A. Nitzman

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99

> US 1 and US 9 have a famous multiplex in New Jersey. Do Delaware State Routes
> 1 and 9 have a similar multiplex? (How about Delaware State Route 1 and US
> Route 9 in the same state?)
>
> Chris Blaney

Yes, US 9 and DE 1 have a brief multiplex near Lewes, DE. DE 9 however, ends
at DE 1 but does not multiplex with it. Also US 4 and US 7 multplex in VT,
as DE 4 and DE 7 multiplex in Stanton, DE. -- Delaware Highways Page
http://members.xoom.com/alnitz The Roaddog - Route Sign Gallery
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Quarter/9888

Michael G. Koerner

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99

I-44 ends at I-55.

Regards,

Michael G. Koerner
Appleton, WI

***NOTICE*** SPAMfilter in use, please remove ALL 'i's from the return
address to reply. ***NOTICE***

Marc Fannin

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
In article <7gsug8$j0g$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
Russell Blau <russ...@my-dejanews.com> wrote:

> US 22 and US 119 are multiplexed with each other for a stretch near
> Blairsville, PA. And, as everyone knows ;-), NY 22 and NY 119 are
> multiplexed with each other for a couple of blocks in downtown White
> Plains, NY. These are, of course, totally unrelated roads, a few
> hundred miles apart from each other, which just happen to have the same
> pair of numbers.
>

> So, does anyone else know of examples where different routes having
> exactly the same numbers are multiplexed in different places? Any
> level numbered highway (Interstate, US, state, county) is OK, but the
> same pair of roads multiplexed in two different places (like US 6 & 202
> in CT, NY) doesn't cut it.

If you can double-count one of the routes:

US 6 and OH 44 traverse the square in Chardon, Ohio (my stomping ground on
Wednesdays and Saturdays). While it's not the traditional multiplex, the
routes do run concurrent along the square. US 6 multiplexes with US 44
further east in Connecticut.

Also US 24/40 vs. I-24/40, US 24/65 vs. I-24/65, US 40/75 vs. I-40/75, US
87/287 vs. I-87/287. (More of these?)

Actually there is a technicality that comes out of this, stemming from the
fact that the states which do not duplicate route numbers consider any route
number to be a state route number. For example, I-80 and I-90 multiplex in
Ohio, and so do OH 80 and OH 90 (similar situation in Indiana). Two
different sets of multiplexes; one just happens to be right on top of the
other! :) (Yes, I know, these don't count.)

--
Marc Fannin
musx...@kent.edu

Russell L. Goddard, Jr.

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
On Fri, 07 May 1999 01:20:19 -0500, "Michael G. Koerner"
<mgk...@dataex.com> wrote:

>> Do I-44 and I-55 multiplex in the St. Louis area? (I think they
>> might, over the Poplar Street Bridge.) US 44 and NY 55 multiplex
>> through much of Ulster County, NY.

>I-44 ends at I-55.

In St. Louis? I-44 continues on through Missouri to Oklahoma.

Take care,
Russell L. Goddard, Jr. -- rlgo...@yahoo.com

U.S. Highway Route 66 -- The Road of Dreams...

Brandon M. Gorte

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
David J. Greenberger <gren...@uiuc.edu> wrote:
: Do I-44 and I-55 multiplex in the St. Louis area? (I think they
: might, over the Poplar Street Bridge.) US 44 and NY 55 multiplex
: through much of Ulster County, NY.

No, I-55 and I-44 do not multiplex. I-44 ends at I-55 before the Poplar
St Bridge.

Brandon Gorte
Undergrad in Geological Engineering
Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI
<http://www.geo.mtu.edu/~bmgorte/freeway.html>

H.B. Elkins

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
Russell Blau <russ...@my-dejanews.com> wrote:

>So, does anyone else know of examples where different routes having
>exactly the same numbers are multiplexed in different places? Any
>level numbered highway (Interstate, US, state, county) is OK, but the
>same pair of roads multiplexed in two different places (like US 6 & 202
>in CT, NY) doesn't cut it.

