road suffixes...

brink

Aug 18, 2005, 3:19:50 AM8/18/05
i was trying to think of all the "official" suffixes of road names i've seen
used in the US (or prefixes, as in spanish names like "avenida de la
mesilla" or french names like "rue de la pierre")... here's what i've come
up with:

road
avenue
boulevard
drive
place
way
street
lane
circle
hill
court
terrace
path
pass
cove
park
square
trail
pike
loop
spur
expressway
freeway
highway
causeway
turnpike
tollway
trafficway
parkway
route
vista
avenida
calle
paseo
via
camino
caminito
rue

what other names have you seen in use on US roads?

brink

bill

Aug 18, 2005, 9:32:48 AM8/18/05

Steve

Aug 18, 2005, 9:43:35 AM8/18/05
Plaza (Watchung Plaza in Montclair, NJ for example)
You also have Pass but not Bypass (Hillburn Bypass, Hillburn, NY)
And in a couple of places, I've noticed geographical names like Mountain
and Field taking the place of the street designation - so something like
Bald Eagle Mountain would actually be the name of the street.
--
Steve Alpert
MIT - Civil Engineering '05, MST '07 (Transportation)

Pete from Boston

Aug 18, 2005, 10:46:59 AM8/18/05
bill wrote:
> In Portland, Me there is the Franklin "Arterial"
>
> http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.663805,-70.256903&spn=0.006960,0.014616&hl=en

Also "Artery" (as in Northern, Central, and Southern here in/around
Boston), "Run" (lots of subdivisions with things like "Pheasant Run").
Subdivisions, in fact, have quite the creative palette of street
designations like this.

Daniel T.

Aug 18, 2005, 11:21:19 AM8/18/05

Gary E. Ansok

Aug 18, 2005, 12:35:58 PM8/18/05
In article <3miskbF...@individual.net>,

brink <br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>i was trying to think of all the "official" suffixes of road names i've seen
>used in the US (or prefixes, as in spanish names like "avenida de la
>mesilla" or french names like "rue de la pierre")... here's what i've come
>up with:
[snip]

Have you seen http://www.usps.com/ncsc/lookups/abbreviations.html#suffix

I think I've seen "promenade" used as a suffix, and it's not on the
USPS list.

Gary
--
Rule #87: If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15
seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it.

US 71

Aug 18, 2005, 12:44:00 PM8/18/05

Paul DeRocco

Aug 18, 2005, 12:44:54 PM8/18/05
My SoCal neighborhood provides three more, used on dirt mountain roads, For
instance, in the San Gabriel Mountains "motorway" is common, as in Johnstone
Peak Motorway. Also, I think it's fair to count "truck trail" as a suffix
distinct from "trail", because the "San Dimas Truck Trail" is a truck trail
named San Dimas, not a trail named San Dimas Truck. Similarly, "fire road"
is a common suffix, as in Rincon Redbox Fire Road.

--

Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
Paul mailto:pder...@ix.netcom.com

Shawn K. Quinn

Aug 18, 2005, 12:50:33 PM8/18/05
On 2005-08-18, brink <br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> what other names have you seen in use on US roads?

Houston, TX, has a Buffalo Speedway (and it's a regular surface street,
designed for 35 mph I think).

--
Shawn K. Quinn

Chris Wilson

Aug 18, 2005, 6:29:54 PM8/18/05

brink wrote:
> what other names have you seen in use on US roads?

Would "extension" count? (i.e. most famously I-476, The PA Turnpike
Extension)

Also: bridge, approach, skyway, creek, hill

Carl Rogers

Aug 18, 2005, 7:53:20 PM8/18/05

"brink" <br...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

...Just curious, but has the suffix "quay" made its way to this side of the
pond? If so, what major portside cities use it?

Thanks in advance,

Carl Rogers
-----------------
Calrog.com Highway-Shield page: http://hwy-shields.calrog.com
Highway-Shields books: http://www.lulu.com/calrog-bookstore

Howard Ford

Aug 18, 2005, 8:51:04 PM8/18/05

I've seen "chase" used. Don't forget "pike" (example Dayton Pike, north
of Chattanooga). There's also alley and alleyway. Then there's [the
Cherohala] Skyway. Also byway.

