Exit 0

SPUI

Jan 31, 2002, 4:45:45 AM1/31/02
Mile-based numbering often presents a problem: to use or not to use exit 0.
If it is not used, you usually have at least 1.5 miles of exit 1*, or you
modify it so exit 1* is only before mile, exit 2* is before mile 2, etc.
Here is a full list of which states use exit 0.
Y=yes, N=no, NX=no but there are no places with multiple exits at the
beginning that would favor an exit 0, NP=no, takes the number at a terminus
junction from the intersecting road

AL Y
AZ N
AR NP
CO N (I-270 is an exception since that was extended)
FL N
GA N
HI N
ID N
IL N
IN Y
IA N
KS N
KY N
LA N
MD N
MI N
MN N
MS N
MO N
MT Y
NE NP
NV N
NJ N
NM Y
NC N
ND NX
OH N
OK N
OR N
PA N
SC N
SD NX
TN N
TX Y
UT N
VA N
WA N
DC N
WV N
WI N
WY NX

--
Dan Moraseski - 14th grade at MIT
http://spui.cjb.net/ - FL NJ MA route logs and exit lists

SP Cook

Jan 31, 2002, 7:18:51 AM1/31/02

SPUI <sp...@mit.BUTIDONTLIKESPeduAM> wrote in message

> Mile-based numbering often presents a problem: to use or not to use exit
0.
> If it is not used, you usually have at least 1.5 miles of exit 1*, or you
> modify it so exit 1* is only before mile, exit 2* is before mile 2, etc.
> Here is a full list of which states use exit 0.
> Y=yes, N=no, NX=no but there are no places with multiple exits at the
> beginning that would favor an exit 0, NP=no, takes the number at a
terminus
> junction from the intersecting road
>

> WV N

Umm, the Wheeling Island exit on I-70 is Exit 0.

SP Cook

Patrick L. Humphrey

Jan 31, 2002, 9:47:57 AM1/31/02
Isn't there still an Exit 0 on the Purchase Parkway in Kentucky? (I seem to
remember one when I was up that way 18 months ago.) You have Texas listed
as using Exit 0 -- but where? (It's not on I-30, I-37, or I-45 -- those are
the three Texas interstates I've been to the ends of, so far.)

--PLH, used to the longer exit numbers, like up between 730 and about 800 in
the Houston area

Jeffrey Coleman Carlyle

Jan 31, 2002, 10:36:37 AM1/31/02
"Patrick I. Humphrey" <pat...@io.com> wrote in message

> Isn't there still an Exit 0 on the Purchase Parkway in Kentucky? (I seem to
> remember one when I was up that way 18 months ago.)

The beginning of Kentucky's parkways are usually given the "Exit 0"
number.

SPUI

Jan 31, 2002, 11:22:01 AM1/31/02

"Patrick L. Humphrey" <pat...@io.com> wrote in message

> Isn't there still an Exit 0 on the Purchase Parkway in Kentucky? (I seem
> remember one when I was up that way 18 months ago.) You have Texas listed
> as using Exit 0 -- but where? (It's not on I-30, I-37, or I-45 -- those
are
> the three Texas interstates I've been to the ends of, so far.)

I-10 has an exit 0.

sycamore

Jan 31, 2002, 11:32:06 AM1/31/02
Illinois must have stopped that recently. When I-72 used to end at I-55, I-55
was exits 0A-B.

--
Sycamore--GO RAMS!!!
We beat the Patsies at home...now we'll beat 'em in a dome!

"Road Trippin"--a developing travel diary at Sycamoreland
http://www.sycamoreland.com
ICQ--7810696

Jason L. Bennett

Jan 31, 2002, 12:14:20 PM1/31/02
"Exit 0" is an album by Steve Earle, who has songs such as "Hillbilly
Highway", "Nowhere Road" and my favorite "Copperhead Road".

Jason L. Bennett
Oriskany, NY
--
Microsoft - giving IT Support People job security for the past 20 years

Elkins, H.B.

Jan 31, 2002, 12:28:22 PM1/31/02
pat...@io.com (Patrick L. Humphrey) wrote:

>Isn't there still an Exit 0 on the Purchase Parkway in Kentucky? (I seem to
>remember one when I was up that way 18 months ago.) You have Texas listed
>as using Exit 0 -- but where? (It's not on I-30, I-37, or I-45 -- those are
>the three Texas interstates I've been to the ends of, so far.)

