I-30 to... North Carolina?

Gary Leffo

Jul 15, 2005, 3:19:50 PM7/15/05
Portion of article from Shelby (NC?) Star

"Bypass linking to I-30?
Joy Scott
Star Staff Writer

SHELBY - A new interstate that could connect Asheville, Charlotte and
Wilmington - and loop in Shelby's proposed bypass - is in the
works.

It's called Interstate 30.

Bob Collier Jr., who represents Cleveland and four other counties on
the N.C. Board of Transportation mentioned the new initiative Wednesday
at a Cleveland County Transportation Partnership meeting at the
Cleveland County Chamber.

About an hour before the meeting, Collier received a fax from an N.C.
Department of Transportation official about the proposed I-30 project.

Right now, I-30 connects Little Rock, Ark., to Dallas, Texas, Collier
told The Star afterward. But the proposed project would extend it into
North Carolina and tie it in to the proposed U.S. 74 bypass below
Charlotte, said Collier.

Collier's fax projected it could be complete in 10 years. But, in his
opinion, "I think that's optimistic."

If the highway can get designated as an interstate, that could mean a
kick-in of federal dollars to help move it along, he said.

Overall, Collier thinks the project is "a wonderful idea."

How it would affect other scheduled projects - specifically, the
proposed bypass - wasn't addressed in the fax, he said.

The meeting's purpose was to discuss the Transportation Improvement
Plant, a schedule of projects that residents and DOT officials feel
need to be accomplished in the next seven years.

The final TIP for the next cycle is to be adopted July 7, said Collier.

Members of the transportation partnership voted Wednesday not to
request the existing U.S. 74 be widened from four lanes to six lanes.

The rationale is that money from the project might take away from other
projects.

"It's not practical to leave that on there," said Mike Holder,
Division 12 Transportation Engineer.

Disdain that the proposed U.S. 74 bypass had been delayed took up much
of the meeting.

"We all hate that your bypass has been put off," said Collier.

In other parts of the state, not having the bypass is creating a larger
headache for drivers.

Outside of Mooresville, U.S. 74 is a two-lane road close to a"

To read the last two words of this article, go to
http://www.shelbystar.com/portal/ASP/article.asp?ID=17088.

Gary V

Jul 15, 2005, 4:20:20 PM7/15/05
I-30? Bah. If there has to be another Interstate in NC, let's try
I-226 for this route (assuming it links I-26 with I-85). Or maybe
I-274, if it extends all the way along US-74 past Charlotte to meet
I-74 at Rockingham. Either one of them could lend more legitimacy to
26 and 74 being numbered as if they were E-W.

Or here's an idea. Let's call it US-74!

Brad B

Jul 15, 2005, 4:45:59 PM7/15/05

Why does it have to be I-30? There are so many numbers over that would fit
such as I-28, I-32, I-34, I-36, I-38, that we don't need to virtually
multiplex I-30 with I-40 for 600 miles. Assuming all of I-74 in N.C. gets
built, the only part that wouldn't be multiplexed with another interstate
would be the stretch between Columbus and Gastonia, and from Matthews to
Rockingham, which are about 50 miles each. I agree with Gary V., it should
stay as US 74 or the unmultiplexed parts could be 3dis.

Brad B

Rich Piehl

Jul 15, 2005, 7:30:00 PM7/15/05
Gary Leffo wrote:

> Right now, I-30 connects Little Rock, Ark., to Dallas, Texas, Collier
> told The Star afterward. But the proposed project would extend it into
> North Carolina and tie it in to the proposed U.S. 74 bypass below
> Charlotte, said Collier.

It's already completed. It's called I-40.

Take care,
Rich

God bless the USA

--
I just had one of those "what the hell am I doing?" moments.

-Adam Savage, Mythbuster

Jon Enslin

Jul 15, 2005, 8:14:02 PM7/15/05
"Gary Leffo" <glef...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Portion of article from Shelby (NC?) Star
>
> "Bypass linking to I-30?
> Joy Scott
> Star Staff Writer
>
> SHELBY - A new interstate that could connect Asheville, Charlotte and
> Wilmington - and loop in Shelby's proposed bypass - is in the
> works.
>
> It's called Interstate 30.