Howard Ford

Aug 18, 2005, 9:00:46 PM8/18/05
Oh yeah, I've also seen "Square" and "Triangle" used, too.
There's "Cut-off" I've seen a couple of times.

Chris Wilson

Aug 18, 2005, 9:37:47 PM8/18/05

Rollin With The Flava

Aug 18, 2005, 10:26:36 PM8/18/05
Carl Rogers wrote:

Another one I always liked was "Parade" like Anzac Parade(Sydney), Marine
Parade, etc.

--
Comrade Mister Yamamoto
http://mryamamoto.50megs.com

The Chief Instigator

Aug 18, 2005, 11:55:54 PM8/18/05

Posted for 35 in most of its length between Westheimer and West Bellfort,
anyway...it got its name from a auto racetrack (the 1930s version) that was
near where Exxon (Mobil) Production & Research is these days, at West Alabama.

--
Patrick "The Chief Instigator" Humphrey (pat...@io.com) Houston, Texas
chiefinstigator.us.tt/aeros.php (TCI's 2005-06 Houston Aeros)

brink

Aug 19, 2005, 12:21:53 AM8/19/05

"Chris Wilson" <chrisedd...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> brink wrote:
>> what other names have you seen in use on US roads?
>
> Would "extension" count? (i.e. most famously I-476, The PA Turnpike
> Extension)

yeah... that's a surface street name i see *rarely* but it sure does
exist... capitola road extension in santa cruz, CA... lake street
extension in excelsior, MN... it's always in way expensive places like that
it seems... ;-)

> Also: bridge, approach, skyway, creek, hill

where have you seen "bridge" and "approach" used?

brink

brink

Aug 19, 2005, 12:23:26 AM8/19/05

"Steve" <smal...@hackmit.edu> wrote in message

sounds hippy to me... like naming your child sunshine or moon... ;-)

brink

Steve

Aug 19, 2005, 12:41:55 AM8/19/05

Certainly, there are quais in Quebec, and I think I've seen a couple
around here. Louisiana roadgeeks?

brink

Aug 19, 2005, 12:58:28 AM8/19/05

"Chris Wilson" <chrisedd...@gmail.com> wrote in message

hmmm.... some good ones posted in this thread. a lot of them sound kinda
trendy to me, like naming your child something odd like lannon or whatever.
many of the brand new luxury developments seem to be going this direction
using "pike" and "hill" and odd things like that...

so here's the list we've got going now. for the odd ones, i'm listing
examples of the ones i know of, can anyone help with some of the odder
entries that have been posted?

road
avenue
boulevard
drive
place
way
street
lane

route
circle
court
terrace
turnpike
freeway
highway
square (winthrop square, boston)
trail (sag lake trail, grand marais, MN)
truck trail ??
fire road (santa fe fire road, san bernardino, CA)
pike (mcgavock pike, nashville)
loop (loop 202, phoenix)
spur (spur 184, houston)
expressway (ramona expressway, perris, CA)
causeway (lake pontchartrain causeway, new orleans)
tollway ??
path ??
pass ??
cove ??
park ??
hill ??
trafficway (n. oak trafficway, kansas city)
parkway (carlson parkway, minnetonka, MN)
vista (vista del mar, ranchos palos verdes, CA)
avenida (avenida de la mesilla, las cruces, NM)
calle (calle del dur, mesilla, NM)
paseo (paseo del norte, tucson, AZ)
via (via entrada, newbury park, CA)
camino (el camino real, santa clara, CA)
caminito (caminito bauzito, san diego, CA)
rue (rue de la pierre, ranchos palos verdes, CA)
chase ??
connector ??
extension (lake street extension, excelsior, MN)
skyway ??
creek ??
hill ??
speedway (buffalo speedway, houston)
arterial ??
artery ??
run ??
plaza ??
bypass (hwy 61 bypass, muscatine, IA)
mountain ??
field ??
diagonal ??
promenade ??
alley ??
alleyway ??
motorway ??
byway ??
triangle ??
cutoff ??

brink

Magyar

Aug 19, 2005, 1:18:05 AM8/19/05

> Carl Rogers wrote:
>> ...Just curious, but has the suffix "quay" made its way to this side of
>> the
>> pond? If so, what major portside cities use it?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Carl Rogers
>
> Certainly, there are quais in Quebec, and I think I've seen a couple
> around here. Louisiana roadgeeks?

