List of Interstate tunnels

Grover

Oct 9, 2002, 6:14:55 PM10/9/02
Due to their cost and maintenance, highway tunnels tend to be few and far
between when compared to bridges or viaducts. They are rare enough, in fact,
that all of the Interstate tunnels can be listed here.

2di:
I-64: Hampton Roads
I-64/77: WV Turnpike Memorial. 2-lane. Bypassed in 1987
I-70: Eisenhower, Twin (at Clear Creek Canyon, CO), Wheeling (2-lane),
Allegheny Mtn
I-76: Tuscarora Mtn, Kittatiny Mtn, Blue Mtn. Also Allegheny Mtn. (3 others
were bypassed in the 1960s)
[Note: The Allegheny Mtn. is slated by the PA Turnpike Commission to be
bypassed]
I-90: Ted Williams
I-93: Big Dig/Central Artery replacement, under construction
I-95: Fort McHenry. Has four parallel 2-lane tubes.

3di:
I-278: Brooklyn-Battery
I-279: Fort Pitt
I-376: Squirrel Hill
I-395: Third Street (Washington, DC). Some of the access routes to I-395 are
tunnels themselves.
I-476: Lehigh
I-495: Queens-Midtown
I-664: Monitor-Merrimac
I-895: (Baltimore) Harbor

Very short; some of these might just be long overpasses:

I-10: tunnel at end of highway in Santa Monica
I-66: Rosslyn
I-71/US-50: Cincinnati riverfront?
I-75: under Peachtree St in downtown Atlanta
I-75/285: a single-lane tunnel is part of the northern interchange

Some notable non-interstate highway tunnels:

- Lincoln and Holland. NYC also has a short tunnel leading from the FDR Drive
to West St near the WTC site. As well as one under Park Ave. on a former
railroad bed south of Grand Central.
- Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (US-13)
- Liberty Tunnels -- aka "Liberty Tubes" by the Pittsburgh locals.
- "Tunnel to Canada" -- from Detroit to Windsor.
- 2 new tunnels in Trenton, NJ (US-29) and Atlantic City.
- Road tunnel in downtown Pittsburgh?
- Alaska has modified a long railroad tunnel for use by trains or highway
traffic (at different times, of course). Single lane.

The Plague

Oct 9, 2002, 6:21:03 PM10/9/02
you left out the I-40 tunnels in western NC and in Tennesee
"Grover" <bbwma...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message

Arif Khokar

Oct 9, 2002, 6:31:57 PM10/9/02
Grover wrote:
> Due to their cost and maintenance, highway tunnels tend to be few and far
> between when compared to bridges or viaducts. They are rare enough, in fact,
> that all of the Interstate tunnels can be listed here.

<snip>

> I-64/77: WV Turnpike Memorial. 2-lane. Bypassed in 1987

You left out the East River Mountain and Big Walker Mountain Tunnels
further south on I-77 in VA.

Scott M. Kozel

Oct 9, 2002, 6:46:36 PM10/9/02
bbwma...@aol.comnospam (Grover) wrote:

> Due to their cost and maintenance, highway tunnels tend to be few and far
> between when compared to bridges or viaducts. They are rare enough, in fact,
> that all of the Interstate tunnels can be listed here.
>
> 2di:
> I-64: Hampton Roads
> I-64/77: WV Turnpike Memorial. 2-lane. Bypassed in 1987
> I-70: Eisenhower, Twin (at Clear Creek Canyon, CO), Wheeling (2-lane),
> Allegheny Mtn
> I-76: Tuscarora Mtn, Kittatiny Mtn, Blue Mtn. Also Allegheny Mtn. (3 others
> were bypassed in the 1960s)
> [Note: The Allegheny Mtn. is slated by the PA Turnpike Commission to be
> bypassed]
> I-90: Ted Williams
> I-93: Big Dig/Central Artery replacement, under construction
> I-95: Fort McHenry. Has four parallel 2-lane tubes.

Virginia -

I-77 Big Walker Mountain Tunnel
I-77 East River Mountain Tunnel

> 3di:
> I-278: Brooklyn-Battery
> I-279: Fort Pitt
> I-376: Squirrel Hill
> I-395: Third Street (Washington, DC). Some of the access routes to I-395 are
> tunnels themselves.
> I-476: Lehigh
> I-495: Queens-Midtown
> I-664: Monitor-Merrimac
> I-895: (Baltimore) Harbor

I-264 Downtown Tunnel, Norfolk-Portsmouth VA

> Very short; some of these might just be long overpasses:
>
> I-10: tunnel at end of highway in Santa Monica
> I-66: Rosslyn

It is a 900-foot-long cut-and-cover tunnel

> Some notable non-interstate highway tunnels:
>
> - Lincoln and Holland. NYC also has a short tunnel leading from the FDR Drive
> to West St near the WTC site. As well as one under Park Ave. on a former
> railroad bed south of Grand Central.
> - Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (US-13)

Midtown Tunnel, Norfolk-Portsmouth VA

--
Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites
Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C. http://www.roadstothefuture.com

Bryan Bethea

Oct 9, 2002, 6:50:11 PM10/9/02
I-10 passes under the Mobile River in twin tubes and surfaces onto a long
bridge over Mobile Bay. (Mobile, Alabama)

Bryan Bethea
Pensacola, FL

xganon

Oct 9, 2002, 7:01:13 PM10/9/02

"Grover" <bbwma...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
> Due to their cost and maintenance, highway tunnels tend to be few and far
> between when compared to bridges or viaducts. They are rare enough, in
fact,
> that all of the Interstate tunnels can be listed here.

I-540 goes through a tunnel near Winslow, AR.

Sherman Cahal

Oct 9, 2002, 7:19:15 PM10/9/02
> Due to their cost and maintenance, highway tunnels tend to be few and far
> between when compared to bridges or viaducts. They are rare enough, in
fact,
> that all of the Interstate tunnels can be listed here.

Not all of them...

> 2di:
> I-64: Hampton Roads
> I-64/77: WV Turnpike Memorial. 2-lane. Bypassed in 1987
> I-70: Eisenhower, Twin (at Clear Creek Canyon, CO), Wheeling (2-lane),
> Allegheny Mtn
> I-76: Tuscarora Mtn, Kittatiny Mtn, Blue Mtn. Also Allegheny Mtn. (3
others
> were bypassed in the 1960s)
> [Note: The Allegheny Mtn. is slated by the PA Turnpike Commission to be
> bypassed]
> I-90: Ted Williams
> I-93: Big Dig/Central Artery replacement, under construction
> I-95: Fort McHenry. Has four parallel 2-lane tubes.

I-77: E. River Mtn. and Big Walker Mountain in Virginia.

> Some notable non-interstate highway tunnels:
>
> - Lincoln and Holland. NYC also has a short tunnel leading from the FDR
Drive
> to West St near the WTC site. As well as one under Park Ave. on a former
> railroad bed south of Grand Central.
> - Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (US-13)
> - Liberty Tunnels -- aka "Liberty Tubes" by the Pittsburgh locals.
> - "Tunnel to Canada" -- from Detroit to Windsor.
> - 2 new tunnels in Trenton, NJ (US-29) and Atlantic City.
> - Road tunnel in downtown Pittsburgh?
> - Alaska has modified a long railroad tunnel for use by trains or highway
> traffic (at different times, of course). Single lane.

The future US 119 tunnel, which will be the second longest vehicular tunnel
in the United States, will start construction within 1-3 years in Kentucky.
It will be 2 lane and connect the seperate four lane segments of the
corridor highway.

Kevin Trichtinger

Oct 9, 2002, 7:21:59 PM10/9/02
bbwma...@aol.comnospam (Grover) wrote:

>Some notable non-interstate highway tunnels:

<snip>

>- Road tunnel in downtown Pittsburgh?

Not exactly downtown, but the one under Duquesne University is the Armstrong
Tunnel. I don't know of any significant tunnels downtown.

Peace
Kevin
Peace
Kevin

Michael Moroney

Oct 9, 2002, 7:24:35 PM10/9/02
bbwma...@aol.comnospam (Grover) writes:

>I-90: Ted Williams

In a couple of months.

>Some notable non-interstate highway tunnels:

>- Lincoln and Holland. NYC also has a short tunnel leading from the FDR Drive

Holland is I-78. Lincoln is former I-495.
The Brooklyn Battery Tunnel is (secret) I-478.

Do the three long underpasses under parks on I-694 in Detroit count
as (short) tunnels?