<snip>

I swear by the end of the next decade, North Carolina will find a way to get
I-5 extended to Charlotte.

Jon

John Lansford

Jul 15, 2005, 9:54:22 PM7/15/05
"Jon Enslin" <som...@somewhere.net> wrote:

AFAIK, there's no official support for either I-30 or I-3 in the
department. It certainly isn't going to be built (either one) in the
next ten years.

John Lansford, PE
--
The unofficial I-26 Construction Webpage:
http://users.vnet.net/lansford/a10/

Billy Riddle

Jul 15, 2005, 10:59:29 PM7/15/05
"John Lansford" <jlns...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> "Jon Enslin" <som...@somewhere.net> wrote:
>
>>"Gary Leffo" <glef...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Portion of article from Shelby (NC?) Star
>>>
>>> "Bypass linking to I-30?
>>> Joy Scott
>>> Star Staff Writer
>>>
>>> SHELBY - A new interstate that could connect Asheville, Charlotte and
>>> Wilmington - and loop in Shelby's proposed bypass - is in the
>>> works.
>>>
>>> It's called Interstate 30.
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>I swear by the end of the next decade, North Carolina will find a way to
>>get
>>I-5 extended to Charlotte.
>>
> AFAIK, there's no official support for either I-30 or I-3 in the
> department. It certainly isn't going to be built (either one) in the
> next ten years.

Not only that, but Tennessee will NOT co-sign I-30 with I-40 for 452 miles,
nor will it upgrade US 64 to I-standards.

--
-Billy

towelie

Jul 15, 2005, 11:25:11 PM7/15/05
TV's Gary Leffo wrote:
> Portion of article from Shelby (NC?) Star
>
> "Bypass linking to I-30?
> Joy Scott
> Star Staff Writer
>
> SHELBY - A new interstate that could connect Asheville, Charlotte and
> Wilmington - and loop in Shelby's proposed bypass - is in the
> works.
>
> It's called Interstate 30.

Not gonna happen. AHTD has plans to call US 67 "I-30" and I see no reason
AASHTO won't approve their request.

US 71

Jul 16, 2005, 12:23:24 AM7/16/05

"towelie" <bugoN...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

.

> Not gonna happen. AHTD has plans to call US 67 "I-30" and I see no reason
> AASHTO won't approve their request.

Let NC have I-238 ;)

MC Pee Pants

Jul 16, 2005, 4:06:58 AM7/16/05

Really...they took US 64 and I-540 from us, they need to leave I-30 alone!

--

Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning.
A non-functioning mind is clinically dead. Believe in nothing.

MC Pee Pants

Jul 16, 2005, 4:16:05 AM7/16/05
TV's Gary Leffo wrote:
> Portion of article from Shelby (NC?) Star
>
> "Bypass linking to I-30?
> Joy Scott
> Star Staff Writer
>
> SHELBY - A new interstate that could connect Asheville, Charlotte and
> Wilmington - and loop in Shelby's proposed bypass - is in the
> works.
>
> It's called Interstate 30.

No, it's called US 74.

If NCDOT thinks AHTD and TNDOT is going to sign I-30 over I-40 from North
Little Rock to Asheville, and NCDOT on I-40 to Asheville and on I-26 to
Columbus, a distance of almost 600 miles, they must be smoking sherm
(N.S.C.) The overall distance of the overlaps with I-40 and I-26 comes up
to right at 666 miles on SA2003. Coincidence?

> Bob Collier Jr., who represents Cleveland and four other counties on
> the N.C. Board of Transportation mentioned the new initiative Wednesday
> at a Cleveland County Transportation Partnership meeting at the
> Cleveland County Chamber.
>
> About an hour before the meeting, Collier received a fax from an N.C.
> Department of Transportation official about the proposed I-30 project.
>
> Right now, I-30 connects Little Rock, Ark., to Dallas, Texas, Collier
> told The Star afterward. But the proposed project would extend it into
> North Carolina and tie it in to the proposed U.S. 74 bypass below
> Charlotte, said Collier.
>
> Collier's fax projected it could be complete in 10 years. But, in his
> opinion, "I think that's optimistic."
>
> If the highway can get designated as an interstate, that could mean a
> kick-in of federal dollars to help move it along, he said.
>
> Overall, Collier thinks the project is "a wonderful idea."