Not in Baton Rouge.
Haven't explored enough of Acadiana to know of any "quaies" over there.

> --
> Steve Alpert
> MIT - Civil Engineering '05, MST '07 (Transportation)

--
Sandor Gulyas
Graduate Student - Louisiana St. University

"Many people talking
But a mighty few people know"
-- Alick "Rice" Miller (aka Sunny Boy Williamson [II]) from Dissatisfied

The Etobian

Aug 19, 2005, 7:11:29 AM8/19/05
On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 00:19:50 -0700, "brink" <br...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>i was trying to think of all the "official" suffixes of road names i've seen
>used in the US (or prefixes, as in spanish names like "avenida de la
>mesilla" or french names like "rue de la pierre")... here's what i've come
>up with:

cartway
creedway
arcade
row

The Etobian

Aug 19, 2005, 7:12:06 AM8/19/05
On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:44:00 GMT, "US 71" <us...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"brink" <br...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>

>> what other names have you seen in use on US roads?
>>

>Alley.

Cutoff (Worcester, Mass.)

The Etobian

Aug 19, 2005, 7:12:50 AM8/19/05
On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 23:53:20 GMT, "Carl Rogers"
<carl...@DELETETHIS.calrog.com> wrote:

>...Just curious, but has the suffix "quay" made its way to this side of the
>pond? If so, what major portside cities use it?

There's a Queen's Quay in Toronto.

william lynch

Aug 19, 2005, 9:10:56 AM8/19/05
brink wrote:

How about "warpath" (Ogallala Warpath, off of CA-17 near Los
Gatos, CA).

Steve

Aug 19, 2005, 9:19:24 AM8/19/05
Rockburn Pass... hmmm... Andover? NJ
> cove ??
> park ??
Erwin Park, Montclair, NJ

> hill ??
> trafficway (n. oak trafficway, kansas city)
> parkway (carlson parkway, minnetonka, MN)
> vista (vista del mar, ranchos palos verdes, CA)
> avenida (avenida de la mesilla, las cruces, NM)
> calle (calle del dur, mesilla, NM)
> paseo (paseo del norte, tucson, AZ)
> via (via entrada, newbury park, CA)
> camino (el camino real, santa clara, CA)
> caminito (caminito bauzito, san diego, CA)
> rue (rue de la pierre, ranchos palos verdes, CA)
> chase ??
> connector ??
> extension (lake street extension, excelsior, MN)
> skyway ??
Pulaski Skyway, Kearny NJ and Boston MA

> creek ??
> hill ??
> speedway (buffalo speedway, houston)
> arterial ??
> artery ??
> run ??
> plaza ??
Watchung Plaza (or Watchung Place Plaza), Montclair NJ

> bypass (hwy 61 bypass, muscatine, IA)
> mountain ??
> field ??
> diagonal ??
> promenade ??
> alley ??
Elfreth's (and many others) Alley, Philadelphia PA

> alleyway ??
> motorway ??
> byway ??
> triangle ??
> cutoff ??
>
> brink

Archie Leach

Aug 19, 2005, 9:54:03 AM8/19/05
"brink" <br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

How about "Toll Road", as in the Indiana Toll Road?

I've also seen "Concessions" and "Side Roads" in Ontario.

copyright ARCHIE LEACH

"On Wordscreens of the World"

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 05:36:36 GMT, tinmimus 9...@hotmail.com (mimus) scribbled:

>When will people learn to value cheerleaders for their minds?

Nathan Perry

Aug 19, 2005, 11:26:43 AM8/19/05
In article <de2dde$3td$1...@naig.caltech.edu>,

an...@alumni.caltech.edu (Gary E. Ansok) wrote:

What the heck is a "stravenue"?