US 11 and US 52 multiplex in Wytheville, Va. KY 11 and KY 52 multiplex
in my hometown of Beattyville, Ky. I always had a soft spot in my
heart for Wytheville when I learned this, even before it gained
notoriety for the "wrong way" multiplex of I-77 and I-81.

KY 11 and KY 15 multiplex in Powell County, and I think US 11 and US
15 multiplex in Pennsylvania.

Do US 64 and US 75 multiplex in Tulsa? I-64 and I-75 do in Lexington.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
H.B. Elkins mailto:hbel...@mis.net
http://www.users.mis.net/~hbelkins
"Time after time we lose sight of the way; our causes can't see their effects." -- Neil Peart
Earnhardt, D. Waltrip, Kentucky, Anybody but Gordon, Anybody but North Carolina
Say "nyet" to spam -- remove spambuster "y" in address to reply
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Russell Blau

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
In article <7gtep7$1ee$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
cbl...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> US 1 and US 9 have a famous multiplex in New Jersey. Do Delaware
State Routes
> 1 and 9 have a similar multiplex? (How about Delaware State Route 1
and US
> Route 9 in the same state?)

D'oh! Of course I should have gotten this one myself, since I have
driven on *both* of these multiplexes. US 1-9 in NJ, and DE 1- US 9 in
DE. The Delaware one is very short and as far as I can recall there
are no signs actually posted showing US 9 and DE 1 on the same
sign/signpost, but there is indeed a short overlap.

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- &nbsp;

bigtv...@hotmail.com

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
M-60 and M-66 multiplex for 10 miles or so in, and US 60 and the former US 66
used to multiplex in Oklahoma.
--
Tom Ketchum
Bronson, MI

Exile on Market Street

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99

> In St. Louis? I-44 continues on through Missouri to Oklahoma.

Yes, but I-44 does not continue eastward from its junction with I-55 south
of downtown St. Louis, which it would have to for I-44 to cross the Poplar
Street Bridge, which carries I-55/64/70 and US 40 across the Mississippi
River.

--
Sandy Smith, University Relations / 215.898.1423 / smi...@pobox.upenn.edu
Associate Editor, _Pennsylvania Current_ cur...@pobox.upenn.edu

--------------------Radcliffe College, RIP: 1879-1999--------------------

Russell L. Goddard, Jr.

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
On 7 May 1999 13:47:04 GMT, Brandon M. Gorte <bmg...@mtu.edu> wrote:

>David J. Greenberger <gren...@uiuc.edu> wrote:
>: Do I-44 and I-55 multiplex in the St. Louis area? (I think they
>: might, over the Poplar Street Bridge.) US 44 and NY 55 multiplex
>: through much of Ulster County, NY.
>
>No, I-55 and I-44 do not multiplex. I-44 ends at I-55 before the Poplar
>St Bridge.

D'oh! Yer right... blame it on waking up before the alloted number of
hours I should be sleeping <smack>

Michael G. Koerner

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
"Russell L. Goddard, Jr." wrote:

> On Fri, 07 May 1999 01:20:19 -0500, "Michael G. Koerner"
> <mgk...@dataex.com> wrote:
>
> >> Do I-44 and I-55 multiplex in the St. Louis area? (I think they
> >> might, over the Poplar Street Bridge.) US 44 and NY 55 multiplex
> >> through much of Ulster County, NY.
>
> >I-44 ends at I-55.

> In St. Louis? I-44 continues on through Missouri to Oklahoma.

....and into Texas.

> Take care,
> Russell L. Goddard, Jr. -- rlgo...@yahoo.com
>
> U.S. Highway Route 66 -- The Road of Dreams...

Kyle Levenhagen

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
David J. Greenberger wrote:

> Do I-44 and I-55 multiplex in the St. Louis area? (I think they
> might, over the Poplar Street Bridge.) US 44 and NY 55 multiplex
> through much of Ulster County, NY.

As a soon-to-be new resident of St. Louis (yes, it's now official), I
can tell you that I-44 ends at I-55.

Kyle

Joe Schmidt

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
In article <whwk8ul...@sparc7.cs.uiuc.edu>,

"David J. Greenberger" <gren...@uiuc.edu> wrote:
> Do I-44 and I-55 multiplex in the St. Louis area? (I think they
> might, over the Poplar Street Bridge.) US 44 and NY 55 multiplex
> through much of Ulster County, NY.