Yes. On my long-neglected Purchase Parkway page
(http://www.users.mis.net/~hbelkins/PurchasePkwy.html) You'll see that
there is, indeed, an Exit 0, for KY 116 and KY 166.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
H.B. Elkins mailto:hbel...@mis.net or mailto:HB...@aol.com
http://www.millenniumhwy.net
http://www.users.mis.net/~hbelkins

"There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
--Dale Jarrett, on Dale Earnhardt (RIP 2/18/01)

Waltrip, Kentucky, Anybody but North Carolina
To reply, you gotta do what NASCAR won't -- remove the restrictor plates!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

MLOTT2002

Jan 31, 2002, 12:58:13 PM1/31/02
what is exit 0 in alabama?

Tulsarama

Jan 31, 2002, 1:12:43 PM1/31/02
>You have Texas listed as using Exit 0 -- but where?

Isn't the Glenrio exit on I-40 Exit 0?

Rick Mattioni
Tulsa

Patrick L. Humphrey

Jan 31, 2002, 3:36:57 PM1/31/02

...at the south or west end, I'd presume, but the Pennyrile starts at Exit 7
(because of the original plan to extend it south to I-24 from US 41 south of
Hopkinsville), the Cumberland doesn't have an Exit 0 at I-65, and I don't
remember an Exit 0 on the Daniel Boone the last time I traveled it six years
ago...

--PLH, who'd have added the WK, but the last time I traveled that, it was
still a toll road and didn't have exit numbers :)

Patrick L. Humphrey

Jan 31, 2002, 3:39:42 PM1/31/02
"SPUI" <sp...@mit.BUTIDONTLIKESPeduAM> writes:

Just south of Anthony would make sense...of course, that's just about
halfway to Los Angeles from where I get on I-10 headed west. :-)

--PLH, give me two weeks off, and I'll check it out

Brandon Kraft

Jan 31, 2002, 3:40:37 PM1/31/02

"SPUI" <sp...@mit.BUTIDONTLIKESPeduAM> wrote in message

I-44 does not have an exit zero, have two miles worth of Exit 1* (1-1D for
five marked exits, each way only have four though. Exit 1 is only SB, exit
1B is only NB)

BD

Jan 31, 2002, 3:46:04 PM1/31/02
What is odd is that IL labels the exits at the end of I-474 as A/B, not
1A/1B or 0A/0B.. just A/B. IIRC, there is an exit 1 on either IL 6 or
I-474.

"sycamore" <syca...@sycamoreland.com> wrote in message

Aaron O'Donnell

Jan 31, 2002, 4:16:52 PM1/31/02
On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 04:45:45 -0500, "SPUI"
<sp...@mit.BUTIDONTLIKESPeduAM> wrote in misc.transport.road:

>Mile-based numbering often presents a problem: to use or not to use exit 0.
>If it is not used, you usually have at least 1.5 miles of exit 1*, or you
>modify it so exit 1* is only before mile, exit 2* is before mile 2, etc.
>Here is a full list of which states use exit 0.
>Y=yes, N=no, NX=no but there are no places with multiple exits at the
>beginning that would favor an exit 0, NP=no, takes the number at a terminus
>junction from the intersecting road

>OR N

Oregon could be marked NX, there are a couple places where an exit 0
would work. OR-22 in Salem has Exits 1A and 1B at the spot where the
I-5 interchange/overpass is, which is also the point where the mile
posts start from zero and increment in both the east & west
directions. I think US-26 in Portland may be mileposted like this too.

+-----------------------------+
| Aaron O'Donnell |
| www.aaroncity.com |
+-----------------------------+

US71

Jan 31, 2002, 4:51:06 PM1/31/02
"SPUI" <sp...@mit.BUTIDONTLIKESPeduAM> wrote in message news:<3c591279$0$3959$b45e...@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu>...

> Mile-based numbering often presents a problem: to use or not to use exit 0.
> If it is not used, you usually have at least 1.5 miles of exit 1*, or you
> modify it so exit 1* is only before mile, exit 2* is before mile 2, etc.
> Here is a full list of which states use exit 0.
> Y=yes, N=no, NX=no but there are no places with multiple exits at the
> beginning that would favor an exit 0, NP=no, takes the number at a terminus
> junction from the intersecting road
>

> AR NP

I-540 is kind of a wierd exception to this:

Originally, it ended with Exit 1 A/B at I-40. After it was extended
north towards Fayetteville, the exit was renumbered 15 (though there
are also still signs noting it as Exit 1).

Neil Alexander Bratney

Jan 31, 2002, 4:53:28 PM1/31/02
Iowa actually seems to use both forms. At the southern terminus of
I-380 is Exit 0. See Jason Hancock's page:

http://iowahwypix.tripod.com/ic/80-380b.jpg

I don't know about the northern (Western?) terminus of I-74. Anyone
else?