One that I didn't see listed was "stair" or "staircase".

Chris Wilson

Aug 19, 2005, 11:55:25 AM8/19/05

San Dimas Truck Trail, San Dimas, CA

> fire road (santa fe fire road, san bernardino, CA)
> pike (mcgavock pike, nashville)
> loop (loop 202, phoenix)
> spur (spur 184, houston)
> expressway (ramona expressway, perris, CA)
> causeway (lake pontchartrain causeway, new orleans)
> tollway ??
> path ??
> pass ??
> cove ??
> park ??
> hill ??
> trafficway (n. oak trafficway, kansas city)
> parkway (carlson parkway, minnetonka, MN)
> vista (vista del mar, ranchos palos verdes, CA)
> avenida (avenida de la mesilla, las cruces, NM)
> calle (calle del dur, mesilla, NM)
> paseo (paseo del norte, tucson, AZ)
> via (via entrada, newbury park, CA)
> camino (el camino real, santa clara, CA)
> caminito (caminito bauzito, san diego, CA)
> rue (rue de la pierre, ranchos palos verdes, CA)
> chase ??
> connector ??

Route 440 Connector, Woodbridge, NJ

> extension (lake street extension, excelsior, MN)
> skyway ??
> creek ??
> hill ??
> speedway (buffalo speedway, houston)
> arterial ??

Mauka Arterial, Honolulu, Hawaii

> artery ??
> run ??
> plaza ??
> bypass (hwy 61 bypass, muscatine, IA)
> mountain ??
> field ??
> diagonal ??

E Los Coyotes Diagonal, Long Beach, CA

> promenade ??
> alley ??
> alleyway ??
> motorway ??

British Motorways?

> byway ??
> triangle ??
> cutoff ??

> bridge approach (midtown bridge approach, hackensack?, NJ)

What about "real"? Like "El Camino Real" in coastal CA.

David Jensen

Aug 19, 2005, 12:08:08 PM8/19/05
On 19 Aug 2005 08:55:25 -0700, in misc.transport.road
<1124466925....@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>:

>What about "real"? Like "El Camino Real" in coastal CA.

Very funny.

With that we could add a thousand 'suffixes'

El Camino Central
El Camino del Norte

Did anyone get _Mews_, I believe there are a few in NYC among others?

Message has been deleted

Justin Priola

Aug 19, 2005, 9:09:31 PM8/19/05

Tarpon Pass, Galliano, LA (AKA LA 3161)

> pass ??
> cove ??
> park ??
> hill ??
> trafficway (n. oak trafficway, kansas city)
> parkway (carlson parkway, minnetonka, MN)
> vista (vista del mar, ranchos palos verdes, CA)
> avenida (avenida de la mesilla, las cruces, NM)
> calle (calle del dur, mesilla, NM)
> paseo (paseo del norte, tucson, AZ)
> via (via entrada, newbury park, CA)
> camino (el camino real, santa clara, CA)
> caminito (caminito bauzito, san diego, CA)
> rue (rue de la pierre, ranchos palos verdes, CA)
> chase ??

LA 3 Connector, Bossier City, LA

> connector ??
> extension (lake street extension, excelsior, MN)

Chicago Skyway, James Lick Skyway (SF)

> skyway ??
> creek ??

There are a fair number of "(name) hill" streets in the UK.

> hill ??
> speedway (buffalo speedway, houston)
> arterial ??

Central Artery, Boston (AKA the Big Dig)

> artery ??
> run ??

Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY

> plaza ??
> bypass (hwy 61 bypass, muscatine, IA)
> mountain ??
> field ??
> diagonal ??
> promenade ??

Pirates Alley and Pere Antoine Alley, New Orleans

> alley ??
> alleyway ??
> motorway ??
> byway ??
> triangle ??
> cutoff ??

Haven't heard of "quay" being used around these parts. Decatur Street
in the Quarter was once called Rue de la Quai, though.

I have heard of "row," as in Distributors Row in Elmwood Business Park
near Harahan, LA; and "route," as in Grand Route St. John in the
Faubourg St. John neighborhood of New Orleans.