Sure, 4 lane US 74. If you must give it the shiny RWB signs, then call it
I-32 and be done with it.

John Lansford

Jul 16, 2005, 7:10:35 AM7/16/05
"MC Pee Pants" <watNOS...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>TV's Gary Leffo wrote:
>> Portion of article from Shelby (NC?) Star
>>
>> "Bypass linking to I-30?
>> Joy Scott
>> Star Staff Writer
>>
>> SHELBY - A new interstate that could connect Asheville, Charlotte and
>> Wilmington - and loop in Shelby's proposed bypass - is in the
>> works.
>>
>> It's called Interstate 30.
>
>No, it's called US 74.
>
>If NCDOT thinks AHTD and TNDOT is going to sign I-30 over I-40 from North
>Little Rock to Asheville, and NCDOT on I-40 to Asheville and on I-26 to
>Columbus, a distance of almost 600 miles, they must be smoking sherm
>(N.S.C.) The overall distance of the overlaps with I-40 and I-26 comes up
>to right at 666 miles on SA2003. Coincidence?

Note that no NCDOT official was mentioned in that article. It's all
about politicians and their desire to name every four lane freeway an
interstate, thinking that magical name change makes their
town/city/county more economically desirable than if it were on a US
route.

>> Bob Collier Jr., who represents Cleveland and four other counties on
>> the N.C. Board of Transportation mentioned the new initiative Wednesday
>> at a Cleveland County Transportation Partnership meeting at the
>> Cleveland County Chamber.
>>
>> About an hour before the meeting, Collier received a fax from an N.C.
>> Department of Transportation official about the proposed I-30 project.
>>
>> Right now, I-30 connects Little Rock, Ark., to Dallas, Texas, Collier
>> told The Star afterward. But the proposed project would extend it into
>> North Carolina and tie it in to the proposed U.S. 74 bypass below
>> Charlotte, said Collier.
>>
>> Collier's fax projected it could be complete in 10 years. But, in his
>> opinion, "I think that's optimistic."
>>
>> If the highway can get designated as an interstate, that could mean a
>> kick-in of federal dollars to help move it along, he said.
>>
>> Overall, Collier thinks the project is "a wonderful idea."
>
>Sure, 4 lane US 74. If you must give it the shiny RWB signs, then call it
>I-32 and be done with it.

US 74 is being four laned, and in many areas in NC it is being built
to freeway or interstate standards. Not the entire route, however,
especially in the mountains.

US 71

Jul 16, 2005, 11:55:34 AM7/16/05

> Note that no NCDOT official was mentioned in that article. It's all
> about politicians and their desire to name every four lane freeway an
> interstate, thinking that magical name change makes their
> town/city/county more economically desirable than if it were on a US
> route.

Sounds like Arkansas. The north leg of I-540 was supposed to be US 71 and
I-530 should be US 65

Message has been deleted

US 71

Jul 17, 2005, 2:03:14 AM7/17/05

"Mike Reaser" <m...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Yabbut -- run I-30 from Memphis eastbound concurrent with I-22, then take
> it thru Decatur and Huntsville, over US 72 to I-24 (perhaps a new
> southern,
> er, eastern terminus for I-24?), then on to Chattanooga, concurrent with
> I-75 to Knoxville, *then* multiplex with I-40 eastward to Asheville.

US 78 (future I-22) is still at-grade to the MS State Line. They'll have to
try to bypass the whole section somehow.

Let 'em have I-32 if they want a 3x number.