> If it is not used, you usually have at least 1.5 miles of exit 1*

I-29, I-129 and I-480 all have exits less than 1/2 mile from the border.
They are all named exit 1.

I-35 has an exit at the Missouri border. It is exit 114 (Mo numbering).

I-80 has two exits within 1.5 miles of Nebraska:
Exit 1A = I-29 @ 0.2 miles
Exit 1B = 24th Street @ 1.4 miles

Neil Alexander Bratney

Jan 31, 2002, 4:56:13 PM1/31/02
Neil Alexander Bratney wrote:

> Iowa actually seems to use both forms. At the southern terminus of
> I-380 is Exit 0. See Jason Hancock's page:

Sorry... that link didn't work.... look halfway down this page:
http://iowahwypix.tripod.com/ic/photos.html

You can even see the 0A exit tab!

SPUI

Jan 31, 2002, 11:39:04 PM1/31/02

"Brandon Kraft" <cheeseRE...@cst.REMOVEnet> wrote in message

> I-44 does not have an exit zero, have two miles worth of Exit 1* (1-1D for
> five marked exits, each way only have four though. Exit 1 is only SB, exit
> 1B is only NB)

Hmmm - looks like TX uses exit 0 in rural areas but not urban areas. Or
maybe it's only in the western part of the state.

SPUI

Jan 31, 2002, 11:39:29 PM1/31/02

"MLOTT2002" <mlot...@aol.com> wrote in message

> what is exit 0 in alabama?

I-65 has exit 0 at I-10 and I think I-85 has exit 0 at I-65.

SPUI

Jan 31, 2002, 11:40:10 PM1/31/02

"Aaron O'Donnell" <aa...@nospam.aaroncity.com> wrote in message

> On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 04:45:45 -0500, "SPUI"
> <sp...@mit.BUTIDONTLIKESPeduAM> wrote in misc.transport.road:
>
> >Mile-based numbering often presents a problem: to use or not to use exit
0.
> >If it is not used, you usually have at least 1.5 miles of exit 1*, or you
> >modify it so exit 1* is only before mile, exit 2* is before mile 2, etc.
> >Here is a full list of which states use exit 0.
> >Y=yes, N=no, NX=no but there are no places with multiple exits at the
> >beginning that would favor an exit 0, NP=no, takes the number at a
terminus
> >junction from the intersecting road
>

> >OR N
>
> Oregon could be marked NX, there are a couple places where an exit 0
> would work. OR-22 in Salem has Exits 1A and 1B at the spot where the
> I-5 interchange/overpass is, which is also the point where the mile
> posts start from zero and increment in both the east & west
> directions. I think US-26 in Portland may be mileposted like this too.

Actually NX would mean that there's no place like that.

Chris Lawrence

Feb 1, 2002, 12:51:34 AM2/1/02
On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 08:47:57 -0600, Patrick L. Humphrey wrote:

> Isn't there still an Exit 0 on the Purchase Parkway in Kentucky?

Yes. Can't remember what it's for, though :)

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <ch...@lordsutch.com> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/

Patrick L. Humphrey

Feb 1, 2002, 1:21:32 AM2/1/02
"SPUI" <sp...@mit.BUTIDONTLIKESPeduAM> writes:

That might be why I-45 doesn't have an Exit 0 on the Island, even though
the 0 mile point is where the on-ramps from 61st Street hit the end of I-45
and the start of Texas 87 (a/k/a Avenue J, or Broadway). For what it's
worth, the only exits on the Island are 1A (61st), 1B (71st), and 1C
(Teichman Road/Harborside Blvd) -- the last of which is just a few hundred
feet before the Mile 2 post. If the exits were numbered correctly, 61st
Street would be Exit 0, 71st would be Exit 1A, and Teichman/Harborside
would be Exit 1B.) Mile 2 occurs just before the approach to the northbound
Causeway back to the mainland, at which point the numbering manages to
follow the mile markers more or less correctly.

--PLH, I-45 has a long Mile 1, but nothing like I-40's Mile 1 in Memphis :-)

Roaddog

Feb 1, 2002, 1:32:55 AM2/1/02
>> what is exit 0 in alabama?
>
>I-65 has exit 0 at I-10 and I think I-85 has exit 0 at I-65.

The end of I-85 has no exit tabs.
I-65's South end is indeed signed as Exit 0.

Alex
--
http://www.aaroads.com
Highway Kick-off Page:

Patrick L. Humphrey

Feb 1, 2002, 1:45:02 AM2/1/02
Chris Lawrence <qua...@watervalley.net> writes:

>On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 08:47:57 -0600, Patrick L. Humphrey wrote:

>> Isn't there still an Exit 0 on the Purchase Parkway in Kentucky?