And don't forget streets totally without suffixes like NYC's Broadway
and KC's Paseo.

Scott M. Kozel

Aug 19, 2005, 10:03:41 PM8/19/05
"brink" <br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> hmmm.... some good ones posted in this thread. a lot of them sound kinda
> trendy to me, like naming your child something odd like lannon or whatever.
> many of the brand new luxury developments seem to be going this direction
> using "pike" and "hill" and odd things like that...
>
> so here's the list we've got going now. for the odd ones, i'm listing
> examples of the ones i know of, can anyone help with some of the odder
> entries that have been posted?
>
> road
> avenue
> boulevard
> drive
> place
[...]

greenway - as in -

Dulles Greenway (VA-267)

Central Florida Greenway (FL-417)

--
Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites
Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C. http://www.roadstothefuture.com

MC Pee Pants

Aug 19, 2005, 11:29:30 PM8/19/05
TV's brink wrote:
> what other names have you seen in use on US roads?

Lateral (Woodson Lateral between Woodson and East End, AR)
Crossroad (Montgomery Crossroad in Savannah, GA)

--

Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning.
A non-functioning mind is clinically dead. Believe in nothing.

David J. Lynch

Aug 19, 2005, 11:49:17 PM8/19/05
Westpark Tollway, Houston
> path ??
There are numerous Paths in Austin, but they're all on minor streets.
> pass ??
Packsaddle Pass, Austin, TX (not that major, but it gets a mention on
the US 290/TX 71 freeway signage)
> cove ??
Popular ending for cul-de-sacs in Austin. Again, nothing that major.

> park ??
> hill ??
> trafficway (n. oak trafficway, kansas city)
> parkway (carlson parkway, minnetonka, MN)
> vista (vista del mar, ranchos palos verdes, CA)
> avenida (avenida de la mesilla, las cruces, NM)
> calle (calle del dur, mesilla, NM)
> paseo (paseo del norte, tucson, AZ)
> via (via entrada, newbury park, CA)
> camino (el camino real, santa clara, CA)
> caminito (caminito bauzito, san diego, CA)
> rue (rue de la pierre, ranchos palos verdes, CA)
> chase ??
> connector ??
> extension (lake street extension, excelsior, MN)
> skyway ??
Chicago Skyway

> creek ??
> hill ??
> speedway (buffalo speedway, houston)
> arterial ??
> artery ??
> run ??
> plaza ??
> bypass (hwy 61 bypass, muscatine, IA)
> mountain ??
> field ??
> diagonal ??
> promenade ??
> alley ??
Post Alley, Seattle, WA

> alleyway ??
> motorway ??
> byway ??
> triangle ??
> cutoff ??
Blue Ridge Cutoff, KC, MO or 38th St. Cut-Off, Austin, TX
(I believe the Kansas City one is signed both with and without a hyphen.
Austin's, which runs for only two blocks, always has a hyphen.)

> brink

Sir Hailstone the BOFH®

Aug 20, 2005, 3:29:41 AM8/20/05
Justin Priola wrote:

> Haven't heard of "quay" being used around these parts. Decatur Street
> in the Quarter was once called Rue de la Quai, though.
>
> I have heard of "row," as in Distributors Row in Elmwood Business Park
> near Harahan, LA; and "route," as in Grand Route St. John in the
> Faubourg St. John neighborhood of New Orleans.
>
> And don't forget streets totally without suffixes like NYC's Broadway
> and KC's Paseo.

Kokomo, Indiana has "Boulevard" .. though it seems some INDOT signs on
31 bypass have it mis-marked "Boulevard Street" ..

Griffith, Indiana just has names on many of their residential streets
[or used to] .. like "Jay" or "Arbogast" - some main throughfares
though are names like "Broad Street" or "Cline Avenue"

--
Sir Hailstone - Known to a few as "Mike"
Indianapolis Road Geek and Motorsports Freak

Nathan Perry

Aug 20, 2005, 9:13:18 AM8/20/05
In article <1124500171.1...@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"Justin Priola" <jpr...@msn.com> wrote:

> Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY

That's not a street, though; it's a plaza.