-Mike

Neil A. Bratney

Oct 9, 2002, 7:31:44 PM10/9/02
It seems like Grover has left out quite a few tunnels. To add to his
list:

I-90: Seattle and Mercer Island tunnels.
I-80 in Wyoming and Nevada.
and how about the Hawaii Interstates?

Grover

Oct 9, 2002, 8:16:53 PM10/9/02
>Not exactly downtown, but the one under Duquesne University is the Armstrong
>Tunnel. I don't know of any significant tunnels downtown.

That's the one I was thinking of!

Oscar Voss

Oct 9, 2002, 9:00:55 PM10/9/02

Interstate H-3 has two sets of tunnels, the John A. Burns (formerly
Tetsuo Harano) tunnels about a mile long through the Koolau Range, and
the shorter Hospital Rock tunnels to the east.

Interstate H-1 has one tunnel, the short Middle Street Tunnel (eastbound
only) just before H-1 rejoins the Moanalua Freeway (HI 78/unsigned
Interstate H-201).

--
Oscar Voss - Arlington, Virginia - ov...@erols.com

my Hot Springs and Highways pages: http://users.erols.com/ovoss/

mj...@duke.edu

Oct 9, 2002, 9:28:41 PM10/9/02
On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Scott M. Kozel wrote:

> bbwma...@aol.comnospam (Grover) wrote:
> >
> > Due to their cost and maintenance, highway tunnels tend to be few and far
> > between when compared to bridges or viaducts. They are rare enough, in fact,
> > that all of the Interstate tunnels can be listed here.
> >
> > 2di:
> > I-64: Hampton Roads
> > I-64/77: WV Turnpike Memorial. 2-lane. Bypassed in 1987
> > I-70: Eisenhower, Twin (at Clear Creek Canyon, CO), Wheeling (2-lane),
> > Allegheny Mtn
> > I-76: Tuscarora Mtn, Kittatiny Mtn, Blue Mtn. Also Allegheny Mtn. (3 others
> > were bypassed in the 1960s)
> > [Note: The Allegheny Mtn. is slated by the PA Turnpike Commission to be
> > bypassed]
> > I-90: Ted Williams
> > I-93: Big Dig/Central Artery replacement, under construction
> > I-95: Fort McHenry. Has four parallel 2-lane tubes.

I-70 has quite a few more tunnels in Colorado, probably 6 or so throughout
the state. Also, the Wheeling Tunnel is 4 lanes....even though only 2 of
them can be used by I-70 thru traffic, the other two are still part of the
Tunnel facility and still part of I-70.

Also I-80 has tunnels in Green River, WY and west of Elko, NV.

> Virginia -
>
> I-77 Big Walker Mountain Tunnel
> I-77 East River Mountain Tunnel
>
> > 3di:
> > I-278: Brooklyn-Battery
> > I-279: Fort Pitt
> > I-376: Squirrel Hill
> > I-395: Third Street (Washington, DC). Some of the access routes to I-395 are
> > tunnels themselves.
> > I-476: Lehigh
> > I-495: Queens-Midtown
> > I-664: Monitor-Merrimac
> > I-895: (Baltimore) Harbor
>
> I-264 Downtown Tunnel, Norfolk-Portsmouth VA

Brooklyn Battery Tunnel is unsigned I-478, not I-278.

Queens Midtown Tunnel is signed as I-495, but it technically not an
interstate...it is NY 495 signed as I-495 to avoid confusion.

> > Very short; some of these might just be long overpasses:
> >
> > I-10: tunnel at end of highway in Santa Monica
> > I-66: Rosslyn

Heck, if long underpasses count, i'll throw in a couple of those:

I-95 in NYC "under the Apartments" (The Trans Manhattan Expressway)

I-90 in Boston under Prudential Center

I-95 in Fort Lee, NJ....the approaches to the Lower level only of the GWB.

> It is a 900-foot-long cut-and-cover tunnel
>
> > Some notable non-interstate highway tunnels:
> >
> > - Lincoln and Holland. NYC also has a short tunnel leading from the FDR Drive
> > to West St near the WTC site. As well as one under Park Ave. on a former
> > railroad bed south of Grand Central.
> > - Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (US-13)
>
> Midtown Tunnel, Norfolk-Portsmouth VA

Also in NYC, there are several on FDR drive under Gracie Mansion, and the
UN...although that might not be fully enclosed. There is the first Ave
Tunnel as well.

mj...@duke.edu

Oct 9, 2002, 9:34:53 PM10/9/02

Sherman, where exactly on 119 will this be? Like do you know what county?

Chris Bessert

Oct 9, 2002, 9:45:35 PM10/9/02
Michael Moroney wrote:

> Do the three long underpasses under parks on I-694 in Detroit count
> as (short) tunnels?

I-696.

Later,
Chris

--
Chris Bessert
Bess...@aol.com

Sherman Cahal

Oct 9, 2002, 9:45:20 PM10/9/02
> > > Some notable non-interstate highway tunnels:
> > >
> > > - Lincoln and Holland. NYC also has a short tunnel leading from the
FDR
> > Drive
> > > to West St near the WTC site. As well as one under Park Ave. on a
former
> > > railroad bed south of Grand Central.
> > > - Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (US-13)
> > > - Liberty Tunnels -- aka "Liberty Tubes" by the Pittsburgh locals.
> > > - "Tunnel to Canada" -- from Detroit to Windsor.
> > > - 2 new tunnels in Trenton, NJ (US-29) and Atlantic City.
> > > - Road tunnel in downtown Pittsburgh?
> > > - Alaska has modified a long railroad tunnel for use by trains or
highway
> > > traffic (at different times, of course). Single lane.
> >
> > The future US 119 tunnel, which will be the second longest vehicular
tunnel
> > in the United States, will start construction within 1-3 years in
Kentucky.
> > It will be 2 lane and connect the seperate four lane segments of the
> > corridor highway.
> >

> Sherman, where exactly on 119 will this be? Like do you know what county?

http://www.cahaltech.com/~roads/page.php3?page=roads_us121_wv shows a
general map. The tunnel will be located over Pine Mountain in Pike County.
It's in the first "dotted" "proposed" routes coming off of US 23 to West
Virginia.

Joe Rouse

Oct 9, 2002, 9:51:10 PM10/9/02

Grover <bbwma...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
> Due to their cost and maintenance, highway tunnels tend to be few and far
> between when compared to bridges or viaducts. They are rare enough, in
fact,
> that all of the Interstate tunnels can be listed here.
>
> 2di:

Don't forget the tunnel on Yerba Buena Island on I-80 as part of the Bay
Bridge complex.

Isn't there a tunnel on 90-94 near downtown Chicago?

Do I-35 in Duluth and I-5 in Seattle count?

> 3di:
> I-278: Brooklyn-Battery
> I-279: Fort Pitt
> I-376: Squirrel Hill
> I-395: Third Street (Washington, DC). Some of the access routes to I-395
are
> tunnels themselves.
> I-476: Lehigh
> I-495: Queens-Midtown
> I-664: Monitor-Merrimac
> I-895: (Baltimore) Harbor
>
> Very short; some of these might just be long overpasses:
>
> I-10: tunnel at end of highway in Santa Monica
> I-66: Rosslyn
> I-71/US-50: Cincinnati riverfront?
> I-75: under Peachtree St in downtown Atlanta
> I-75/285: a single-lane tunnel is part of the northern interchange

SB lanes of I-280 go through a tunnel at the CA-1/John Daly Blvd interchange
at the southern edge of San Francisco.

> Some notable non-interstate highway tunnels:
>
> - Lincoln and Holland. NYC also has a short tunnel leading from the FDR
Drive
> to West St near the WTC site. As well as one under Park Ave. on a former
> railroad bed south of Grand Central.
> - Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (US-13)
> - Liberty Tunnels -- aka "Liberty Tubes" by the Pittsburgh locals.
> - "Tunnel to Canada" -- from Detroit to Windsor.
> - 2 new tunnels in Trenton, NJ (US-29) and Atlantic City.
> - Road tunnel in downtown Pittsburgh?
> - Alaska has modified a long railroad tunnel for use by trains or highway
> traffic (at different times, of course). Single lane.

There's also the Posey and Webster tubes connecting Oakland, CA with
Alameda.