>Yes. Can't remember what it's for, though :)

I'm even with you on that one -- I've never taken that exit to see what it's
for, myself. :-)

--PLH, who's usually headed towards more important places in the
Commonwealth, as it is

Alan Hamilton

Feb 1, 2002, 2:46:33 AM2/1/02

Yes: http://www.arizonaroads.com/us70/906p.htm (bottom of the page)
--
/
/ * / Alan Hamilton

Arizona Roads -- http://www.arizonaroads.com

John David Galt

Feb 1, 2002, 11:32:32 AM2/1/02
ISTR that US 101 in WA has a freeway section near its end in Olympia.
Does it have exit numbers, and if so, which way do they go? (101 is
unique in having two "south ends"; if it were mileposted in WA, one of
the ends would have to be done backwards.)

SPUI

Feb 1, 2002, 11:46:35 AM2/1/02

"John David Galt" <j...@diogenes.sacramento.ca.us> wrote in message

No exit numbers, but mileposts go towards I-5.

Jeffrey Coleman Carlyle

Feb 1, 2002, 9:40:33 PM2/1/02

> "Jeffrey Coleman Carlyle" <jef...@carlyle.org> writes:
>
> >"Patrick I. Humphrey" <pat...@io.com> wrote in message
> >> Isn't there still an Exit 0 on the Purchase Parkway in Kentucky? (I seem to
> >> remember one when I was up that way 18 months ago.)
>
> >The beginning of Kentucky's parkways are usually given the "Exit 0"
> >number.
>
> ...at the south or west end, I'd presume, but the Pennyrile starts at Exit 7
> (because of the original plan to extend it south to I-24 from US 41 south of
> Hopkinsville), the Cumberland doesn't have an Exit 0 at I-65, and I don't
> remember an Exit 0 on the Daniel Boone the last time I traveled it six years
> ago...

Looks like my memory failed me. I thought that the beginning of the
Natcher Parkway and Cumberland Parkway were both numbered exit 0. The
Audubon Parkway at the Pennyrile _IS_ numbered 0. As is the afore
mentioned exit on the Purchase. The other parkways appear to use 1 as
their first exit, also with the other mentioned exception of the
Pennyrile. Also as previously mentioned in this newsgroup, planning
appears to be moving ahead on constructing an extension of the Pennyrile
to I-24.

--
// Jeffrey Coleman Carlyle: Graduate Student in Computer Science at the
// University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign; Creator of StratoSetup,

SPUI

Feb 1, 2002, 9:58:42 PM2/1/02

"SPUI" <sp...@mit.BUTIDONTLIKESPeduAM> wrote in message
> PA N

Hmmm - looks like PA 66 has exit 0. That's Turnpike owned though - no
PennDOT roads appear to have one.
--
Dan Moraseski - 14th grade at MIT
http://spui.cjb.net/ - FL NJ MA route logs and exit lists
"Boston really isn't high on the importance scale for numbered routes
because we don't see the need to waste taxpayer money on it. Thru traffic
uses highways, not numbered surface routes. This isn't the 1950s." - some
MassHighway MassHole to Shawn De Cesari

Patrick L. Humphrey

Feb 2, 2002, 12:21:25 AM2/2/02
"Jeffrey Coleman Carlyle" <jef...@carlyle.org> writes:

>"Patrick L. Humphrey" <pat...@io.com> wrote in message
>> "Jeffrey Coleman Carlyle" <jef...@carlyle.org> writes:
>>
>> >"Patrick I. Humphrey" <pat...@io.com> wrote in message

>> >The beginning of Kentucky's parkways are usually given the "Exit 0"
>> >number.

>> ...at the south or west end, I'd presume, but the Pennyrile starts at Exit 7
>> (because of the original plan to extend it south to I-24 from US 41 south of
>> Hopkinsville), the Cumberland doesn't have an Exit 0 at I-65, and I don't
>> remember an Exit 0 on the Daniel Boone the last time I traveled it six years
>> ago...

>Looks like my memory failed me. I thought that the beginning of the
>Natcher Parkway and Cumberland Parkway were both numbered exit 0. The
>Audubon Parkway at the Pennyrile _IS_ numbered 0. As is the afore
>mentioned exit on the Purchase. The other parkways appear to use 1 as
>their first exit, also with the other mentioned exception of the
>Pennyrile. Also as previously mentioned in this newsgroup, planning
>appears to be moving ahead on constructing an extension of the Pennyrile
>to I-24.