I don't understand US 44 in New York. Why does it even go past Poughkeepsie?
The rest of the route to US 209 could just be NY 55.

Or better yet, why not extend it via 209 & NY 52 to NY 17 in Liberty, then
follow NY 17 routing to Binghamton (or beyond)?

Or, alternatively, follow 209 down to 52, then all the way into PA and end at
US 6 at Honesdale? It would be kind of a closure since 6 & 44 basically are
parallel routes for most of CT, RI & MA.

In summary, I just think 44 is a waste in NY, kind of a road to nowhere.

Anyone agree/disagree?

Dyche Anderson

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
Marc Fannin wrote:

> In article <7gsug8$j0g$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> Russell Blau <russ...@my-dejanews.com> wrote:
>
> > US 22 and US 119 are multiplexed with each other for a stretch near
> > Blairsville, PA. And, as everyone knows ;-), NY 22 and NY 119 are
> > multiplexed with each other for a couple of blocks in downtown White
> > Plains, NY. These are, of course, totally unrelated roads, a few
> > hundred miles apart from each other, which just happen to have the same
> > pair of numbers.
> >
> > So, does anyone else know of examples where different routes having
> > exactly the same numbers are multiplexed in different places? Any
> > level numbered highway (Interstate, US, state, county) is OK, but the
> > same pair of roads multiplexed in two different places (like US 6 & 202
> > in CT, NY) doesn't cut it.
>
> If you can double-count one of the routes:
>
> US 6 and OH 44 traverse the square in Chardon, Ohio (my stomping ground on
> Wednesdays and Saturdays). While it's not the traditional multiplex, the
> routes do run concurrent along the square. US 6 multiplexes with US 44
> further east in Connecticut.
>
> Also US 24/40 vs. I-24/40, US 24/65 vs. I-24/65, US 40/75 vs. I-40/75, US
> 87/287 vs. I-87/287. (More of these?)
>
> Actually there is a technicality that comes out of this, stemming from the
> fact that the states which do not duplicate route numbers consider any route
> number to be a state route number. For example, I-80 and I-90 multiplex in
> Ohio, and so do OH 80 and OH 90 (similar situation in Indiana). Two
> different sets of multiplexes; one just happens to be right on top of the
> other! :) (Yes, I know, these don't count.)

Not Indiana. Just look at I-64 and SR-64. Not only do they both exist, they intersect.

Dyche Anderson

Bartron

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99

I-81, US 11
WI-81, WI-11

J. Mearkle

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
So where did this "multiplex" term come from? It sounds like a movie theater.
I've always heard it called an "overlap."
--
J. Mearkle, Civil Engr. I, NYSDOT

Marc Fannin

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
In article <37337DCF...@mediaone.net>, Dyche Anderson
<dy...@mediaone.net> wrote:

> Marc Fannin wrote:
>
> > In article <7gsug8$j0g$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > Russell Blau <russ...@my-dejanews.com> wrote:
> >
> > > So, does anyone else know of examples where different routes
> > > having exactly the same numbers are multiplexed in different
> > > places?
> >

> > [snip]

> > Actually there is a technicality that comes out of this, stemming
> > from the fact that the states which do not duplicate route numbers
> > consider any route number to be a state route number. For example,
> > I-80 and I-90 multiplex in Ohio, and so do OH 80 and OH 90 (similar
> > situation in Indiana). Two different sets of multiplexes; one just
> > happens to be right on top of the other! :) (Yes, I know, these
> > don't count.)
>
> Not Indiana. Just look at I-64 and SR-64. Not only do they both
> exist, they intersect.

My bad. I was thinking about how this is true for U.S. Highways (e.g.
US 31 is Indiana 31), and somehow transferred that to Interstates. I
actually knew about the I-64/SR 64 situation, I just forgot about it.

> Dyche Anderson

Bob Goudreau

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
J. Mearkle (sable...@excite.com) wrote:

: So where did this "multiplex" term come from? It sounds like a

: movie theater. I've always heard it called an "overlap."