Steve

Oct 9, 2002, 10:04:44 PM10/9/02
Grover wrote:

> Due to their cost and maintenance, highway tunnels tend to be few and far
> between when compared to bridges or viaducts. They are rare enough, in fact,
> that all of the Interstate tunnels can be listed here.
>
> 2di:
> I-64: Hampton Roads
> I-64/77: WV Turnpike Memorial. 2-lane. Bypassed in 1987
> I-70: Eisenhower, Twin (at Clear Creek Canyon, CO), Wheeling (2-lane),
> Allegheny Mtn
> I-76: Tuscarora Mtn, Kittatiny Mtn, Blue Mtn. Also Allegheny Mtn. (3 others
> were bypassed in the 1960s)
> [Note: The Allegheny Mtn. is slated by the PA Turnpike Commission to be
> bypassed]
As mentioned, I-78 Holland Tunnel
> I-90: Ted Williams
Also a pair of tunnels in western Mass.

> I-93: Big Dig/Central Artery replacement, under construction
> I-95: Fort McHenry. Has four parallel 2-lane tubes.
>
> 3di:
> I-278: Brooklyn-Battery
I-478 you mean. I-278 doesn't tunnel. It stacks on itself south of the
Brooklyn Bridge though.

> I-279: Fort Pitt
> I-376: Squirrel Hill
> I-395: Third Street (Washington, DC). Some of the access routes to I-395 are
> tunnels themselves.
> I-476: Lehigh
> I-495: Queens-Midtown
I thought this is officially NY 495 now. Even though signage sure
lies...

> I-664: Monitor-Merrimac
> I-895: (Baltimore) Harbor
>
> Very short; some of these might just be long overpasses:
>
> I-10: tunnel at end of highway in Santa Monica
> I-66: Rosslyn
> I-71/US-50: Cincinnati riverfront?
> I-75: under Peachtree St in downtown Atlanta
> I-75/285: a single-lane tunnel is part of the northern interchange
A-720, Montreal - it's like an Interstate...

> Some notable non-interstate highway tunnels:
>
> - Lincoln and Holland. NYC also has a short tunnel leading from the FDR Drive
> to West St near the WTC site. As well as one under Park Ave. on a former
> railroad bed south of Grand Central.
The first one is to duck under (!) the BBT I-478. FDR also tunnels
under the UN building, which is fairly notable.

> - Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (US-13)
> - Liberty Tunnels -- aka "Liberty Tubes" by the Pittsburgh locals.
> - "Tunnel to Canada" -- from Detroit to Windsor.
> - 2 new tunnels in Trenton, NJ (US-29) and Atlantic City.
NJ 29... :P

> - Road tunnel in downtown Pittsburgh?
> - Alaska has modified a long railroad tunnel for use by trains or highway
> traffic (at different times, of course). Single lane.
There are of course those outside the continent (several in France I've
traveled through).
--
Steve from New Jersey
Civil Engineering (Course 1) at MIT

Exile on Market Street

Oct 9, 2002, 10:19:31 PM10/9/02
mj...@duke.edu wrote:

Oops! Snipped the original list of Interstate tunnels. The original
poster also left out a tunnel in central Minneapolis on I-94.

>>>Some notable non-interstate highway tunnels:
>>>
>>>- Lincoln and Holland. NYC also has a short tunnel leading from the FDR Drive
>>>to West St near the WTC site. As well as one under Park Ave. on a former
>>>railroad bed south of Grand Central.
>>>- Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (US-13)
>>
>>Midtown Tunnel, Norfolk-Portsmouth VA

Also in this category:

Sumner and Callahan Tunnels, Boston
Storrow Drive, eastbound only, from Exeter St to Embankment Road, Boston
(cut and cover)
West Hill (not sure this is correct name) Tunnel, Wilbur Cross Pkwy,
West Haven, CT
Hill Street Tunnels, Pasadena Fwy, Los Angeles

> Also in NYC, there are several on FDR drive under Gracie Mansion, and the
> UN...although that might not be fully enclosed. There is the first Ave
> Tunnel as well.

Well, if the decks over the FDR Drive count, then so should the Chestnut
Street and Dock/Spruce Street decks over I-95 in central Philadelphia.
(In the case of the Dock/Spruce Street deck, I-95 is actually below
grade; the deck at Chestnut Street is just above grade with Front
Street, but the highway is at grade with Delaware Ave on its opposite side.)

Ditto the deck over the Schuylkill Expressway from Walnut Street to 30th
St Station.

And what then of Seattle's "Freeway Park" over I-5? Or Chicago's Lower
Wacker Drive? (See where this is going? I think you opened a can of
worms. Of all the structures I've listed above, the only one I'd
consider a tunnel is the Dock/Spruce St stretch of I-95.)

--
Sandy Smith, Exile on Market Street, Philadelphia smi...@pobox.upenn.edu
Managing Editor, _Penn Current_ cur...@pobox.upenn.edu

"I have heard it said that no good deed goes unpunished, but I don't
intend to let that discourage me."
---------------------Walter Annenberg (1908-2002), on his philanthropy--

Pete Jenior

Oct 9, 2002, 10:14:19 PM10/9/02

"Sherman Cahal" <she...@cahaltech.com> wrote in message
Adding to this, it will "bypass"/go under the place where 119 currently
crosses Pine Mountain. 119 is still on its original alignment here IIRC and
trucks are banned from using it. This is basically the one obstacle to
making 119 a major through road in the area. Pine Mountain is over 100
miles long and has only one gap in it (at Pineville KY, where US 25E goes
through the gap) It is the same mountain I-75 crosses for 17 miles or so
near Jellico.
-Pete

Pete Jenior

Oct 9, 2002, 10:15:34 PM10/9/02

> Isn't there a tunnel on 90-94 near downtown Chicago?

The end of I-290/ Eisenhower expressway feeding into downtown goes under the
main post office.
-Pete

Pete Jenior

Oct 9, 2002, 10:19:24 PM10/9/02

> I-71/US-50: Cincinnati riverfront?

Yes this actually is a tunnel. It's called the Lytle Tunnel. It goes under
a small urban park (Lytle Park), the only remaining houses I know of in
downtown Cincinnati (very nice), and a home that once belonged to the Taft
family (as in the President) and is now a museum. No idea why they tunneled
instead of cutting a "trench" type road. Also, it is only I-71 as US 50
leaves in an interchange just south of the tunnel.

> I-75: under Peachtree St in downtown Atlanta

I'd call it a long overpass

> I-75/285: a single-lane tunnel is part of the northern interchange

I need to check this put some day

-Pete

Raymond Chuang

Oct 9, 2002, 10:44:16 PM10/9/02
"Joe Rouse" <es...@lanset.com> wrote in message

> SB lanes of I-280 go through a tunnel at the CA-1/John Daly Blvd
interchange
> at the southern edge of San Francisco.

I'm surprised no one here mentioned the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge
bi-level tunnel through Yerba Buena Island--the Bay Bridge is part of
Interstate 80.

--
Raymond Chuang
Mountain View, CA USA

Kevin Robokoff

Oct 9, 2002, 11:02:07 PM10/9/02
bbwma...@aol.comnospam (Grover) wrote in message news:<20021009181455...@mb-mq.aol.com>...

I-35 in Duluth, MN has a tunnel in the downtown area just before it
ends. It goes under various surface streets and businesses.

Kevin

Peter E. Misisco

Oct 10, 2002, 12:20:27 AM10/10/02
Some other non-interstate tunnels:

There is one tunnel on Skyline Drive in Virginia, and several along the
Blue Ridge Parkway.

Also, in DC there is a short tunnel on the E Street expressway.

Pete Misisco
Alexandria, VA

Kevin Flynn

Oct 10, 2002, 12:45:21 AM10/10/02
bbwma...@aol.comnospam (Grover) wrote in message news:<20021009181455...@mb-mq.aol.com>...
> Due to their cost and maintenance, highway tunnels tend to be few and far
> between when compared to bridges or viaducts. They are rare enough, in fact,
> that all of the Interstate tunnels can be listed here.

Not all! You forgot some:

> 2di:
(snip)

> I-70: Eisenhower, Twin (at Clear Creek Canyon, CO), Wheeling (2-lane),
> Allegheny Mtn

How can you forget the beautiful Hanging Lake Tunnels on I-70 in
Glenwood Canyon CO, and just a few miles west of there, at the mouth
of the Canyon at Glenwood Springs, the twin tunnels that bypass the
Colorado River's last 180-degree turn in the canyon? Also, there are
twin tunnels on I-70 near the mouth of DeBeque Canyon on the Colorado
near Palisade.

(snip)

> Some notable non-interstate highway tunnels:
>
> - Lincoln and Holland. NYC also has a short tunnel leading from the FDR Drive
> to West St near the WTC site. As well as one under Park Ave. on a former
> railroad bed south of Grand Central.