The Pennyrile and I-24 finally meeting? That's got to be one of the Seven
Signs. (I spent a lot of my childhood summers a little farther west in Trigg
County, having great-grandparents there, and remember the hoopla when the
Pennyrile opened -- finally, you could get from Hopkinsville to somewhere else
on something *other* than a *&^%$#@! two-lane road, even if it was only
Madisonville and Henderson. :-) I've never been on the Natcher, but since US
68 is Exit 5 on it, and I-65 is about five miles southeast of there, I'd
wonder just how the exit at I-65 is numbered. The Cumberland, as you
mentioned, uses 1 for its end at I-65 -- and who knows what it'll be numbered
as if it's designated as I-66. (That's assuming I-66 winds up extending west
of I-65.)

--PLH, who'll settle for a routing of I-69 to be decided so I can start
figuring the exit numbers in the Houston area

Jeffrey Coleman Carlyle

Feb 2, 2002, 12:52:31 AM2/2/02
"Patrick L. Humphrey" <pat...@io.com> wrote:
> The Pennyrile and I-24 finally meeting? That's got to be one of the Seven
> Signs. (I spent a lot of my childhood summers a little farther west in Trigg
> County, having great-grandparents there, and remember the hoopla when the
> Pennyrile opened -- finally, you could get from Hopkinsville to somewhere else
> on something *other* than a *&^%$#@! two-lane road, even if it was only
> Madisonville and Henderson. :-)

Yup, it looks like it might happen. Here are some links to information
about it:
http://www.kytc.state.ky.us/proserv/bull/Bull99-5/2-100.htm
http://www.kentuckynewera.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi?200101/31+parkway01312001_
news.html+20010131
http://www.kentuckynewera.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi?200106/28+parkway06282001_
news.html+20010628
http://www.kentuckyroads.com/Pennyrile%20Parkway/

And there was $1 million set aside for it in the 2002 U.S. Transportation
spending bill.

> I've never been on the Natcher, but since US 68 is Exit 5 on it, and I-65
> is about five miles southeast of there, I'd wonder just how the exit at I-65
> is numbered.

According to this map, it is exit 1:
http://www.kytc.state.ky.us/Traffic_Center/counties/gif/warren98.gif

> The Cumberland, as you mentioned, uses 1 for its end at I-65 -- and who
> knows what it'll be numbered as if it's designated as I-66. (That's
> assuming I-66 winds up extending west of I-65.)

Again there is already planning studies for choosing a route west of the
Cumberland Parkway. The Bowling Green Daily News has found that residents
generally like the plans for a new road. There is a log of information
about I-66 in Kentucky here:

http://www.kentuckyroads.com/I-66/

--
// Jeffrey Coleman Carlyle: Graduate Student in Computer Science at the
// University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign; Creator of StratoSetup,
// Windows Restart, comp.os.msdos.programmer FAQ; THE RULER OF EARTH!
// <www.rulerofearth.org> <www.jeffc.org> <www.kentuckyroads.com>

> "Jeffrey Coleman Carlyle" <jef...@carlyle.org> writes:

> >"Patrick L. Humphrey" <pat...@io.com> wrote in message

> >> ...at the south or west end, I'd presume, but the Pennyrile starts at Exit 7
> >> (because of the original plan to extend it south to I-24 from US 41 south of
> >> Hopkinsville), the Cumberland doesn't have an Exit 0 at I-65, and I don't
> >> remember an Exit 0 on the Daniel Boone the last time I traveled it six years
> >> ago...
>
> >Looks like my memory failed me. I thought that the beginning of the
> >Natcher Parkway and Cumberland Parkway were both numbered exit 0. The
> >Audubon Parkway at the Pennyrile _IS_ numbered 0. As is the afore
> >mentioned exit on the Purchase. The other parkways appear to use 1 as
> >their first exit, also with the other mentioned exception of the

> >Pennyrile. Also as previously mentioned in this newsgroup, planning onstructing an extension of the Pennyrile
> >to I-24.

Patrick L. Humphrey

Feb 2, 2002, 1:17:46 AM2/2/02
"Jeffrey Coleman Carlyle" <jef...@carlyle.org> writes:

>"Patrick L. Humphrey" <pat...@io.com> wrote:

>> The Pennyrile and I-24 finally meeting? That's got to be one of the Seven
>> Signs. (I spent a lot of my childhood summers a little farther west in
>> Trigg County, having great-grandparents there, and remember the hoopla when
>> the Pennyrile opened -- finally, you could get from Hopkinsville to
>> somewhere else on something *other* than a *&^%$#@! two-lane road, even if
>> it was only Madisonville and Henderson. :-)

Thanks for the updates...this is one of those things you've seen planned for
years, but nothing ever happens, and just when you figure it's been relegated
to history's dustbin, it pops back up.