OR: give them a route that branches off Kentucky's future I-66... maybe
something starting with a "6" ;)

The Chief Instigator

Jul 18, 2005, 12:58:10 AM7/18/05
"US 71" <us...@sbcglobal.net> writes:

Start it from I-16 in Savannah and make it a 3di that ends at another
Interstate: I-616, the Highway to Hell...;-)

--
Patrick "The Chief Instigator" Humphrey (pat...@io.com) Houston, Texas
chiefinstigator.us.tt/aeros.php (TCI's 2005-06 Houston Aeros)

Magyar

Jul 18, 2005, 2:32:47 AM7/18/05
"The Chief Instigator" <pat...@io.com> wrote in message

> "US 71" <us...@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>

>>"Mike Reaser" <m...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>
>>> Yabbut -- run I-30 from Memphis eastbound concurrent with I-22, then
>>> take
>>> it thru Decatur and Huntsville, over US 72 to I-24 (perhaps a new
>>> southern,
>>> er, eastern terminus for I-24?), then on to Chattanooga, concurrent with
>>> I-75 to Knoxville, *then* multiplex with I-40 eastward to Asheville.
>
>>US 78 (future I-22) is still at-grade to the MS State Line. They'll have
>>try to bypass the whole section somehow.
>
>>Let 'em have I-32 if they want a 3x number.
>
>>OR: give them a route that branches off Kentucky's future I-66... maybe
>>something starting with a "6" ;)
>
> Start it from I-16 in Savannah and make it a 3di that ends at another
> Interstate: I-616, the Highway to Hell...;-)

I did stumble upon an article in the Baton Rouge paper....from Feburary,
1975 about petitioning FHWA for a proposed freeway running from Kansas City
to Georgia (along with another freeway from Kansas City to BR, sort of a
forerunner to I-49)

> --
> Patrick "The Chief Instigator" Humphrey (pat...@io.com) Houston, Texas
> chiefinstigator.us.tt/aeros.php (TCI's 2005-06 Houston Aeros)
> LAST GAME: Chicago 5, Houston 3 (April 26)
> NEXT GAME: Date/opponent/site TBA in August 2005

--
Sandor Gulyas
Graduate Student - Louisiana St. University

"Many people talking
But a mighty few people know"
-- Alick "Rice" Miller (aka Sunny Boy Williamson [II]) from Dissatisfied

Gary V

Jul 18, 2005, 12:11:55 PM7/18/05
US 71 wrote:
> Let NC have I-238 ;)

Let the upgraded US-74 be I-38. That'll legitimize the CA I-238. Now
instead of being a spur of a non-existant main route, it'll just be a
spur 2500 miles separated from it's parent! Sounds like a solution to
me.

Adam Prince

Jul 18, 2005, 1:21:09 PM7/18/05

Gary Leffo wrote:
> Portion of article from Shelby (NC?) Star
>
> "Bypass linking to I-30?
> Joy Scott
> Star Staff Writer
>
> SHELBY - A new interstate that could connect Asheville, Charlotte and
> Wilmington - and loop in Shelby's proposed bypass - is in the
> works.
>
> It's called Interstate 30.

I don't know what is goofier, this 'idea' (it's not even a proposal or
anything) or some of the far fetched ones readers of this forum can
come up with.

The Chief Instigator

Jul 19, 2005, 1:20:55 AM7/19/05
"Magyar" <sgu...@lsu.edu> writes:

>"The Chief Instigator" <pat...@io.com> wrote in message
>> "US 71" <us...@sbcglobal.net> writes:

>>>"Mike Reaser" <m...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

>>>US 78 (future I-22) is still at-grade to the MS State Line. They'll have to
>>>try to bypass the whole section somehow.

>>>Let 'em have I-32 if they want a 3x number.

>>>OR: give them a route that branches off Kentucky's future I-66... maybe
>>>something starting with a "6" ;)

>> Start it from I-16 in Savannah and make it a 3di that ends at another
>> Interstate: I-616, the Highway to Hell...;-)

>I did stumble upon an article in the Baton Rouge paper....from Feburary,
>1975 about petitioning FHWA for a proposed freeway running from Kansas City
>to Georgia (along with another freeway from Kansas City to BR, sort of a
>forerunner to I-49)

KC to Georgia would be doable these days, obviously - all that would be needed
is a diagonal down to Springfield, then along the US 60 corridor (and a small
stretch of existing I-57, with a new Mississippi crossing into Kentucky) to
I-24 near Paducah...presto! I-24 hits the northwest corner of Georgia barely
90 minutes away from Five Points.