How about the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel that goes from the west side,
under the Battery and under the East River mouth into Upper New York
Bay?

Steve

Oct 10, 2002, 1:05:45 AM10/10/02

He mentioned this as I-278 (it's I-478).

Alan Hamilton

Oct 10, 2002, 1:45:00 AM10/10/02
I-10 has a cut & cover tunnel in downtown Phoenix, AZ.
--
/
/ * / Alan Hamilton

Arizona Roads -- http://www.arizonaroads.com

Bill Grunnah

Oct 10, 2002, 1:54:20 AM10/10/02
While it's not a 100% done deal yet, current plans are to add twin 1.5-2.5
mile, 3 lane tunnels to IH-635 in north Dallas. While they may be
cut-and-cover, most likely they'll be deep bored, which means they'll
(supposedly) be the longest and widest mined automobile tunnels in the
world. More interestingly, they would (supposedly) be the only automobile
tunnels in the world built simply to add capacity to an existing road, as
opposed to getting around some obstacle. The type of rock in this area is
just about ideal for tunnel boring (soft enough to easily bore, but hard
enough that minimal additional support is required), so the cost of boring
the tunnels compares very well to the cost of the ROW required to instead
widen the highway through this corridor. Add the easier logistics of boring
a tunnel and it gets close to being a no-brainer.

- Bill

"Grover" <bbwma...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message

> Due to their cost and maintenance, highway tunnels tend to be few and far
> between when compared to bridges or viaducts. They are rare enough, in
fact,
> that all of the Interstate tunnels can be listed here.
>

> 2di:
> I-64: Hampton Roads
> I-64/77: WV Turnpike Memorial. 2-lane. Bypassed in 1987

> I-70: Eisenhower, Twin (at Clear Creek Canyon, CO), Wheeling (2-lane),
> Allegheny Mtn

> Some notable non-interstate highway tunnels:
>
> - Lincoln and Holland. NYC also has a short tunnel leading from the FDR
Drive
> to West St near the WTC site. As well as one under Park Ave. on a former
> railroad bed south of Grand Central.

Michael G. Koerner

Oct 10, 2002, 2:04:37 AM10/10/02
Grover wrote:

> Due to their cost and maintenance, highway tunnels tend to be few and far
> between when compared to bridges or viaducts. They are rare enough, in fact,
> that all of the Interstate tunnels can be listed here.
>
> 2di:

I-H3
I-10 (Mobile Harbor, Mobile, AL)
I-40 (Near Great Smokey Mountains N. P., NC, two eastbound only)

> I-64: Hampton Roads

I-64 (Louisville, KY)

> I-64/77: WV Turnpike Memorial. 2-lane. Bypassed in 1987
> I-70: Eisenhower, Twin (at Clear Creek Canyon, CO), Wheeling (2-lane),
> Allegheny Mtn

Also, there are tunnels on I-70 in the Glenwood Canyon, CO (3 westbound,
2 eastbound).

> I-76: Tuscarora Mtn, Kittatiny Mtn, Blue Mtn. Also Allegheny Mtn. (3 others
> were bypassed in the 1960s)
> [Note: The Allegheny Mtn. is slated by the PA Turnpike Commission to be
> bypassed]

I-77 (near Bluefield, WV)
I-77 (near Bland, VA)
I-80 (Green River, WY)
I-80 (Near Winnemucca, NV)

> I-90: Ted Williams
> I-93: Big Dig/Central Artery replacement, under construction
> I-95: Fort McHenry. Has four parallel 2-lane tubes.

I-95 (Cross-Bronx Expressway, NYC)

> 3di:
> I-278: Brooklyn-Battery
> I-279: Fort Pitt
> I-376: Squirrel Hill
> I-395: Third Street (Washington, DC). Some of the access routes to I-395 are
> tunnels themselves.
> I-476: Lehigh
> I-495: Queens-Midtown

I-540 (Near Winslow, AR)

> I-664: Monitor-Merrimac
> I-895: (Baltimore) Harbor
>
> Very short; some of these might just be long overpasses:
>
> I-10: tunnel at end of highway in Santa Monica
> I-66: Rosslyn
> I-71/US-50: Cincinnati riverfront?
> I-75: under Peachtree St in downtown Atlanta
> I-75/285: a single-lane tunnel is part of the northern interchange

Other 'cut-and-cover' tunnels:

I-H3
I-10 (downtown Phoenix, AZ)
I-35 (Duluth, MN - four seperate tunnels)
I-70 (under runway/taxiway at DEN - daylighted after airport was moved)
I-90/94 ('Hubbard's Cave', Chicago, IL)
I-94 (downtown Minneapolis, MN)
I-696 (Detroit, MI suburbs, built for religious reasons)

> Some notable non-interstate highway tunnels:
>
> - Lincoln and Holland. NYC also has a short tunnel leading from the FDR Drive
> to West St near the WTC site. As well as one under Park Ave. on a former
> railroad bed south of Grand Central.

The Holland Tunnel is I-78.

> - Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (US-13)
> - Liberty Tunnels -- aka "Liberty Tubes" by the Pittsburgh locals.
> - "Tunnel to Canada" -- from Detroit to Windsor.
> - 2 new tunnels in Trenton, NJ (US-29) and Atlantic City.
> - Road tunnel in downtown Pittsburgh?
> - Alaska has modified a long railroad tunnel for use by trains or highway
> traffic (at different times, of course). Single lane.

Merritt Parkway near Bridgeport, CT.
There are numerous tunnels on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Also, there are *MANY* tunnels on lesser roads in the USA. It would
take months to catalog then all.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________

Kurumi

Oct 10, 2002, 2:13:12 AM10/10/02
In article <3DA4E3B3...@pobox.upenn.edu>, Exile on Market Street
<smi...@pobox.upenn.edu> wrote:

[snip]

> Also in this category [non-interstate highway tunnels]:

> Sumner and Callahan Tunnels, Boston
> Storrow Drive, eastbound only, from Exeter St to Embankment Road, Boston
> (cut and cover)
> West Hill (not sure this is correct name) Tunnel, Wilbur Cross Pkwy,
> West Haven, CT
> Hill Street Tunnels, Pasadena Fwy, Los Angeles

West Rock Tunnel on the Wilbur Cross Pkwy (CT 15), New Haven. Opened in
1949. Reported to be the only tunnel through a hill in New England.

There's also a cap over I-84 in downtown Hartford. On westbound I-84,
the entrance reads "Welcome to Hartford", then you plunge into a dark
tunnel. Oh well.

--
Kurumi http://kurumi.com/
3di's, Conn. Roads, maps, interchanges

Michael G. Koerner

Oct 10, 2002, 2:14:24 AM10/10/02

That's not an interstate. The 'Congress Extension' is a glorified city street.

What he is thinking of is 'Hubbard's Cave', located on I-90/94 under the
'throat' of the former CNW station.

Stanley Cline

Oct 10, 2002, 2:51:45 AM10/10/02
On 09 Oct 2002 22:14:55 GMT, bbwma...@aol.comnospam (Grover) wrote:

>Some notable non-interstate highway tunnels:
>
>- Lincoln and Holland. NYC also has a short tunnel leading from the FDR Drive

<snip>

Non-Interstate freeway: GA 400 in Atlanta - short tunnel goes
directly under a building; MARTA (rail system) tunnel runs between the
NB and SB GA 400 tunnels.

Also in Atlanta: There's talk about extending one of the runways at
Hartsfield; when that's complete, I-285 on the south side of the
airport will land up with a short cut-and-cover tunnel.

Lots of them: The Chattanooga, TN area has several tunnels through
various ridges, including ones that carry two multiplexed US routes
(41/76 and 11/64).

-SC
--
Stanley (roamer1) Cline, roadgeek and cellgeek in metro Atlanta, GA, USA
non-spam email: sc1 dash news at roamer1 dot org

SPUI

Oct 10, 2002, 6:19:31 AM10/10/02
I don't think it's been mentioned - I-195 has a cut and cover in Fall River MA,
complete with hazardous cargo detour signs.

Oscar Voss

Oct 10, 2002, 7:57:33 AM10/10/02
Michael G. Koerner wrote:

> Other 'cut-and-cover' tunnels:
>
> I-H3

Only the short Hospital Rock tunnels on H-3. The mile-long tunnels
taking H-3 through the Koolau Range were bored.