>And there was $1 million set aside for it in the 2002 U.S. Transportation
>spending bill.

That'll pay for a sliver of the development at 41 that will have to be
relocated.

>> I've never been on the Natcher, but since US 68 is Exit 5 on it, and I-65
>> is about five miles southeast of there, I'd wonder just how the exit at I-65
>> is numbered.

Yep...that's my native Commonwealth, all right -- consistently inconsistent.

>> The Cumberland, as you mentioned, uses 1 for its end at I-65 -- and who
>> knows what it'll be numbered as if it's designated as I-66. (That's
>> assuming I-66 winds up extending west of I-65.)

>Again there is already planning studies for choosing a route west of the
>Cumberland Parkway. The Bowling Green Daily News has found that residents
>generally like the plans for a new road. There is a log of information
>about I-66 in Kentucky here:

>http://www.kentuckyroads.com/I-66/

I'm sure the people in Bowling Green would, because at present there's no real
access around the area to the north of town, and the improved US 68 doesn't
kick in until you're out past the Natcher. What happens out west of there,
though? I-66 could be justified to I-24 in Trigg County, maybe, but after
that, it'd be a stretch, at best. 68 doesn't have the AADT to justify an
Interstate corridor (of course, that could partly be because it's still two
lanes from Cadiz westward, including across the LBL), but maybe if it could
share I-24 to Paducah and then split off westward into Missouri along the
I-57/US 60 corridor and end up at I-44 in Springfield...that might be doable.
(I'm not expecting to live long enough to see that.)

--PLH, then again, I didn't think I'd live to see US 119 finished from
Pineville to Cumberland, either

Jason Hancock

Feb 3, 2002, 2:28:34 PM2/3/02
Neil Alexander Bratney wrote:

> Iowa actually seems to use both forms. At the southern terminus of
> I-380 is Exit 0. See Jason Hancock's page:
>
> http://iowahwypix.tripod.com/ic/80-380b.jpg
>
> I don't know about the northern (Western?) terminus of I-74. Anyone
> else?

The last exits of I-74 and I-280 are unnumbered now, but until about
1988, both of them were Exits 1A-B. (And the US 6 exit for I-280 used
to be Exit 1C; it's now just Exit 1.)

--Jason <http://iowahighways.cjb.net/>

Jeffrey Coleman Carlyle

Feb 3, 2002, 9:30:59 PM2/3/02

There are plans to improve US 60/KY 80 through the Land Between the
Lakes. Technically I-66 through the Land Between the Lakes is still a
possibility.

I've thought that the reconstruction of US 68/KY 80 from Bowling Green to
Cadiz should have been to I-standards, but unfortunately it was not. Now
there is a nice four lane road, but unfortunately most of it probably
wouldn't be useful for extending I-66 along a more southern corridor.
Instead it looks like it will follow the Western Kentucky Parkway
corridor.

There is a little bit about US 68/KY 80 and LBL at:
http://www.kytc.state.ky.us/Features/Land_Between_The_Lakes.htm

--
// Jeffrey Coleman Carlyle: Graduate Student in Computer Science at the
// University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign; Creator of StratoSetup,
// Windows Restart, comp.os.msdos.programmer FAQ; THE RULER OF EARTH!
// <www.rulerofearth.org> <www.jeffc.org> <www.kentuckyroads.com>

> "Jeffrey Coleman Carlyle" <jef...@carlyle.org> writes:

> is map, it is exit 1:
> >http://www.kytc.state.ky.us/Traffic_Center/counties/gif/warren98.gif
>
> Yep...that's my native Commonwealth, all right -- consistently inconsistent.
>
> >> The Cumberland, as you mentioned, uses 1 for its end at I-65 -- and who
> >> knows what it'll be numbered as if it's designated as I-66. (That's
> >> assuming I-66 winds up extending west of I-65.)
>
> >Again there is already planning studies for choosing a route west of the
> >Cumberland Parkway. The Bowling Green Daily News has found that residents
> >generally like the plans for a new road. There is a log of information
> >about I-66 in Kentucky here:
>
> >http://www.kentuckyroads.com/I-66/

John David Galt

Feb 3, 2002, 11:48:57 PM2/3/02
SPUI wrote:
> Mile-based numbering often presents a problem: to use or not to use exit 0.
> If it is not used, you usually have at least 1.5 miles of exit 1*, or you
> modify it so exit 1* is only before mile, exit 2* is before mile 2, etc.