I suspect that it derives from the computer-industry background that
many participants in Usenet newsgroups have historically possessed
(though things are much different in the past few years, since the
Internet exploded into mass popularity among the general public).
The term "multiplex" is quite common in communications technology,
and there is an obvious analogy for vehicular traffic -- the data
packets are replaced by motor vehicles and the communications
channels are replaced by numbered highway routes.

Bob Goudreau Data General Corporation
goud...@dg-rtp.dg.com 62 Alexander Drive
+1 919 248 6231 Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA

Steve

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99

Alexander A. Nitzman wrote in message <7gtjo1$5r8$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...

>> US 1 and US 9 have a famous multiplex in New Jersey. Do Delaware State
Routes
>> 1 and 9 have a similar multiplex? (How about Delaware State Route 1 and
US
>> Route 9 in the same state?)
>>
>> Chris Blaney
>
>Yes, US 9 and DE 1 have a brief multiplex near Lewes, DE.

And yet another 1/9 multiplex. In Maine, US1/Maine9 multiplex a few times.

RHarrin505

May 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/11/99
Just found one:
US 87 and US 90 in San Antonio, TX
I-87 and I-90 in Albany, NY
(Technically, I-87 and I-90 ARE Multiplexed for the Exit 24 Toll Booths)

James C. Schul

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
> For example, I-80 and I-90 multiplex in
> Ohio, and so do OH 80 and OH 90 (similar situation in Indiana). Two
> different sets of multiplexes; one just happens to be right on top of the
> other! :) (Yes, I know, these don't count.)

I don't understand, Marc. Since when did Ohio get state highways
numbered 80 and 90? Are these relatively new ones? Or did you mean to
say I-80 and 90 multiplex in Indiana just like they do in Ohio?
+ James C. Schul +
+ JCS...@worldnet.att.net +
+ http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/2153 +
+ Dayton, Ohio, USA +

Mike McManus

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
James C. Schul wrote:

> > For example, I-80 and I-90 multiplex in
> > Ohio, and so do OH 80 and OH 90 (similar situation in Indiana). Two
> > different sets of multiplexes; one just happens to be right on top
> > of the other! :) (Yes, I know, these don't count.)
>
> I don't understand, Marc. Since when did Ohio get state highways
> numbered 80 and 90? Are these relatively new ones? Or did you mean
> to say I-80 and 90 multiplex in Indiana just like they do in Ohio?

I think he's referring to the fact that Ohio legally refers to all
highways (state, US, and Interstate) as State Route xx. IOW, Ohio 80
*is* I-80 and likewise for OH 90 and I-90. Apparently Indiana does
the same thing.

--
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/ Mike McManus _/ home: mmcm...@frontiernet.net _/

Marc Fannin

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
In article <373D548B...@frontiernet.net>,
mmcm...@frontiernet.net wrote:

> James C. Schul wrote:
>
> > [I wrote:]

> > > For example, I-80 and I-90 multiplex in
> > > Ohio, and so do OH 80 and OH 90 (similar situation in Indiana).
> > > Two different sets of multiplexes; one just happens to be right
> > > on top of the other! :) (Yes, I know, these don't count.)
> >
> > I don't understand, Marc. Since when did Ohio get state highways
> > numbered 80 and 90? Are these relatively new ones? Or did you mean
> > to say I-80 and 90 multiplex in Indiana just like they do in Ohio?
>
> I think he's referring to the fact that Ohio legally refers to all
> highways (state, US, and Interstate) as State Route xx. IOW, Ohio 80
> *is* I-80 and likewise for OH 90 and I-90. Apparently Indiana does
> the same thing.

That is correct. Dyche Anderson subsequently reminded me that Indiana
only does this with U.S. roues and not Interstates (i.e. U.S. 31 is
Indiana 31, but I-80 is just I-80 -- there is no Indiana 80).

Come to think of it, Ohio 76, Ohio 80, and Ohio 90 are probably only
the *non-toll* portions of I-76, I-80, and I-90 in Ohio, respectively
(since the Ohio Turnpike Commission is separate from ODOT, meaning the
Turnpike would only be identified as "The Ohio Turnpike" with no
numerical designation).

--
Marc Fannin, currently a few miles south of Ohio 90 in Chardon ;)