Justin

Oct 10, 2002, 10:24:05 AM10/10/02

"Bill Grunnah" <un...@no.way> wrote in message

> While it's not a 100% done deal yet, current plans are to add twin 1.5-2.5
> mile, 3 lane tunnels to IH-635 in north Dallas. While they may be
> cut-and-cover, most likely they'll be deep bored, which means they'll
> (supposedly) be the longest and widest mined automobile tunnels in the
> world. More interestingly, they would (supposedly) be the only automobile
> tunnels in the world built simply to add capacity to an existing road, as
> opposed to getting around some obstacle. The type of rock in this area is
> just about ideal for tunnel boring (soft enough to easily bore, but hard
> enough that minimal additional support is required), so the cost of boring
> the tunnels compares very well to the cost of the ROW required to instead
> widen the highway through this corridor. Add the easier logistics of
boring
> a tunnel and it gets close to being a no-brainer.
>
> - Bill

That's not going to happen, in a million years :)

Justin

Michael G. Koerner

Oct 10, 2002, 12:34:49 PM10/10/02
Oscar Voss wrote:

> Michael G. Koerner wrote:
>
> > Other 'cut-and-cover' tunnels:
> >
> > I-H3
>
> Only the short Hospital Rock tunnels on H-3. The mile-long tunnels
> taking H-3 through the Koolau Range were bored.

That's right, I simply forgot their respective names.

:-)

Bill Grunnah

Oct 10, 2002, 1:22:59 PM10/10/02

"Justin" <jco...@removethisairmail.net> wrote in message

Not according to TXDOT. From
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/insdtdot/geodist/dal/mis/ih635/nownews.htm:

"West Section Freeway and Tunnel Sections – This is one of the main priority
projects for the LBJ Project to move into the design and right-of-way (ROW)
acquisition process. The lead-time necessary to secure consultant services,
initiate the design, secure funding, buy ROW and start construction make
this the top priority. This is a large contract for TxDOT. Appropriate
phasing and staging of the design and construction work will be paramount
for success. Local participation for project costs will help accelerate
this project. A push for this project will not impede making progress in
other areas of the corridor."

And from ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/dal/news/lbjnews5.pdf:

"The twin tunnels for the Managed HOV lanes between Preston and Midway Road
have been exhaustively studied for safety, constructibility, cost,
maintenance and long-term operation. Tunnel experts from around the world
have shared their experiences in an effort to better understand exactly what
tunnels would entail. The result was a finalized decision to
include the tunnels and adopt the goal of implementing them early in the
reconstruction of LBJ, prior to main lane improvements, in order to maintain
through-traffic on LBJ from the completed Dallas High Five Interchange.
Again, hats off to TxDOT for their thoroughness and willingness to embrace
bold new road solutions."

- Bill

Pete from Boston

Oct 10, 2002, 1:35:45 PM10/10/02
bbwma...@aol.comnospam (Grover) wrote in message news:<20021009181455...@mb-mq.aol.com>...
> Due to their cost and maintenance, highway tunnels tend to be few and far
> between when compared to bridges or viaducts. They are rare enough, in fact,
> that all of the Interstate tunnels can be listed here.
>
> 2di:
> I-93: Big Dig/Central Artery replacement, under construction

In the meantime, there is the Dewey Square Tunnel, a cut-and-cover
carrying both directions of the otherwise-elevated Central Artery
underground at its southern end. Both directions of this tunnel will
soon be closed and rehabilitated into the southern end of the
southbound depressed Central Artery (northbound traffic will use a new
alignment under Atlantic Avenue several blocks east).

> Some notable non-interstate highway tunnels:

I don't think the City Square Tunnel (US 1/Northeast Expressway) in
Boston's Charlestown neighborhood has been mentioned. Replaced a nasty
tangle of elevated double-decked ramps to the Tobin Bridge in the late
80s/early 90s in the so-called Central Artery North Area (CANA)
project.

David J. Greenberger

Oct 10, 2002, 3:09:39 PM10/10/02
mj...@duke.edu writes:

> Heck, if long underpasses count, i'll throw in a couple of those:
>
> I-95 in NYC "under the Apartments" (The Trans Manhattan Expressway)

This isn't an underpass. An apartment complex and a bus station sit
above the highway, but between buildings it's open to the sky.

> Also in NYC, there are several on FDR drive under Gracie Mansion, and the
> UN...although that might not be fully enclosed. There is the first Ave
> Tunnel as well.

And a handful more: the connector from the SB West Side Highway/West
Street (NY 9A) to the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel (I-478), a ramp
underneath the BBT toll plaza in Brooklyn, Bruckner Boulevard under the
Triboro Bridge interchange, Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard (aka 7th
Avenue) at its north end, the ramp from WB Queens Boulevard (NY 25) to
the SB Brooklyn-Queens Expressway (I-278), and probably some more.

http://plover.net/~green/?holltun-w-entr-portal
http://plover.net/~green/?linctun-i495-west
http://plover.net/~green/?linctun-e-entr
http://plover.net/~green/?qmt-w-appr_1
http://plover.net/~green/?qmt-w-appr_2
http://plover.net/~green/?qmt-w-ex_1
http://plover.net/~green/?qmt-w-ex_3
http://plover.net/~green/?parktun-nb-entr_3
http://plover.net/~green/?parktun-nb-ex
http://plover.net/~green/?erd-sb-tunnel-schurz
http://plover.net/~green/?1avtun-s-entr-g
http://plover.net/~green/?wsh-0203_5
http://plover.net/~green/?wsh-0203_6
http://plover.net/~green/?qb-wb-bqe-sides
http://plover.net/~green/?qb-wb-bqe_3
--
David J. Greenberger
New York, NY

David J. Greenberger

Oct 10, 2002, 3:09:48 PM10/10/02
Kurumi <sup...@ezula.com> writes:

> West Rock Tunnel on the Wilbur Cross Pkwy (CT 15), New Haven. Opened in
> 1949. Reported to be the only tunnel through a hill in New England.

Perhaps, but the NY 9D tunnel isn't far from New England.

David J. Greenberger

Oct 10, 2002, 3:09:49 PM10/10/02
"Michael G. Koerner" <mgk...@dataex.com> writes:

> What he is thinking of is 'Hubbard's Cave', located on I-90/94 under the
> 'throat' of the former CNW station.

That's a long underpass, not a tunnel. The Cross Bronx Expressway has
longer underpasses. They're not tunnels either.

Bill Mitchell

Oct 10, 2002, 6:27:07 PM10/10/02
"Michael G. Koerner" <mgk...@dataex.com> wrote in message

> I-95 (Cross-Bronx Expressway, NYC)

Under the Grand Concourse I believe, there's even a subway tube under
the Concourse and above the Cross Bronx. There's also 2 short tunnels
complete with ventalators(sic), one for each direction on the lower
GWB I-95 (Jersey side).

Pete Jenior

Oct 10, 2002, 8:37:20 PM10/10/02

> Also in Atlanta: There's talk about extending one of the runways at
> Hartsfield; when that's complete, I-285 on the south side of the
> airport will land up with a short cut-and-cover tunnel.

The front of the newspaper today has a picture of the giant dirt conveyer
system they have built to avoid having to truck int dirt, so I'd say its
going to happen.
--
-Pete Jenior - Cincinnati, Ohio
-Civil Engineering Major

Hank Eisenstein

Oct 10, 2002, 8:48:04 PM10/10/02

"David J. Greenberger" <dav...@email.com> wrote in message

> "Michael G. Koerner" <mgk...@dataex.com> writes:
>
> > What he is thinking of is 'Hubbard's Cave', located on I-90/94 under the
> > 'throat' of the former CNW station.
>
> That's a long underpass, not a tunnel. The Cross Bronx Expressway has
> longer underpasses. They're not tunnels either.

Hmm...how about where the Cross-Bronx goes through the ridge the Grand
Concourse sits on? It looks tunneled through rock to me. For that matter,
where else does a highway go under an already underground subway?
-Hank

Hank Eisenstein

Oct 10, 2002, 8:55:09 PM10/10/02

"Steve" <smal...@hackmit.edu> wrote in message

> Grover wrote:
> >
> > Due to their cost and maintenance, highway tunnels tend to be few and
far
> > between when compared to bridges or viaducts. They are rare enough, in
fact,
> > that all of the Interstate tunnels can be listed here.
> >
> > to West St near the WTC site. As well as one under Park Ave. on a
former
> > railroad bed south of Grand Central.

Old trolley tunnel. The tunnel on First Ave is, I believe, newer
construction.

> The first one is to duck under (!) the BBT I-478. FDR also tunnels
> under the UN building, which is fairly notable.