A somewhat related question: which states will "stretch" the numbering
(for example, number three exits between mileposts 15 and 16 as 15,16,17
rather than 16A,B,C if it won't create conflicts)? NM does this repeatedly
and I thought it was a neat idea, though of course it will backfire if that
area builds up enough to create a conflict later on).

Jeff Morrison

Feb 4, 2002, 12:38:08 AM2/4/02
I-380 has Exit 0A-B at its intersection with I-80. I-80 SHOULD have the I-29
north exit be 0, but it's not. I-29, I-74, and I-280 all have at least one
mile before their first exit; I-35 uses Missouri's 114 because it's on the
line. I do not know about I-680, I-235, and I-129, all of which have an exit
before the first mile marker.

Personally, I'm a fan of it. If the west or south terminus is an interchange,
it should be Exit Zero.

SPUI wrote:

> Mile-based numbering often presents a problem: to use or not to use exit 0.
> If it is not used, you usually have at least 1.5 miles of exit 1*, or you
> modify it so exit 1* is only before mile, exit 2* is before mile 2, etc.

> Here is a full list of which states use exit 0.
> Y=yes, N=no, NX=no but there are no places with multiple exits at the
> beginning that would favor an exit 0, NP=no, takes the number at a terminus
> junction from the intersecting road
>

> IA N

Stanley Cline

Feb 4, 2002, 12:53:21 AM2/4/02
On Sun, 03 Feb 2002 20:48:57 -0800, John David Galt
<j...@diogenes.sacramento.ca.us> wrote:

>A somewhat related question: which states will "stretch" the numbering
>(for example, number three exits between mileposts 15 and 16 as 15,16,17
>rather than 16A,B,C if it won't create conflicts)? NM does this repeatedly

GDOT has done it in at least one case I know of -- I-285 between GA
400 and Ashford-Dunwoody Rd. The interchange for A-D Rd is Exit 29
even though it's *west* of mile marker 28! (The eastern end of the
eastern ramps are around mile marker 27.8; the western end of the
western ramps are around MM 27.2 or so.) GA 400 itself is exit 27;
Peachtree-Dunwoody Rd (half-diamond) is exit 28.

-SC
--
Stanley Cline -- sc1 at roamer1 dot org -- http://www.roamer1.org/
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might

Steve

Feb 4, 2002, 4:07:33 AM2/4/02

The GSP does it, but that's independent of NJDOT I believe. I-80 around
Paterson avoids lettered exits except for the same road or the same ramp
complex, so exits 56-61 are all pretty close to each other.

Patrick L. Humphrey

Feb 4, 2002, 8:22:58 AM2/4/02
"Jeffrey Coleman Carlyle" <jef...@carlyle.org> writes:

>"Patrick L. Humphrey" <pat...@io.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm sure the people in Bowling Green would, because at present there's no
>> real access around the area to the north of town, and the improved US 68
>> doesn't kick in until you're out past the Natcher. What happens out west
>> of there, though? I-66 could be justified to I-24 in Trigg County, maybe,
>> but after that, it'd be a stretch, at best. 68 doesn't have the AADT to
>> justify an Interstate corridor (of course, that could partly be because
>> it's still two lanes from Cadiz westward, including across the LBL), but
>> maybe if it could share I-24 to Paducah and then split off westward into
>> Missouri along the I-57/US 60 corridor and end up at I-44 in
>> Springfield...that might be doable. (I'm not expecting to live long enough
>> to see that.)

>There are plans to improve US 60/KY 80 through the Land Between the
>Lakes. Technically I-66 through the Land Between the Lakes is still a
>possibility.

It's a possibility, but I'd hate to see LBL get split by it when the
justification isn't yet there. (Considering where it would be, think of the
environmental paperwork that would have to be done...my four-greats
grandchildren *might* live to see it done.)

>I've thought that the reconstruction of US 68/KY 80 from Bowling Green to
>Cadiz should have been to I-standards, but unfortunately it was not. Now
>there is a nice four lane road, but unfortunately most of it probably
>wouldn't be useful for extending I-66 along a more southern corridor.
>Instead it looks like it will follow the Western Kentucky Parkway
>corridor.

At least the only challenges there are 1) the ROW for I-66 between I-65 and the
WK, and 2) getting the WK rebuilt to Interstate standards. Having grown up
making the 68/80 trip from London to Cadiz (or vice versa) once and sometimes
twice a summer, I can remember the nightmare it used to be -- though building
it to Interstate standards around Cadiz would have wiped out where my
great-aunt and uncle lived for years on the east edge of town, right where the
bypass meets the old route into town. (As it is, the new road is almost at
the front door, which means it's about 250 feet north of where the old road
ran.)