MC Pee Pants

Jul 19, 2005, 2:11:51 AM7/19/05
TV's The Chief Instigator wrote:
> KC to Georgia would be doable these days, obviously - all that would be
> needed
> is a diagonal down to Springfield, then along the US 60 corridor (and a
> small
> stretch of existing I-57, with a new Mississippi crossing into Kentucky)
> I-24 near Paducah...presto! I-24 hits the northwest corner of Georgia
> barely
> 90 minutes away from Five Points.

A diagonal route from Kansas City to the southeast corner of the state is
sorely needed. I'd like to see a mostly new terrain route, beginning at the
I-470/US 50/MO 350 interchange in Lees Summit. It would follow US 50 to
Warrensburg where it would branch off to the south. It would meet US 65
near Cole Camp and US 54 north of Osage Beach. It would meet I-44 east of
Jerome, overlap I-44 to just west of Rolla, then split off to the south of
Rolla. It would run to the east of MO 19 and head east just north of the
Current River, through Ellington, meeting US 60 to the east of Van Buren.
From here, it would follow US 60 to I-55 in Sikeston.

MC Pee Pants

Jul 19, 2005, 2:33:19 AM7/19/05
TV's MC Pee Pants wrote:
> TV's The Chief Instigator wrote:
>> KC to Georgia would be doable these days, obviously - all that would be
>> needed
>> is a diagonal down to Springfield, then along the US 60 corridor (and a
>> small
>> stretch of existing I-57, with a new Mississippi crossing into Kentucky)
>> I-24 near Paducah...presto! I-24 hits the northwest corner of Georgia
>> barely
>> 90 minutes away from Five Points.
>
> A diagonal route from Kansas City to the southeast corner of the state is
> sorely needed. I'd like to see a mostly new terrain route, beginning at
> the
> I-470/US 50/MO 350 interchange in Lees Summit. It would follow US 50 to
> Warrensburg where it would branch off to the south. It would meet US 65
> near Cole Camp and US 54 north of Osage Beach. It would meet I-44 east of
> Jerome, overlap I-44 to just west of Rolla, then split off to the south of
> Rolla. It would run to the east of MO 19 and head east just north of the
> Current River, through Ellington, meeting US 60 to the east of Van Buren.
> From here, it would follow US 60 to I-55 in Sikeston.

Also, an I-555 extension could tie into this freeway near Van Buren,
creating a much more direct route from Kansas City to Memphis.

What number for the KC-Sikeston freeway? I-46?

The Chief Instigator

Jul 19, 2005, 2:38:50 AM7/19/05
"MC Pee Pants" <watNOS...@yahoo.com> writes:

>TV's The Chief Instigator wrote:

>> KC to Georgia would be doable these days, obviously - all that would be
>> needed is a diagonal down to Springfield, then along the US 60 corridor
>> (and a small stretch of existing I-57, with a new Mississippi crossing into
>> Kentucky) to I-24 near Paducah...presto! I-24 hits the northwest corner of
>> Georgia barely 90 minutes away from Five Points.

>A diagonal route from Kansas City to the southeast corner of the state is
>sorely needed. I'd like to see a mostly new terrain route, beginning at the
>I-470/US 50/MO 350 interchange in Lees Summit. It would follow US 50 to
>Warrensburg where it would branch off to the south. It would meet US 65 near
>Cole Camp and US 54 north of Osage Beach. It would meet I-44 east of Jerome,
>overlap I-44 to just west of Rolla, then split off to the south of Rolla. It
>would run to the east of MO 19 and head east just north of the Current River,
>through Ellington, meeting US 60 to the east of Van Buren. From here, it would
>follow US 60 to I-55 in Sikeston.

That looks doable on a map, but from the one time I've been down across Lake
of the Ozarks on US 54, it'd have to basically shadow MO 52 from around Cole
Camp to Tuscumbia (and then MO 17 down to around Iberia). Aside from that,
it's pretty straightforward.