I wouldn't call it a tunnel any more than I would say the same of the
Trans-Manhattan. There are a number of buildings that are built on air
rights above the highway.
-Hank

Scott M. Kozel

Oct 10, 2002, 9:57:46 PM10/10/02
"Hank Eisenstein" <ni...@quuxuum.org> wrote:

> Hmm...how about where the Cross-Bronx goes through the ridge the Grand
> Concourse sits on? It looks tunneled through rock to me. For that matter,
> where else does a highway go under an already underground subway?

US-1 Roosevelt Expressway passes under the Broad Street Subway, in
Philadelphia.

--
Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites
Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C. http://www.roadstothefuture.com
Philadelphia and Delaware Valley http://www.pennways.com

mj...@duke.edu

Oct 10, 2002, 10:01:23 PM10/10/02

That one is definitely a tunnel.

I-95, Trans-Manhattan Expressway is still a tunnel IMO, just a 'cut and
cover' tunnel. I-95 in Manhattan is definitely in a cut, and part of it
is covered by the bus terminal. The part covered by the bus terminal is
certainly long enough to be a tunnel (a lot longer than it is wide).

What is the official difference between "long underpass" and "Tunnel"
anyway? And don't say ventilation systems, since one of the "long
underpasses" on the Cross Bronx has ventilation shafts (don't remember
which one) and the tunnels on I-40 in NC don't have them at all.

Michael Moroney

Oct 10, 2002, 11:10:59 PM10/10/02
mj...@duke.edu writes:

>> Hmm...how about where the Cross-Bronx goes through the ridge the Grand
>> Concourse sits on? It looks tunneled through rock to me. For that matter,
>> where else does a highway go under an already underground subway?

The "Big Dig" (soon to be I-93) passes under Boston's Red Line subway,
which passes under a future busway, which passes under a subway lobby,
which passes under city streets.

How's that?

Exile on Market Street

Oct 10, 2002, 11:29:46 PM10/10/02
Kurumi wrote:

> West Rock Tunnel on the Wilbur Cross Pkwy (CT 15), New Haven. Opened in
> 1949. Reported to be the only tunnel through a hill in New England.

Thanks. And it's the only *highway* tunnel through a hill. (Or are we
distinguishing between a hill and a mountain? In either case, there's
the Hoosac, which allowed the Boston and Albany to actually reach Albany.)

--Sandy, who always wondered when that tunnel opened--the lettering on
the plaque is (as usual) too small to decipher at highway speed--but
thought the stone facing and lettering looked late-'40s-ish. And
speaking of the Wilbur Cross, why was the road never upgraded between
?Berlin? and Hartford? (The local road is the Berlin Turnpike, IIRC.)

--
Sandy Smith, Exile on Market Street, Philadelphia smi...@pobox.upenn.edu
Managing Editor, _Penn Current_ cur...@pobox.upenn.edu
Penn Web Team Member webm...@isc.upenn.edu
I speak for myself here, not Penn http://pobox.upenn.edu/~smiths/

"I have heard it said that no good deed goes unpunished, but I don't
intend to let that discourage me."
---------------------Walter Annenberg (1908-2002), on his philanthropy--

Exile on Market Street

Oct 10, 2002, 11:39:37 PM10/10/02
Joe Rouse wrote:

> There's also the Posey and Webster tubes connecting Oakland, CA with
> Alameda.

Surprised you didn't mention the Caldecott Tunnel as well.

Michael G. Koerner

Oct 10, 2002, 11:38:26 PM10/10/02

Doesn't that underwater Big Dig tunnel go OVER the Red Line?

Steve

Oct 11, 2002, 12:48:48 AM10/11/02
Exile on Market Street wrote:

> Kurumi wrote:
> >
> > West Rock Tunnel on the Wilbur Cross Pkwy (CT 15), New Haven. Opened in
> > 1949. Reported to be the only tunnel through a hill in New England.
> >

> Thanks. And it's the only *highway* tunnel through a hill. (Or are we
> distinguishing between a hill and a mountain? In either case, there's
> the Hoosac, which allowed the Boston and Albany to actually reach Albany.)
>
> --Sandy, who always wondered when that tunnel opened--the lettering on
> the plaque is (as usual) too small to decipher at highway speed--but
> thought the stone facing and lettering looked late-'40s-ish. And
> speaking of the Wilbur Cross, why was the road never upgraded between
> ?Berlin? and Hartford? (The local road is the Berlin Turnpike, IIRC.)

Once you get to I-91 the first time, freeway traffic can use that, so
there's no need to have a parallel freeway when it would mean moving or
closing local businesses. Then back in Hartford, 91N-84E and 84W-91S
traffic uses it, and it's a freeway again.
--
Steve from New Jersey
Civil Engineering (Course 1) at MIT

SPUI

Oct 11, 2002, 1:20:22 AM10/11/02

> Michael Moroney wrote:

> > The "Big Dig" (soon to be I-93) passes under Boston's Red Line subway,
> > which passes under a future busway, which passes under a subway lobby,
> > which passes under city streets.
>
> Doesn't that underwater Big Dig tunnel go OVER the Red Line?

The underwater one on I-90 may. But I-93 goes under (I-93 goes over the blue
line).

John Anderson

Oct 11, 2002, 7:04:43 AM10/11/02
Exile on Market Street <smi...@pobox.upenn.edu> wrote in message news:<3DA4E3B3...@pobox.upenn.edu>...
> mj...@duke.edu wrote:
> >
> And what then of Seattle's "Freeway Park" over I-5? Or Chicago's Lower
> Wacker Drive? (See where this is going? I think you opened a can of
> worms. Of all the structures I've listed above, the only one I'd
> consider a tunnel is the Dock/Spruce St stretch of I-95.)

Isn't that I-90 that has the park above it?
Also, there's a ramp from Queens Blvd (NY25) westbound to the Brooklyn
Queens Expressway (I-278) westbound that is a tunnel.

Monte Castleman

Oct 11, 2002, 10:07:36 AM10/11/02
>I-94 (downtown Minneapolis, MN)
Besides the well known Lowry Hill Tunnel, don't forget the tunnel where
eastbound I-94 goes under MN 65. Also, if ramps count, WB MN 55 to WB I-94 as
well as 5th & 6th streets to west I-94 in St. Paul
--
--^\____
| /
| / Monte Castleman, <<Spamfilter in Use>>
| | Bloomington, MN to email, remove the
| | "q" from my address
|_____\

David J. Greenberger

Oct 11, 2002, 12:53:14 PM10/11/02
mj...@duke.edu writes:

> On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Hank Eisenstein wrote:
>

> > "David J. Greenberger" <dav...@email.com> wrote in message

> > > That's a long underpass, not a tunnel. The Cross Bronx Expressway
> > > has longer underpasses. They're not tunnels either.
> >
> > Hmm...how about where the Cross-Bronx goes through the ridge the
> > Grand Concourse sits on? It looks tunneled through rock to me. For
> > that matter, where else does a highway go under an already
> > underground subway?
>

> That one is definitely a tunnel.

I'll grant that one.

The 79th Street transverse road through Central Park tunnels through
rock near Belvedere Castle.

> I-95, Trans-Manhattan Expressway is still a tunnel IMO, just a 'cut and
> cover' tunnel. I-95 in Manhattan is definitely in a cut, and part of it
> is covered by the bus terminal. The part covered by the bus terminal is
> certainly long enough to be a tunnel (a lot longer than it is wide).

It's only covered where buildings happen to cover it. It's not a tunnel
in any sense of the word.

Take a walk around the area. You can see (and smell) the traffic on the
expressway from the surrounding streets.

If it's in a tunnel, explain how I got these photographs:
http://plover.net/~green/?tme-eb-ex-amst-g
http://plover.net/~green/?tme-across-g

> What is the official difference between "long underpass" and "Tunnel"
> anyway? And don't say ventilation systems, since one of the "long
> underpasses" on the Cross Bronx has ventilation shafts (don't remember
> which one) and the tunnels on I-40 in NC don't have them at all.

Strictly speaking, if it's cut-and-cover, I don't think it's a tunnel.
In casual usage, I'd say it's generally not called a tunnel if the road
is covered by a single item or a distinct series of items, like other
roads or buildings, unless those items predate the road and weren't
removed to make way for the ROW underneath.

Michael Moroney

Oct 11, 2002, 6:12:41 PM10/11/02
"Michael G. Koerner" <mgk...@dataex.com> writes:

>> The "Big Dig" (soon to be I-93) passes under Boston's Red Line subway,
>> which passes under a future busway, which passes under a subway lobby,
>> which passes under city streets.