>There is a little bit about US 68/KY 80 and LBL at:
>http://www.kytc.state.ky.us/Features/Land_Between_The_Lakes.htm

I'll have to check that out...and if 68/80 get rebuilt between Cadiz and LBL,
I hope they make allowances to at least preserve an exit at Pete Light
Springs. :-)

--PLH, who's come a *long* way

Jeffrey Coleman Carlyle

Feb 4, 2002, 1:06:40 PM2/4/02
"Patrick L. Humphrey" <pat...@io.com> wrote in message

One of the reasons for rebuilding US 68/KY 80 through LBL is that the
bridges over the Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake are getting very old and
probably wouldn't survive an earthquake on the New Madrid fault, so there
is interest in replacing the bridges with earthquake resistant
structures.

There was a study a couple of years ago that said the Purchase area would
be cut off completely from the rest of the Kentucky if there was a major
earthquake in the region because none of the bridges (including I-24)
across the lakes and rivers would survive an earthquake.

Patrick L. Humphrey

Feb 5, 2002, 7:55:34 AM2/5/02
"Jeffrey Coleman Carlyle" <jef...@carlyle.org> writes:

>"Patrick L. Humphrey" <pat...@io.com> wrote in message
>> "Jeffrey Coleman Carlyle" <jef...@carlyle.org> writes:
>> >There is a little bit about US 68/KY 80 and LBL at:
>> >http://www.kytc.state.ky.us/Features/Land_Between_The_Lakes.htm

>> I'll have to check that out...and if 68/80 get rebuilt between Cadiz and
>> LBL, I hope they make allowances to at least preserve an exit at Pete Light
>> Springs. :-)

>One of the reasons for rebuilding US 68/KY 80 through LBL is that the
>bridges over the Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake are getting very old and
>probably wouldn't survive an earthquake on the New Madrid fault, so there
>is interest in replacing the bridges with earthquake resistant
>structures.

That's something that's been needed since around 1812, when both of the 68/80
LBL spans appear to have been built. (The last time I went through there in
July of 2000, I was worried mainly about anything larger than a Saturn SL2
trying to cross either span from the opposite direction -- those bridges are
old and narrow.)

>There was a study a couple of years ago that said the Purchase area would
>be cut off completely from the rest of the Kentucky if there was a major
>earthquake in the region because none of the bridges (including I-24)
>across the lakes and rivers would survive an earthquake.

That wouldn't be surprising, since the origins of the New Madrid activity
weren't really known until the last 20 years of the last century, and most of
the infrastructure in the Purchase and adjacent Tennessee and Missouri was
built prior to that. So far, I've been lucky to not be within 50 miles or so
when even a 3.5 occurs...

--PLH, down here on the Gulf Coast in a part of Texas that hasn't been
seismically active in a few million years

Jeff Morrison

Feb 8, 2002, 3:40:04 PM2/8/02
Neil Alexander Bratney wrote:

> I-29, I-129 and I-480 all have exits less than 1/2 mile from the border.
> They are all named exit 1.

<nitpicking>
I-29 Exit 1 (IA 333) is indeed Exit 1, as my copy of Street Atlas has 1.75
miles of I-29 in IA before it. Right on the other two, though.
</nitpicking>

(Odd, your posts hadn't shown up when I made my other one in this thread.)

Sherman Potter

Feb 8, 2002, 3:33:36 PM2/8/02
"SPUI" <sp...@mit.BUTIDONTLIKESPeduAM> wrote in message
> Mile-based numbering often presents a problem: to use or not to use exit
0.
> If it is not used, you usually have at least 1.5 miles of exit 1*, or you
> modify it so exit 1* is only before mile, exit 2* is before mile 2, etc.
> Here is a full list of which states use exit 0.
> Y=yes, N=no, NX=no but there are no places with multiple exits at the
> beginning that would favor an exit 0, NP=no, takes the number at a
terminus
> junction from the intersecting road
>
> AL Y
> AZ N
> AR NP
> CO N (I-270 is an exception since that was extended)
> FL N
> GA N

The ramp from I-16W to I-75S in Macon is signed as "Exit 0."

Roaddog

Feb 9, 2002, 5:18:13 AM2/9/02

>The ramp from I-16W to I-75S in Macon is signed as "Exit 0."

<ARG!!>

No it's not. It is signed as Exit 1.

Proof:
http://www.aaroadtrips.com/georgia/i-16_wb_exit-1_03.jpg