>Doesn't that underwater Big Dig tunnel go OVER the Red Line?

The Fort Point Channel portion (I-90) goes over the Red Line.
The "slay the green monster" portion (I-93) goes under the Red Line at
South Station, and there there are two underground levels above the Red
Line. I-93 also goes over the Blue Line.

-Mike

Ben Kiene

Oct 12, 2002, 12:11:39 AM10/12/02

Grover wrote:

> Due to their cost and maintenance, highway tunnels tend to be few and far
> between when compared to bridges or viaducts. They are rare enough, in fact,
> that all of the Interstate tunnels can be listed here.
>

> 2di:
> I-64: Hampton Roads
> I-64/77: WV Turnpike Memorial. 2-lane. Bypassed in 1987
> I-70: Eisenhower, Twin (at Clear Creek Canyon, CO), Wheeling (2-lane),
> Allegheny Mtn

I-70 in Colorado has two more double-bore tunnels. There is the Hanging Lake
Tunnel in Glenwood Canyon and another tunnel between Glenwood Springs and Grand
Junction, near De Beque, IIRC. I'm not sure what the name of the second one is,
and I also don't know what the official name is for the "Twin Tunnels" in Clear
Creek Canyon.

I-80 in Wyoming has a tunnel as well, near Green River, I think.

I-10 has a cut-and-cover tunnel in Phoenix, AZ.

Ben Kiene

Exile on Market Street

Oct 12, 2002, 2:41:08 AM10/12/02

Which leads me to another bit of conjecture:

Much as I-80 in Pennsylvania was originally proposed as a further
extension of the Turnpike System, Connecticut had originally planned to
complete the cross-state parkway (Merritt/Wilbur Cross) from
Massachusetts (Sturbridge) to New York on its own, but when the
Interstate System was laid out, reasons to complete the stretch that
would parallel or follow I-91 became moot.

Matthew E. Salek

Oct 12, 2002, 7:38:06 PM10/12/02
Ben Kiene at bki...@attbi.com wrote:

> Grover wrote:
>
>> Due to their cost and maintenance, highway tunnels tend to be few and far
>> between when compared to bridges or viaducts. They are rare enough, in fact,
>> that all of the Interstate tunnels can be listed here.
>>

>> I-70: Eisenhower, Twin (at Clear Creek Canyon, CO), Wheeling (2-lane),
>> Allegheny Mtn
>>

> I-70 in Colorado has two more double-bore tunnels. There is the Hanging Lake
> Tunnel in Glenwood Canyon and another tunnel between Glenwood Springs and
> Grand Junction, near De Beque, IIRC. I'm not sure what the name of the second
> one is, and I also don't know what the official name is for the "Twin Tunnels"
> in Clear Creek Canyon.

There are three sets of tunnels in Glenwood Canyon: No Name, Hanging Lake,
and Reverse Curve (WB only). The twin-bore tunnel near De Beque is called
the Beavertail Tunnel in CDOT's structure list. The "Twin Tunnels" near
Idaho Springs don't have an official name in the CDOT list, but that's what
everyone calls them.

Has I-35 in downtown Duluth, MN been mentioned?

--
Matthew E. Salek, E.I. ** Spam filter in use. Remove numbers **
Denver, Colorado ** from e-mail address to reply. **

Kenny Dancy

Oct 12, 2002, 9:19:40 PM10/12/02

"Grover" <bbwma...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message

> I-10: tunnel at end of highway in Santa Monica

Doesn't I-10 have a tunnel in Mobile, AL also

SloRide9430

Oct 12, 2002, 11:03:06 PM10/12/02
>Doesn't I-10 have a tunnel in Mobile, AL also

yes.

Also, I may have missed it, but has anyone mentioned the two westbound and one
eastbound tunnels on I-40 in the Pigeon River Gorge in North Carolina?

MCT

Oct 14, 2002, 12:18:36 AM10/14/02
<<Thanks. And it's the only *highway* tunnel [in New England] through a

hill. (Or are we distinguishing between a hill and a mountain? In either
case, there's the Hoosac, which allowed the Boston and Albany to
actually reach Albany.)>>

Actually, the Hoosac Tunnel isn't on the old Boston & Albany -- the B&A
is further south, roughly parallel to the Massachusetts Turnpike. I
think the B&A has a small tunnel near the MA/NY state line, but nothing
on the scale of the Hoosac.

The B&A was built earlier than the line the Hoosac is on, and the B&A
was deliberately built in the one place where a railroad could cross the
Berkshires without any really serious tunnelling. The B&A was always
the more important of the two rail lines between the Boston and Albany
areas. It's probably no coincidence that subseqent highways through the
region have been routed similarly (first US 20, then the Mass
Pike/I-90). The obstacle that kept the B&A from reaching Albany for a
while back in the 19th century was the Hudson River, which wasn't
bridged until about 20-25 years after the rest of the line was complete.

The Hoosac Tunnel is on a line that was orignally controlled by the
Fitchburg Railroad, which was absorbed into the Boston & Maine system
around 1900. The line roughly paralleled modern-day MA 2; its western
end was in Troy, NY or Rotterdam Junction, NY, depending on whch branch
you used.

David Ross

Oct 14, 2002, 4:11:51 AM10/14/02

> Joe Rouse wrote:
>
> > There's also the Posey and Webster tubes connecting Oakland, CA with
> > Alameda.
>
> Surprised you didn't mention the Caldecott Tunnel as well.

Posey and Webster tubes are not on an interstate. Neighter is Caldecott
(it's CA24)

--
David Ross
http://home.attbi.com/~damiross/

Clark F. Morris, Jr.

Oct 14, 2002, 7:55:47 PM10/14/02
The Hoosac Tunnel is on the Guilford Railroad, formerly the Boston and
Maine Railroad, not the Boston and Albany.

Michael Moroney

Oct 14, 2002, 11:16:49 PM10/14/02
maggie...@webtv.net (MCT) writes:

><<Thanks. And it's the only *highway* tunnel [in New England] through a
>hill. (Or are we distinguishing between a hill and a mountain? In either
>case, there's the Hoosac, which allowed the Boston and Albany to
>actually reach Albany.)>>

>Actually, the Hoosac Tunnel isn't on the old Boston & Albany -- the B&A
>is further south, roughly parallel to the Massachusetts Turnpike. I
>think the B&A has a small tunnel near the MA/NY state line, but nothing
>on the scale of the Hoosac.

There is in fact a small tunnel on the Boston and Albany line, near the
state line. Went through it on Amtrak.

There was a third Mass. rail line, called the Central Mass line I think.
I don't know how far west it went. It got diverted when the Wachusett
Reservoir was built, and the diverted line went through a small tunnel
which exited on what must have been an impressive trestle over the
Nashua River valley just downstream of the Wachusett Reservoir dam.
Must have been a surprise for passengers, one second you're in a
dark tunnel next you're high in the air.

I believe the entire line is abandoned now.

-Mike

N. Yehosephat@tepidmail.com The Man Who Sold The World

Oct 15, 2002, 8:36:22 AM10/15/02
Exile on Market Street wrote:

> Kurumi wrote:
> >
> > West Rock Tunnel on the Wilbur Cross Pkwy (CT 15), New Haven. Opened in
> > 1949. Reported to be the only tunnel through a hill in New England.
> >

> Thanks. And it's the only *highway* tunnel through a hill. (Or are we
> distinguishing between a hill and a mountain? In either case, there's
> the Hoosac, which allowed the Boston and Albany to actually reach Albany.)

The Hoosac Tunnel is on the Boston & Maine Railroad (now
Guilford)...methinks you're speaking of State Line Tunnel on the B&A.
--
Craig Zeni - REPLY TO -->> clzeni666 at mindspring dot com
Remove the Sign Of The Beast to reply!

Salve, socie. Pone mihi, sodes, alteram locustam marinam in caminello.

MCT

Oct 15, 2002, 10:24:58 AM10/15/02
<<There was a third Mass. rail line, called the Central Mass line I
think. I don't know how far west it went.>>

Northampton -- there was never any serious thought to extending it
through the rough terrain to the west of there. This line was built
after the other two, and was always far less important than the others
(even today, how much road traffic is there between Boston and
Northampton?). It paralleled other rail lines for long stretches of its
route, and the few towns of significant size on it were already served
by other existing rail lines. From 1887 on, it was part of the Boston &
Maine system, but once the B&M bought the Fitchburg/Hoosac Tunnel line
in 1900, the Central Mass. was pretty much excess trackage.

<<I believe the entire line is abandoned now.>>

If anything's left, it's just a few short stubs here and there. The
part west of Wachusett Reservoir had already been mostly abandoned by
the 1940s, except for the far west end. Most of the section east of
Wachusett Reservoir lasted into the 1970s (IIRC, there was still MBTA
commuter service over part of the line until 1971), but saw very little
traffic towards the end.

Much of the old ROW is still visible (e.g., off of US 20 in Sudbury, off
of MA 62 in Berlin, the supports for the trestle in Clinton, off of MA
140 in West Boylston), and some has been rail-trailed. The bridge that
carried the line across the Connecticut River at Northampton is still
standing, just north of the MA 9 bridge, and is now part of a rail
trail.

SP Cook

Oct 16, 2002, 6:24:13 AM10/16/02
"Scott M. Kozel" <koz...@attbi.com> wrote in message > Virginia -

> I-77 Big Walker Mountain Tunnel
> I-77 East River Mountain Tunnel

Nitpick: The East River Mountain Tunnel is in both WV and VA. The
state line is the top of the mountain, so by implication the state
line is the middle of the tunnel. WV paid for half its construction
costs. VDOT manages the tunnel and WVDOT send them a check for half
the maintance costs every year.

SP Cook

Scott M. Kozel

Oct 16, 2002, 6:38:03 AM10/16/02

I've always acknowledged those facts, I just wasn't clear enough in my

"The East River Mountain Tunnel, 5,412 feet long, has its south portal
in Virginia and its north portal in West Virginia; one of only two
places in the U.S. where a mountain tunnel crosses beneath a state
border. The new Cumberland Gap tunnel (opened Oct. 1996) runs from
Tennessee to Kentucky, barely missing the corner of Virginia about 1/3
mile away. The East River Mountain Tunnel was constructed by Virginia,
funded by both states, and is operated by Virginia".

http://www.roadstothefuture.com/I81_I77_VA.html

I also have some links about that tunnel in my article --

http://www.bland.k12.va.us/bland/rocky/tunnels.html
http://www.bland.k12.va.us/bland/rocky/ertunnel.html
http://www.bland.k12.va.us/bland/rocky/tunneltranscripts.html
http://www.bland.k12.va.us/bland/rocky/charliefore.html

mj...@duke.edu

Oct 16, 2002, 1:37:32 PM10/16/02

There is even a state line sign in the middle of the Tunnel

Arif Khokar

Oct 16, 2002, 11:06:14 PM10/16/02
mj...@duke.edu wrote:

> There is even a state line sign in the middle of the Tunnel

Not that I've seen. The state sign (VA or WV depending on which
direction you're proceding) do not appear until you exit the tunnel.

Exile on Market Street

Oct 16, 2002, 11:42:34 PM10/16/02
The Man Who Sold The World wrote:
> Exile on Market Street wrote:

>>Thanks. And it's the only *highway* tunnel through a hill. (Or are we
>>distinguishing between a hill and a mountain? In either case, there's
>>the Hoosac, which allowed the Boston and Albany to actually reach Albany.)
>

> The Hoosac Tunnel is on the Boston & Maine Railroad (now
> Guilford)...methinks you're speaking of State Line Tunnel on the B&A.

No, I was thinking of the Hoosac, and I got the railroad wrong. Not
having traveled from Boston to Albany by rail, I hadn't even heard about
the State Line Tunnel.

jaylenrey...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2020, 2:24:43 AM6/10/20
You forgot the 1-10 tunnel in mobile alabama

Arthur Whitter

Jun 10, 2020, 9:33:22 AM6/10/20
On Wednesday, October 9, 2002 at 4:14:55 PM UTC-6, Grover wrote:
> Due to their cost and maintenance, highway tunnels tend to be few and far
> between when compared to bridges or viaducts. They are rare enough, in fact,
> that all of the Interstate tunnels can be listed here.
>
> 2di:
> I-64: Hampton Roads
> I-64/77: WV Turnpike Memorial. 2-lane. Bypassed in 1987
> I-70: Eisenhower, Twin (at Clear Creek Canyon, CO), Wheeling (2-lane),
> Allegheny Mtn
> I-76: Tuscarora Mtn, Kittatiny Mtn, Blue Mtn. Also Allegheny Mtn. (3 others
> were bypassed in the 1960s)
> [Note: The Allegheny Mtn. is slated by the PA Turnpike Commission to be
> bypassed]
> I-90: Ted Williams
> I-93: Big Dig/Central Artery replacement, under construction
> I-95: Fort McHenry. Has four parallel 2-lane tubes.
>
> 3di:
> I-278: Brooklyn-Battery
> I-279: Fort Pitt
> I-376: Squirrel Hill
> I-395: Third Street (Washington, DC). Some of the access routes to I-395 are
> tunnels themselves.
> I-476: Lehigh
> I-495: Queens-Midtown
> I-664: Monitor-Merrimac
> I-895: (Baltimore) Harbor
>
> Very short; some of these might just be long overpasses:
>
> I-10: tunnel at end of highway in Santa Monica
> I-66: Rosslyn
> I-71/US-50: Cincinnati riverfront?
> I-75: under Peachtree St in downtown Atlanta
> I-75/285: a single-lane tunnel is part of the northern interchange
>
> Some notable non-interstate highway tunnels:
>
> - Lincoln and Holland. NYC also has a short tunnel leading from the FDR Drive
> to West St near the WTC site. As well as one under Park Ave. on a former
> railroad bed south of Grand Central.
> - Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (US-13)
> - Liberty Tunnels -- aka "Liberty Tubes" by the Pittsburgh locals.
> - "Tunnel to Canada" -- from Detroit to Windsor.
> - 2 new tunnels in Trenton, NJ (US-29) and Atlantic City.
> - Road tunnel in downtown Pittsburgh?
> - Alaska has modified a long railroad tunnel for use by trains or highway
> traffic (at different times, of course). Single lane.

I didn't see I-10 in Phoenix (under the Japanese Friendship Garden, between the 7th Avenue and 7th Street exits) on that list.

John Levine

Jun 10, 2020, 2:16:54 PM6/10/20
In article <745c710d-d7ba-4812...@googlegroups.com>,
Arthur Whitter <arthur....@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Wednesday, October 9, 2002 at 4:14:55 PM UTC-6, Grover wrote:
>> Due to their cost and maintenance, highway tunnels tend to be few and far
>> between when compared to bridges or viaducts. They are rare enough, in fact,
>> that all of the Interstate tunnels can be listed here. ...

>I didn't see I-10 in Phoenix (under the Japanese Friendship Garden, between the 7th Avenue and 7th Street exits) on that list.

That post is eighteen years old. Perhaps it hadn't been built yet.

--
Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Kenny McCormack

Jun 10, 2020, 2:40:47 PM6/10/20
In article <rbr82k$qeh$1...@gal.iecc.com>, John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:
>In article <745c710d-d7ba-4812...@googlegroups.com>,
>Arthur Whitter <arthur....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On Wednesday, October 9, 2002 at 4:14:55 PM UTC-6, Grover wrote:
>>> Due to their cost and maintenance, highway tunnels tend to be few
>>> and far between when compared to bridges or viaducts. They are rare
>>> enough, in fact, that all of the Interstate tunnels can be listed
>>> here. ...
>
>>I didn't see I-10 in Phoenix (under the Japanese Friendship Garden,
>>between the 7th Avenue and 7th Street exits) on that list.
>
>That post is eighteen years old. Perhaps it hadn't been built yet.

That's no excuse! The OP should have updated/corrected it.

--
Just for a change of pace, this sig is *not* an obscure reference to
comp.lang.c...

T.J. Higgins

Jun 10, 2020, 6:11:50 PM6/10/20
In article <rbr9fd$94p$2...@news.xmission.com>, Kenny McCormack wrote:
>In article <rbr82k$qeh$1...@gal.iecc.com>, John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:
>>In article <745c710d-d7ba-4812...@googlegroups.com>,
>>Arthur Whitter <arthur....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I didn't see I-10 in Phoenix (under the Japanese Friendship Garden,
>>>between the 7th Avenue and 7th Street exits) on that list.
>>
>>That post is eighteen years old. Perhaps it hadn't been built yet.
>
>That's no excuse! The OP should have updated/corrected it.

Since we're on the subject: I-40 in western North Carolina has
some tunnels.
"When the tunnels opened in 1968 they were the first Interstate
tunnels east of Mississippi River."
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_40_in_North_Carolina#Route_description

--
TJH